Serious A HL2RP² Critique: Why I no longer enjoy it as a rebel main

Nathant18

Blue Ball
HL2 RP Server Director
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
here’s my A HL2RP² Critique

what happened to ‘IC is IC’
Arguably my biggest complaint about this iteration so far is this, literally any sort of problem people have is instantly brought to the forums or discord instead of being addressed IC and it's wack as fuck

OneClassyBanana

kilroy was here
Nebulae
combine-can't-use-foreign-weapons stuff & the genemodding restriction
This is the only thing I'll toss in on this thread 'cause I'm exhausted, but these were decided and implemented wholly separate and based on entirely different reasoning.

I have no damn clue why certain leadership figures take such vocal issue with the cops using non-cop weapons in the middle of a rapidly-destabilizing military situation, so don't quote me on what the fuck's going on with that particular line of decision-making, but the G-flag was actually more rooted in wanting to provide a tangible consequence to going through a procedure that fundamentally alters you on a genetic level. Because, let's face it, if it wasn't accompanied by some hard, objective mechanical facet, people would ignore it completely. That's what the majority of HLRPers have, historically, always done.

When the genemodding concept was brought up during the lead-in to S2, it was less out of a sense of 'pulse weapons bad' and more from a perspective of 'is using them worth, from an IC standpoint, trading away a core piece of your biological humanity'. Hence the largely irrelevant -10HP (mitigated by the majority of rebel suits still offering better odds of survival than the 100/100 of stock cops) penalty; it isn't designed to outright deter people from acquiring and using the weapons.

That was never even remotely the point, from day one of us considering the idea.

It's to encourage them to stop and actually think about if it's a decision worth making when weighed against the consequences - both mechanical (-10HP) and wholly narrative (@Erkor 's frighteningly thorough table of RP side-effects). Think of it less as a wholly OOC function and more as a tangible vehicle for the more directly unnerving implications of the setting's themes, which've always largely circled around humanity's inherent strengths and weaknesses.

So hopefully that helps shed some light on where the notion of introducing gene sequenced weapons from main canon came from.

(Addendum: The confusion around legacy AR2s, and the bounty of ensuing Chinese whispers around some agenda to make them all gene-locked, stems from @Gary struggling to find a way to create a gene-locked version of them separate from the originals. It's a technical limitation that can hopefully be overcome, not some encroaching and sinister desire to strip current rifle holders of their ability to use them.)

Arguably my biggest complaint about this iteration so far is this, literally any sort of problem people have is instantly brought to the forums or discord instead of being addressed IC and it's wack as fuck
also yeah this habit is bordering on becoming a parody of itself at this point

it's simultaneously hilarious and depressing

Erkor

Narrative/Lore Management
Nebulae
oh no i've been tagged
It's to encourage them to stop and actually think about if it's a decision worth making when weighed against the consequences - both mechanical (-10HP) and wholly narrative (@Erkor 's frighteningly thorough table of RP side-effects). Think of it less as a wholly OOC function and more as a tangible vehicle for the more directly unnerving implications of the setting's themes, which've always largely circled around humanity's inherent strengths and weaknesses.

I want to add on to this because I think enough time has passed that nobody will give a shit and chide me for daring to mention something we scrapped: The genemodding side-effects and the concept I've implemented is derived from something I've strived to do before but never managed to in its full capacity on another server.

Initially, I had planned it with much greater depth -- genetic modifications being based on a roll for both intended and side-effects. It would've played out something like this:

You get modded, and in turn I (or whoever would be doing it instead of me) rolls a specific, high number (let's say a d4000) where a section of this massive range is devoted to different beneficial effects -- the G flag would be a benefit on top of this.

The beneficial effects, however, were designed to help further a character's prowess in roleplay. Much like how people have regularly spread gospel that Combine transhumans are genetically modified powerhouses, these black-market genemods were intended by me to offer a similar taste of roleplay-end power: Increased strength, faster reflexes, better eyesight. The side-effects, in turn, were related to the modification you were given: Think, for example, getting a cancer or heart attack risk from getting increased physical strength as a consequence of your genetic modifications.

That idea didn't live long, though, especially because someone might complain about it, or not acknowledge it, or -- most pertinently -- people wouldn't give a shit. Coming off the heels of C24's S2K-bonanzas, it was apparent that there wouldn't be any non-S2K combat between factions -- maybe even between people, unless it's a spar or a ringfight or something. What'd be the point of giving people these kinds of roleplaying bonuses if they wouldn't care about them, in turn?

