Serious A HL2RP² Critique: Why I no longer enjoy it as a rebel main

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
An encrypted radio frequency & a vendor with the same equivalent supplies as cops would be nice
take out the middle-man and give rebels access to an F3 business menu where they can buy weapons and ammo individually

Reactions: List

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Rebels are disorganized because you literally cannot force rebels under a banner. They'll either just not do it after a while or just won't play when shit goes wrong.

They're not like cops, who go in with the expectation that they're going to be following orders.

And before anyone brings up the likes of the KRLF or whatever those were vastly different circumstances.

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Rebels are disorganized because you literally cannot force rebels under a banner. They'll either just not do it after a while or just won't play when shit goes wrong.

They're not like cops, who go in with the expectation that they're going to be following orders.

And before anyone brings up the likes of the KRLF or whatever those were vastly different circumstances.
"rebels are disorganized"

also

"you cant use this very good example of rebels being organized"

man.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
"rebels are disorganized"

also

"you cant use this very good example of rebels being organized"

man.

Because it was done by a very well respected player, involved a lot of other groups being murdered/strongarmed into line and those that didn't want anything to do with it had to put up with it because their chances of doing anything about it were nil.

Good luck repeating that in a staff context - people have already had issues because they wanted to smack Lambda around despite them being there to facilitate people.

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Because it was done by a very well respected player, involved a lot of other groups being murdered/strongarmed into line and those that didn't want anything to do with it had to put up with it because their chances of doing anything about it are nil.

Good luck repeating that in a staff context - people have already had issues because they wanted to smack Lambda around despite them being there to facilitate people.

jesse-real.gif

it wasnt done by a very well respected player (singular) but many many many players working together - literally anyone can do it if they garner enough support and power

you have to stop trying to gaslight players into complacency and maintaining a non-functional status quo

lambda shouldnt even be there - its neglecting players agency and throwing it back in their face to have an omnipotent force that (at times) even directly undermines their efforts (sudden anthrax rocket in Ashville???? Contradicting ideas???)

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
No point being stuck in the past tbh

I can't even remember half of the shit that went down back then when it came to rebel stuff.

Trains

ms paint artist extraordinaire
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae

jesse-real.gif

it wasnt done by a very well respected player (singular) but many many many players working together - literally anyone can do it if they garner enough support and power

you have to stop trying to gaslight players into complacency and maintaining a non-functional status quo

lambda shouldnt even be there - its neglecting players agency and throwing it back in their face to have an omnipotent force that (at times) even directly undermines their efforts (sudden anthrax rocket in Ashville???? Contradicting ideas???)

the rocket thing wasn’t lambda, just wasn’t communicated very well

agree with everything else

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae

Rebel players themselves have repeatedly shot this idea down because they find the infighting fun and, by nature, you crush infighting to get a unified Resistance you can tell to go do things - or your 'rival groups' are so small you know they won't do shit for fear of being killed.

I'm not trying to gaslight anyone Evil I'm literally looking at what rebels themselves are doing. They're not willingly coming together, they've splintered off into their own groups the same way they always have whenever given half the chance.

The current playerbase do not want to unify under their own steam and even when they've tried (like on Apoc) people went "lol no" and kept doing their own thing.

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Rebel players themselves have repeatedly shot this idea down because they find the infighting fun and, by nature, you crush infighting to get a unified Resistance you can tell to go do things - or your 'rival groups' are so small you know they won't do shit for fear of being killed.

I'm not trying to gaslight anyone Evil I'm literally looking at what rebels themselves are doing. They're not willingly coming together, they've splintered off into their own groups the same way they always have whenever given half the chance.

The current playerbase do not want to unify under their own steam and even when they've tried (like on Apoc) people went "lol no" and kept doing their own thing.
cool thats up to them

just dont try to make unifying look like this daunting Goliathan task when literally any group of people can do it if they're good enough

its a skill issue

heaveN

bomber rat
Nebulae
and so the eternal ‘bro its unfair just copy-paste the factions’ cycle repeats itself even though everyone is always jerking off on asymmetrical guerilla warfare shit

maybe focus less on ‘winning’ s2k?

A. Vaher

I make events of varying quality
HL2 RP Administrator
Premium Member
Nebulae
So as for orders taking too long, we've given them the option to pay extra 'points' for same-day delivery or a little less for next-day, I'm pretty sure @ShockyC has been quite often (if not every single time actually iirc) using same day so I'm wonder if these delays are as a result of us not responding quick enough to their orders.

