gta rp

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
can't wait for all the e-sex male fiends who exclusively play fem chars or self-insert chad-esque characters to get relentlessly clowned when people hear what they actually sound like

vtipoman

Electron
Nebulae
I can see voice RP having the potential to be serious and high quality, but you have to agree it does limit what kind of characters you can play without it sounding stupid. + it makes voice acting a whole another thing to worry about and skill to learn in order to be a "good" roleplayer

I wouldn't mind seriousRP in text with explicit exceptions for things like shootouts, police raids and the like, though. (if the server doesn't RP these things out in text)

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
but you have to agree it does limit what kind of characters you can play without it sounding stupid. + it makes voice acting a whole another thing to worry about and skill to learn in order to be a "good" roleplayer
I don’t agree, no. Those are the things that make characters unique and more fun.
I wouldn't mind seriousRP in text with explicit exceptions for things like shootouts, police raids and the like, though. (if the server doesn't RP these things out in text)
We will never do this.

cns - he/him/his

The Winner
Nebulae
there's no one right way to do it and this community would be especially pro text rp since gmod has no serious voice servers
personally i would just fuck around on voice servers i only take like small TTRPG voice shit seriously

Reactions: List

vtipoman

Electron
Nebulae
I don’t agree, no. Those are the things that make characters unique and more fun.
On a less serious server and/or when not straying too far away from who you are in real life, sure, I agree. But the further away you go, the harder it gets to pull it off in a serious setting. + if you're not good enough and you play multiple characters, I'd argue it does the opposite.

We will never do this.
yep, it's not my server.

TinPan

Needs to blow his nose
Nebulae
Voice and text both have their downsides and advantages; it’s all just dependent on the experience being offered.

If it’s a more casual experience being offered, then sure; voice is a great thing to have around, especially in instances of streamers who 9/10 play casually when it comes to GTA5RP. It can be a fun time, especially if the players adopt funny characters that become recognisable from their voice alone.

If it’s intended to be a more realistic experience though where voices would hinder the immersion of everyone involved, then I’d say text is the better way to go if you don’t wanna hear 1 in every 3 police officers & gangbangers sounding like they’re from Eastern Europe.

It’s all just dependent on the experience being offered, and I myself have had great times before on voice servers that are offering a casual experience to its players; I just prefer text over voice for the immersive qualities that it provides, not to mention how the majority of people seemingly don’t have good-quality microphones to make voice roleplay enjoyable.

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
Voice and text both have their downsides and advantages; it’s all just dependent on the experience being offered.

If it’s a more casual experience being offered, then sure; voice is a great thing to have around, especially in instances of streamers who 9/10 play casually when it comes to GTA5RP. It can be a fun time, especially if the players adopt funny characters that become recognisable from their voice alone.

If it’s intended to be a more realistic experience though where voices would hinder the immersion of everyone involved, then I’d say text is the better way to go if you don’t wanna hear 1 in every 3 police officers & gangbangers sounding like they’re from Eastern Europe.

It’s all just dependent on the experience being offered, and I myself have had great times before on voice servers that are offering a casual experience to its players; I just prefer text over voice for the immersive qualities that it provides, not to mention how the majority of people seemingly don’t have good-quality microphones to make voice roleplay enjoyable.
I think the general view of voice rp within nebulous is not representative of a majority view or the reality of how it works; most seem to think quickly of Dark RP or GTA Online which is extremely different.

If a text rp server needs to use Discord or any voice platform to facilitate in car chases or police communication then I fail to see how anyone can argue that text rp is superior; that in itself acknowledges it doesn't work very well.

We've done text rp in GMod for a long time, I don't see us wanting to create text rp in anything ever again. I know what you're getting at but I disagree with it fully, feels very much like a form of roleplay purism or traditionalist.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I like text based stuff because its easier to play a character that isn't me - I don't have to work around my own voice, mannerisms or problems like my stammer.

But it isn't like HL2RP is closing either and I'm fairly sure @alex has said publicly that even when it does eventually go down the box can probably be used for text-based stuff like Alplands and other smaller scale things. Hell, I can imagine a lot could happen if this multi-month-long event series works out well for HL2RP. HL2RP doesn't just have to be CityRP anymore and if the gloves are off then who knows where the setting can go?

Its also perfectly fine that frankly gmod is on the out and other avenues should be explored. VoiceRP may not be my "thing" but I'm still going to play it and have fun - and its something the HS are passionate about making. That's cool.

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
I don't have to work around my own voice, mannerisms or problems like my stammer.
This is true but it's also what differentiates you from others. Where you see it maybe as a hinderance, I see as something that makes you unique whereas text rp very easily becomes quite literally identical characters.
[doublepost=1630344021][/doublepost]A better way of saying what I mean is, the imperfections of people make for far better interactions and characters than what text roleplay offers because there's typing involved and so imperfections are intentional rather than accidental.

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Let me just stop the car mid chase to reply to the passenger talking to me real quick
Funny enough they allowed voice chat but only for cops during chases not the criminals which is completely fair. Basically every situation ended with an argument in ooc. Those same people wouldn't dare join a voice rp where waiting 10 minutes mid conversation to think of a funny gotcha line is weird

I prefer cop because you have a guaranteed structure and the ground work is pretty much already done for you over criminal where it's all pretty much left to chance and whatever psycho wants to start beef with your boys. Both are good though

Although if you let us buy busses I play a mean meth addict city bus driver

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
It makes sense to allow but it's also an admission that text doesn't fully work in the environment.
there's upsides and downsides to text but ultimately it just doesn't land as well as voice for gta rp. there's already a community out there that lands hundreds of people in-game every day but some people here'll still die on a hill for text rp gta like there's not already a place for them to do it. a lot of the people you see arguing for it don't really provide anything constructive other than 'text rp good, voice is bad'. those same people are the first to call someone elses character ideas cringe and post pictures of people they don't like in their illegal groups discord

I can see voice RP having the potential to be serious and high quality, but you have to agree it does limit what kind of characters you can play without it sounding stupid. + it makes voice acting a whole another thing to worry about and skill to learn in order to be a "good" roleplayer
it might be a lot to ask of people but if you're not a dickhead to each other then it doesn't matter what you sound like. it seems to work pretty well in the tabletop rpg community, don't see why that has to change here