Alex on HL2 i17 & outlands

axido

whatttttttt
Nebulae
Nice drama.

I posted a giant text of "NO ZAK" and told him I didn't want him I didn't want him to start editing the i17 map for us again.

You guys seriously fucked up by giving Atle shit for his C8 edit. A lot of people complained about i17, the nail in the coffin was Zak'a V2 edit.

I think most people (including me) severely misunderstood your post in zak's thread. It sort of sounded like you said 'no.' to the entire suggestion which over 100 people agreed with. However I'll sort of blame myself for the drama that I've started in this thread with my low-quality shitpost-like reply. I'm sorry, shouldn't have posted it.

Rictalspace

Manager of Fist Industries
Nebulae
Tbh, it was a mistake on our part to fling shit at atle but dont you believe that our complaints are quite valid?

Certainly you might notice it if you rp'd in it, its not a bad map, its a great one considering how shit it used to be, but the faults are there, and effort does not make them less valid
Criticising faults constructively is great, helps make the map better.

That thread however was literally:
"It's a shit map"
"Atle just made stuff for himself"
"It's all Atle's fault"
"i17 was better"

Jaf

Thanks, I hate it
Nebulae
It's not hard to see how some, including myself, would interpret that giant 'No zak' as you shutting down the idea. Admittedly, as Blackquill pointed out to me, the suggestion thread remains opens.

Most people don't bash Atle, in fact, I believe a lot of us are grateful for the time and effort he puts into the community. I don't really care about the edits which some people have bashed, namely the WI lab. Though a lot of people feel that space could've used better, we as a community understand why it was permitted, even if we don't agree with it.

Yet I want to make it clear that us wanting to move to c17 isn't an attempt to be disrespectful or ungrateful. Many people put effort into the server, Atle isn't alone in that - Though his work has a larger impact than others. We've been enjoying his work for some time now and us saying we'd like to go back isn't us saying 'C8 is bad' but that we simply prefer C17.

I don't want to cause undue drama, even if that is exactly what I did -- I wanted to poke fun at the current situation. I agree that (even if it's yet to be said) that the stuff should've waited for an official statement rather than resorting to this, perhaps to extend, even the community as a whole.

Regardless,

I hope everything works out in the end.

Last edited:

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
Criticising faults constructively is great, helps make the map better.

That thread however was literally:
"It's a shit map"
"Atle just made stuff for himself"
"It's all Atle's fault"
"i17 was better"
"The map is too union based"
"The rebels have too little space"
"Atle just did the map edit to circlejerk his faction a good building" - Even when he did it last.

Reactions: List

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
namely the WI lab.

Atle did those edits entirely for free, under a really short timeframe, if he wanted an area for his group that was a bit bigger than you guys thought it should be; I have no problem with that.

Hell, if he edited another map for us I'd expect him to do the same again for his enjoyment and that is entirely acceptable. If that's the biggest complaint then I have 1 thing to say:

HEY GUYS REMEMBER I17 V2 SEWERS?

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
Actually you know what, fuck it. Since @Chicken and @Cramdam wanna just take this shit to my profile anyway.

Zak still hasn't finished a major change he committed to for WW3 that was due for BEFORE CHRISTMAS and Roosebud has a hard time getting in contact with him because Zak ignores his messages.

Both i17 projects had those issues, I had to finish up both of the edits because Zak inevitably gets bored or demotivated. The second version was awful, the train was Zak's idea of something funny that would kill people.

Sorry Zak, but sometimes you're really difficult to work.

So, when you guys want to start drama. Maybe consider you don't know all of the information, making memes about it just makes us want to stay away from the entire thing. If you want something to happen, be constructive. My point still stands about Atle though, he's a fucking great mapper, probably the best we've had.
[doublepost=1483633677][/doublepost]Unlocked the thread.

Rictalspace

Manager of Fist Industries
Nebulae
Actually you know what, fuck it. Since @Chicken and @Cramdam wanna just take this shit to my profile anyway.

