Completed [Competition] Art of The Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Premium Member
Nebulae
pretty dark? or is it my screen :scream:
idk whenever I take gmod screenshots it seems like the lighting is absolutely fine then when I post it its fucking dark :/

try open in new tab? it looks significantly better
[doublepost=1511084882][/doublepost]

BDF65AC602F16977FE03AF81EAD1E8C7013978D6

City 24 after the events of Singularity.

*Lore behind the artwork*
https://nebulous.cloud/threads/to-those-who-died-from-the-great-disaster-in-c24.25006/#post-435391
*Base that I used*
http://www.furaffinity.net/full/8545516/

uh are you submitting the story or the artwork because it barely looks different to the original pic

21ml

Gillette, the best a man can get
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Singularity collapse
K4FLTsF.jpg

Used GBombs effects in-game then edited with some photoshop filters and adjustments.

Reactions: List
D

Deleted member 1392

Singularity collapse
K4FLTsF.jpg

Used GBombs effects in-game then edited with some photoshop filters and adjustments.
It looks so odd but it also looks like you painted it yourself, know what I mean?

21ml

B A N N E D
Nebulae
It looks so odd but it also looks like you painted it yourself, know what I mean?
There are various 'painting' style filters in photoshop if you go into filters > filter gallery.

Anleus

Proton
Nebulae
idk whenever I take gmod screenshots it seems like the lighting is absolutely fine then when I post it its fucking dark :/

try open in new tab? it looks significantly better
can always try taking screenshots with some other program, i.e. Nvidia share if u got nvidia gpu

lemon

Sells cheap beer
Nebulae
grr

@Club Ace, screenshots are nice, but they will never be as good as a fully customized scene. However, even if this one isn't much of anything special, it doesn't look shabby either. I'd say that you went a bit overboard with the lens effect, that really feels out of place. A simple blur and bit of shine form the sun would do the job, and make it a great wallpaper for someone liking Warthunder

@Eddard Stark, simple, yet not so bad of a pose. The biggest issue here is the lack of content, something that'd fill in the background. I do like posing here though, it does feel quite alive. My first guess here, on how to improve this pose, would be to add a horse in the background and sheriff/few bandit corpses lying around, to set up how badass this guy is. Other than that tough, it's not bad and I like it. Well done

@Suplex, judging the first one, because it's just better. Good old concept for a pose, with neat lighting and posing. Not much to say here, really, it's mostly minor details that hurt a little bit to watch but doesn't impact the whole scene that greatly. As I mentioned before, both posing and lighting is good here. Now, while posing doesn't really need to be improved in this picture, as it's just ruck-solid, the lighting is lacking of quality in few places. It's really good how you lighted up characters on left and used volumetrics to fill up the background. Thing is, you put these volumetrics in front of these characters, which blurred them out a little. I would suggest you to light them up normally, with standard light and put another pair of volumetric lights in the background, (they don't even need to be aimed at ragdolls) so they don't block off view on your characters. Another thing is that you thought a bit about changing color of these lights, as seen with the one shining on Hasak, but you left rest of them to be bland white. What I would suggest here, is that you'd use white lights with a little pinch of red to light up the characters themself, and put red volumetric lights in the background. That way, you'd get a nice contrast that'd underline contour of your terrorists, while also being aesthetically pleasing. Good job though, try to work around with this one and send it here, I can give you another review on it next week.
thumbup1.gif

@Dinguss, simple edit, but it works very well. I'd say that the first one is the best one, it really feels eerie with that color pallet and general composition. I can't say much about it, as it's pretty much just cropping managing colors, but it's done so well that it really is wallpaper worthy.
thumbup1.gif

@ConstantDisplay, this one badly needs lighting, anything that'd make the scene at least a bit visible. From what I can see, guy on the left is holding some sort of sci-fi gun, which kinda bothers me, since you state that it's HL2RP themed. The scenery is empty and doesn't show much. A good idea here, would be to show some kind of destruction in the background, so the whole "cleanup" would make sense. I can say one good thing about this one though - it has decent posing. Might not be perfect, but it's not too bad either

@21ml, as you said, it's pretty much a simple edit, but it works well. I'd say that it'd make a perfect background for some propaganda poster. I like it,
thumbup1.gif

@Schoenberg, first off, don't watermark your work, nobody ever steals anything from here, and even when someone does it, it's super easy to track it down. It also generally ruins the immersion of it all. First thought that appears in my mind when I see this poster, is that it has a very boring camera angle. Second though is this, an alternative scenery for this one, which in my opinion would fit better and show more than just crotch of some corpse. I'd also play around with lighting, especially to highlight the most important characters. Overall though, it's mostly the beginner's mistakes, which you will fix eventually overtime. There simply are holes that can only be filled with experience. Good luck and keep on doing what you do fam

@Cavity wins this one, but fucking hell, use bigger resolution fam

E9B3A263BB3F162022AB98B72A33883E42BBFCFD

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Premium Member
Nebulae
grr

@Club Ace, screenshots are nice, but they will never be as good as a fully customized scene. However, even if this one isn't much of anything special, it doesn't look shabby either. I'd say that you went a bit overboard with the lens effect, that really feels out of place. A simple blur and bit of shine form the sun would do the job, and make it a great wallpaper for someone liking Warthunder

@Eddard Stark, simple, yet not so bad of a pose. The biggest issue here is the lack of content, something that'd fill in the background. I do like posing here though, it does feel quite alive. My first guess here, on how to improve this pose, would be to add a horse in the background and sheriff/few bandit corpses lying around, to set up how badass this guy is. Other than that tough, it's not bad and I like it. Well done

