5FbYgJy.png

img

DFEmJ2f.png

at least hes getting rid of these giant crows for us

Reactions: List

sots

community bear
Nebulae
as for an update on the bronze colossus situation, he ended up falling into my spike pit (which didnt matter because the spears are copper and hes made of bronze) which he then tried to climb up, only to run into a wall of blocks that i put in because i ran into an aquifer, but as it turns out its really hard to climb up block walls!! so i now have a megabeast trapped inside of this little hole. for now, any goblins or other invaders that fall in there will probably get torn to shreds by the colossus, but i plan on eventually creating a cage trap for him to wander into, so that i can use him as the center piece in a zoo, or maybe attach his cage to a lever so that i can unleash him on any invaders before they even get close

ZJtQpA1.png

Last edited:

Mic15000

The Underdog
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
as for an update on the bronze colossus situation, he ended up falling into my spike pit (which didnt matter because the spears are copper and hes made of bronze) which he then tried to climb up, only to run into a wall of blocks that i put in because i ran into an aquifer, but as it turns out its really hard to climb up block walls!! so i now have a megabeast trapped inside of this little hole. for now, any goblins or other invaders that fall in there will probably get torn to shreds by the colossus, but i plan on eventually creating a cage trap for him to wander into, so that i can use him as the center piece in a zoo, or maybe attach his cage to a lever so that i can unleash him on any invaders before they even get close

ZJtQpA1.png
You just created a Skyrim dwarven dungeon

image.png

sots

community bear
Nebulae
81VgoOq.png

so ive really been struggling to find the caves on this map but i did not expect to have to dig a HUNDRED FUCKING Z LEVELS DOWN

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
>Started a new fortress.
>Autumn came.
>Traders arrive, unload their goods.
>No diplomacy to request next years shipments, what the hell?
>Shrug it off, continue.
>Notice something weird, go and look.
>It's the fucking outpost liaison, fighting for his life attempting to swim up the nearby waterfall like a fucking salmon

Why the fuck do the dwarves just LOVE diving head-first waterfalls. I even pre-emptively went out of my way and made all water tiles on the map restricted so these idiots wouldn't drown themselves at the first opportunity given. How fucked am I if he dies? Does it affect my standing with the homeland despite his death being unrelated to my actions? Will they just send another next year?

EDIT: By sheer will of fucking force, he eventually became a proficient enough swimmer to actually swim the waterfall and made it successfully into the fort. What an absolute unit of a dwarf.

Last edited:

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Is there a mod or a way to set what kind of migrants you'll accept, because of my fort of 37 dwarves 16 of them are literally children.

sots

community bear
Nebulae
the amount of millitia captains ive had killed by random children throwing tantrums makes me want to eat my fucking shoe

sots

community bear
Nebulae
throw me ur top tips
finding sand in the caves is really nice for making glass trap components, a glass serrated disc will fuck up most things coming through your gates

replace copper picks with iron/bronze early on, miners make a great early game millitia since their weapon skill comes from their mining skill, so a legendary miner will probably come out chopping heads off

a nice animal set up is
a male and a female dog (Early game fort defense and hunting help)
a male and a female cat (Keeps your kitchen vermin free)
a male and female pig (For milk and cheese)
A male turkey gobbler and ten turkey hens (For egg production, really good sustainable food)

learn quantum stockpiles for things like stone and wood, it saves fps and space!

don't be afraid of magma, magma smelters, forges etc. save you having to make coke or charcoal completely and for that it gets the AngryJoe Badass Seal of Approval

if you're fishing, have a dwarf set to churn out shell crafts all the time, you'll be able to afford basically anything you need from a caravan after a year, it's very economical, and you'll get a nice legendary bone carver out of it!!

dwarves travel up and down stairs more efficiently than across, try to build your fort with as much of the Z axis in mind as possible. Usually, I'll have a central staircase with 20 bedrooms surrounding it on each floor, instead of one mega bedroom, so that in theory they'll probably be nearby whatever they need to use

mist generators ARE essential, plop one down infront of your tavern, dining room, temples, wherever dwarfs are gonna be going pretty often

whenever you're working with water, always dig out a drain, and a floodgate so that you can access it again to work on it if need be

if a dwarf gets attached to a weapon you don't want them to use, you can mess with their specific load out so that they're assigned a *specific* weapon, if they've decided to become attached to their shitty copper axe, when you have a perfectly good *steel axe* waiting for them in the forge

speaking of weapons, have three seperate squads! axes for animals/unarmoured creatures/finishing off unconscious enemies, hammerdorfs for knocking out armoured enemies, and spears for piercing massive fleshy abominations (which there will be many of)

silver is equivelant to steel when it comes to blunt weapons

if you're limited on steel, make sure all of your millitary has a nice steel helm, it's the most important piece of armour

material doesn't effect the effectiveness of a shield, an iron shield and a wooden shield will block just as effectively as each other, though wooden shields will break much quicker, so you'll need a stock

the history and size of your world doesn't affect fps much, but it will affect how long it takes to save your game, so if you're plagued when five minute long saving screens, try generating a world with less history, or a smaller world

