what's the worst that'll happen

image.png

image.png

Reactions: List

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Anyone know how to fill in the murky pools? At least on the very surface, I'd like to make the most of my surface area.

Side note, are they safe for water sources btw? The pre-steam wiki says they don't like it, but I've yet to test it. Also, for some reason when it's winter my well just fucking breaks on my river, assumedly because the ice freezes, so are wells an underground only kinda deal, or what?

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Anyone know how to fill in the murky pools? At least on the very surface, I'd like to make the most of my surface area.

Side note, are they safe for water sources btw? The pre-steam wiki says they don't like it, but I've yet to test it. Also, for some reason when it's winter my well just fucking breaks on my river, assumedly because the ice freezes, so are wells an underground only kinda deal, or what?

just put a floor over it

if you're in a place where the water freezes, find an underwater spout of water, it wont be affected by the surface temperature

sots

community bear
Nebulae

ive been living in an area where winter isnt cold enough to freeze the river, however it is *super* far from my settlement, so i managed to make an underground cistern that filled a little pool i made under my fort, and used a well from there, and since water doesnt freeze underground im pretty sure you can do the same.

make a nice tunnel under your fortress, channels to make a pool of whatever size you like, and floodgates with a lever. let the water run in, and close the floodgates before it starts flooding your fort

i'd post pics but i just closed the game sadge

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
How realistic are the water physics in this, or can I pull a minecraft? As in, can I build a channel downwards from a damp spot to a pit in the floor and then have a spot where it comes out below the floor line that I can connect it up with a well, or will it eventually push upwards a level?

I made a helpful diagram to explain my terrible explanation:
pure_art.png

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
How realistic are the water physics in this, or can I pull a minecraft? As in, can I build a channel downwards from a damp spot to a pit in the floor and then have a spot where it comes out below the floor line that I can connect it up with a well, or will it eventually push upwards a level?

I made a helpful diagram to explain my terrible explanation:
pure_art.png

water pressure exists, the water will rise up

use diagonals to reset the water pressure

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
wdym use diagonals?

water passes through diagonal gaps but the water pressure value resets
note that water only moves straight up or straight down, so you cant have it move diagonally up or down a z level

▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
>>>>>>>>>>> ▒ > > >
4Z Pressure ▒ 1Z Pressure
>>>>>>>>>>> ▒ > > >

but you can put a small dam with diagonal gaps to reset the speed the water moves at

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
water passes through diagonal gaps but the water pressure value resets
note that water only moves straight up or straight down, so you cant have it move diagonally up or down a z level

>>>>>>>>>>> ▒ > > >
4Z Pressure ▒ 1Z Pressure
>>>>>>>>>>> ▒ > > >

but you can put a small dam with diagonal gaps to reset the speed the water moves at
So would my diagram work if the square under the well was diagonal from the channel?

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Is anyone else experiencing their FPS slowly go down the longer your fortress goes on for? I have a feeling it's the food or wood, as I have like a thousand food (mostly fruit/veg harvested from the surrounding area) and I have no idea how to limit the amount of food they gather, like we're twenty fucking dwarves, we don't need enough food to last us a year

edit: I also have my sneaking suspicion that it could be the fucking fisher dwarf polluting the world with shells

Edit edit: A fucking dwarf somehow got stuck up in a tree, and I have no idea how he managed it

Last edited:

sots

community bear
Nebulae
Is anyone else experiencing their FPS slowly go down the longer your fortress goes on for? I have a feeling it's the food or wood, as I have like a thousand food (mostly fruit/veg harvested from the surrounding area) and I have no idea how to limit the amount of food they gather, like we're twenty fucking dwarves, we don't need enough food to last us a year

edit: I also have my sneaking suspicion that it could be the fucking fisher dwarf polluting the world with shells

Edit edit: A fucking dwarf somehow got stuck up in a tree, and I have no idea how he managed it
mine is laggier on floors with more dorfs, so like when i scroll down to the mines when theyre empty its pretty fine, but living floors are kinda laggy

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Making the moat went perfectly fine, and I breached the river into it and everything was well until some dumb urist decided to go for a swim for some reason completely beyond my ability to reason

sots

community bear
Nebulae
AwwtazJ.png

hey so it turns out my millitia commander has been in a state of constant internal rage because he got caught in the rain 6 years ago

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
AwwtazJ.png

hey so it turns out my millitia commander has been in a state of constant internal rage because he got caught in the rain 6 years ago
Literally got a khornate berzerker as the leader of your army

Better than that one dumb dwarf I had who got stuck in a tree and went raving mad by the time I found him

sots

community bear
Nebulae
NjcbBF2.png

faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens. steel yourself dorfs.

Ki4sUi8.png

tEhmoQZ.png
Nj09Luv.png

zeEH3bL.png

EOnkWzB.png

Last edited:

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Anyone know if there's a way to set how many squares the screen moves when using wasd? I keep finding it frustrating when trying to maneuver my camera to see stuff

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Anyone know if there's a way to set how many squares the screen moves when using wasd? I keep finding it frustrating when trying to maneuver my camera to see stuff

hold middle click and drag and it'll be 1 square at a time