Serious City 8 Redux

D

Deleted member 7085

There's a debate within the focus group on whether to have a citadel or not, so I decided to get additional feedback on the subject here.

Right now the CAB is in the Citadel, but should the citadel be removed entirely? Please give an agree if you think yes to CAB in citadel, etc or a disagree if no citadel at all and they all just go into the nexus (skybox citadel wont go dw).

I didn't really want to post another poll because it's kinda cluttering the thread but it's needed I think.

As in have the nexus be a normal building? If so then maybe but I'm conflicted

Dev

A Turret
Nebulae
As in have the nexus be a normal building? If so then maybe but I'm conflicted

The Nexus would just house overwatch forces, like Civil Protection and perhaps overwatch though unsure about that since I would make the Citadel raidable so it may be a pretty decently sized area.

Oh the Nexus would also have things like an admissions office, a safer way to the citadel (rather than the raidable entrance) and also an office for certain low-ranking CAB/Union (this is not a nebulous thing afaik)

--

The plan for the citadel is to make it a scaled-down hl2-type thing.

D

Deleted member 7085

The Nexus would just house overwatch forces, like Civil Protection and perhaps overwatch though unsure about that since I would make the Citadel raidable so it may be a pretty decently sized area.

Oh the Nexus would also have things like an admissions office, a safer way to the citadel (rather than the raidable entrance) and also an office for certain low-ranking CAB/Union (this is not a nebulous thing afaik)

I'd say that it's good that it can be raidable but not to the point of high tier rooms etc. so maybe being raidable to like lower CAB offices and a few CP area's but OTA could be harder to get to

Dev

A Turret
Nebulae
I'd say that it's good that it can be raidable but not to the point of high tier rooms etc. so maybe being raidable to like lower CAB offices and a few CP area's but OTA could be harder to get to

There would be a lot of combine doors and stuff in the way of just waltzing in, that and the fact you need to parkour across a massive pit makes it not an easy target.

Reactions: List

Dev

A Turret
Nebulae
For those who are interested, the main city should be complete in a few days - then I just need to work on the wastes and outlands.

but for now, here is the expanded terminal building, one big change is the addition of a broadcasting room, it's also lockable from the control room (the broadcasting system is activated via CAB like in i17 v3) or you can use it as a prison since it can't be unlocked from inside

slick

give this guy his adm*n back
Nebulae
I don't know if it's too much work to do but

Push the map together a bit, make D8 and D9 less outer city districts and more of an abandoned district that's a more closer, looming threat on the actual city. It'll allow you to make more detail for the map and make it seem more lively. Focus on cramped streets and more interiors to duck into. The less space on the streets makes it more lively, and the more interiors there are allows for more places to hide, to RP, and to explore.

Dev

A Turret
Nebulae
I don't know if it's too much work to do but

Push the map together a bit, make D8 and D9 less outer city districts and more of an abandoned district that's a more closer, looming threat on the actual city. It'll allow you to make more detail for the map and make it seem more lively. Focus on cramped streets and more interiors to duck into. The less space on the streets makes it more lively, and the more interiors there are allows for more places to hide, to RP, and to explore.

In my opinion, D8 and D9 have never made sense for various reasons and that's one of the things that made me redesign the entire area with the idea being centred around city wastes - also Tokyo is near the ocean so the forest that doesn't make much sense is gonna be made much smaller or removed and the rest turned into a beach I think.

Dev

A Turret
Nebulae
After reading through some threads for map necessities, I have added the caravan ship (the massive boat in the middle of an expansive ocean) and the four huge event/admin boxes. These are straight from i17 but the admin boxes I changed them so it should meet nebulous' needs at least but there's two with 2D skyboxes, one with a 3D skybox and one that's just big stone room now.

Dev

A Turret
Nebulae
The offices found in the nexus. Big city 24 inspiration

EDIT: The lighting has been brightened, new image:
SO40Ql8.png

pI8s8PL.png

Last edited:

Raijiin

Electron
Nebulae
This looks pretty great! Keep it up, C08 was one of my favourite maps and I have a ton of fond memories of it, so good work on it so far, and don't forget the classic lighting feel.

However, you really need to consider your options when it comes to tightening the main roads, you don't wanna do it to the point where rebels are confined to one area if they don't wanna get nabbed by cops, I'd say an alternative would be adding a lot of alleys/side passages with no cameras, to give wiggle room to players who want to do anti-citizen RP in the city.

Additionally, the "outlands" part shouldn't be easy to get to and shouldn't be safe, I do like your concept of the "sewers" being a network of rails.

Dev

A Turret
Nebulae
This looks pretty great! Keep it up, C08 was one of my favourite maps and I have a ton of fond memories of it, so good work on it so far, and don't forget the classic lighting feel.

However, you really need to consider your options when it comes to tightening the main roads, you don't wanna do it to the point where rebels are confined to one area if they don't wanna get nabbed by cops, I'd say an alternative would be adding a lot of alleys/side passages with no cameras, to give wiggle room to players who want to do anti-citizen RP in the city.

Additionally, the "outlands" part shouldn't be easy to get to and shouldn't be safe, I do like your concept of the "sewers" being a network of rails.

I actually expanded the main roads a bit by connecting them up, rebels have a very large network of ways to get around the city via the subway right now but the main area that's isolated is the back alleys which I plan on expanding to cover more of the city and make it more interesting.

The outlands are gone completely, it's just the city wastes and then the coast - the subway isn't exactly the easiest thing to traverse either since the tracks are electrified so crossing to other platforms takes a bit of parkour on trains and stuff (some of the larger gaps I have added wood planks because I'm not mean). But the subway is also much safer for resistance from the combine. The canals, however, are easier to traverse and will have railroad bases dotted along - I'll probably add toxic waste to some of the water to make it more interesting but overall it's an easier route to traverse just more susceptible to raids. Subway will still have some bases but not too many.

Dev

A Turret
Nebulae
gonna update this as I go along

replaced apt block A with capsule apts, they are pretty hard to recreate tbh
K86knbo.png

YPcZr1e.png

oh right i should probably mention the entrance will be around the back kinda like a motel, i'll send some pics in a bit when i finish it off

0orwHlt.png

got rid of the wall behind these, opens up the back alleys a bit more. it won't be this open when i'm done though

Last edited: