Dwarf Fortress: Seagull noises edition.

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Also, side note, am I going overboard with the micromanagement or is it a good idea to use the labour board to create labour orders for every single task instead of the default ones, assigning the people who're best at it to each bit? I don't mean the work orders btw, though god is that handy

Also, anyone know the ideal bedroom size? I've been going at this with rimworld mentality too

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Also, side note, am I going overboard with the micromanagement or is it a good idea to use the labour board to create labour orders for every single task instead of the default ones, assigning the people who're best at it to each bit? I don't mean the work orders btw, though god is that handy

Also, anyone know the ideal bedroom size? I've been going at this with rimworld mentality too

the game automatically assigns tasks to the best dwarf at that particular task, if they have the "do any available task" option ticked, which it is by default

for regular dwarves 2x2 is optimal, you have enough room for a bed, drawer, and coffer, which is all a dwarf wants

for nobles you might need 3x3 so you can store armor and weapon racks, or more coffers

Reactions: List

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
the game automatically assigns tasks to the best dwarf at that particular task, if they have the "do any available task" option ticked, which it is by default

for regular dwarves 2x2 is optimal, you have enough room for a bed, drawer, and coffer, which is all a dwarf wants

for nobles you might need 3x3 so you can store armor and weapon racks, or more coffers
When we say "coffers" is that a term for barrel/bin or is this genuinely something I'm missing, like how "goblet" is just "cup or mug"

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
When we say "coffers" is that a term for barrel/bin or is this genuinely something I'm missing, like how "goblet" is just "cup or mug"

a chest

when made of rock its a coffer

Last edited:

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Last question for now cause I'm currently tryna hand-make my dwarves, do nobles; manager, book keeper, etc, still do other tasks - I genuinely can't remember. For instance, I wanna make sure I go into this with dwarves that can do the hyper valuable noble tasks like manager so I can automate stuff from earlier on to help get on my feet, but I don't want to risk setting my best mining dwarf to being in an office all day, you get me?

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Last question for now cause I'm currently tryna hand-make my dwarves, do nobles; manager, book keeper, etc, still do other tasks - I genuinely can't remember. For instance, I wanna make sure I go into this with dwarves that can do the hyper valuable noble tasks like manager so I can automate stuff from earlier on to help get on my feet, but I don't want to risk setting my best mining dwarf to being in an office all day, you get me?

they do other stuff but will take breaks to head to their study to do their management job

eventually nobles will be forced on you so get ready to start handling insane mayors who ban the consumption of edible goods

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
they do other stuff but will take breaks to head to their study to do their management job

eventually nobles will be forced on you so get ready to start handling insane mayors who ban the consumption of edible goods
local dwarf gets entombed I mean falls victim to terrible cave in

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
dug too deep, and the "Demon of Vomit" murdered all 100 of my dwarves in the span of 2 minutes

my best guess, he killed the dwarf that discovered him, causing a dwarf to immediately come down try to retrieve the body to put in the tomb
he killed that dwarf, causing 2 dwarves to come down to put the bodies in tombs
then 4
then 8
then 16

until all of my dwarves, like lemmings, walked down into that cavern and were mauled to death

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
mfw I hand craft my starting party and meticulously pick their items...

...but forget I apparently need a BATTLE AXE to cut down trees.

Managed to keep going long enough for migrants to save my ass, but did you know that fucking MALACHITE is how you get fucking COPPER?? I only just fucking found out after fucking going on the wiki - I've had fucking malachite since the beginning along with magnetite and limonite (FUCKING IRON) and here I've been without any god damn metal whatsoever until I just found silver and gold.

The game is fun so far, but why the fuck did they decide just to over complicate the ore names???

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
mfw I hand craft my starting party and meticulously pick their items...

...but forget I apparently need a BATTLE AXE to cut down trees.

Managed to keep going long enough for migrants to save my ass, but did you know that fucking MALACHITE is how you get fucking COPPER?? I only just fucking found out after fucking going on the wiki - I've had fucking malachite since the beginning along with magnetite and limonite (FUCKING IRON) and here I've been without any god damn metal whatsoever until I just found silver and gold.

The game is fun so far, but why the fuck did they decide just to over complicate the ore names???
all of the ores are geologically accurate to real life

did you know that hematite is how you get iron
yeah, hematite, the ore that's literally everywhere

you get the second best metal in the game from it

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

I did not know that, I just assumed the ore we got iron from was just called fucking iron like a plebian, but regardless I don't care - I'd still prefer simplicity in this case

sots

community bear
Nebulae
i usually just click on whatever rock i just dug up and it tells u if its an ore of whatever

like when i ran into limonite i clicked on it and it says "ore of iron" as its first use so i was like yeah nice

Mic15000

The Underdog
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

My first fort had basically no hematite then on the second fort I Was full of Iron hematite. It really great how you can change the difficulty and experience by embarking in this difference places.

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
eWVlV0d.png

spot the noble

yes the floor is made out of solid gold and engraved solely by the fortress' legendary engraver

Wehl2kt.png

he's happy about it

sots

community bear
Nebulae
would like to confirm that we've had an additional incident
Noe3Fmk.png

ICvfjTu.png
to elaborate on this, the wereanteater went on to kill about 5 of my dwarves that were left outside when i couldnt figure out how burrows worked, before he literally left the map after i got my millitary in place.

since this incident we have been preparing for months and months, with a now fully stocked millitary equipped my with iron equipment and a well trained dwarves.

it was only a matter of time before he arrived again and started beating a cat, two geese, and a guineahan, and a dwarvern child to death outside of my fort, launching the creatures into the stratosphere, and improving his wrestling
uBPOKy2.png

x0qnHwm.png

MjdOz88.png

however, the millitary eventually collapsed on this fucking brute, and proceeded to hack his leg off with a clean sweep of his battleaxe
4rPUyGe.png

long live ilral the avenger of dorf kind

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I'm ngl I have no idea how squads and militaries work, I tried to station a guy outside of a cavern entrance and the idiot stood there until he almost died of dehydration (I noticed him begging for water when I went to go mine some shit) and at this point I'm willing to just pray for adventurers to come and defend me before I bother making my own military lmao

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I'm ngl I have no idea how squads and militaries work, I tried to station a guy outside of a cavern entrance and the idiot stood there until he almost died of dehydration (I noticed him begging for water when I went to go mine some shit) and at this point I'm willing to just pray for adventurers to come and defend me before I bother making my own military lmao

if you tell them to do something, they will do it until they drop dead
they're determined little fuckers like that

don't tell them to stand guard somewhere permanently, instead make a burrow allocate the squad to that burrow