Serious City 8 Redux

Dev

A Turret
Nebulae
c8redux_header.png

CITY 8 REDUX
Welcome, experience a great map once again like never before, with all new architectural design and expanded layout. Welcome, to City 8.

I've been planning and working on a new City 8 map for a few months or so and thought i'd post it here because why not? Please feel free to give feedback and constructive criticism as it can help improve the final product.

Originally it was just an edit of Atle's V3, but then it turned more into a new version but now there's been so many changes I just thought i'd call it a redux.

Here's the checklist:

-- THIS CHECKLIST IS CURRENTLY BEING EXPANDED --

Completed will be marked in GREEN.
In progress will be marked in ORANGE.
Not done will just be BLACK.

• Revamp the entire architecture of the City, heavily inspired by Yama and Neotokyo to represent Japan more and provide a more interesting and unique map, rather than another mindless C8 edit.
  • Add a new road which loops the map around (where the old lab was will have a road connecting where the old nexus was)
  • Expand the road with the old loyalist block and Kato Cafe, etc.
  • Remove zig-zag alley, make the layout make sense realistically.
  • Overhaul old Laundromat into new Apartment Block D with 8 rooms, bridge access, outside staircase and a shop on the bottom floor.
  • Overhaul all apartment blocks A, B, C. (Move apartment block B)
  • Add new rebel hub in the centre of the alleyways, connect it to an outside car park where apt block B was.
  • Add new alleyways inspired by Tokyo, lots of cover spaces, some accessible areas.
  • Major world building, props around the city to liven it (some are removable in most areas).
  • Remade C8 Logos and Resistance imagery.
  • New backstory imagery (posters, pre-war signs, etc)
  • Remade and more vertical signs (changed to holograms rather than glass).
  • New nexus.
  • Raidable citadel based off of HL2s exterior.
  • New hospital. (Connected to lab)
  • New laboratory. (Connected to hospital)
  • Vast subway system to replace the sewer system with stations acting as rest stops, rebel bases, you name it.
  • New spawn at a combine-controlled subway station.
  • Balancing the map to allow rebels to thrive both underground and above the city in certain hotspots, but ensuring the combine can maintain control in main city areas and access hotspots during raids (though giving rebels the ability to defend these areas).
Credit to Dave Brown for original City 8 signage.
Credit to theorthopaedicsurgeon for yama assets.
Credit to NeoTokyo team for that stuff.

NOTICES:
If any faction leads see this, whether or not it actually gets used obviously is way out my control but I'm more than happy to make any additions, etc for your factions if I deem it fitting, possible and appropriate for the map.

Nearer to the end of development for this map I plan on releasing a .bsp file for those who are interested in testing - more info on this will follow soon but I want to ensure this map is as best as it possibly can be.

RELEASE SCHEDULE
Main City ONLY Playtest - Current estimate December 2021 Alpha Test

https://discord.gg/VSpwvR9
Join the discord for unpolished updates, active suggestions and playtests!

Last edited:

Dev

A Turret
Nebulae
pls excuse the ultrawide
unknown.png

sPKKHLC.png

The new CAB area (inspired by City 24 v1's Congressional hall

OPrBGfo.png

The CAB broadcasting room, again based off City 24's broadcasting room (thanks for that vmf atle)

[doublepost=1586437776][/doublepost]
Screens nibba???
aaah i know i'm getting them

This isn't compiled since it's not done so there are leaks but this is part of the new outlands/abandoned city i'm making. It's a heavily heavily modified part of City 8 canals.
7JBfRhG.png

Last edited:

Laura

Nucleus
HL2 RP Senior Administrator
Nebulae
Please dont remove the old fireplace in the alleyways.
I & @Firebird have some good memories of that place. It was a place of community.
20190206155459_12.jpg

20190205005100_12.jpg

[doublepost=1586438450][/doublepost]Also. I kinda liked the long and twisted tunnels. It had a sense of exploration.
Also, the first time arriving in the outlands. It was a historic moment for my character. In their efforts to save his friend. Magenta.

