Serious City 8 Redux

Dev

A Turret
Nebulae
gv2OcJQ.png

this building. pretty sure nobody ever uses it. what should I do to make people use it.

also if anyone has any specifications that nebulous needs for a map then i'll incorporate it.

Last edited:
Reactions: List

Dr Heckyll

Molecule
Nebulae
gv2OcJQ.png

this building. pretty sure nobody ever uses it. what should I do to make people use it.

also if anyone has any specifications that nebulous needs for a map then i'll incorporate it.
keep the catwalks type shit and verticality that's cool
make the upper bit like a small bar or something, think izakaya

Mute

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
tAzpFw7.png

this one is pretty major so here's a pic - I removed the weird zigzag alleyway and connected the roads as best I could.
I always assumed that it was there because there was a brush or something that unloaded the other side, wont this impact preformance? if this is the road im thinking of its quite a big chunk of space

slick

give this guy his adm*n back
Nebulae
you think you're gonna have a playtest for the map when it's finally in a semi-ready point?

I'd love to get some more feedback to you.

Dev

A Turret
Nebulae
I always assumed that it was there because there was a brush or something that unloaded the other side, wont this impact preformance? if this is the road im thinking of its quite a big chunk of space

There was an area portal there yes, but the alley was useless. City 8 has a bunch of really weird area portals that are placed kinda odd.

you think you're gonna have a playtest for the map when it's finally in a semi-ready point?

I'd love to get some more feedback to you.

When I finish pretty much everything I'll set up a test server for the map (helix doesn't like singleplayer), I'll make a post here about joining a discord server soon and you'll get a copy of the map and the server IP. (If you really want you can just play it singleplayer but there's stuff like stamina n all that which makes the experience a lot different)

Dev

A Turret
Nebulae
I finished the new club
Ss0wPPD.png

There's no ambient light so it looks darker than usual but it's a club so ya know. this one was kinda weird to remake.

oh also I fixed the music in the bar since before it wouldn't stop the wonderful song from playing like it was meant to, now it does.

Dev

A Turret
Nebulae

make these edits in your version if i were you xx

vents and warehouse doors were the first on my list :)

science complex being fully redone.
UM being fully redone
citadel being almost fully redone (i'll keep note of the elevator speed though so thank you)

Khiel

Molecule
Nebulae
vents and warehouse doors were the first on my list :grinning:

science complex being fully redone.
UM being fully redone
citadel being almost fully redone (i'll keep note of the elevator speed though so thank you)
swagalicious, ive found that around 2.56x sped is the best increase to make as it prevents the server lagging out and making it look like you're teleporting too much or anything

put the main focus in a good rebel area, UM needs like 3 rooms and closeable shutters so they can do their hospital shit, and CAB needs a big debate hall and a few little offices

Dev

A Turret
Nebulae
put the main focus in a good rebel area, UM needs like 3 rooms and closeable shutters so they can do their hospital shit, and CAB needs a big debate hall and a few little offices
my man you should check the screenshots and checklist :grinning:

aka all of this already done/being done

Last edited:

Dev

A Turret
Nebulae
Update on my plan for the city wastes:

The idea is that it's covered with pre-war military blockades and was abandoned after the black mesa incident because of the xen invasion (as a way to set the theme). so it'll be pretty dangerous too

there will be some combine bits here and there but not much. main combine area will be the depot by the coast.

I'll probably update the admin room to allow for things like striders to walk through, etc

Dr Heckyll

Molecule
Nebulae
The idea is that it's covered with pre-war military blockades and was abandoned after the black mesa incident because of the xen invasion (as a way to set the theme). so it'll be pretty dangerous too.
when we were still on c8 last year I wrote an rp doc which explored a sort of similar concept about inner areas of tokyo that are abandoned and extremely dangerous. you can read it here if you want some lore-spiration

Dev

A Turret
Nebulae
when we were still on c8 last year I wrote an rp doc which explored a sort of similar concept about inner areas of tokyo that are abandoned and extremely dangerous. you can read it here if you want some lore-spiration

thanks!

you know what another benefit of replacing outlands with city wastes is? I can add area portals and things so that when you open the checkpoint door it doesn't completely lag the hell out of the server!

Dev

A Turret
Nebulae
male_07: "...Well, we can get out using the canals."
female_05: "We can't take the canals during this mess! They'll be sweeping. What about the subway?
male_07: "The subway? That's a pretty dangerous place to traverse, too risky. Though we could go through the old tunnels, it cuts out most of the subway journey - not many people still know about it too so they won't be sweeping."
female_05: "You're kidding right? That place has been sealed off since before the war, who knows what's in there?"
male_07: "I'm thinking I'm thinking!"

aka story of why female_05 doesn't exist

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
thanks!

you know what another benefit of replacing outlands with city wastes is? I can add area portals and things so that when you open the checkpoint door it doesn't completely lag the hell out of the server!
Hey Dev how feasible would it be to make this "city wastes" be an infested zone sort of deal?

Dev

A Turret
Nebulae
Hey Dev how feasible would it be to make this "city wastes" be an infested zone sort of deal?

that is sort of the aim I want with this but the xen props aren't really there in hl2 and I don't want to add too many spawners because that's more something server admins should do I think (namely in case a player wants to use an area but can't because there's a zombie spawner in the middle of it). I will be adding some but yeah

Nebulae
that is sort of the aim I want with this but the xen props aren't really there in hl2 and I don't want to add too many spawners because that's more something server admins should do I think (namely in case a player wants to use an area but can't because there's a zombie spawner in the middle of it). I will be adding some but yeah

how about using HL1/Black mesa xen textures to map out the places with xenian overgrowth wall texture etc. wise?