City 9 - Map in progress

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
How the fuck do I make bright windows in the buildings (bright white)? I need it for the overall noir feel of the night themed city

Actually, it's not a CSS material since the HL2 textures also include it (Well, a variation). I'll see if I can hunt it down for you.

Reactions: List

Dr.Towers

Nucleus
Nebulae
Just search "White" in the texture browser, there will be a couple of them with various color tones, mind out that some of them will actually emit light (only one is just the white texture). The light emitted from the textures will be very bright but you can turn it down by editing the texture x and y size (if I remember correctly). You can also use these, by setting them invisible+transparent in order to get a more realistic interior light from the window, if you any other doubt you can check the example maps from hl2 provided with the sdk.

Isuckatgaming

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Speaking about that surprise...I present you....City 01 Reeducation Facility (WIP), an underwater prison (It's also where the training ground is located, I need to conserve the space)

7A5568C625F5FC8539B5C2E13B4DDBB3E0DBF79D

8E61C0395E46515DDC974FCCB608E89515C19B92

A30ABDCA9BF4FA134B1C7982DC5904752760E19F

ACA141B967E7130B97E6802084ACCA39D63EA8CF

229C5D1B615AFB760202C4C42BCD4BE3F8606A50

Going full Rapture now I see

Roby

Proton
Nebulae
Going full Rapture now I see

I can't seem to get the damn green fog to work in the big map..... Those photos were from a separate bsp file and not connected at all to the main map, I connected them later and found out while play-testing that the greenish fog does not work in the main map because I already have a master fog in that map...If anybody could tell me how to have two simultaneous fogs in two different areas of the map...it would be greatly appreciated.

DesertedCake

Proton
Nebulae
I can't seem to get the damn green fog to work in the big map..... Those photos were from a separate bsp file and not connected at all to the main map, I connected them later and found out while play-testing that the greenish fog does not work in the main map because I already have a master fog in that map...If anybody could tell me how to have two simultaneous fogs in two different areas of the map...it would be greatly appreciated.
You could experiment with fog particles, I think insurgency has a ton of variants

Roby

Proton
Nebulae
Finishing up the crude layout of the slums with this small area, next days will be directed at planning and working on the underground metro system:
797F7A6269D880DE2F3C5BDB6141CF6AC875AE05

A7BC045302202D026B0163FBF26A55A58EF109E8

C5762AB8A8C2FFD01BADFDABFB46846646EA5CD2

F5FAAC6F09185B23A34CF92A725A481A9FEA629D

Shimax

Bri'ish and proud
Premium Member
Nebulae
Wow, so much skill! Yet I can't remember how to make my breakfast in the morning sometimes. I'm working on it!

D

Deleted member 930

I wouldn't call it much skill, skill is what City 24 will be
I am not a map editor myself but I quite find that really good for someone who begins with map creating.

Roby

Proton
Nebulae
I am not a map editor myself but I quite find that really good for someone who begins with map creating.

Well, thanks, but for now I find little enthusiasm to continue up with the project, Idk why, maybe it's the social life, maybe the enthusiasm I had during the first month has just worned off...

Great Gatsby

Proton
Nebulae
I was just wondering, are you bringing any inspirations from Lore when you are working on this map? Since, in this server's Lore, City Nine would be in Sector One, maybe on the American East Coast. Are you focusing on any city, or is this a city that was bombed during the War, and was rebuilt? (For example, I think, Atlanta was destroyed during the War)

MakTavish

Neutrino
Nebulae
Now i know this is just a teeny bit off topic, but why is every hl2rp map during nighttime? Did the combine destroy the sun while i wasn't looking?

On the other hand i really like your progress and i admire you learning hammer (i gave up on it, making scripts is much easier than mapmaking)

lemon

Sells cheap beer
Nebulae
Now i know this is just a teeny bit off topic, but why is every hl2rp map during nighttime? Did the combine destroy the sun while i wasn't looking?
HL2 is supposed to have a dark atmosphere, and while not literally, it's easier to make it all seem so sorrow and tense when it's dark (like most of dystopian movies/books/images)

MakTavish

Neutrino
Nebulae
HL2 is supposed to have a dark atmosphere, and while not literally, it's easier to make it all seem so sorrow and tense when it's dark (like most of dystopian movies/books/images)
I understand that but i'm pretty sure only 2 or 3 in half life 2 are actually during nighttime (ravenholm, black mesa east and the citadel destruction).

Having a day map (or somehow making a day night cycle on a map, not sure about the limitations of source) would be interesting i think. I mean right now every shop, every workshift and every RP happens during nighttime which is just frankly bad if you ask me.

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
I understand that but i'm pretty sure only 2 or 3 in half life 2 are actually during nighttime (ravenholm, black mesa east and the citadel destruction).

Having a day map (or somehow making a day night cycle on a map, not sure about the limitations of source) would be interesting i think. I mean right now every shop, every workshift and every RP happens during nighttime which is just frankly bad if you ask me.

It's relatively easy to make a day/night cycle within a map, yet most people who work on HL2RP maps either lack the knowledge, are starting out or just view it as a waste of entity resources. Besides, there's more to a good map (such as a proper layout, structured development, proper use of props/entities...) than just a small lighting effect.

MakTavish

Neutrino
Nebulae
It's relatively easy to make a day/night cycle within a map, yet most people who work on HL2RP maps either lack the knowledge, are starting out or just view it as a waste of entity resources. Besides, there's more to a good map (such as a proper layout, structured development, proper use of props/entities...) than just a small lighting effect.

I can't agree with you that a day/night cycle is a small lighting effect. It does add to the mood of the city. And it shouldn't be dreary and sad all the time. (I'd love to see a map like the train station map from hl2, the first one. I mean you could probably work off that one, but all the streets would have to be added from those checkpoints that you can't access)