Definitely understand the frustration of having to wait, it was basically a way of us implementing a point-sink which tbh doesn't actually seem to be working. It's possible we could just change it to a system where everything is same-day delivery if ordered before a certain time (some orders are made incredibly late in the night), but given that same-day tends to be used anyways, I think the problem may be with ourselves taking too long, but @ShockyC can probably add his experiences to this

Would be a question for @FreeSpy in regards to the scav/crafter question.

Regardless, I don't think scavengers being the only source of acquiring low-tier ammo is really viable tbh, it should be made a lot more available and easily accessible, thinking back to Boreas, I was a big fan of @A. Vaher 's contracts that they were doing which basically gave people odd jobs, whether it was dealing with a single bandit or scavenging around for a car engine, I'm not sure exactly what rewards were offered for these jobs but given their ease, I could see a similar system being put in place that would give players access to low tier stuff that can be traded.

Just spitballing really I've not thought it through, I'm pretty sure a similar system already exists on the server or at least I remember reading about the intention of some similar system with contracts but again I'm not sure how this is playing out on the server rn
I'm not gonna lie, even though I had to manage three things at once it was a lot of fun running those bounties
I haven't been on server lately to do so since I just haven't felt like it but I am glad you liked them since I had a lot of fun doing them, but it just doesn't seem as manageable on Ineu
Regardless
the drop cannot be random, if so you risk it landing inside of the combine base or the emergent base or some out of bounds spot
Back on Asheville, I ran some SPIRE events, the Russian mercenary paratrooper guys, and I had some supply drops or funny guys drop in from the sky in places on the map, usually the city, and whilst they were more geared towards Combine for eventing, Rebels also got their own sort of events here and there
Of course, with the way the merchant system functions and whatnot, it is not so feasible to gear the direction of things towards airdrops as there are several factors regarding that, and as it stands our systems in place would not agree very well with such an idea. It would be much like the demand far exceeds the output, kind of like producing only 10 iron ore a minute when your refineries consume 50 a minute in Kenshi, or even so the refineries producing so much that a halt in production occurs.
The last part isn't really related I just wanna play Kenshi
I think what my point was is that it is certainly an IDEA to experiment with that had good results on a previous map, but it should be considered cautiously as some things that worked well on previous maps may not work so well here
I have to agree.

Some automation is needed,
since 1-5 legendary dedicated people serving a full or half full server where not much could be done without staff system wise, being active management on a 35 player minimum server, is tough to answer everything, especially at the heat of the moment of rp.
Automation is needed, and some trust in the user operating them systems, like merchant spawn systems to be made.

I'd even encourage faith in the player.
Making a merchant system with specific flags, (just the business menu that already exists, tweak it)
to even assign them to specific characters in specific situations, vendors, roles, or what not.

allowing characters to be INTERESTING. to be able to procure their own things and roles.
currently everybody's role is rebel s2ker, or something related to combat. where's the uniqueness?
while it could be one man decides to be a tailor, he has tailor flags, one man has carpentary flags, other fishing flags allowing em to spawn fish in its own time.
handing out free rp, and trust in the one that has the flag for it, is not bad, it's good.
in my case, a fishing dedicated character, having to ask and reask for carp to be spawned, when doing a fishing event with someone, or self, sometimes takes a while, which is understandable, YET
being able to procure it myself, with fairness and respect to the responsibilty of having such flag, makes you put even more rp effort.

i'd imagine how many fishing events I could do in such instance, without having to rely on outside support, could be fun af
and what others could do, having their own roles attributed to them.
heck, make one shoeshiner, with shoeshiner flags, being able to ''craft'' shoes or something. ITS FREE RP

this is the next step of evolution, of a player driven server, while on the global narrative of the staff directive.
you still cant live dependent 24/7, then wonder why the staff themselves feel overwhelmed, and the player feels uncomfy asking over n over
sometimes over strictness just keeps things lacking.
Regarding the idea of placing faith in the player-
I like this idea very very much, as I have experimented with it several times, and I have even let them know that there would only be IC repercussions for, say, theft(for my own store).
I have let New Dawn Sets(whose character name eludes me) run Mechanic's shop back in Asheville during my absence so that people would be able to buy whilst I was away, and they showed great competence in this. I gave myself a limited stock during the week so that I couldn't just spawn things in for convenience, something Numbers was on with, and roughly a revival of this took place in Boreas with the hired guns of Boris Drugov, Yaroslav Volkov, and Han Shenyang. They were ALL given access to the store's containers to utilise in trade, and when they were selling and buying, they did swimmingly. There was a lot of guidance behind the curtain, questions and whatnot on how much something should be sold for, but nonetheless, it ran great.
This is much a far cry from the time I sold an MP7 for someone's shoelace back on Asheville(which was fucking HILARIOUS mind you and I do NOT regret it).
Point is I agree that player trust is important, and though it may foul, there is no point in not trying to open up things to players more, so players can do more, aside from keeping the economy stable and such.
If we did try the flags thing that Alexander suggests, implementation could be made to see it viable within such a way to prevent abuse.

