History Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 1381
  • Start date

Dr Heckyll

Molecule
Nebulae
Bh2G2YfIgAACSlm.jpg
tfw you will never have the Stasi shift your furniture around behind your back when you're not looking

Knight

`impulse-approved
B A N N E D
Nebulae
what do you learn about in your history classes
Pretty much it's just

• American revolution
  • Manifest destiny to the Western coast
  • Civil War
  • War of 1812
  • Mexican-American war
  • Industrial revolution
  • WW1 and 2
  • Vietnam (we leave korea out of most history classes i have no clue why)
  • cold war
  • modern day

there are a few smaller things but thats literally just the big things youre taught in american history

D

Deleted member 1381

Pretty much it's just

• American revolution
  • Civil War
  • War of 1812
  • Mexican-American war
  • Industrial revolution
  • WW1 and 2
  • cold war
  • modern day

there are a few smaller things but thats literally just the big things youre taught in american history
it varies over here but typically its way better. funnily enough we learn hardly fuck all about our own country, i did
  • america 1920-75 including the boom, wall street crash, prohibition, korea and vietnam, watergate
  • medicine c.300-present day. learning about how john hunter gave himself syphilis and gonorrhoea along with how battlefield surgeons poured boiling oil into open wounds was very nice
  • elizabethan england

at least you learn about WW1&2, that's always a saving grace

Reactions: List

ddæ

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
Pretty much it's just

• American revolution
  • Civil War
  • War of 1812
  • Mexican-American war
  • Industrial revolution
  • WW1 and 2
  • cold war
  • modern day

you're shitting on a heavenly set of courses there when the homie over here got

henry viii and his ministers, 1509-1540
whitechapel (no not the murders, literally about the smog and how shit it was to live there, as well as why everyone hated jews and cops)
british america, 1713-1783 (we skip the war of independence and go straight to the consequences)
weimar and nazi germany, 1918-1939

weimar to nazi germany is by far the most interesting thing i have done in 3 years
but i'm not done yet

we could've done the history of medicine, the cold war and the american wild west, or russia, 1917-1945 - but no, we got conned into learning about smog and 4 guys all called thomas

epic

Last edited:

mårten

Atom
Nebulae
i've always disliked history class in school because they usually scim over some really fucking important things and it usually revolves around "oh hey looik greece oh heyy look rome oh heyy look medieval oh look sweden empire and now its ww2 next year it's american slavery and how horrible white people are"

my history teacher barely knew what the fucking holy roman empire was

Zarail

Atom
Nebulae
I have an interest in WW1, WW2 and the Cold War unsurprisingly.

As a child I used to love studying about the era of the Swedish Empire, especially some of the battles and the monarchy (fuck you Karl XII, you blew it). I think my favourite part about it was probably the time Karl X Gustav invaded some of Denmark's islands... by marching over Little Belt and Great Belt. (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_Across_the_Belts)

D

Deleted member 1381

117128_half.jpg

bd08fdeece12ebde4c90e447b2d815ff.jpg

f1839019da17e2e94f2521e34dad6f07--british-army-northern-ireland.jpg

The Troubles and the Falklands Conflict are also a riveting period of history that holds a place in my heart, no doubt stemming from the fact that I'm British and I support my country. It's a shame really that high school students aren't taught anything about the Falklands or the conflict in NI, it doesn't even coincide with anything that's taught in the first place.

even if you hate the uk you can't deny they had some of the best uniforms from 60-90

ddæ

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
117128_half.jpg

bd08fdeece12ebde4c90e447b2d815ff.jpg

f1839019da17e2e94f2521e34dad6f07--british-army-northern-ireland.jpg

The Troubles and the Falklands Conflict are also a riveting period of history that holds a place in my heart, no doubt stemming from the fact that I'm British and I support my country. It's a shame really that high school students aren't taught anything about the Falklands or the conflict in NI, it doesn't even coincide with anything that's taught in the first place.

even if you hate the uk you can't deny they had some of the best uniforms from 60-90
because then u get edgy people going 'heh........ fuck the crown.....' when the ira bombed 5 year old spanish kids, killed an raf officer and his 6 month old daughter in west germany, among other events

Knight

`impulse-approved
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Right now I'm taking an AP World History class which is actually a college course which can save me a lot of money later down the line.

It's less history and more writing, it's very hard but I'm having a lot of fun in it. Right now we're going over ancient civilizations and slowly getting into Rome.

563ce6eb281ec4ecd83f24c4b6f26284.png

e46c0017007112fb3eacbaaca555c959.png

a1ea0fb5d77387963047d5f58a5aeb1b.png

Some screenshots of a powerpoint I'm supposed to do notes on, there are about 8 other slides with the same amount of content to get down. We have a test every 1-2 weeks with each test having about 60-80 questions going pretty thoroughly over this.

mårten

Atom
Nebulae
give us a story bro
of how she didn't know? i basically just asked her why we never got to hear about it and she replied that she wasn't quite sure what it was

i think that's p shameful because it was quite relevant for about 900 years of european history yknow
[doublepost=1538263733][/doublepost]
Right now I'm taking an AP World History class which is actually a college course which can save me a lot of money later down the line.

It's less history and more writing, it's very hard but I'm having a lot of fun in it. Right now we're going over ancient civilizations and slowly getting into Rome.

563ce6eb281ec4ecd83f24c4b6f26284.png
wold love me some books about ancient china tbh[/spoiler]

Knight

`impulse-approved
B A N N E D
Nebulae
wold love me some books about ancient china tbh
ancient china was a pretty shit place especially where they practiced legalism and caned people regularly over pointless things

i had fun learning about ancient india though

497531b032e3684cd558165c18d48838.png

mårten

Atom
Nebulae
ancient china was a pretty shit place especially where they practiced legalism and caned people regularly over pointless things
well yea chinese people have been pretty good at killing eachother through all known time but that's what makes it interesting

D

Deleted member 1381

because then u get edgy people going 'heh........ fuck the crown.....' when the ira bombed 5 year old spanish kids, killed an raf officer and his 6 month old daughter in west germany, among other events
my dad is from ni and lived there during the troubles so he often tells me stories about some individual events specific to him. he told me that when he was 17 his school got stormed by police who were fairly aggressive to him and some others, but he ended up getting no sentence at magistrate because he was accused mistakenly. couple of weeks later he got offered by the ira to 'get some payback'(dont think it was payback specifically, but it was along those lines).

my grandad lived there as well and apparently he got asked whether he was catholic or protestant in a pub at gunpoint and told him its none of his business so way to go stan

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
we didn't do ww2 because they deemed ww1 to be more important

???

i mean i get that ww1 displays a lot of tendency in where the world was headed and that it was the first example of continental warfare in europe with modern strategy but uh sweetie ww2 literally laid the foundation for modern society