Alex on HL2 i17 & outlands

Grau

Atom
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Wait, did the drama start because Alex locked a thread? Jeez.
it started because people misunderstood him, nobody would have complained if we would have noticed that he just denied the thread, not i17's entierety

Reactions: List

Rengar

Atom
Nebulae
I'm just gonna put my 2 cents in! Atle did a great job with the current map and it's a fact that he is a really good mapper! we all should be thankful to him for putting such effort to that map, it was a shitty map but he worked so fucking hard on it, now I can say it's one hell of a map right now! but the thing is, we are a half life 2 server and unfortunately c08 doesn't fit in really well... the map might be really good but still it doesn't do very well, in my opinion i17 is the best map for hl2.

I'm just gonna thank Atle for his great job, nebulous is such a lucky community to have a great mapper like him but unfortunately some of our players aren't grateful, they just throw shit at him when he worked really hard on that map so we could enjoy it...

however I really want i17 because c08 doesn't fit to hl2 in my opinion.

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
it started because people misunderstood him, nobody would have complained if we would have noticed that he just denied the thread, not i17's entierety
I mean I did say on my thread that I would talk to Alex about it asap.

As Maxenzie said, after all the support the thread got, it makes no sense people expected Alex to just go 'No' on a completely unrelated thread.

Nova_

Electron
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Gonna be frank here and say that this thread should prooobably be locked. It's not healthy for the playerbase to say something in one light unseriously (FUCK c8) /and then attempt to claw back when called out for it (ohhh but he did a good job Ngl...)

I think people should be patient and wait for head staff to discuss the ins and outs of it and get back to you with a clear and cohesive picture so you can discuss things in an informed light. They know your opinions, you should probably let them figure it out. That's what they do after all.

Whilt

Woh
Nebulae
no matter how much I respect atle's attempt of making outlands into one map, source doesn't allow him to make it to an extent where the playerbase would be satisfied, his work is still impressive though
my point is that I feel like D4 and Shell Beach are more fun than what we currently have for the resistance
If you use the space, then I am sure the head staff would allow you to have more, however as demonstrated by the previous outlands server a good majority of the map solely existed to run about in, serving no purpose and therefore taking up unneeded brushes.

Jaf

Thanks, I hate it
Nebulae
On the topic of I17 having no outlands, while a lot of us would love a separate outlands server, I also believe a lot of us would be more interested in being 'forced' back closer to the city (Also making filters relevant again). Right now it doesn't make sense for us to go to the city, but if we had no better option, it might be interesting?

Of course, people would complain, but that's the nature of it.

Jaf

Thanks, I hate it
Nebulae
On a different a potentially controversial note, why not allow the community to potentially divide itself?

It already happens in game, some people stay in the outlands while others are strictly in the city at all times. The difference would be the server player count.

This might be wishful thinking, but increasing the quality of life and listening to the community's wish to have two servers might cause growth which balances out the divided player count on the main / city server.

---

I know that cross-server OOC chat was possible in the past. Would it perhaps be possible for us to have a scoreboard across servers to let people know that even if there is 21 people on the City server and 8 on the Outlands server, we're 29 in total? Just for the sake of an example.

DoubleD

String
B A N N E D
Nebulae
I know that cross-server OOC chat was possible in the past. Would it perhaps be possible for us to have a scoreboard across servers to let people know that even if there is 21 people on the City server and 8 on the Outlands server, we're 29 in total? Just for the sake of an example.
That's actually a pretty good idea

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
For the forums? Possible

Gmod server browser? Not possible - and It would look terrible if our server was divided like that.

Nova_

Electron
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
On a different a potentially controversial note, why not allow the community to potentially divide itself?

It already happens in game, some people stay in the outlands while others are strictly in the city at all times. The difference would be the server player count.

This might be wishful thinking, but increasing the quality of life and listening to the community's wish to have two servers might cause growth which balances out the divided player count on the main / city server.

---

I think that there are two ways to do this both of which will bring cons.

Either you make an outlands server with a password, it'll be exclusive and should be dangerous, but it'll be an entire map for like 10 people at a time. Great for outlands and resistance events tho but a tiny pop.

Or you make it open, to which people will either flock to the outlands server cause it's new and has more action, or simply cause it's more popular than the passive city.

You won't be able to make it all work. Tnb did it extremely well and they had 4 servers (back in 2008/9) but they had a server pop of nearly 100 over the four, 45 in the city, 15 in canals. 15-20 in outlands and 10 in central nexus. They could only do this because they had an established population in all factions with many new people coming in every day, back in the day of gmod being less accessible and less Mingy in general

Jaf

Thanks, I hate it
Nebulae
So, after a quick clarification from
quill

I believe the concern to be that if we had two server like this:

Nebulous.cloud | Half-life 2 Roleplay - City 20 / 90
Nebulous.cloud | Half-life 2 Roleplay - Outlands 10 / 40

It wouldn't look as impressive as:

Nebulous.cloud | Half-life 2 Roleplay - City 30 / 90

I believe it can be boiled down to this:

Do we believe that people are more likely to join a community with one server with a high player count OR one that has two servers with 'average' player count. This also begs the question, what type of people do the two choices attract -- And does it matter?

And how important is the enjoyment your current player base is having?

----

I personally believe that it's better to have two servers, since it improves the quality of the server in my opinion and keeping our loyal playerbase active and happy is fundamental to the health of our community.

Of course, people might feel different about this and I hope different perspectives are represented.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
quill

Do we believe that people are more likely to join a community with one server with a high player count OR one that has two servers with 'average' player count. This also begs the question, what type of people do the two choices attract?

----

I personally believe that it's better to have two servers, since it improves the quality of the server in my opinion and keeping our loyal playerbase active and happy is fundamental to the health of our community.

Of course, people might feel different about this and I hope different perspectives are represented.

There's also the matter of funding the third server, too.

DoubleD

String
B A N N E D
Nebulae
I think the concern is something like this would happen:

Nebulous.cloud | Half-life 2 Roleplay - Outlands 20 / 24

When we could have had 50 players on.

Jaf

Thanks, I hate it
Nebulae
I don't believe funds are an issue, but it is a valid concern. Should it be an issue I doubt the community would shy away from helping out financially.

Goatson

Guardian
Nebulae
quill

Do we believe that people are more likely to join a community with one server with a high player count OR one that has two servers with 'average' player count. This also begs the question, what type of people do the two choices attract -- And does it matter?

----

Honestly, when I look for a Serious server in just about anything I look for the smaller servers. Maybe that's just me though.

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
I don't believe funds are an issue, but it is a valid concern. Should it be an issue I doubt the community would shy away from helping out financially.
It's not about funding.

If city was stuck at 30 constantly, we'd almost certainly get overtaken at some point/someone would use that to their advantage. While I personally care a lot about what people want etc, I also want us to be successful too (and no, not in terms of money :( )

Chicken

Nihilanth
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Thing is, when we can put rebelRP into another server, citizen and loyalist roleplay has more room to blossom and the population of the first server would rise as well. It's just logical that at first, the city server would suffer from low population, it always has been like that in LP when a new server launched.

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
Thing is, when we can put rebelRP into another server, citizen and loyalist roleplay has more room to blossom and the population fo the first server would rise as well. It's just logical that at first, the city server would suffer from low population, it always has been like that in LP when a new server launched.
Yeah but, when WW3, FTRP (Not counting EURP LOL) launched - they gained their own playerbases. FTRP did take some from both sides but WW3 moved on to stand on its own two feet with its own playerbase.