TL;DR I don't remember what I wrote down I'm playing Kenshi

Last edited:
Nebulae
infighting fun
What retard genuinely finds it fun?
It's not fun at all to be six months in and we have evolved past a primative tribalist "Cell" system that should've been abolished/abandoned after the cities. Cells flourished because organization under the combines iron boot was nearly impossible. We're at the point of open warfare now the rebels should be far further advanced organized and even geared than they currently are. And why not? because a bunch of smooth brains want their drama. Smh. This is why the combine continuously curbstomps us map after map after map. They're unified.

Next to no in-fighting. They have the gear. They're willing to listen to orders.

It just astonishes me that for six months now we've essentially remained tribal war bands instead of evolving even on par with a semi-professional insurgency. Noone in the other groups have even tried innovating. Where are the combine helicopter guns mounted to armoured buggy's? Where are the re-programmed man hacks dropping 40mm grenades on combine patrols? Where are the rocket pads used as siege artillery?

None of this is done all we see on average is people go s2king die. lose. then ask for their guns back. Or you'll get someone who captures a combine OICW or something but never uses it in combat and uses it as a status symbol.

Ever since Metro we've been in a state of stagnation that must be broken.

Trains

HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae

Trains

HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
we have this I just never spawn the dupe because it’s effort

(he doesn’t remember the absolute backlash when this was last tried)

shrug
actually nah tbf I take that back

it wasn’t manhacks dropping grenades it was manhacks BEING grenades

manhacks scanners dropping grenades would be cool

fuck it i have an idea for the emergents

Nathant18

Blue Ball
HL2 RP Server Director
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
What retard genuinely finds it fun?
Me. Drama and infighting is fun, it's more interesting than everyone just blindly following the same set of plans, it's fun when plans conflict and people argue.
It's not fun at all to be six months in and we have evolved past a primative tribalist "Cell" system that should've been abolished/abandoned after the cities. Cells flourished because organization under the combines iron boot was nearly impossible. We're at the point of open warfare now the rebels should be far further advanced organized and even geared than they currently are. And why not? because a bunch of smooth brains want their drama. Smh. This is why the combine continuously curbstomps us map after map after map. They're unified.

Next to no in-fighting. They have the gear. They're willing to listen to orders.
I don't really understand this, are you wanting a unified resistance because you think it'll win more s2k fights?

It's been proven that just by coordinating with groups you can win fights, you don't need to OOCly force something that was attempted and failed ICly, I really don't think this is the solution to the problem. I'd much prefer these things were kept IC and pursued as such.
It just astonishes me that for six months now we've essentially remained tribal war bands instead of evolving even on par with a semi-professional insurgency. Noone in the other groups have even tried innovating. Where are the combine helicopter guns mounted to armoured buggy's? Where are the re-programmed man hacks dropping 40mm grenades on combine patrols? Where are the rocket pads used as siege artillery?
Idk man, a lot of that stuff is probably locked behind character auths and shit, I also don't think you'd be restricted from using manhacks to drop grenades either (tho I'm not sure how you'd do this tbh unless if you had an admin helping?)

Pretty sure there was already an armoured truck with a mounted machine gun on Boreas but was destroyed, things are done but whether they last is a different story.

At the end of the day it's still HL2RP and I really don't want to see it turn into WW3RP moreso than it already is

Nebulae
I don't really understand this, are you wanting a unified resistance because you think it'll win more s2k fights?

It's been proven that just by coordinating with groups you can win fights, you don't need to OOCly force something that was attempted and failed ICly, I really don't think this is the solution to the problem. I'd much prefer these things were kept IC and pursued as such.
No, I want a unified resistance beacuse it doesn't make sense this point and this far into the war for tribal militias to still exist. In other media and history for example these groups always start as something like a cell or miliita and graduate into a military force which is Where we *SHOULD* be. the bulk of rebels shouldn't be roving insurgent cells going around killing people or picking fights with no accountability.

Nebulae
Pretty sure there was already an armoured truck with a mounted machine gun on Boreas but was destroyed, things are done but whether they last is a different story.
That was for an event ran by admins and it was hostile to everyone.

And destroyed.

Trains

HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
No, I want a unified resistance beacuse it doesn't make sense this point and this far into the war for tribal militias to still exist. In other media and history for example these groups always start as something like a cell or miliita and graduate into a military force which is Where we *SHOULD* be. the bulk of rebels shouldn't be roving insurgent cells going around killing people or picking fights with no accountability.
why not

most of these chars come from a fucking prison bro that was the opening of the server lol