20190203233634_2.jpg

Reactions: List

Dev

A Turret
Nebulae
Please dont remove the old fireplace in the alleyways.
I & @Firebird have some good memories of that place. It was a place of community.
20190206155459_12.jpg

20190205005100_12.jpg

[doublepost=1586438450][/doublepost]Also. I kinda liked the long and twisted tunnels. It had a sense of exploration.
Also, the first time arriving in the outlands. It was a historic moment for my character. In their efforts to save his friend. Magenta.

20190203233634_2.jpg

Readded the scenic car fire just for you :)

Also don't worry they won't be completely removed! I'm adding different ways to get there and the tunnels will just be more than a single straight line.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
The idea of the 'outlands' being a small abandoned district is a really unique and novel idea. It's one people have wanted to do for ages but just never found a very good way to.

Laura

Nucleus
Nebulae
Readded the scenic car fire just for you :grinning:

Also don't worry they won't be completely removed! I'm adding different ways to get there and the tunnels will just be more than a single straight line.
Thank you! You don't even know how happy this makes me.

Dev

A Turret
Nebulae
XmPLrSe.png

E1vlAaz.png

Again, not compiled because not done but I removed the skybox wall as someone suggested a while ago to me that something should be down here - so it's the trainyard from city 8 canals. Again, heavily modified and I hope to add another warehouse here.

Last edited:

slick

give this guy his adm*n back
Nebulae
suggestion: make the tunnels more like the japanese metro system and make the d4 basement a giant abandoned metro station and the checkpoints in the sewers even more smaller stations

please please please please

i just don't want another fucking sewer just make it make sense

why the fuck are we always walking through shit infested water.

Dev

A Turret
Nebulae
suggestion: make the tunnels more like the japanese metro system and make the d4 basement a giant abandoned metro station and the checkpoints in the sewers even more smaller stations

please please please please

i just don't want another fucking sewer just make it make sense

why the fuck are we always walking through shit infested water.

I basically hit delete with most of the sewer system, not all but most as I think it's boring. The metro system is a good idea though i'm not entirely sure how to execute it but i'll have a think. (I've actually undertaken this exact idea on another City 8 map i'm working on, maybe i'll post that in the future)

slick

give this guy his adm*n back
Nebulae
I basically hit delete with most of the sewer system, not all but most as I think it's boring. The metro system is a good idea though i'm not entirely sure how to execute it but i'll have a think. (I've actually undertaken this exact idea on another City 8 map i'm working on, maybe i'll post that in the future)
there's already a metro part in the map, I'd say just copy from that and keep it relatively uniform with some unique features here and there.

Laura

Nucleus
Nebulae
there's already a metro part in the map, I'd say just copy from that and keep it relatively uniform with some unique features here and there.

I feel like it'd only be part of the whole Tokyo metro system, As the map doesn't compass the whole of Tokyo, Mostly the main district right?
Also, it'd be mostly abandoned due to the Combine not really upkeeping the Metro system right? Works similar to the sewers but bit more unique
I'd say feel free to have free reign with the metro system, easily explained by. ''Oh this was under construction and abandoned''
And ''Oh this was the old metro tunnel but soon blocked off, after the metro was modernized''
Just so you can have more free-reign on where the tracks and stations lead.

Dev

A Turret
Nebulae
tAzpFw7.png

this one is pretty major so here's a pic - I removed the weird zigzag alleyway and connected the roads as best I could.

Laura

Nucleus
Nebulae
tAzpFw7.png

this one is pretty major so here's a pic - I removed the weird zigzag alleyway and connected the roads as best I could.

The back alleys were so sweet and cool though-
Oh thats from the other road to the main road.

Dev

A Turret
Nebulae
can you make the nightclub thing actually cool and not ugly looking
cafe something or whatever I think it was

Assuming you don't mean Kato, as it was in the way of the road it was removed and completely redone. I've not finished the interior yet but there's some stuff done.

283ym4r.png
8g6grRn.png

If you do mean Kato I am entirely redoing that mess of a cafe don't worry.