Half-Life: Alyx Official Thread

welcome to the Retirement

Narrative/Lore Manager
Nebulae
btw there's an out of bounds easter egg of a pre-war eyesight correction procedure ad on one of the walls

the poster seems to feature gman's eyes.

spooky shit

20200305022039_1.jpg

[doublepost=1583366523][/doublepost]
what does the vodka label say
golden lion

first class vodka
43% alcohol

Reactions: List

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
May sound cheesy but seeing C17 in such beautiful detail properly for the first time in over a decade was honestly amazing.

The Citadel, hearing Striders, watching a Hunter Chopper fly over - felt like I was slipping back into playing the original games again. It still feels like Half-Life.

Narrative/Lore Manager
Nebulae
fun fact

in hl2 all signs were in gibberish cyrillic, keeping the location of c17 vague.

that's not the case here.

while some pre-war items are labeled in russian, the absolute majority of signs and objects are actually labeled in BULGARIAN, of all things
(including the vodka).

hot tip - viktor antonov is bulgarian and intended final c17 to be a callback to his youth, but the story team decided to keep things vague for the release version.
looks like they changed their mind.

a bit of an uh-oh moment for lore people

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Wonder if we'll have a 'boss battle' against a Strider or Chopper, honestly.

Dallas

event guy
Nebulae
fun fact

in hl2 all signs were in gibberish cyrillic, keeping the location of c17 vague.

that's not the case here.

while some pre-war items are labeled in russian, the absolute majority of signs and objects are actually labeled in BULGARIAN, of all things
(including the vodka).

hot tip - viktor antonov is bulgarian and intended final c17 to be a callback to his youth, but the story team decided to keep things vague for the release version.
looks like they changed their mind.

a bit of an uh-oh moment for lore people

city 17 is Sofia, confirmed

Narrative/Lore Manager
Nebulae
another interesting thing is that despite seeing civil protection as we know them in merch (pins) and promo art, we actually don't have any footage of them in game what so ever

plus we see Civil Protection APCs standing right where the OTA are shown in the trailer
and we hear CP biosignal sounds upon killing OTA

could it be that these early oats -are- the Civil Protection?

or that the combine haven't dabbled in human modification yet and don't have a distinct separation between their police force and military yet and just use unmodified humans everywhere?

unknown.png

perhaps what we assumed to be early combine soldiers are actually civil protection officers?

Dallas

event guy
Nebulae
another interesting thing is that despite seeing civil protection as we know them in merch (pins) and promo art, we actually don't have any footage of their models what so ever

plus we see Civil Protection APCs standing right where the OTA are shown in the trailer

or that the combine haven't dabbled in human modification yet and don't have a distinct separation between their police force and military yet and just use unmodified humans everywhere?

unknown.png

perhaps what we assumed to be early combine soldiers are actually civil protection officers?
one in the same, i would guess

Goret

Quark
Nebulae
Okay guys, time to be spooky.

You walk in C17. You hear this:

Step after step, you hear something else:

And then...

What do you do? Please provide two paragraphs for each /me's.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
one in the same, i would guess
I think someone pointed out that they actually have fully rendered Cops (up-scaled with very few changes) as seen in one of the Alyx videos where you get a glimpse at the inside of an APC and they're seen driving it.

So I'm not sure we won't see cops at all, I just doubt they'll be a majority.

I think they're a little too iconic to not feature.

Dallas

event guy
Nebulae
I think someone pointed out that they actually have fully rendered Cops (up-scaled with very few changes) as seen in one of the Alyx videos where you get a glimpse at the inside of an APC and they're seen driving it.

So I'm not sure we won't see cops at all, I just doubt they'll be a majority.

I think they're a little too iconic to not feature.
very likely to see more traditional looking ota elite dudes towards the end of the game, just like in hl2

PilotBland

community antagonizer
Nebulae
ye same only reason im not 100% sold is this:

_sdQuhDpsRIpGleP_6ElEiRpY53cHrUPh4XTKCJ6MD_8fIhjMMIh0fmJquZxtKJyDh9H-iW90EQoofNMGvwbnp_h34DBspQIB45QNIHOjjYp2C1mBcqHLT-Uzt6T6Gn960U1W7FOQTOo2qS47K_CdcjJajF1aiBwQuY5n0nJLSQ

you can see both normal cops and oats side by side so hmmmmm

plus if the cops don't exist in half life alyx then why put their helmets in as merch and not the soldier?

unknown.png

Their batons look so crude

month after post-war event, cops aren’t given stun batons but lead pipes

Tinbe

Molecule
Nebulae
another interesting thing is that despite seeing civil protection as we know them in merch (pins) and promo art, we actually don't have any footage of them in game what so ever

unknown.png

I reckon they are separate entities, but nearly as divided in terms of "humanity". This is way earlier into occupation after all, so transhumans are probably hella less modified than in the likes of oatmen seen in HL2 at 202X.

Narrative/Lore Manager
Nebulae
very likely to see more traditional looking ota elite dudes towards the end of the game, just like in hl2
the heavy dudes /do/ look a lot like trad hl2 oats so maybe maybe

unknown.png

[doublepost=1583368074][/doublepost]
I reckon they are separate entities, but nearly as divided in terms of "humanity". This is way earlier into occupation after all, so transhumans are probably hella less modified than in the likes of oatmen seen in HL2 at 202X.
the game takes place in 2014 and alyx is on the run from the combine after finding out what does the fox say

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I've actually just realised that this sort of proves another point semi-right that we've always sorta taken as gospel.

It was always hinted that when the Citadel gets fucked up and stops 'thumping' (and powering the rest of the network) at the end of HL2/start of Ep1 that's how the Antlions get into the city. Well right now the Citadel is a WIP, and there's quite clearly Antlions inside the city.