Dead Matter

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
looks good but don't let me down, there's just too many "unique and innovative" zombie survival games that are just copied horseshits noawadays
They lack atmosphere as well I find, which even if a game lacks features; good gameplay and atmosphere can make it 10x better.

Dayz is clunky but has a lot of atmosphere to it, which makes it enjoyable imo

Reactions: List

jooni

VAPORWAVE
Nebulae
As long as I can chase people down with an AK-47 while blasting Seinfeld theme at max volume you've got a potential customer.

Well there's VoIP and there is an AK-47 in the game, feel free :)

Glad to see this finally on green light, pretty sure you've been sending me screenshots and videos practically since the day you started working on it.

Looks awesome.

Thank you very much man, I honestly looked up to you a lot when I was younger, still do. It really touches me every single time you say something so kind about the work I do.

Fantastic work as always Johnny, glad to see you and your team are still working on it and getting some good results from the various screenshots you've sent me while you were working on it. Needless to say, it definitely stands out from a lot of the other stuff on greenlight atm, especially considering a lot of the asset copy/pasting shit that's still going on as far as I know

Either way, I wish you all the best with this.

Thank you very much man, I appreciate it.

Not gonna lie, the Graphics here look astounding from what I've seen. Movement looks fluid and there seems to be an extensive number of Melee Weapons to say the least. Although, as expected, I've got Questions in regards to what is currently in the game and what may/will be added in the future:

Will you be able to play Offline/in a Private Server with your Friends or will you always have to Join a Server/Require an Internet Connection?

Will there be Character Customization?

Is there Vehicles and if so, can we Modify them in any way? (Colour, Performance, Bodywork Changes, etc)

Other than those questions, this looks like it has the possible potential to set itself apart from DayZ or H1Z1. I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes and what the final product will look like. Best of luck to say the least; I struggle to even make a fucking Turtle draw a Triangle in Small-Basic.

Will you be able to play Offline/in a Private Server with your Friends or will you always have to Join a Server/Require an Internet Connection?

You can play offline, then simply make your session public and have friends connect off of you from what we've seen this is actually pretty easy to achieve in Unreal Engine 4 as they have full support for the steam subsystem.

Will there be Character Customization?

Yes, Dusty and I put together extremely expansive character customization for Lazarus and plan to go above and beyond for Dead Matter.

Is there Vehicles and if so, can we Modify them in any way? (Colour, Performance, Bodywork Changes, etc)

Yes, currently we have bicycles but we also have models for cars that need to be overhauled but we will start fully implementing them as soon as possible. We wanted to grind out a lot of bodywork variations, as well as small adjustments for each year of a car model, stuff that takes about 20 minutes in photoshop but is intended to give the extra level of detail expected in a large open world.

Thank you again for the compliments, it means a lot to me. A lot of work went into this and it feels so nice to have people recognize it.

looks good but don't let me down, there's just too many "unique and innovative" zombie survival games that are just copied horseshits noawadays

I don't want to let you down, realistically pulling off this sort of project is a nightmare. In every, single, sense of the word, we have had to work extremely long hours putting everything together, having to constantly review all of our work and sometimes even when double and triple checking everything mistakes can still be made.

That being said, survival games usually rely on PvP aspects to sell their titles, while we are going to put effort into nailing down the feeling of PvP being an intense experience, we want to also put effort into stuff like the electrical system, settlements, making sure playing with your friends isn't a fucking nightmare.

vamure

Electron
Nebulae
multiplayer ?? or at a later date looks hard keep it up g

D

Deleted member 243

this is really good sir, sometimes graphics don't matter to me, but when it comes to a realistic enviroment, the graphics add sixteen thousand cherries ontop of that creamy cake.

I wish I could do this, but I can't because yeah I only write guides and rp docs

:(

jooni

VAPORWAVE
Nebulae
i like the guy in the comments who based all your morals and ability off the fact that you have a vac ban from ages ago lol
GosMmDz.png

We're almost half way there

Mancom37

Atom
Nebulae
Always like to ask this to most survival game devs,how is your inventory system gonna work?(Weight,slots,items that occupy certain amounts of slots according to their size,etc)

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Always like to ask this to most survival game devs,how is your inventory system gonna work?(Weight,slots,items that occupy certain amounts of slots according to their size,etc)

RE4 STYLE PLEASE.

jooni

VAPORWAVE
Nebulae
To be honest if you want to be has realistic as possible you would combine both weight and slots.

Realism isn't necessarily what we want, functionality is preferred while keeping elements of realism.

Currently the inventory is a list, this is (obviously) not ideal for what we want. I would like to do something different with the inventory, the most ideal system is each clothing piece is a container that the player wears. Grid based or not, how subcontainers, stacking, etc potentially function is a nightmare in itself.

Zak

Resident xenophile
Nebulae
Realism isn't necessarily what we want, functionality is preferred while keeping elements of realism.

Currently the inventory is a list, this is (obviously) not ideal for what we want. I would like to do something different with the inventory, the most ideal system is each clothing piece is a container that the player wears. Grid based or not, how subcontainers, stacking, etc potentially function is a nightmare in itself.
"lol inventories are easy just copy dayz"

gigi

Atom
Nebulae
looks okay
how far you into dev? finishin up basic engine foundations and moving onto game mecahnics or you still tweakin?

jooni

VAPORWAVE
Nebulae
looks okay
how far you into dev? finishin up basic engine foundations and moving onto game mecahnics or you still tweakin?

Most of the foundation has been completed. Most of our code is being reorganized since that was next on the todo list, plus having things organized makes life a lot easier. We are also retouching a few things such as the world state management, the way players work more or less, how weapons work with the player, etc.

Not hard since the actual work is done. Just needs to be moved around.

Since UE4 is a component based engine you have to think with components in mind. We have many components that we made do that throwing scripts that do small things is brainlessly easy.