Not open for further replies.

Lewis!

フローラルの専門店
Nebulae
if neb was as technically impressive as Willard i would be very very happy

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
The issue a lot of people have with WN is a combination of Atle's own actions while he was a community member here (he left on very poor terms and was hella manipulative) and the overall attitude they had in trying to push WN as some 'neb killer' for years behind closed doors and eventually in public.

Does WN have a cool script? Yeah they have some neat features. That's it. They don't actually know how to run a server that's designed to last. That's not me trying to throw shade, its true from what everyone has said and what I've personally seen. They've trapped themselves in 'beta tests' hoping that when the server launches they'll have ironed out all the issues but they had six months and some things are outright worse than before and most stuff hasn't changed at all.

Also WN uses the framework & base UI that @alex made too, so - literally everyone does if they use Helix. They actually have a lot less shit than we do, they just made it look shiny so you don't realise.

Takyon

Proton
Nebulae
The issue a lot of people have with WN is a combination of Atle's own actions while he was a community member here (he left on very poor terms and was hella manipulative) and the overall attitude they had in trying to push WN as some 'neb killer' for years behind closed doors and eventually in public.

Does WN have a cool script? Yeah they have some neat features. That's it. They don't actually know how to run a server that's designed to last. That's not me trying to throw shade, its true from what everyone has said and what I've personally seen. They've trapped themselves in 'beta tests' hoping that when the server launches they'll have ironed out all the issues but they had six months and some things are outright worse than before and most stuff hasn't changed at all.
Atle himself barely even interacts with his own community. I don't know if that's because he's busy with other stuff or what. And you're absolutely correct about them not being able to design something made to last. It's like they pick the worst people to run each faction with very few exceptions. The CP faction lead bases on whether or not he's doing a good job or not by how much he's "steamrolling" the other factions. And yes, those are his actual words.

Reactions: List

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Anyway not to talk shit cause best of luck to them, but in the end we're us and they're them.

Let them do their own thing; I wouldn't call them "rivals" or "competitors" because we've lasted five years and they don't even have an actual server up yet - they're still a WIP. They lean into visual fidelity rather than gameplay and that's fine.

maxi

maxiboy
Nebulae
havemt p;layed it

I p;ayed tennarova and that was really fun to do

I miss that but I was actually PKed, and this was because, well, I punched a woman

I don't know why people can't just let servers co-exist though?

Neb has its stability, its the enduring product,

Willard has its tech, much like TN did,

Can't we just appreciate the merits of both?

Maxi

FreeSpy

Atom
Nebulae
i feel like what maxi said is really good

i hopped on the server once, and i looked at the UI and felt really compelled by it, i loved it, but i dont like the staff. applying for a faction and getting denied for not being enthusiastic about playing a video game i've been playing for like 4 years now really doesn't help a lot to improve a standing with a server

maxi

maxiboy
Nebulae
A serious post on the matter,

I very much feel that hl2rp has evolved into a one-server status quo. Other games/genres have many serves that work and draw players in, such as GTA RP, star wars RP, prop hunt, etc. HL2RP is dominated by neb, and a lot of people seem reluctant at the idea of sharing a playerbase.

The sharing of a playerbase is healthy for both servers, and it's immature for people to shit on one server because of their experience with neb. I haven't played WN and I doubt I will, I also don't really know who Atle is but good on him for making a server, I guess.

HL2RP doesn't need to be so divisive. Players can love the genre from any server, and nebulous, whilst the biggest and unarguably the most stable, does not have nor really deserve a monopoly on the genre. We are not a fortress, we are susceptible to competition and if WN is willing to provide that, we should act on it, not make threads to see if others agree with the view that "willard bad =(".

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
A serious post on the matter,

I very much feel that hl2rp has evolved into a one-server status quo. Other games/genres have many serves that work and draw players in, such as GTA RP, star wars RP, prop hunt, etc. HL2RP is dominated by neb, and a lot of people seem reluctant at the idea of sharing a playerbase.

The sharing of a playerbase is healthy for both servers, and it's immature for people to shit on one server because of their experience with neb. I haven't played WN and I doubt I will, I also don't really know who Atle is but good on him for making a server, I guess.

