Worthwhile to try?

• Yes

• No

• Unsure

Results are only viewable after voting.

echs dee

Atom
Nebulae
i think a weapon degradation would be a decent idea?
a.k.a
use pistol x too much
pistol x becomes weaker unless you clean/repair some parts

Frosty

Schlong
Nebulae
Probably already been said but stuff like migrating hordes that force map change events and such like what basically happens at the end of TWD season 2 and the new map having like an existing faction to cause conflict would keep it fresh

echs dee

Atom
Nebulae
Probably already been said but stuff like migrating hordes that force map change events and such like what basically happens at the end of TWD season 2 and the new map having like an existing faction to cause conflict would keep it fresh
it'd definitely make sense in a zombie apocalypse scenario
though i think there would be more interesting and fun ways to change maps
plus.
no idea but if a horde would need to be made on the server it would most likely lag as hell

Frosty

Schlong
Nebulae
it'd definitely make sense in a zombie apocalypse scenario
though i think there would be more interesting and fun ways to change maps
plus.
no idea but if a horde would need to be made on the server it would most likely lag as hell
Yeah it would be shite If it was just the same every time and not changed up with things like the military napalming or clearing out an area etc or whatever they come up with.

They wouldn’t need an actual horde of NPCs to represent it rather just strategically placed groups and /events

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae
a.k.a
use pistol x too much
no

different upgradeable variants would be cool though
stripped ak, semi ak, auto ak etc

Reactions: List

Clokr

Atom
Nebulae
a.k.a
use pistol x too much
I am sorry my friend but I think that’s a horrible idea looking at it from a more realism perspective.

In my career so far I have shot guns that have had thousands and THOUSANDS of rounds put through them and they haven’t been cleaned once and they still work like a spick and span gun. And then I’ve fired completely spick and span rifles with not a coating of grease anywhere and it jams every other round.

I think people are just to used to the fact that if they pick up a gun they don’t have to worry about using it. And I think that’s good and bad.

Guns are incredibly easy to use but extremely dangerous. But I think for realism purposes if there were to be a sort of setting in the US guns could be used in a much more better way.

For example, there are hundreds of companies that make ARs besides Colt. The same model could be used and I could literally just take a day and help the staff team out and we could write out multiple ones that we can use RP wise to determine how good they are.

For example

Colt M4 Carbine: Military grade and if taken from a soldier it would be select fire, unless you use bad ammo or a bad mag, the weapon will be unlikely to jam or cough up.

Smith and Wesson M&P 15: A rather cheap and common civilian semi AR out in the gun world. Most people just use it for plinking fun but it’s rather prone to fucking up on you

Or for my AK fiends, Century Arms AK series: Absolutely god awful and will very likely either blow up in your hands or just cease to function after a few hundred rounds.

THEN I can get into other ways RP could fit in with guns. Say you’re using a fairly decent weapon and it just stops working, you’re confused as fuck and not a very big gun nut. You can either try and figure it out yourself OR bring it to someone who you know is more experienced.

It could be anything, a dulled firing pin, light strikes, your hammer isn’t properly falling to strike the pin, your bolt gets stuck, the gas system is failing, the barrel could be losing its rifling, double feeds, failure to feed, failure to eject, not enough gas, too MUCH gas

I could go on for hours but I could seriously put into place a very interesting way to use firearms instead of the “oh I haven’t cleaned my gun in the past several rounds I guess my rounds get teleported into the fucking void because this .357 is too weak to slap a small infant”

echs dee

Atom
Nebulae
I am sorry my friend but I think that’s a horrible idea looking at it from a more realism perspective.

In my career so far I have shot guns that have had thousands and THOUSANDS of rounds put through them and they haven’t been cleaned once and they still work like a spick and span gun. And then I’ve fired completely spick and span rifles with not a coating of grease anywhere and it jams every other round.

I think people are just to used to the fact that if they pick up a gun they don’t have to worry about using it. And I think that’s good and bad.