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
A male turkey gobbler and ten turkey hens (For egg production, really good sustainable food)
I have nest boxes in their pen but for whatever reason they don't seem to lay eggs or fertilise them and grow new chicks, any idea? I tried forbidding them so the dwarves wouldn't pilfer the eggs but it didn't seem to help much. I think they did lay SOME eggs, but I'm not 100% beyond the fact that I was forever without new birds.

learn quantum stockpiles for things like stone and wood, it saves fps and space!
please for the love of god how do I do this, I have an entire floor dedicated to storage for these fucking things because apparently I can stuff 50 iron chestplates into a box but god forbid I put two logs in a box.

mist generators ARE essential, plop one down infront of your tavern, dining room, temples, wherever dwarfs are gonna be going pretty often
How'd you do mist generators? I'd heard they got happy thoughts from it but outside of building into a waterfall (RIP to all the fallen who keep jumping off my bridges) I've no idea how to do it.

speaking of weapons, have three seperate squads! axes for animals/unarmoured creatures/finishing off unconscious enemies, hammerdorfs for knocking out armoured enemies, and spears for piercing massive fleshy abominations (which there will be many of)
I'm ngl I've made it a goal to have 1 squad of each type of weapon, good or bad idea?

silver is equivelant to steel when it comes to blunt weapons
Totally random - I've never had to deal with werebeasts yet (fuck knows how, apparently y'all get them every day) but is silver important for dealing with that stuff, or nah? I honestly never use 'rare minerals' outside of a BOOMING gemstone trade.

sots

community bear
Nebulae
I have nest boxes in their pen but for whatever reason they don't seem to lay eggs or fertilise them and grow new chicks, any idea? I tried forbidding them so the dwarves wouldn't pilfer the eggs but it didn't seem to help much. I think they did lay SOME eggs, but I'm not 100% beyond the fact that I was forever without new birds.
Try adding a door and forbidding the door instead, it might be a case of the task of moving the eggs activating before you locked them

please for the love of god how do I do this, I have an entire floor dedicated to storage for these fucking things because apparently I can stuff 50 iron chestplates into a box but god forbid I put two logs in a box.

a bit complicated to explain through text but i'll try!

have a 1x1 stockpile for the quantum stockpile, directly next to a track stop with maximum brake, and then a second stockpile, maybe 3x3 so that more than one of the item is hauled at a time

Disallow dwarves to take/give to the 1x1 stockpile

Go to the minecarts tab, add a new route

Allow it to intake whatever the stockpile is, add a minecart and set it so that when its full it is *kicked* in the direction of the 1x1 stockpile

Everything will pile on top of each other!

Important to note, things in barrels, bins and other containers don't work good with it, but it's great for stones and wood!

How'd you do mist generators? I'd heard they got happy thoughts from it but outside of building into a waterfall (RIP to all the fallen who keep jumping off my bridges) I've no idea how to do it.

Find a powersource, i usually make a manmade river and plop them down on that next to my main recreation floor. Windmills are probably the easiest to set up but they'll have to be connected to the surface so you'll probably need a lot of'em

MV8IGOv.png

Set up a buffer before your tavern or dining room in a 4x4

xDUw7uy.png

On the floor above, dig out a hole in each corner and set up four water pumps going around in a circle, with three gear assemblies connecting them. once it's powered, just use a pond zone over one of the holes to pour at least two lots of water into the hole. from there, it'll be working!

make sure to add a statue under each hole or you'll get dirt piling up, and potentially dwarves walking under the water and breaking things
I'm ngl I've made it a goal to have 1 squad of each type of weapon, good or bad idea?
i usually do a squad of a few dwarves, if they're alone they can only do individual combat training, no sparring/teaching etc. so it might slow things down. also, your legendary guys can't pass on their skills to other squad members!

Totally random - I've never had to deal with werebeasts yet (fuck knows how, apparently y'all get them every day) but is silver important for dealing with that stuff, or nah? I honestly never use 'rare minerals' outside of a BOOMING gemstone trade.
i've actually only dealt with the one wereanteater lmao, but nah, werebeasts act like any other monster, but they'll infect other dwarves through bite, so killing them through traps is probably optimal tbh. if you do suffer a werebeast victim though, add a hospital with a door so that you can bar them off on their own and figure out what to do with them from there!

