Serious HL2RP∞ Screenshot Thread

Mute

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
Does anyone have an example of what the science teams produced? Were they actual items added to the content pack? Did they have much utility?
I remember one time either in late CW or Helix (or on two seperate occasions) they produced a jacket with a heater inside of it, or at least were prototyping it and were gathering money kickstarter style and I payed 600 tokens and never got my jacket

In CW I believe both WI and CWU had a race to produce a robot in which both succeded in the end in different ways but that was before my time

There was also Division 22 in late CW which was this top secret black mesa type thing with a massive underground bunker compound (this was on the first iteration of d47) and I remember playing a character for it

We dissected a bullsquid, did tests on civillians, but again nothing came of it

As far as I remember it was a relatively uninfluental and, most of the time, a dead faction that catered to that Black Mesa style RP, but in the end it struggled to keep its members engaged

It was also disconnected from the rest of the server in ways other factions werent (you werent allowed to discuss most projects, people couldnt enter the facility) which made it irrelevant compared to CWU/UM

Reactions: List

Trains

ms paint artist extraordinaire
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
Rebel science groups didn't really exist back on LP (or even for most of Neb) because they were pushed aside in favor of the 'gritty and realistic' idea of your usual armed freedom fighters.
this is so stupid the whole premise of half life is wacky science shit why was everyone so hellbent on making it as grounded in reality as possible back then lol

real life is BORING why else are we playing vidyas

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
A few people ended up with them actually - a fair few loyalists. Even some citizens got the very basic version.

i only remember the person who literally made the same character again and again and was definitely a masochist
garwunkle or something

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
this is so stupid the whole premise of half life is wacky science shit why was everyone so hellbent on making it as grounded in reality as possible back then lol

Yeah I absolutely agree with you now but at the time it was just seen as common sense for whatever reason.

Personally I think it was because ScienceRP didn't actually give you anything whereas if you controlled things that mattered, like guns and whatever, you were seen as a Big Cool Rebel Man and everyone wanted to be cool. Like sure you could sit in the corner doing RP-based projects but you wouldn't have the clout as people who did the reverse.

There's still people who'll argue that despite Psi lasting longer than any rebel group in Helix 1.0 (the entire 3 years) and providing a lot of cool RP that they were cringe and unfitting just because they did science shit.

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae
Yeah I absolutely agree with you now but at the time it was just seen as common sense for whatever reason.

Personally I think it was because ScienceRP didn't actually give you anything whereas if you controlled things that mattered, like guns and whatever, you were seen as a Big Cool Rebel Man and everyone wanted to be cool. Like sure you could sit in the corner doing RP-based projects but you wouldn't have the clout as people who did the reverse.

There's still people who'll argue that despite Psi lasting longer than any rebel group in Helix 1.0 (the entire 3 years) and providing a lot of cool RP that they were cringe and unfitting just because they did science shit.
i think that there should be VOLK rifles and science flags 😎

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
Oh yeah didn't the UIL create an android?

We worked on a good bunch of projects although the main issue was always that we couldn't really do anything that was "palpable" per se. Everything was made for the sake of engaging in science roleplay and fun in the end, having a lore impact into the server was secondary though we tried at times. We did have participation in events as UIL and created cool scientific gadgets to be used in said events and were part of the plotline in a couple, like Dallas's ones.

certified Dunkel moment

Destroying someone as much as humanly possible while keeping him alive CAB experiment (gone wrong) (very funny)

Erkor

Narrative/Lore Management
Nebulae
Oh yeah didn't the UIL create an android?
lzAnY9y.jpg

it is imperative that a combine organization must create at least one sapient technological entity once per iteration

this is not a slight i found the robot kind of funny and engaging to rp with unlike most people i interacted with at the time

bilack

Electron
Nebulae

Real life is boring?

Explain why I am having so much fun producing illegal homemade explosive weaponry using PDF files from random Discord servers and mixing white phosphorus with ammonia nitrate and napalm

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
lzAnY9y.jpg

it is imperative that a combine organization must create at least one sapient technological entity once per iteration

this is not a slight i found the robot kind of funny and engaging to rp with unlike most people i interacted with at the time

Making the android a shackled AI so it can't overthrow governments but it can definitely be sarcastic and drop massive zingers and call you a nerd - The Project

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
it was my best friend...

It was insanely based

People will endlessly meme on UIL/WI but some of my best, funniest moments come from those factions and I've had a lot of great development for my characters with them

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
certified Dunkel moment
Looking back I always get a laugh people got so fucking offended for them about the Dunkel family situation w/CAB when it was literally an inside joke after the very first time.

Thood74

Molecule
Premium Member
Nebulae
lzAnY9y.jpg

yunno, why was UIL/WI/whatever else making all these androids anyways

what purpose would a highly restricted in use android prototype with no areas of expertise serve to either the Combine or local citizenry

Isuckatgaming

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
yunno, why was UIL/WI/whatever else making all these androids anyways

what purpose would a highly restricted in use android prototype with no areas of expertise serve to either the Combine or local citizenry

same reason humans have made any kind of automation machinery

-can be programmed to do menial tasks humans dont want to do
-can be used in environments where squishy humans cant go without a lot of protective equipment
-due to being mechanical it has a lot more precision

and the most important thing that has driven human innovation since time immemorial:

to see if they could do it (also its funny)

Thood74

Molecule
Premium Member
Nebulae
-can be programmed to do menial tasks humans dont want to do
stalkers and already existing automated factory machinery which is a lot more capable at performing the tasks they're specifically made for than expensive humanoid robots
-can be used in environments where squishy humans cant go without a lot of protective equipment
ota in earlier iterations weren't exactly unavailable most of the time
-due to being mechanical it has a lot more precision
possibly but that doesn't make up for how expensive it must surely be to manufacture a full on humanoid robot with its own AI system instead of just something remote controlled by a human
to see if they could do it (also its funny)
good point though, androids are awesome