Guns are incredibly easy to use but extremely dangerous. But I think for realism purposes if there were to be a sort of setting in the US guns could be used in a much more better way.

For example, there are hundreds of companies that make ARs besides Colt. The same model could be used and I could literally just take a day and help the staff team out and we could write out multiple ones that we can use RP wise to determine how good they are.

For example

Colt M4 Carbine: Military grade and if taken from a soldier it would be select fire, unless you use bad ammo or a bad mag, the weapon will be unlikely to jam or cough up.

Smith and Wesson M&P 15: A rather cheap and common civilian semi AR out in the gun world. Most people just use it for plinking fun but it’s rather prone to fucking up on you

Or for my AK fiends, Century Arms AK series: Absolutely god awful and will very likely either blow up in your hands or just cease to function after a few hundred rounds.

THEN I can get into other ways RP could fit in with guns. Say you’re using a fairly decent weapon and it just stops working, you’re confused as fuck and not a very big gun nut. You can either try and figure it out yourself OR bring it to someone who you know is more experienced.

It could be anything, a dulled firing pin, light strikes, your hammer isn’t properly falling to strike the pin, your bolt gets stuck, the gas system is failing, the barrel could be losing its rifling, double feeds, failure to feed, failure to eject, not enough gas, too MUCH gas

I could go on for hours but I could seriously put into place a very interesting way to use firearms instead of the “oh I haven’t cleaned my gun in the past several rounds I guess my rounds get teleported into the fucking void because this .357 is too weak to slap a small infant”
ah, well then

what you said actually sounds pretty good for a firearm system
having a couple company variants of the same gun would be a better alternative to be honest
guns could have minimal/large differences probably?
probably depending on the base too but it's a cool idea still

Clokr

Atom
Nebulae
ah, well then

what you said actually sounds pretty good for a firearm system
having a couple company variants of the same gun would be a better alternative to be honest
guns could have minimal/large differences probably?
probably depending on the base too but it's a cool idea still
Basically, yeah. Some companies can make an AR for example that parts can be interchanged from different ARs without any issue. And others if you interchange different core parts will fuck it up further because those like 2mm differences can seriously define wether it’ll continue to work or not

And you’ll have to really be careful with ammo. If you have a AR that says on the lower receiver 5.56 caliber you’ll be able to use both 5.56 AND .223 out of it. But if you have a civi AR that says .223 caliber you can’t use 5.56 or else you’ve just turned that gun into a mobile hand grenade because that tiny small difference in the two rounds will fuck your world up

And if you hate someone enough you can slip a .300 BLK round into their 5.56 rifle and watch as it blows up in their hands while trying to shoot a zombie and now they’re a zombie too

echs dee

Atom
Nebulae
Basically, yeah. Some companies can make an AR for example that parts can be interchanged from different ARs without any issue. And others if you interchange different core parts will fuck it up further because those like 2mm differences can seriously define wether it’ll continue to work or not

And you’ll have to really be careful with ammo. If you have a AR that says on the lower receiver 5.56 caliber you’ll be able to use both 5.56 AND .223 out of it. But if you have a civi AR that says .223 caliber you can’t use 5.56 or else you’ve just turned that gun into a mobile hand grenade because that tiny small difference in the two rounds will fuck your world up

And if you hate someone enough you can slip a .300 BLK round into their 5.56 rifle and watch as it blows up in their hands while trying to shoot a zombie and now they’re a zombie too
i will sabotage enemy groups by gifting them .300 instead of 5.56

echs dee

Atom
Nebulae
the servers confirmed
rictalspace has shown me some gameplay
this is me creating my character
5320bae2e23a4d59f1e08ebf580a1baf.png

Clokr

Atom
Nebulae
opinion discarded
Hey have you ever tried to clean some bubbas gun after he puts around 10,000 rounds through it and has no idea what cleaning is let alone personal hygiene

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Hey have you ever tried to clean some bubbas gun after he puts around 10,000 rounds through it and has no idea what cleaning is let alone personal hygiene
I literally clean my gun every time we go shooting, dude

D

Deleted member 243

I said I was thinking about it....