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Try adding a door and forbidding the door instead, it might be a case of the task of moving the eggs activating before you locked them
That's not actually a bad idea, I'll give that a shot, ty.

a bit complicated to explain through text but i'll try!

have a 1x1 stockpile for the quantum stockpile, directly next to a track stop with maximum brake, and then a second stockpile, maybe 3x3 so that more than one of the item is hauled at a time

Disallow dwarves to take/give to the 1x1 stockpile

Go to the minecarts tab, add a new route

Allow it to intake whatever the stockpile is, add a minecart and set it so that when its full it is *kicked* in the direction of the 1x1 stockpile

Everything will pile on top of each other!

Important to note, things in barrels, bins and other containers don't work good with it, but it's great for stones and wood!
I actually completely understand this - the concept is that when they kick the minecart over and it throws the contents out, the location the contents lands isn't checking to see if it has 'space' for it, and so just allows it to go there regardless of the 20k stone that's sitting there. That's actually really clever.

Find a powersource, i usually make a manmade river and plop them down on that next to my main recreation floor. Windmills are probably the easiest to set up but they'll have to be connected to the surface so you'll probably need a lot of'em

MV8IGOv.png

Set up a buffer before your tavern or dining room in a 4x4

xDUw7uy.png

On the floor above, dig out a hole in each corner and set up four water pumps going around in a circle, with three gear assemblies connecting them. once it's powered, just use a pond zone over one of the holes to pour at least two lots of water into the hole. from there, it'll be working!

make sure to add a statue under each hole or you'll get dirt piling up, and potentially dwarves walking under the water and breaking things
This I didn't actually understand, but I imagine it's hard to understand it via ms paint, so I'll probably find a video, unless you got one handy?

i usually do a squad of a few dwarves, if they're alone they can only do individual combat training, no sparring/teaching etc. so it might slow things down. also, your legendary guys can't pass on their skills to other squad members!
I've learned the way of having people be CONSTANTLY training forever outdoors while living a lavish life underground works really well, but wdym they can't pass on their skills?

i've actually only dealt with the one wereanteater lmao, but nah, werebeasts act like any other monster, but they'll infect other dwarves through bite, so killing them through traps is probably optimal tbh. if you do suffer a werebeast victim though, add a hospital with a door so that you can bar them off on their own and figure out what to do with them from there!
Good to know I don't need a stock of silver weapons ready. Though tbh, my last/current fort is in paralysis mode because my gemstone miners released some ancient soldier of some god war or something in the caverns and I tried to get all my dwarves to go to their burrow but for some reason stupid fucking kids don't obey the burrow rule, so I'm stuck in a paradox where there's a kid in the caverns that I have a drawbridge door for, and I can't seemingly get them out because the second I open the gate a bunch of other kids run down there to go play in the caverns. Additionally I can't turn off the burrow rule and have the door open otherwise these dorfs will run to their deaths and I'm trying to non-lethally capture the soldier for later use.

also ty for all your help sots, I appreciate you :)

sots

community bear
Nebulae
This I didn't actually understand, but I imagine it's hard to understand it via ms paint, so I'll probably find a video, unless you got one handy?

blind is amazing shout out my boy, though windmills kinda suck imo, so waterwheels for life

wdym they can't pass on their skills?
dwarves train each other, if a dwarf is a legendary armour user they tend to lead demonstrations on exactly that, so if you take *one* dwarf that's a great warrior, add him to a squad, he'll probably end up training the others and they'll skill up much quicker!
also ty for all your help sots, I appreciate you :)
i kiss you passionately.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I've learned the way of having people be CONSTANTLY training forever outdoors while living a lavish life underground works really well, but wdym they can't pass on their skills?
having each squadmate use a different weapon means your legendary swordsman is incapable of training anyone in the art of using a sword, because everydwarf is using a different weapon

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
having each squadmate use a different weapon means your legendary swordsman is incapable of training anyone in the art of using a sword, because everydwarf is using a different weapon
Ohhhh I see the confusion, no no. I have a squad of 10 bowdwarves, another squad of 10 axedwarves, 10 sworddwarves and so on.

blind is amazing shout out my boy, though windmills kinda suck imo, so waterwheels for life
I'll have a look into it later :)

Now, who can teach me how to farm because I literally don't and just use fruit from trees and trade gemstones for boxes of textiles and make food via a booming meat industry.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Now, who can teach me how to farm because I literally don't and just use fruit from trees and trade gemstones for boxes of textiles and make food via a booming meat industry.

BRUH

you put down farmlands in the build menu, click it, and then tell them what crops you want to plant at what season

go to your cooking menu and disable "make meals out of plump helmets"