Nebulae
iglrpz68n8f31.jpg

Stereotypes from the 1800's

Reactions: List

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
b1964e6a7d.jpg

The crew of the sinking Japanese air craft Zuikaku salutes as the flag is lowered for the last time on October 25, 1944. The ship would sink with the loss of 843 men.​

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae

two dudes playing a 4000 year old game with the original rules recovered

never thought i would watch it but i actually ended up watching the full 25 minutes

Isuckatgaming

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae

never thought i would watch it but i actually ended up watching the full 25 minutes

it's a great video yeah

Irving got a lot of banter in him

Mancom37

Atom
Nebulae

I played this once over at my Uni with some dude that was surprised about me knowing what it was, he had to explain the rules again to me but tbh it was a cool time.

tera

Atom
Nebulae
24p956ie71g31.jpg

Attack of the Dead Men, Osowiec Fortress

The first world conflict gave rise to many horrifying battle tactics, including the use of poison gas. One of the most unsettling WWI fights was the battle at the Osowiec Fortress, where Germans fought what looked like real-life zombies. On August 6, 1915, the Germans released gas on Russian and Polish soldiers, effectively destroying their enemies' lungs and throats. Many soldiers expired from the devastating effects of the gas.

Yet somehow, a group of fighters managed to live through the initial strike and hold down the fortress. When the Germans reached the tower, they saw dozens of disfigured and bleeding combatants coming at them. "Attack of the Dead Men", as it was known, spawned legends about Russian soldiers rising from the grave to fight.

1920px-Osowiec_fortress_church.jpg

c0aff1bd6a1353c2b9356d5b9134991b.jpg

Over twelve battalions of the 11th Landwehr Division, making up more than 7000 men, advanced after the bombardment and expecting little resistance. They were met at the first defense line by a counter-charge made up of the surviving soldiers of the 13th Company of the 226th Infantry Regiment. The Germans became panicked by the appearance of the Russians, who were coughing up blood and bits of their own lungs, and the hydrochloric acid formed by the mix of the chlorine gas and the moisture in their lungs had begun to dissolve their flesh. The Germans retreated, running so fast they ran into their own traps. The five remaining Russian guns subsequently opened fire on the fleeing Germans.

This is truly more frightening than any Japanese banzai charges or Chinese human wave attacks, imo.

D

Deleted member 1381

channel 5 are airing ww2 documentaries every saturday in anticipation for the 80th year since the outbreak of war

cannot recommend them enough - all theatres are covered and the attention to detail is incredible

Mute

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
I have some pins that my great grandfather got serving as a yugoslav partisan during ww2 if you guys would be interested I could post them in the coming weeks

ddæ

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
image.jpg

“They were so disciplined, they just lay there totally still and I decided to myself they were soldiers. There was a helicopter circling overhead and I don’t know why they didn’t do something, radio to the police or soldiers to come up, because there were these two of their own soldiers.

I can still remember the atmosphere. When I came back in, you could feel it; I knew they were going to be shot. I remember saying to myself I am going to try and stop them doing that if I can.”

The two soldiers were driven less than 200 yards to a waste ground near Penny Lane. There they were taken out of the taxi and shot dead.
Corporal Wood was shot six times: twice in the head and four times in the chest. He had also been stabbed four times in the back of the neck. Howes was shot five times: once in the head and four times in the body.

“There was nobody else, there just the two bodies. I went up to the one on the right. He was still breathing so I tried to give him the kiss of life. Then, after a while, a man came in and stood behind me and said, ‘Look, Father, that man is dead’.

I anointed him and went over to anoint the man who was lying three yards away. Then two women came along with a coat and put it over his head and said, ‘he was somebody’s son’."

Two men were sentenced to life imprisonment for murder, but were released in 1998 under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement. Several other men received lesser sentences for their part in the corporals killings.​