Alex on HL2 i17 & outlands

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
Doesn't change the fact that it is linear and seperated in two parts by a single gate. That's not what Outlands is supposed to be. I wouldn't mind if it stayed the ruined district it was before, but putting grass there and calling it 'Outlands' just feels cheap.

What's funny is i17 has effectively no Outlands so you're asking to go from an "Outlands area" to none.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
What's funny is i17 has effectively no Outlands so you're asking to go from an "Outlands area" to none.

He does want that, I think.

From what I tell, a lot of the hate for C18 is the fact that it has a poor outlands area, which should instead be city.

Basically, it's all on the assumption that a second server (Outlands) is being made.

Goatson

Guardian
Nebulae
Doesn't change the fact that it is linear and seperated in two parts by a single gate. That's not what Outlands is supposed to be. I wouldn't mind if it stayed the ruined district it was before, but putting grass there and calling it 'Outlands' just feels cheap.
"We want Outlands !!!!"
"No, we can't make Outlands because it will split the playerbase."
"But we want Outlands !!!!"
> Atle builds a mini OL into his map so that we can have OL but not split the players
"There, this is the best we can do. Happy?"
"But we want Outlands !!!!"

lmfao

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
You cannot make an environment that is supposed to feel open and free in 'mini' format.

Head Staff said they're not doing it, for pretty valid reasons imo.

Would you rather no Outlands?

Reactions: List

Whilt

Woh
Nebulae
You want to go back to city seventeen because you want outlands
i17 does not have outlands
The sewers do not constitute as outlands as it requires constant use of filters, thus limiting people

Chicken

Nihilanth
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Head Staff said they're not doing it, for pretty valid reasons imo.

Would you rather no Outlands?
Do you even read my posts.

It's supposed to be a city server. I expect city rebelRP. I rather have no Outlands than some fake Outlands that you cannot be immersed into.

I know for months now that a secondary Outlands server won't come. But it won't change my opinion.
[doublepost=1483635245][/doublepost]
You want to go back to city seventeen because you want outlands
i17 does not have outlands
same applies to you buddy

Goatson

Guardian
Nebulae
keyword

You cannot make an environment that is supposed to feel open and free in 'mini' format.
I find the mini-OL to feel a lot more free than any other part of the map. The amount of detail that Atle put into it with shit like the absolutely beautiful lighting is astounding to me, and adds to the kinda "free" feeling compared to the city. I don't get it, can't you be satisfied and agree that this is the best thing you are going to get?

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
Do you even read my posts.

I know for months now that a secondary Outlands server won't come. But it won't change my opinion.
[doublepost=1483635245][/doublepost]
same applies to you buddy
Thing is, Atle made it look the way it did so people felt like it was more rebel-enviroment like and not just the dark, grey district like it was.

The comparison to OL was inevitable but even though it's not as good, he still provided rebels with quite a lot of open space to do stuff on and roleplay peacefully.

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
I find the mini-OL to feel a lot more free than any other part of the map. The amount of detail that Atle put into it with shit like the absolutely beautiful lighting is astounding to me, and adds to the kinda "free" feeling compared to the city. I don't get it, can't you be satisfied and agree that this is the best thing you are going to get?

If the engine allowed it, I can guarantee that the entire area would be bigger. But that probably wouldn't change the fact that we don't want it to be a split server.

Chicken

Nihilanth
B A N N E D
Nebulae
The comparison to OL was inevitable but even though it's not as good, he still provided rebels with quite a lot of open space to do stuff on and roleplay peacefully.
But then why call it Outlands if you didn't want it to be Outlands?

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
But then why call it Outlands if you didn't want it to be Outlands?
I've referred to it as the 'OL area' casually but when it came to IC matters (As in why it's there) - It's an outer city area.

Grau

Atom
B A N N E D
Nebulae
no matter how much I respect atle's attempt of making outlands into one map, source doesn't allow him to make it to an extent where the playerbase would be satisfied, his work is still impressive though
my point is that I feel like D4 and Shell Beach are more fun than what we currently have for the resistance