Zombine's Coding Cabana

overki11

Electron
Nebulae
@Zombine question, is there a crash course somewhere on CLuaParticles? I need to make cool looking particles but not much info is on the wiki.

any help appreciated thanks i dont have any other friends to ask

Reactions: List

Zombine

DevelopersDevelopersDevelop
Nebulae
@Zombine question, is there a crash course somewhere on CLuaParticles?

nope. try dissecting some effect files from some addons, then you'll see how it works.
if you really want nice looking particles, though, you should look into creating particles with the source engine's built-in particle creator.

Lua-defined particle effects generally only go so far, and are much more time consuming to make look nice, the only attractive option being it's easier to make particles.

Zak

Resident xenophile
Nebulae
Moonshot cannon from borderlands 2/PS

having the projectile arc slightly would look super sexy instead of just travelling in a straight line

i dunno how the fuck catmull-rom splines work but maybe that's something you can do, nick code from the catmull-rom cameras or that rollercoaster track creator

Zombine

Nebulae
having the projectile arc slightly would look super sexy instead of just travelling in a straight line

i dunno how the fuck catmull-rom splines work but maybe that's something you can do, nick code from the catmull-rom cameras or that rollercoaster track creator

yeah i'm working on doing that using hermite splines

Zak

Resident xenophile
Nebulae
yeah i'm working on doing that using hermite splines
would also be cool if you could incorporate skybox transitions, maybe look at the code to headcrab canisters?

Zombine

Nebulae
Explosion could do with some more 'oomph' if you catch my drift

yeah still working on more effects. right now i'm dying because i need to do curve-fitting for the arced trajectory, and the engine code for how headcrab canisters do it isn't public....

Zak

Resident xenophile
Nebulae
yeah still working on more effects. right now i'm dying because i need to do curve-fitting for the arced trajectory, and the engine code for how headcrab canisters do it isn't public....
just buy a source engine license :^)

Zombine

Nebulae
cleaned up the code, now it's better at predicting entry time from the skybox.
beefed up the impact with some dust, fire, and a lingering light.
also gave the incoming object a big blue glow for that sick screenspace lighting