Dwarf Fortress: Seagull noises edition.

Pict

Scottish Highlander
Nebulae
image.png

My short fort got the Barony offer under 5 years of founding the volcano fort and currently figuring out the issue with the wagon pathway issue and about a dozen dorfs died to dehydration because we got no reliable source of water lol.

Also didn't dig the garbage pit deep enough an Urist caught fire dumping corpses into the lava pit from the refuse, rip

Not gonna lie since release this game has consumed me :)

Reactions: List

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
One of my dwarves mysteriously died in a bloody pool, and when I went to entomb them, I noticed I could entomb someone else, which led me to find there was a ghost haunting my fort. How, I had no idea, but I went to go engrave their slab when I noticed ANOTHER name - the name of someone who wasn't one of my citizens, not as far as I could see on my list.

I entomb and engrave everyone I can, and fast forward a bit. Some bard is asking to join my fort, and so I go to look at their stats when I see someone's name flashing blue and completely unable to read it. I decide to click on them to see wtf was with them, and when I go to their location, they're at the bottom of my nearby lake???
image.png

AND THEN I NOTICE THEY'RE SURROUNDED BY ACTUAL (not fish) CORPSES, ALONG WITH THE CORPSE OF THE PERSON I ENGRAVED???
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png

I have no idea why there are the corpses of five, soon to be six bards just down stream of my moat?
image.png

Nothing should have pushed them off the bridge, and there's more bridges (which now I'm saying that I'm gonna go check them too (edit: checked every other bridge, no jumpers)) - who the fuck has a vendetta against bards in my fort, or have all of the bards I've denied entry to just committed to sleeping with the fishes when I've said no to them joining

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
One of my dwarves mysteriously died in a bloody pool, and when I went to entomb them, I noticed I could entomb someone else, which led me to find there was a ghost haunting my fort. How, I had no idea, but I went to go engrave their slab when I noticed ANOTHER name - the name of someone who wasn't one of my citizens, not as far as I could see on my list.

I entomb and engrave everyone I can, and fast forward a bit. Some bard is asking to join my fort, and so I go to look at their stats when I see someone's name flashing blue and completely unable to read it. I decide to click on them to see wtf was with them, and when I go to their location, they're at the bottom of my nearby lake???
image.png

AND THEN I NOTICE THEY'RE SURROUNDED BY ACTUAL (not fish) CORPSES, ALONG WITH THE CORPSE OF THE PERSON I ENGRAVED???
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png

I have no idea why there are the corpses of five, soon to be six bards just down stream of my moat?
image.png

Nothing should have pushed them off the bridge, and there's more bridges (which now I'm saying that I'm gonna go check them too (edit: checked every other bridge, no jumpers)) - who the fuck has a vendetta against bards in my fort, or have all of the bards I've denied entry to just committed to sleeping with the fishes when I've said no to them joining

odds are a pet fell into the river and was carried down the waterfall
if the pet was a duck or something else that can swim then it'd stay alive f or a while, and characters will dive in after it to try and recover the duck

they, unlike the duck, cannot swim

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
odds are a pet fell into the river and was carried down the waterfall
if the pet was a duck or something else that can swim then it'd stay alive f or a while, and characters will dive in after it to try and recover the duck

they, unlike the duck, cannot swim
Every corpse down there is either a bard or a monster slayer, travellers don't bring pets, right? Also, the elf I pictured is NOT drowning, my mans is just standing there menacingly

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Every corpse down there is either a bard or a monster slayer, travellers don't bring pets, right? Also, the elf I pictured is NOT drowning, my mans is just standing there menacingly

bro the elf might be a vampire

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
bro the elf might be a vampire
At least four more corpses have joined the elf sitting down there. He's classified as a guest, with no activity and he hasn't starved so uh... Yeah, I honestly think you might be right lmao

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
At least four more corpses have joined the elf sitting down there. He's classified as a guest, with no activity and he hasn't starved so uh... Yeah, I honestly think you might be right lmao

if he's biblically old and legendary in multiple skills then he's definitely a vampire

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
if he's biblically old and legendary in multiple skills then he's definitely a vampire
idk how to see his age but he's a legendary woodcutter, which is ironic considering he's an elf

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I sure do love how every time, on every fort I've had so far, that the second some uninvited guest appears a wave of fucking migrants also appear at the same time. Like, It's so common it's absurd. I almost always lose some migrants to it and I genuinely have begun to rationalise it as they're fleeing from it and they bring it with them (even though the migrant wave usually happens a few seconds after the monster appears)

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I think I've figured out why they're drowning. The water values under the bridge aren't always 7/7 due to the waterfall just a few squares away. I think these idiots perceive the water as being safe to swim across, and so attempt it, only to get immediately washed downstream and drowned at the base of the waterfall.

The only thing I can think to do is to move the bridge across (which would mean redoing a section of my wall, or perhaps leave it there as a darwinian approach to weeding out the idiots who think they can swim across the rapids atop a waterfall. What'd y'all think?

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I think I've figured out why they're drowning. The water values under the bridge aren't always 7/7 due to the waterfall just a few squares away. I think these idiots perceive the water as being safe to swim across, and so attempt it, only to get immediately washed downstream and drowned at the base of the waterfall.

The only thing I can think to do is to move the bridge across (which would mean redoing a section of my wall, or perhaps leave it there as a darwinian approach to weeding out the idiots who think they can swim across the rapids atop a waterfall. What'd y'all think?

could just build a floor over the precipice of the waterfall

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
could just build a floor over the precipice of the waterfall
That would invalidate the moat and allow intruders to literally walk over to the wall and climb. I've opted for moving the bridge.

In other news, the suspected vampire is missing and I'm unsure if it joined the corpses or has escaped.

sots

community bear
Nebulae
mPHljfN.png

iYe4aH1.png

i live in a cold region, and had my expedition leader die at the start of the game when the ice melted when he was walking across it, so i opted to stop them from walking across the ice river. so try using restricted traffic areas like this so they'll only go across if they have no other choice. they should use the bridge instead if its available

Pict

Scottish Highlander
Nebulae
image.png

Started to figure out how to utilize work orders better and quickly became a Duchy fort within 5 years of establishment, the ratfolk neighbors seemed to have ceased after their numerous attempts at child abductions and ambush raids and took some adjustments to fit the parking space for the caravans.

One Weaver was constantly accused of grey tide behavior from his tantrums as they do, and a forgotten beast killed the cool gnoll monster hunter before getting goofed by the Dorf military.

image.png

image.png

I save-scummed a little bit because oh my god its always the Taverns werebeasts start to morb and ruin everything and I'm sick of it so only open to residents now :) Library is publically open and yet to have morbing incidents yet!

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I save-scummed a little bit because oh my god its always the Taverns werebeasts start to morb and ruin everything and I'm sick of it so only open to residents now :) Library is publically open and yet to have morbing incidents yet!
Outside of the vampire in my lake I've honestly yet to encounter any werebeasts yet, just uninvited guests and sieges.

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Speaking of uninvited guests, I just had a forgotten beast appear in the caverns and come try to attack me, but on his way over to the stairwell he ran into a tribe of Olm people who proceeded to gang up on him and kill him. Thanks Olm people.

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
A bunch of drunk kids decided to pick a fight in the tavern. In short, numerous wounded and I now have three dead children, two somehow gelded.