@Suplex, judging the first one, because it's just better. Good old concept for a pose, with neat lighting and posing. Not much to say here, really, it's mostly minor details that hurt a little bit to watch but doesn't impact the whole scene that greatly. As I mentioned before, both posing and lighting is good here. Now, while posing doesn't really need to be improved in this picture, as it's just ruck-solid, the lighting is lacking of quality in few places. It's really good how you lighted up characters on left and used volumetrics to fill up the background. Thing is, you put these volumetrics in front of these characters, which blurred them out a little. I would suggest you to light them up normally, with standard light and put another pair of volumetric lights in the background, (they don't even need to be aimed at ragdolls) so they don't block off view on your characters. Another thing is that you thought a bit about changing color of these lights, as seen with the one shining on Hasak, but you left rest of them to be bland white. What I would suggest here, is that you'd use white lights with a little pinch of red to light up the characters themself, and put red volumetric lights in the background. That way, you'd get a nice contrast that'd underline contour of your terrorists, while also being aesthetically pleasing. Good job though, try to work around with this one and send it here, I can give you another review on it next week.
thumbup1.gif

@Dinguss, simple edit, but it works very well. I'd say that the first one is the best one, it really feels eerie with that color pallet and general composition. I can't say much about it, as it's pretty much just cropping managing colors, but it's done so well that it really is wallpaper worthy.
thumbup1.gif

@ConstantDisplay, this one badly needs lighting, anything that'd make the scene at least a bit visible. From what I can see, guy on the left is holding some sort of sci-fi gun, which kinda bothers me, since you state that it's HL2RP themed. The scenery is empty and doesn't show much. A good idea here, would be to show some kind of destruction in the background, so the whole "cleanup" would make sense. I can say one good thing about this one though - it has decent posing. Might not be perfect, but it's not too bad either

@21ml, as you said, it's pretty much a simple edit, but it works well. I'd say that it'd make a perfect background for some propaganda poster. I like it,
thumbup1.gif

@Schoenberg, first off, don't watermark your work, nobody ever steals anything from here, and even when someone does it, it's super easy to track it down. It also generally ruins the immersion of it all. First thought that appears in my mind when I see this poster, is that it has a very boring camera angle. Second though is this, an alternative scenery for this one, which in my opinion would fit better and show more than just crotch of some corpse. I'd also play around with lighting, especially to highlight the most important characters. Overall though, it's mostly the beginner's mistakes, which you will fix eventually overtime. There simply are holes that can only be filled with experience. Good luck and keep on doing what you do fam

fyi its the flamethrower from fc4 and there are body bags near the bottom but I do agree I need to work on lighting lol

RGB

Proton
Nebulae
first off, don't watermark your work, nobody ever steals anything from here, and even when someone does it, it's super easy to track it down

No.

As somebody who pumps in eight hours at a time when making a proper piece, watermark the shit out of what you make. That shit is YOURS and it doesn't matter how easy it is to track down, success is 30% skill, 70% luck. If somebody takes your shit they've just taken that 70% for themselves. Without a watermark on what they steal it becomes significantly harder to prove it was yours even with evidence to say you posted it first.

There are right ways and wrong ways to do watermarks. Right ways include signatures, either on the artwork itself (you see this in all of my recent entries in the form of a written "RGB" with a loop around it, you see it in my current profile pic as a "DEANNA" with a crown around it) small and not obtrusive, but in a key part of the piece. It's easy to ignore, but if somebody steals my stuff they are forced to now alter the image, or they don't notice it. Both make it obvious that they stole it.

Another way to do watermarks is what you often see webcomic artists do, putting their moniker and often website, date, etc. all on the bottom. This doesn't cover the art and is much easier to just cut off, this is best done for people like webcomic artists who put out a consistent style. Often you see these are cut off when people steal the images, and I cannot tell you how often I enjoy seeing people making an outcry against it lately.

What you DON'T want to do for your watermark is what deviantART does and slap a big ol' faded out logo over the top right over most of the artwork. it's sloppy, ugly, and gets in the way without any regard for the actual artwork. When I post to dA (or used to before I erased my account) I always downsized the image and applied this, as it was always there simply as a proof of concept and my high quality images were shared directly. When you present your proper piece of art, however, such as to a competition (this) or as a finished commission piece always go for one of the former, and not this method.

21ml

B A N N E D
Nebulae
grr

thumbup1.gif

thumbup1.gif

thumbup1.gif

You give some really good constructive criticism, congrats @Cavity !

Anleus

Proton
Nebulae
Gonna start out this next week with claiming it's gonna be Winter Themed!
cus it's soon winter, lets go
or make w/e u want rly

Might not be my best but it's been ages since I've done anything

spyro_dawn_of_the_dragon_winter_by_anleas-dbucptd.png

JIZ52Z0.jpg

Yes I like Spyro :x

Reactions: List

Dicknose

Whatever happens, happens.
Nebulae
Gonna start out this next week with claiming it's gonna be Winter Themed!
cus it's soon winter, lets go
or make w/e u want rly

Might not be my best but it's been ages since I've done anything

spyro_dawn_of_the_dragon_winter_by_anleas-dbucptd.png

JIZ52Z0.jpg

Yes I like Spyro :x
Spyro was badass don't worry, but I think I'll working on an animation

D

Deleted member 1392

grr

thumbup1.gif

thumbup1.gif

thumbup1.gif

Thanks for your opinion bud.

Status
Not open for further replies.