Alex on HL2 i17 & outlands

Chicken

Nihilanth
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Yeah but, when WW3, FTRP (Not counting EURP LOL) launched - they gained their own playerbases. FTRP did take some from both sides but WW3 moved on to stand on its own two feet with its own playerbase.
But later on, the city server did decent as well, no? Alongside with an almost full Outlands server.

Outlands generallz feels more immersive when there is a lower population, as you are supposed to feel free and not in a 'rebel city' we had around the end of LP.

Reactions: List

Jaf

Thanks, I hate it
Nebulae
It's not about funding.

If city was stuck at 30 constantly, we'd almost certainly get overtaken at some point/someone would use that to their advantage. While I personally care a lot about what people want etc, I also want us to be successful too (and no, not in terms of money :( )

I do also believe that we have to be sure not to limit ourselves in fear of being overtaken by another server. I think it's a topic that deserves its own full thread, including pros and cons and perhaps a vote? See what the community wants and then weigh that against the thoughts of the staff.

People don't always know what they want or what's best for them, but I can't stress the importance of listening to your community.

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
But later on, the city server did decent as well, no? Alongside with an almost full Outlands server.

Outlands generallz feels more immersive when there is a lower population, as you are supposed to feel free and not in a 'rebel city' we had around the end of LP.
Yeah it did move on to do decent, but there's obviously no set forumla to make that happen again - as in, getting identical numbers. Remember our OL didn't start as OL - it started as canals and gradually progressed to OL

ruben slikk

life aint shut but a fat vagin
Nebulae
canals were fun cos there was a lot of danger

outlands felt like pussy shit in comparison, at least to me. i could run across the map with my guns unequipped and id never run into any danger, except that time i got jumped by a hunter and shit my pants

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
I do also believe that we have to be sure not to limit ourselves in fear of being overtaken by another server. I think it's a topic that deserves its own full thread, including pros and cons and perhaps a vote? See what the community wants and then weigh that against the thoughts of the staff.

People don't always know what they want or what's best for them, but I can't stress the importance of listening to your community.
Again, I've said this before - I try to take what the community says into consideration but obviously there's no reason for most people to not want a second server, right?
[doublepost=1483639749][/doublepost]
canals were fun cos there was a lot of danger

outlands felt like pussy shit in comparison, at least to me
Yeah but canals was admin reliant tbh.

At least at the start, Outer Canals was a drama spawning pool

ruben slikk

life aint shut but a fat vagin
Nebulae
Again, I've said this before - I try to take what the community says into consideration but obviously there's no reason for most people to not want a second server, right?
[doublepost=1483639749][/doublepost]
Yeah but canals was admin reliant tbh.

At least at the start, Outer Canals was a drama spawning pool
honestly with the massive dedicated staff roster that hl2rp has got i dont think it being admin reliant is that big of a problem

its not like ftrp which died because it was pretty admin reliant, and had a medium sized roster with many unmotivated admins

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
honestly with the massive dedicated staff roster that hl2rp has got i dont think it being admin reliant is that big of a problem

its not like ftrp which died because it was pretty admin reliant, and had a medium sized roster with many unmotivated admins
The admin reliance wasn't the main problem, I was just saying that's what it was like. At the time it wasn't the best though ngl.

We changed it bc people were tired of the map afaik, I wasn't SD - can't remember that well, Planktons time.

Raijiin

Electron
Nebulae
To be honest, i'm not a big fan of our Mini OL, for me, personally, OL represents a space of freedom, an area where Cp's were inexistant, and no one told you what to do.
It represented what humanity was fighting for, their earth, their freedom, OL was usually a forest or something alike, the air was clean to some extent and it felt as its pre-war earth.

But this version does not have that, its a barren wasteland filled with destroyed houses and dead trees, it did not capture a feeling of freedom, nor accomplishement to when you made it there.

Thats also why the beach in I17 was great, the Union does not want an antlion filled shithole of a beach, so they left it alone, and the rebels seized the opportunity, but C8 felt like i was in some test lab...

WAIT, WHAT IF THE WI UNDERGROUND IS OL ?!!!

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
We changed it bc people were tired of the map afaik, I wasn't SD - can't remember that well, Planktons time.

It was changed due to the linear nature of the map, despite how good it was for its purpose. Many felt that they had basically no freedom in terms of movement and we had a hard time setting up specific areas to be filled with threats due to how compact it was. This was the cause for the change which lead to the shit show that was Outer Canals.

Coast was alright, and progressed to Outlands which turned out to be the best decision we made since we launched a second server, though the change felt natural due to the progression to different areas over time (which was unintentional at the time).

I do still miss the atmosphere of Inner Canals, though I know it is impossible to replicate given the size of our playerbase and other technical problems behind it.

Anyways, OT.

Pretty much since I personally actually began playing as a regular on the server I can only remember playing briefly during City 8 in LP. Outside of that it was i17 from that point forward. I don't wish to see it return, given that we have worn it out to the point where I feel that another year spent on that map without Atle's intervention in terms of looks and fundemental gameplay elements would be a pain that I don't want to experience again.

He has done a stellar job with the current C8 regardless of what way you spin it, and has worked with what he had available. Sure, WI has a large and good looking place, but he made the map for us with no strings attatched as far as I know so it is fair. I am just greatful that rebels even had an actual area for themselves, where CPs/OTA couldn't just walk in without any barriers keeping them behind, a luxury we didn't have in i17 outside of hidden bases.