1024px-The_Walking_Dead_2010_logo.svg.png

Disclaimer
This is not an announcement, nor is it a confirmation of anything. This is a discussion based on my own thoughts and is not confirmed to be the next server etc.

The Premise

The world has fallen to a zombie apocalypse. A virus of unknown origin, that causes extreme fever and death brings the victims back to a state of frenzied animal-like behaviour, has wiped out 95% of humanity.

The survivors of this apocalypse now struggle to survive against hordes of the undead, dwindling supplies, and each other. Those brave enough group up together for protection, whilst others go it alone.

The undead show no remorse, no hesitancy, no respite. They tear through living flesh like paper until they move on. Little is known about their behaviours, but the only way to keep them down is to destroy the brain.

The Server

Slots
The idea of this is to keep it limited, i.e. not a 128 slot server. One server should only reach around 40-50 slots maximum. When you add NPC’s to the mix, going over 50 will only slow everything down and ruin the experience.

In-Game Features
Hunger/Thirst
Therefore, hunger and thirst should kill - meaning you’re required to put in risk to survive.

PK rules should be strict, there would be a disclaimer that you shouldn’t expect to survive long - so make the most of the life you have.

NPC’s
Zombies will be incredibly difficult to kill, with headshots being the only way to kill them. Making even a single zombie a danger. But to not have them be overpowered, they should be limited to start with. Sometimes running is better than fighting.

To also increase the risk, shots/loud noises should attract more zombies.

The attack speed of zombies should be tested, to allow people to use melee weapons effectively without the worry of being instantly hit. Perhaps a low chance to be hit by a zombie?

Player Zombies
Given to select players - some zombies should be roleplayed with to give 1 to 1 engagements much more fun and exploration. Scuffles and what not rather than just running to and from an NPC.

If successful, perhaps the chance to play as a zombie becomes second nature where dying isn’t necessarily the end.

Damage
As with TWD, a single scratch/bite can infect a person. This will tie in with the ‘do not expect to live long’.

To give some ability to survive, a zombie hit should have a % chance to actually hit, with a small % chance of being infected. Being infected obviously is the end of the road.

Maps
Maps should be on a continuous monthly or bi-weekly cycle. Being holed up in the same area doesn’t make sense for this kind of setting. Perhaps in the future where towns start to be created it may be prudent to stay on one map. But ideally you would want to keep the map size small to direct server resources at NPC activity.

Weapons
Fairly common to find melee weapons to defend yourself with, with guns being uncommon and ammo being rare.

Vehicles
One of the main things in TWD is cars and fuel. Whether this is integrated or not would have to be for discussion.

Mindsets
This is an important section, as I would hope the mindsets here are different to HL2RP. What do I mean by mindsets? The structure of thoughts you have whilst playing the game, how you act and how you react to things.

This would be a bit more hardcore in terms of living spans. You shouldn’t expect to see people living months at a time. Therefore, for:
  • Players
    • Fear, but necessity of risk to survive. You should expect to be killed and shouldn’t be hiding away just to keep your character alive.
    • Should be pushing for RP over life expectancy or weapons to look good.
  • Staff
    • Leniency in terms of authorisation requests/item scavenging. Always try to say yes unless a request doesn’t make sense/is too much.

Story Continuation

Ideally the story would start off with scavenging is the name of the game to survive.

A few months on would see people banding together to create groups/towns with the plant growing options taken from HL2RP.

Bandit groups would form as player vs. player activity ramps up with the zombies being a side note - even used as weapons as seen in the series.

