History Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 1381
  • Start date

Knight

`impulse-approved
B A N N E D
Nebulae
I'm taking a law class right now and the first semester is pretty much just the history of crime in America which is actually really cool. The 50s-90s in terms of crime are very interesting to learn about, it's a pretty easy class with a cool teacher that I play Rainbow Six Siege with on Xbox along with a few of my friends.

It's and easy class like I said but it's very fun and interesting to learn about a lot of what went on in America during the twentieth century. We've touched a bit on the IRA as well.

Reactions: List

ddæ

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
we didn't do ww2 because they deemed ww1 to be more important

???

i mean i get that ww1 displays a lot of tendency in where the world was headed but uh sweetie ww2 literally laid the foundation for modern society
idk about you danes but ww1 is focused on more here because it leads on to the course of hitler's rise to power, and ww2 would be done if we had a course on the cold war, but we don't so its non-existent.

the closest we come to the sense of the cold war in my school is germany, united, divided, reunited 1890-1990

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
idk about you danes but ww1 is focused on more here because it leads on to the course of hitler's rise to power, and ww2 would be done if we had a course on the cold war, but we don't so its non-existent.

the closest we come to the sense of the cold war in my school is germany, united, divided, reuinted 1890-1990
yes but you can quickly recap how the rise to power happened when talking about ww2 instead of going over the entire of ww1

D

Deleted member 1381

the closest we come to the sense of the cold war in my school is germany, united, divided, reunited 1890-1990
yea instead learn about some fatty with tree trunk legs who exploded in his coffin after having 6 wives

ddæ

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
yes but you can quickly recap how the rise to power happened when talking about ww2 instead of going over the entire of ww1
hey man if you did ww1 then you've already gotten more than what we get. my course starts at the kaiser's abdication.

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
hey man if you did ww1 then you've already gotten more than what we get. my course starts at the kaiser's abdication.
we did
  • development of europe during grug times
  • bronze, iron and dark ages
  • reformation
  • french revolution, bunch of philosophers of the time were included under this one so its a heavy one
  • the rape of africa/imperialism in general
  • ww1
  • cold war
  • cold war in denmark, footnote policy, fall of the iron curtain
  • mao zedong's china in the past and present
  • the war on terror (9/11, iraq, afghanistan etc)
last two involved extensive crossovers between our economics and social studies to form a project in the end which was pretty based and cool

we probably did more that i've forgotten but /shrug

D

Deleted member 1381

if you want kids to enjoy history and subsequently put effort into it you've got to teach them about events that actually moulded the society they live in today i.e WW1, WW2 and the cold war. my history class had some of the most anti-history people in existence who transformed into a lifeless cocoon of piss and wind once they sat down but learning about things like medical history interested them so they actually changed the rag on their faces and listened

ddæ

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
we did
  • development of europe during grug times
  • bronze, iron and dark ages
  • reformation
  • french revolution, bunch of philosophers of the time were included under this one so its a heavy one
  • the rape of africa/imperialism in general
  • ww1
  • cold war
  • cold war in denmark, footnote policy, fall of the iron curtain
  • mao zedong's china in the past and present
  • the war on terror (9/11, iraq, afghanistan etc)
last two involved extensive crossovers between our economics and social studies to form a project in the end which was pretty based and cool

we probably did more that i've forgotten but /shrug
lucky fucker

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
"the french revolution was so long ago, it doesnt have anything to do with society now"

t. - someone in my class at the time

ddæ

`impulse-approved
Nebulae

it's moments like this that really make me love history.
this is the west german bundestag attendees that, in an unscripted moment, broke into a rendition of the national anthem upon hearing that gdr citizens were free to travel to the west.

but by the same hand and on the same night, some gdr border guards felt betrayed - that what they honestly believed in and protected, some for over 20 years, had crumbled around them in a single letter read on national tv. it's interesting to me that two radically different opinions can happen on something; the fact that one group of people will break out into singing the national anthem, whereas others sit in wooden guard posts in the dead of night, angry and feeling like their government had turned their backs on them.

but in the end it didn't really matter on that night, as one guy (who was there) writes
There was no more government, neither in East nor in West. The police and the army were helpless. The soldiers themselves were overwhelmed by the event. They were part of the crowd. Their uniforms meant nothing. The Wall was down.
- https://andreas.com/berlin.html
if you take a step back to look at it, it really is insane that this was done by real people - these individuals existed, and had the power to erect a wall to split a nation in two for decades, but by the same hand destroyed it in one single night.

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
yeah but why should i learn about history bro i live in the NOW
b540098200.jpg

tera

Atom
Nebulae
back in my school, our history course in Malaysia didn't even cover ww1 and only about Japanese occupation during ww2.

not even a single word of Germany or Hitler was ever mentioned, making me think that Japan was the main axis enemy of ww2 lol.

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
back in my school, our history course in Malaysia didn't even cover ww1 and only about Japanese occupation during ww2.

not even a single word of Germany or Hitler was ever mentioned, making me think that Japan was the main axis enemy of ww2 lol.
well i mean considering that japan and nazi germany were allies of convenience and stuck to their separate theaters of war it would make sense why you didn't get to read into ww1 and the urop part of ww2

still, should've done a tl;dr version of both at least

D

Deleted member 930

t. "i've studied history for 2 weeks and think im deep"

now that we're discussing uniforms

where did everything go so RIGHT

=492079.501.jpg

Danske-Uniformer-fra-H%C3%A6r-og-Flaade-9.jpg

Danske-Uniformer-fra-H%C3%A6r-og-Flaade-4.jpg

Danske-Uniformer-fra-H%C3%A6r-og-Flaade-3.jpg

Danske-Uniformer-fra-H%C3%A6r-og-Flaade-6.jpg

e97627bba78038e168391653f66b670d.jpg

Grenaderer.jpg
I don't know why you always that hostile to me.