Dwarf Fortress: Seagull noises edition.

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I just wish they'd add a sorting feature to the squad hiring menu. It'd be nice to just get people with relevant skills at the top, so I don't have to scroll and find who is the best at something

i always wanted to check it out even when it was all text but it always looked confusing as shit

is it actually difficult to get in to or do you get used to it
Both. The game has a learning curve and you'll learn by making mistakes or watching a couple tutorials and then still make mistakes and learn from them, but holy shit is it rewarding and addictive when you finally figure out how something works and you actually succeed.

Reactions: List

sots

community bear
Nebulae
i always wanted to check it out even when it was all text but it always looked confusing as shit

is it actually difficult to get in to or do you get used to it
id put it about on par with rimworld

once you get all the essentials of your fort running like a millitary, food, drink, your fort can pretty much run itself, at which point you start doing what yOU want to do, like building a fight pit to force gobbos to beat each other to death and going to war with e*ves

it also has the added advantage of not doing what rimworld does, which is tying difficulty directly to your colonys wealth, it really doesnt punish you for doing well. things just happen because they happen

also you got a forum of currently addicted gamers to help u out if u need so :)

Last edited:

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
at which point you start doing what yOU want to do, like building a fight pit to force gobbos to beat each other to death

I also think unlike Rimworld, part of the fun of DF is when shit goes absolutely wrong. Digging too deep, for example, or dwarves losing their shit and murdering eachother.

The world generation is so fantastic too that going back into your worlds in Adventure Mode in the aftermath and exploring what you've built is just as good.

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I also think unlike Rimworld, part of the fun of DF is when shit goes absolutely wrong. Digging too deep, for example, or dwarves losing their shit and murdering eachother.

The world generation is so fantastic too that going back into your worlds in Adventure Mode in the aftermath and exploring what you've built is just as good.
losing_is_fun.png

Pict

Scottish Highlander
Nebulae
Waiting for the Engrave all slabs button because oh god the micromanagement when you have a lot of dead dwarves, gets tedious.

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Waiting for the Engrave all slabs button because oh god the micromanagement when you have a lot of dead dwarves, gets tedious.
Honestly I want to know why I can make graves for random animals, it really fucking clogs up that menu

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
A giant appeared and a visiting necromancer overlord who'd just left the tavern and was outside at the time just was like "oh hell no" and resurrected a bunch of goblin corpses that'd been left outside after the last seige and the ghouls ganged the giant and killed it, incredibly based necromancer

Mic15000

The Underdog
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
So let's just say my dwarves have had a bit too much to drink... So a drunk /someone/ murdered the pet ROOSTER in the temple which caused a chain reaction brawl of drunken dwarves, human, elfs, and goblins to kick the shit out of each other.

Welcome to fight club. I love this game

image.png

image.png

Mic15000

The Underdog
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
So let's just say my dwarves have had a bit too much to drink... So a drunk /someone/ murdered the pet ROOSTER in the temple which caused a chain reaction brawl of drunken dwarves, human, elfs, and goblins to kick the shit out of each other.

Welcome to fight club. I love this game

image.png

image.png
Update:

It escalated to a full on riot, so I sent in the guards...

image.png

Mic15000

The Underdog
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I present you with the biggest giga chad in my fortress. A mercenary dwarf who killed Three forgotten beast and kept agro on one for the whole fight.

He fought a tentacle-ridden giant beast dodging tentacle after tentacle, he was pushed against the wall of the cavern as the only weapon he had was pushed away from him (His iron spear) so he used his iron shield to break the beast wings and tentancles. With the aid of some dwarves reinforcement, he kept the beast attention with his shield and might, until he finally bashed the skull of the forgotten beast with his shield fracturing it causing webs to go all around him. He did all this with basically no armor cause he simply refuses to wear my steel armor.

image.png

image.png

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Was browsing the steam workshop hoping to find a mod that improved the search for a location function when you're looking for a place to embark to (it doesn't have a filter for if you want fucking trees???) and I found this, some of y'all are real abhumans I swear;

sots

community bear
Nebulae
IIMFfSC.png

my baron has caged elkbirds in his office now lol

Pict

Scottish Highlander
Nebulae
image.png

image.png

Got myself a Moat fortress and had a close call with another werebeast, for whatever reason it decided to chill out at our tavern and not injure anyone just listening to our kobs story