Would I like to bring that back? Yeah, probably, but I think it's probably a good thing it isn't as in-depth as I had initially proposed. People would probably get carried away in some capacity or start some sort of drama or another because people are overpowered.​

slick

give this guy his adm*n back
Nebulae
oh no i've been tagged

I want to add on to this because I think enough time has passed that nobody will give a shit and chide me for daring to mention something we scrapped: The genemodding side-effects and the concept I've implemented is derived from something I've strived to do before but never managed to in its full capacity on another server.

Initially, I had planned it with much greater depth -- genetic modifications being based on a roll for both intended and side-effects. It would've played out something like this:

You get modded, and in turn I (or whoever would be doing it instead of me) rolls a specific, high number (let's say a d4000) where a section of this massive range is devoted to different beneficial effects -- the G flag would be a benefit on top of this.

The beneficial effects, however, were designed to help further a character's prowess in roleplay. Much like how people have regularly spread gospel that Combine transhumans are genetically modified powerhouses, these black-market genemods were intended by me to offer a similar taste of roleplay-end power: Increased strength, faster reflexes, better eyesight. The side-effects, in turn, were related to the modification you were given: Think, for example, getting a cancer or heart attack risk from getting increased physical strength as a consequence of your genetic modifications.

That idea didn't live long, though, especially because someone might complain about it, or not acknowledge it, or -- most pertinently -- people wouldn't give a shit. Coming off the heels of C24's S2K-bonanzas, it was apparent that there wouldn't be any non-S2K combat between factions -- maybe even between people, unless it's a spar or a ringfight or something. What'd be the point of giving people these kinds of roleplaying bonuses if they wouldn't care about them, in turn?

Would I like to bring that back? Yeah, probably, but I think it's probably a good thing it isn't as in-depth as I had initially proposed. People would probably get carried away in some capacity or start some sort of drama or another because people are overpowered.​
could have literal tangible, minor benefits like an increased walking/running speed, increased base inventory, maybe some sort of filter to increase vision slightly (both as a minor annoyance drawback/benefit in dark settings), that wouldn't make it incredibly overpowered but decent to go along with being able to use ar2's, roleplay benefits, plus the minor shit. this system is really cool and you should definitely pursue it further
edit: roleplay benefits would definitely see more use in event situations rather than player vs player scenarios. survivability in events is a plus for some

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae

I think this has always been true, its just a lot more noticable in this iteration because the shit people used to reflexively complain about in the past (mostly S2K results and what have you) are at the forefront now.

Reactions: List

Tinbe

Molecule
Nebulae
most of these chars come from a fucking prison bro that was the opening of the server lol
Combine isn't exactly notorious for a fair and just judicial system, and AFAIK it was never emphasized that everyone who got put to the Depot was ICly a serial criminal who snorted illegal guns and kicked puppies relentlessly before arrest.

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Combine isn't exactly notorious for a fair and just judicial system, and AFAIK it was never emphasized that everyone who got put to the Depot was ICly a serial criminal who snorted illegal guns and kicked puppies relentlessly before arrest.
personally i just made up some benign crime that got me landed there

its systemic suffering with no design, everyone must suffer equally no matter the crime - in my head at least

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
AFAIK it was never emphasized that everyone who got put to the Depot was ICly a serial criminal who snorted illegal guns and kicked puppies relentlessly before arrest.
considering the state previously shot people for having an empty box of ammunition in their pocket or six piles of screws, it's easy to imagine random people being rounded up for baffling things, whether they had done them or not.

Lewis!

フローラルの専門店
Nebulae
9kzqnt.jpg

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Nebulae
An encrypted radio frequency & a vendor with the same equivalent supplies as cops would be nice
ive only like skimmed most of this post but like yea can we can get encrypted frequencies
just give both factions ic avenues to crack/shut down encryption temporarily

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
considering the state previously shot people for having an empty box of ammunition in their pocket or six piles of screws, it's easy to imagine random people being rounded up for baffling things, whether they had done them or not.
I mean those were catagorically for balance surrounding contraband shit so crafting wasn't "No officer I just found this on a street corner I swear" every time. It wasn't really 'IC'.

Last edited:

deathwolf

I AM SPIDERMAN, GRIST LIES! I AM HIM REALLY! ﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
oh no i've been tagged

that sounds fun

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae
gear stakes set up an unhealthy tarkov-esque dynamic where one side (resistance men) get domed by infinitely respawning, decently geared scavs (cop fellas) and lose their stuff and then they get upset. theres no good way to fix this without turning it into ww3rp except maybe more incentives on objectives

i go die to disable COMBINE DEVICE as rebel man i might be happier i made an effort for an objective that matters even if the gun go away. more of that probably

having played both sides its mostly mentality though, resistance characters for the most part are braindead crybabies while the cops have been great fun to be around