I have beat the horse beyond death at this point in terms of preaching for a second server, and if upper management doesn't want it then it won't happen. There is probably a good reasoning behind it, and that goes for maps as well. If a switch to i17 was ever to be made, major modifications would be needed or a second server would be required, due to the nature of the current rebel population. In my opinion anyways.
[doublepost=1483641570][/doublepost]
Thats also why the beach in I17 was great, the Union does not want an antlion filled shithole of a beach, so they left it alone, and the rebels seized the opportunity, but C8 felt like i was in some test lab...
Instead they frequently did sweeps of the sewers and the beach, killing and PKing anyone they found. Such sweeps were often led by yours truly.

Keno

la sauce
Nebulae
I am just greatful that rebels even had an actual area for themselves, where CPs/OTA couldn't just walk in without any barriers keeping them behind, a luxury we didn't have in i17 outside of hidden bases.

I think that's the problem. You are saying rebel ratio is too big, it's mainly because we don't have any threats in outland.
It's like staying in HPR1 as a CP.

Rengar

Atom
Nebulae
I think action is important, I know hl2 is passive rp but action should exist. Staying in outlands and chatting with some people is fun for some time, then it gets boring.

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I think that's the problem. You are saying rebel ratio is too big, it's mainly because we don't have any threats in outland.
It's like staying in HPR1 as a CP.
They don't have elsewhere to go, so if we were to sweep Outlands we would PK more than half of the rebel characters on the server

Which is something I don't personally want to do.
I think action is important, I know hl2 is passive rp but action should exist. Staying in outlands and chatting with some people is fun for some time, then it gets boring.
Action is only fun if you are on the winning side. If action is to take place I wish for it to be enjoyable for both sides, so that those who don't wish to partake aren't forced to and have means to hide or flee the scene of the fight.

Rengar

Atom
Nebulae
Action is only fun if you are on the winning side. If action is to take place I wish for it to be enjoyable for both sides, so that those who don't wish to partake aren't forced to and have means to hide or flee the scene of the fight.

Action is only fun if you are not fucking up badly such as a pk or loosing a very expensive gun, I agree on that but it's a thing that must happen to be honest, it's hard to find decent rpers in the d4 nowadays because everyone is in the outlands and no one is getting pked.

Zak

Resident xenophile
Nebulae
Time to chime in with my own explanation of the events that set off the downward spiral.

As you've all noticed, I'm a fucking cunt a lot of the time. I'm also pretty vocal and blunt about things I'd like to criticize. I'd like to think I can take the same at face value, but sometimes I just get bitter because it seems like I've contributed nothing. Everyone hyped the WW3 weapon base, but the vast majority of it was Alex's work, all I really did was copypaste some files and do some menial numbers work that anyone with a few hours to kill could've done. Likewise for most of the recent additions I've made for HL2RP. A lot of the code I've done is just really basic copypaste work, and even then a lot of the time everything's broken until Zombine, Alex, or hell, even Gr4Ss steps in to fix it for me, I haven't really made anything substantial, something of my own design.

None of it ever felt rewarding, since I never felt I could call it my own work. So, when I finally had the chance to go back to something that was actually mine, that I could honest-to-god say that I had done by myself for the most part (not to discredit anyone else who had helped, but you get what I mean), I fucking jumped at that shit. I feel kinda useless without being able to contribute, and despite the small bits and pieces here and there, it never really feels like something that I put effort into and got a satisfactory result from.

I think Alex will agree when I say that one of the main reasons we as developers do what we do is because we get satisfaction from seeing the finished product, from seeing other people look at and use the finished product, and then continuing to work on it anyway because it never quite feels finished. It's kind of a never-ending cycle, but that recognition, that feeling of "hey, I made that, I put in the effort required to get to that final product" is really what keeps me going.

So, in summary, I kinda jumped the gun at the chance to feel like a productive member of the community again. For all the bitching and complaining I did while making the edits to i17, when the end result was finally compiled and on the live server, I couldn't help but get on and want to show off every last little detail or edit that I made. Is it petty and/or selfish? Probably. But man, seeing the literal weeks of dealing with bullshit finally pay off was a feeling that I continue to strive for, and consistently fail to accomplish with the irrelevant shit I've done thus far.

TL;DR i like making stuff, was pissed off that i wasn't making stuff, got too eager to make new stuff

Bork

Roleplay Punisher
Nebulae
Cause it was shit and 1% of all rebels roleplayed in it, lol

Shit as in boring.
i liked shell beach shanty town, acted as a little rebel trading post and pub for me generally, plus it was the only place i felt i was on neutral ground as the leader of novus. good rp, many refugees took hold there and had a few chats before they carried on.

*honk honk*

transcended p doggo
Nebulae
i liked shell beach shanty town, acted as a little rebel trading post and pub for me generally, plus it was the only place i felt i was on neutral ground as the leader of novus. good rp, many refugees took hold there and had a few chats before they carried on.
mid 2016 nobody cared about it

there were like 2 people rping in it total

Powley

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Everyone wants i17 cause it's nostalgic and they feel like they had a better time

plot twist: times change - including roleplay

It won't work on i17 anymore, accept that, I mean I'll ACCEPT THE DUMB RATINGS, but I'm spitting the truth kids.

You'll be tired of C8 but you'll be sick of i17 sooner.