Mute

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
started playing yesterday

after finally getting a grasp of some of the basics a pack of giant boars showed up out of nowhere and slaughtered everyone

how do i make better fighters

also @Pict how are u playin as kobolds

sots

community bear
Nebulae
started playing yesterday

after finally getting a grasp of some of the basics a pack of giant boars showed up out of nowhere and slaughtered everyone

how do i make better fighters

also @Pict how are u playin as kobolds
iJZ6L1P.png

go to nobility, assign a millitia commander. ideally someone with good leadership skill who isnt your expedition leader

DgQ8MLJ.png

once thats done click this little guy in the bottom right, and click create a new squad

i deleted all of the default uniforms by accident so i had to make my own which i kinda recommend tbh, except for archer, because theres a bug where dorfs wont pick up bolts when you make your own archer uniform so now i cant use crossbow dorfs

i think having about 20% of your population as millitary is usually safe enough, so if you have 10 dorfs, assign two to millitary

RuoZyWm.png
WX3SkB0.png

click the little box next to the squad then click equip

1W4CePq.png

add a uniform and you can start making their uniform

VoXJlDE.png

this is my usual set up thats worked for me, without specifying the material they'll usually use the highest grade material available with priority to the earliest people in the squad. so if you have 10 dorfs, the first 1-3 will pick out the best stuff (i think?)

generally the helmet, shield and breastplate seem to be the most important pieces, for when you start forging armour, but its no issue if you dont have all the armour pieces, they'll equip when stuff is made

jOP5ZSp.png

make sure it says this at the bottom left, or theyll bug out and start refusing to wear their iron boots because theyre already wearing socks, and that just doesnt make sense to them in their tiny dorf brains

ge7idW5.png

name it, click assign uniform, then click on your uniform and they should start using that uniform. make sure it's right, because you cant edit uniforms right now so if you fuck up you have to make the whOLE thing again (pain in my ass)

WKpimcU.png

you need an area for them to train, ideally near your armour/weapon stockpile and near the entrance to your fort, and the entrance to your mines so that they can get to combat quickly, so assign a square like this as a barrack

Uk1rKNR.png

click this button

sxchTBF.png

click the axe on the squad you want to use the training area, and theyll start using it to train

i also made a barrack area for my guys to sleep and store equipment in but they dont seem to use it so im not sure how necessary that is

LPD81l2.png
Rbj5wZR.png

you can assign a schedule for them to train on, i like to use constant training when i have enough dwarfs in my fortress to have a dedicated millitary, where i dont need them doing other jobs for things to run properly, and use staggered training in the meantime

hjZ53WI.png

you can click view monthly schedule to fuck around with any of the training orders, like staggered training, so that you can tell them which months to train on. i like to do an "on-off-on-off" routine for the staggered training like this

After a year or two you should start seeing some really good weapon skills on your dorfs, which in conjunction with some good equipment like steel/iron, you can be pretty confident about them fighting almost anything. certainly gobbos, humies and troglodytes will be a problem of the past at least

also as a headsup, each weapon/metal has their own uses

Axes are really good against unarmoured/stunned enemies and are super lethal
Hammers are great against armoured opponents and have a good chance to knock people out/force them unconscious from sheer pain, which lets your axe dorfs finish them off
Spears are really good against HUGE enemies, that axes cant chop through, and wont give in to pain. so cyclopses, funky creatures from the caves, etc. they're really good for

Steel > Iron/Bronze > Anything else, generally speaking, except in the case of blunt weapons like hammers and maces. Blunt weapons get their damage from weight, so silver is best in that case

okie sorry if anything is confusing byebye

sots

community bear
Nebulae
dpAgPfv.png

guys a furry just arrived at my fort how should i kill it, im leaning on putting him in the fight pit with a troll

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
image.png

image.png

Got myself a Moat fortress and had a close call with another werebeast, for whatever reason it decided to chill out at our tavern and not injure anyone just listening to our kobs story
Annoyingly, I did something similar to this and found that some creatures (goblins) can swim, so uh, build a tall wall around your moat. I've decided to restart and go for an option that involves drowning intruders instead.

Pict

Scottish Highlander
Nebulae
Annoyingly, I did something similar to this and found that some creatures (goblins) can swim, so uh, build a tall wall around your moat. I've decided to restart and go for an option that involves drowning intruders instead.
Ye I figured some would (werebeasts absolutely) also figuring out how to set up guard towers so my kobolds can shoot their crossbows over the moat on idle intruders.