HL2RP doesn't need to be so divisive. Players can love the genre from any server, and nebulous, whilst the biggest and unarguably the most stable, does not have nor really deserve a monopoly on the genre. We are not a fortress, we are susceptible to competition and if WN is willing to provide that, we should act on it, not make threads to see if others agree with the view that "willard bad =(".

competition is good when both sides agree there is competition

in this case one side wanted to run the other out of business, and the other continued business as usual

in order to compete with neb, you'd need to somehow amass nearly 10 years worth of coding and people together, because that's what we're up to at this point

maxi

maxiboy
Nebulae

in this case one side wanted to run the other out of business, and the other continued business as usual

in order to compete with neb, you'd need to somehow amass nearly 10 years worth of coding and people together, because that's what we're up to at this point
Nebulous does not have every source dev that works on HL2RP

Whilst we have the advantage, we cannot be comfortable with it.

Takyon

Proton
Nebulae

I don't necessarily agree with this. The history here is nice, but you don't need to be around for a long time to get big and compete with other servers. Willard is a good example of this.

PilotBland

community antagonizer
Nebulae
willard fundamentally is flawed.

roleplayers on at the moment is p good. their roleplay is alright.

but grinding exists and thats going to attract you know, the people who were here for a while

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I don't necessarily agree with this. The history here is nice, but you don't need to be around for a long time to get big and compete with other servers. Willard is a good example of this.

imo willard was a horrible example

it was mostly ran by people who were effectively considering this to be some kind of grudge match. they were mostly spiteful as far as i've seen, and most of them seemed to be poor leaders and administrators

Takyon

Proton
Nebulae
imo willard was a horrible example

it was mostly ran by people who were effectively considering this to be some kind of grudge match. they were mostly spiteful as far as i've seen, and most of them seemed to be poor leaders and administrators
I agree but you don't need to be around for ten years to compete with Nebulous.

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

not exactly what i mean

you'd need the equivalent worth of 10 years of work and people

you can be an amazing coder, but if you dont know people, your server won't be popular, because no one will join it to see that it's good

that was the thing i was aiming for

Deleted member 4609

Doomboy / Femguy
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I mean to be fair Willard isn't /that/ technically or mechanically powerful compared to other communities, they just have a lot of talented artists and media developers, and that's okay, good on them really because it works, shit looks very refined that they post and you can't blame people for being attracted to what is immediately visually appealing.

It kinda makes me wish Neb had a UI overhaul or something but I appreciate the fact it's definitely always gonna feel cozy to me, Neb's style whilst it may be rather basic compared to other servers is always going to be familiar and practical over flashy, and that's fine.

It's a shame that it seems everything beyond that is rather flawed from what I've heard regarding WN, I don't have any issues w/ Willard I've never once played it myself, only hear snippets of some drama and strengths through the grapevine or have had problems with one or two individuals throwing shade my way on their forums that I haven't spoken to or provoked in multiple years.

Wherever people find their RP is fine I'm not one to complain but to essentially base a lot of your brand and image off of 'we're better than that other server c:' feels stupid given how much of their staff team seem to have a lot of hate towards this community.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Its more so that we don't really 'compete' with anyone. The idea of servers fighting and trying to one-up one another is a practice that, imo, should have died back in 2013.

Most of the other big communities in our sphere we were/are on good terms with - even the TN guys got a thumbs up for doing cool stuff.

The difference between them and WN is that while they may deny it now, WN wasn't built just to make a community; they always wanted to try and cripple Neb by doing it. When @Subeh got perma'd and Atle tried to get him to be staff he got talking to Mendelivius and it was made quite clear that it was a matter of bad blood and none of the upper management at the time liked Nebulous or wanted to be on good terms with us. They were making a community specifically to try and gut us and steal our playerbase. That was Atle's mandate at the time.

I wish the chat logs had been saved but this was several years ago so sadly they're not and those that were posted were mysteriously removed by Pastebin around the time WN launched in December.

If you bring up the idea now it'll be met with denial or you'll just be accused of trying to start drama and dismissed but that's why the whole thing bothers me so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.