Zak still hasn't finished a major change he committed to for WW3 that was due for BEFORE CHRISTMAS and Roosebud has a hard time getting in contact with him because Zak ignores his messages.

Both i17 projects had those issues, I had to finish up both of the edits because Zak inevitably gets bored or demotivated. The second version was awful.
Even Earthfall told me how much they hated that edit of i17.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I personally don't see why we can't have the best of both worlds - See if @Atle can make an edit for i17.

Unless he's refusing, which I understand why, a lot of shit was thrown at him just for the i17 thread existing and allowing people to trash his map when in reality, it's a damn good map.

Reactions: List

Chicken

Nihilanth
B A N N E D
Nebulae
I wouldn't have if threads remained unlocked after you replied to them with a vague answer.

My point still stands about Atle though, he's a fucking great mapper, probably the best we've had.
Nobody disagrees, nearly everyone repeats it again and again that he is a good mapper, people just want i17.
And I am pretty sure the majority of people also agreed on wanting the LP version, not Zak's edit. Zak merely offered to make up his mistake.

Thing is, forcing Outlands and City on one map leaves both sides suffering. They do not have the room they deserve. It's a city server, leave people with city roleplay and not with a half-assed district reskin called Outlands that doesn't look like it.

Goatson

Guardian
Nebulae
I still don't think people appreciate as to how much of a process mapmaking is...
This. Map making is hell of a process. It takes time, effort and a lot of hair-pulling (@Daraku ).

Atle's map is fantastic. He took a map that was (imo) absolute garbage and made it into a map I love over any other now.
Serious fucking respect to Atle for making that, and for being able to take the undeserved shit he's getting so well.

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
people want i17.
not Zak's edit. Zak merely offered to make up his mistake.
Neither of these things had actually been discussed or denied, what Alex denied was Zak's thread, which people mistook.

Nothing has been decided yet, but people just wanted to assume I'd been overruled and i17 wasn't happening full stop instead of discussing it and not ignoring the overwhelming support, like I said I would.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
What I find strange is the implication that a lot of people seemed to expect @alex to react similarly to Zak's thread to the whole i17 idea, which is why they would've misinterpreted him.

Blackquill stated they were going to talk about changing maps, I doubt Head Staff would give their answer to a majority vote as "no zak."

Gungeoneer

Your neighbourly friendly guy.
Nebulae
Also, to the people saying 'Atle is just circlejerking his own faction and makes their buildings bigger', put yourself into Atle's position. He knows everything about WI and knows how much space it needs, always ideas for improvements and such. But he does not know everything about other factions, hence why those buildings are mediocre. Atle hasn't gotten into Rebel-RP either and does not know how much place they need - or well, he does, actually. The place is /REALLY/ big for the Rebellion, I don't get the problem there aswell. If you lead your own faction, you know everything about it, which rooms it needs etc. And I am sure that you would make that space.

Also, this.
This. Map making is hell of a process. It takes time, effort and a lot of hair-pulling (@Daraku ).

Atle's map is fantastic. He took a map that was (imo) absolute garbage and made it into a map I love over any other now.
Serious fucking respect to Atle for making that, and for being able to take the undeserved shit he's getting so well.
Mapmaking is really difficult, and I appreciate @Atle for taking his own sweet time for making us unbelievably good maps.

And if Source 2 should ever port over to a new GMod, I am pretty sure the Map limit will be so big that it can't be filled entirely anymore, well it can but it's very unlikely that someone will do that much, so you can wait for that if you really want to.

Chicken

Nihilanth
B A N N E D
Nebulae
The place is /REALLY/ big for the Rebellion
Doesn't change the fact that it is linear and seperated in two parts by a single gate. That's not what Outlands is supposed to be. I wouldn't mind if it stayed the ruined district it was before, but putting grass there and calling it 'Outlands' just feels cheap.