Coding Requirements
  • Chance system on being hit/infected
  • Infection system
  • Zombie/NPC spawn system
  • Loot system, more integrated than the current HL2RP one
  • Base gamemode of survivors etc
    • Starting gear, perhaps giving everyone one custom item of their choosing when spawning
  • Prop damage, allowing zombies to enter through doors/props when attacking

Staff Requirements
  • The idea would be to try and limit the staff required, so that inactivity of staff doesn’t kill the server.
  • A limited staff team to keep the rules, and perhaps an event/zombie spawning team
  • A server director who’s passionate about the setting that isn’t me.
Thoughts?
We had a pseudo-TWD type of deal with FTRP/QZRP (unintended, there were still zombies). There was a glaring issue with combat though. GMod leaves the possibility to hit an NPC and to jump back a massive distance, or just to out-walk the NPCs entirely.

In my humble opinion, you should add a feature that makes a player fall over whenever they walk backwards for a prolonged time (scaled with an attribute like agility. the more agile you are, the less likely you'll fall down and get eaten)

just my 2 cents. overall a very good idea

echs dee

Atom
Nebulae
only server idea that could use all of the NMRiH melees
truly a good idea

echs dee

Atom
Nebulae
following it like the "format" that rictal started with, making some ideas.

The premise (?)

No internet... Just a issue, right?
Electricity and everything stays on, besides the internet and TV, only state-ran media plays.
National Guard, what a sight. Words about a curfew are thrown around. Apparently going out in night is a death sentence.
Everything else seems to be normal. Life goes on, until you forget one thing. It's night time.
You can't see, you just run forward. But whatever is chasing you, is faster.

A.k.a
zombies at night for the early-game and then they evolve
something like dying light 2?
like 80% of zombies are agile and dangerous as hell, but only go out at night/ hide in closed off buildings.
National guard's meant to maintain the peace and stop riots and lootings from happening, alongside the cops.
Setting? Could be anything to be honest, my idea is to make it universal.

In-Game Features
realistic-ish armor system.
basically,
ability to protect your limbs, with craftable armor. etc, basic kneepads, vests and such.
stop blunt/blade damage/lower damage, stop bites in certain cases

time + useage of weather?
scripted time, a.k.a like a pop up on the screen that says "it's 7:16PM, you should get home.", tied to stormfox ofc.
Weather could have the temperature damage thing? alongside some clothing to protect you from cold, requires probably a good amount of scripting.

Med item system? (used with the current hl2rp limb system)
Not the "you have 2 uses left" one.
Something like the EFT one?
medical items have like 50 health,
etc, a arm is 50 health or something.
use the kit, (possible wait time? like 5 seconds or smth.)

Zombies (NPC's)
there'll be some trouble making zombies work probably. There's quite a lot to choose, tbh. But I think it'd be best to go with some very agile ones, or/and slow ones. of course, they shouldn't be undefeatable.

Player zombies.
Well, like NPC's but you have to roleplay the fights with them instead. No idea if making NPC zombies passive for the player ones is even possible so yeah.

Zombie infections and such.
IMO, zombies shouldn't be a straight up kill. Bites of course, will be deadly. I don't think that scratches should turn anybody into a zombie, though they'll most likely be a couple times more dangerous than anything else. Probably like cutting yourself with a blade soaked in idfk a hobo's piss.

Weapons.
TFA base in my opinion could work?
NMRiH weapons(entire pack) There's 2 options I've seen for TFA, weapons turned automatic and much faster (more dynamic gameplay.) And a standard NMRiH weapons pack, slow, semi-auto guns with hell-long reloads.
It looks decent since the weapons don't look like they're handled by Navy Seals, like with the INS ones. Other weapons could be added later always.
Melee's will be from NMRiH of course. Maybe some custom ones along?
-Plank
-Plank with nails
-Shiv (not really custom)
and probably more.

Maps.
Starting off in a urban enviroment and switching to a more outskirt-ish map would be a good idea.
rp_unioncity - big new-york ish map (day n night)
rp_southside - same but other layout (day & night?)
rp_downpour - coastal town/city (night map)

well enough of my ted talk i guess

Last edited: