Bronn

Atom
Nebulae
90944894_2967827196606722_9216395017101246464_o.jpg

Reactions: List

Clokr

Atom
Nebulae
Here’s a cool thing I just remembered about. It’s a story that may be a bit long but I still want to share it.

So a few months ago I was contacted by family since they knew I’m a reenactor and American Civil War buff. Saying they found out through records that I’m related to a fucking General who was shot and killed on the second day of the Battle of Gettysburg. They sent me his wiki page and I did some reading and such. And I thought this was pretty fucking epic.

Then about a week later I decided to actually drive down to Gettysburg since I wanted to buy a few things for the upcoming annual parade there, and also because I just wanted to walk the battlefield for nostalgia.

I stopped in one of the stores to look around, which is known for having legit, original things from the war. Including uniforms, firearms, personal belongings and such that have been traced back to the soldier by family. They even have things all the way from Waterloo up to Vietnam. I even found a picklehelb that was worn by a German soldier and a 8mm Lebel hole straight through it. With stained blood and all, hell even a Cossacks hat from Red October.

But anyway, as I walked in. I walked over to one of the cases, and what did I fucking find?
q8gzreh.jpg

YPmekM4.jpg

IXLkidp.jpg

wyc1hCS.jpg

I found the fucking boots belonging to my RELATIVE. General Samuel K. Zook, commander of the 57th New York. Who was shot and killed on the second day of battle. Following this I researched more information. And went to visit his monument in the Wheatfield. Where he was wounded and died.

OtLluvb.jpg

Even more impressive I found was the unit in which I reenact. The 61st NYVI. Was a unit that was merged WITH the 57th due to the 57th’s losses, having left only about 50 men left from their original 500 or so. But just for that day of battle. And following the battle, due to most of the men having been killed or missing. Every single survivor was either discharged, or pushed back into service with my own fucking unit. And the final thing is I remember reading further on Zook and iirc he was friends with Hancock. And Hancock was the final man he ever saw because they had a little dialogue moments before he was killed. Which went something like this, with Hancock saying “Sam, I’ll see to it that you get a medal for the actions of today.” With Zook replying, “By god, Scott. Forget the medal, see to it that my men life beyond this battle.” After he said that he rode off. Only to be killed moments later by a stray ball when leading his troops further into battle.

mårten

Atom
Nebulae
Here’s a cool thing I just remembered about. It’s a story that may be a bit long but I still want to share it.

So a few months ago I was contacted by family since they knew I’m a reenactor and American Civil War buff. Saying they found out through records that I’m related to a fucking General who was shot and killed on the second day of the Battle of Gettysburg. They sent me his wiki page and I did some reading and such. And I thought this was pretty fucking epic.

Then about a week later I decided to actually drive down to Gettysburg since I wanted to buy a few things for the upcoming annual parade there, and also because I just wanted to walk the battlefield for nostalgia.

I stopped in one of the stores to look around, which is known for having legit, original things from the war. Including uniforms, firearms, personal belongings and such that have been traced back to the soldier by family. They even have things all the way from Waterloo up to Vietnam. I even found a picklehelb that was worn by a German soldier and a 8mm Lebel hole straight through it. With stained blood and all, hell even a Cossacks hat from Red October.

But anyway, as I walked in. I walked over to one of the cases, and what did I fucking find?
q8gzreh.jpg

YPmekM4.jpg

IXLkidp.jpg

wyc1hCS.jpg

I found the fucking boots belonging to my RELATIVE. General Samuel K. Zook, commander of the 57th New York. Who was shot and killed on the second day of battle. Following this I researched more information. And went to visit his monument in the Wheatfield. Where he was wounded and died.

OtLluvb.jpg

Even more impressive I found was the unit in which I reenact. The 61st NYVI. Was a unit that was merged WITH the 57th due to the 57th’s losses, having left only about 50 men left from their original 500 or so. But just for that day of battle. And following the battle, due to most of the men having been killed or missing. Every single survivor was either discharged, or pushed back into service with my own fucking unit. And the final thing is I remember reading further on Zook and iirc he was friends with Hancock. And Hancock was the final man he ever saw because they had a little dialogue moments before he was killed. Which went something like this, with Hancock saying “Sam, I’ll see to it that you get a medal for the actions of today.” With Zook replying, “By god, Scott. Forget the medal, see to it that my men life beyond this battle.” After he said that he rode off. Only to be killed moments later by a stray ball when leading his troops further into battle.
helloyes i found my great grandfathers wooden shoe what do i get

Deleted member 3713

My dick way too small to have y’all on it.
Nebulae

Jordanian Circassian / Chechen Royal Guard
in-this-monday-jan-11-2016-photo-circassian-guards-1454052467350.jpg

Ever since the modern establishment of the Heshemite Kingdom of Jordan, of which erupted into existence after losing Mecca to the early Saudi Dynasty and the end of the Ottoman rule in the middle east following World War one, these guards have come from mainly displaced peoples of the caucuses. This is due to a variety of events such as the Russian Civil War, Soviet movement of peoples, and more recently the Chechen insurgency. Their religious adherence was ignored, many of them being Christians themselves and were accepted by the royal family as actual trained guards, much like those as Buckingham palace. So long as they are loyal, they have a certain respect from the local Jordanian Arab community.

APTOPIX-Mideast-Jorda_Horo-1-e1454136718924.jpg

The numbers of these guards had dramatically increased following the 1990's and early 2000's conflict in Chechnya, some suspected to have been past fighters but this has been over looked so long as they have loyalty to the Heshemite Kingdom and their family.

Some photos

BoLN9a1IYAA2snk.jpg

Queen Rania of Jordan with her guards at a ceremonial public appearance.

ocfjrh3chxq31.jpg

e7bcc3e395c210fbbf8ce464196bb1bc.jpg

1941 appearance of the guards

mårten

Atom
Nebulae

Jordanian Circassian / Chechen Royal Guard
in-this-monday-jan-11-2016-photo-circassian-guards-1454052467350.jpg

Ever since the modern establishment of the Heshemite Kingdom of Jordan, of which erupted into existence after losing Mecca to the early Saudi Dynasty and the end of the Ottoman rule in the middle east following World War one, these guards have come from mainly displaced peoples of the caucuses. This is due to a variety of events such as the Russian Civil War, Soviet movement of peoples, and more recently the Chechen insurgency. Their religious adherence was ignored, many of them being Christians themselves and were accepted by the royal family as actual trained guards, much like those as Buckingham palace. So long as they are loyal, they have a certain respect from the local Jordanian Arab community.

APTOPIX-Mideast-Jorda_Horo-1-e1454136718924.jpg

The numbers of these guards had dramatically increased following the 1990's and early 2000's conflict in Chechnya, some suspected to have been past fighters but this has been over looked so long as they have loyalty to the Heshemite Kingdom and their family.

Some photos

BoLN9a1IYAA2snk.jpg

Queen Rania of Jordan with her guards at a ceremonial public appearance.

ocfjrh3chxq31.jpg

e7bcc3e395c210fbbf8ce464196bb1bc.jpg

1941 appearance of the guards

These things make me wonder how someone from Chechnya even got the idea to try and become a bodyguard in Jordan?? Kinda reminds me of the Varangian guard of the Byzantine emperor, when Swedish vikings would travel south-east down to Byzantine and get employed there.

D

Deleted member 930

B28tyk1

Chiang Wei-kuo (1916-1997)

He was a adopted son of the former leader of Nationalist-China Chiang-Kai-shek. He was trained in Germany as Mountaineer and received the rank of "Fahnenjunker" in the German Wehrmacht. He was part of Anschluss of Austria as a Tank Commander and almost particapted in Invasion of Poland but received the order to go to the US.​

Last edited by a moderator:

tera

Atom
Nebulae

3w6de9.jpg

Regarding the massacres, one historian notes "While much research is needed to confirm the extent and nature of Korean atrocities in Vietnam, the ROK reputation for ferocity is well established and reported consistently by Korean, Vietnamese and American sources" whom the reputation for ferocity is explained by the "brutality of South Korean forces in Vietnam".[38]

Deleted member 3713

Nebulae
(Song of Arab nationalism)

1200px-Flag_of_the_Arab_League.svg.png

Pictures of the decolonization of the Middle East

Syria 1946
DeirEzZor1946CelebratingIndependence.jpg

1940s_aleppo.jpg

Bahrain 1971
220px-National_Union_Committee_of_Bahrain.jpg

uae-founding-meeting.png

Lebanon 1943
640px-thumbnail.jpg

lebanon%202.jpg

Iraq 1936-1958
4d3a673eaf19d845d281046410d208ae.jpg

Crowds_in_downtown_Amman_watching_a_news_report_about_King_Faisal%27s_deposition_14_July_1958.png

Qatar 1971
DunLGpVWkAEnK04.jpg

United Arab Emirates 1971
fouding-1971.ashx

vldecAf53PtJuygO3rEWX-Bbn1vyYse5MOtlfw5Ws6YEYKAFe0kSZC6OErqM38mLMiCo6SN04YEHPFQEORW2aVyFkmQizXIjXs15VoC1XYou869TaY0F6RHODD4dOeWZamQUfGEaXDoVPyRqhXUizv4p99LQgbE

Sultanate of Oman 1951
fe3aa4430c1bf371221d0d4d567dc851.jpg

511444_2020-01-11-tehamapress.jpg

Egypt 1922-1952
maxresdefault.jpg

b7e340dbb5227f43313f50628a344bf1.jpg

Heshemite Kingdom of Jordan 1946
King_Abdullah_on_Jordan_Independence_day%2C_25_May_1946.jpg

King-Abdullah-I-of-Jordan-Naif-son.jpg

Sudan 1956

3b45486b-d9c8-4744-a7a9-119e45cba5d0-2060x1586.jpeg

Deleted member 3713

Nebulae

Egyptian Army in the fight against ISIS in the Sinai Peninsula with the help of Tribes men against the extremists

_8024_A2.jpg

20180214065600453.jpg

RTXTT0T.jpg

2850088094.jpg

Egyptian-Army.jpg

Captured Fighter disguising as a woman
32EC33EF00000578-3527769-image-a-18_1460018428352.jpg

iraq-special-operations-forces-isis-flag.jpg

Clokr

Atom
Nebulae
The Antietam Arm
169acbadb3ac7313da554f71ffe2e608.jpg

The Antietam Arm as it’s been come to known, is a very interesting artifact coming from the American Civil War. Mainly for the fact that it retains a very fair amount of its original composition, and was muffified naturally.

The origin of the arm itself comes from the infamous battle of Antietam, on September 17th, 1862. The single bloodiest day in American military history. With over 20,000 casualties combined. And the arm itself was found by a farmer a few months after the battle when the farmer was plowing his field. According to records the man kept the arm, before donating it to a doctor, which kept it and was soon lost to history until the 1960s when it was recovered in the man’s attic wrapped in cloth. And since then was donated where it now remains in the National Museum of Civil War Medicine.

Although who the arm belongs to remains a complete mystery. Thanks to tests by researchers. It’s believed that the owner was only 16 years of age, was 5’2”. And had brown hair. Belonging to either to Pennsylvania, Ohio, or New York due to the fact his diet contained mostly wheat. And it’s mainly unknown how the arm is lost. But I think it was amputated and tossed out with other amputated limbs. As that practice during the war was extremely common, due to the lack of medical advances and understanding. And there’s no sign of trauma in the arm suggesting it was done with a mini ball or cannonball.

Still one of my favorite artifacts from the war by far​

mårten

Atom
Nebulae
yknow what
even though im not TOO hot on soviet art history etc
it's still miles more interesting than ww2 history
maybe because i'm tired of hoi4 nerds sperging out about germany all the time