Serious HL2RP∞ Screenshot Thread

Flop

Secret dingus man
Nebulae
LITERALLY NOTHING i have no idea why that was ever a thing

the fact we literally needed to edit the description of normal bandages to say 'THIS REALLY ISNT A BIG DEAL WHY WOULD YOU EVER PROSECUTE SOMEONE FOR HAVING THIS ' is still hilarious
"not approved by us? YOU MUST BE AN REBEL!"

Reactions: List

bilack

Electron
Nebulae
oh no i have seen an officers chin and mouth!
he has a chin and mouth

i will surely be shot in the head for this
WITNESS STERILIZATION!
NOOOO

retard rules from a bygone era
reminds me of the time i made a character to do some passive roleplay with cops as a refugee, had to go take a shit so i went afk for 20 minutes (the whole time my character was staring at a wall)

when i come back to my computer i see im in a cell and end up getting executed because a cop apparently took his mask off whilst i was there (i was intensely staring at the wall and did not see nor even know he took off his mask. i wasnt even at my pc.)

rob

Nebulae
reminds me of the time i made a character to do some passive roleplay with cops as a refugee, had to go take a shit so i went afk for 20 minutes (the whole time my character was staring at a wall)

when i come back to my computer i see im in a cell and end up getting executed because a cop apparently took his mask off whilst i was there (i was intensely staring at the wall and did not see nor even know he took off his mask. i wasnt even at my pc.)
This is an understatement, I was the cop:

I didn't even take my mask fully off, I just lifted it up enough to eat something

Mute

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
okay but what is the difference between UU branded bandages and normal bandages
it was like a lot of stuff clearly put in for game balance ages ago, then that was given a lore explanation as to why stuff is this way so people arent persecuted for "15-9378/1-s; game balance we oocly decided so"

that was during an era where rebels were way more powerful, so to counteract that city activity was made way riskier so stuff theyd typically carry (batteries, medical items, ammo cartons, materials) was illegal and it would be harder to operate in the city

but eventually the whole lore-revamp era came where people split into camps of "the lore is fucking dumb lets nitpick and critique every single aspect of it down to the dot" or "the lore is clearly the pinnacle of everything and all must be done according to it"

people started going why is le empty ammo box illegal or why is le wood illegal, which does make sense from a lore standpoint, but completely disregards the balance aspect of it

to be fair this was during an era where rebels were significantly weaker to their clockwork counterparts, so encouraging city activity and loosening up on the draconian laws was better for everything overall, but as i said all discussions on this were pretty much done strictly from the pov of lore rather than balance

Imo it eventually became too easy to operate in the city as a rebel due to the whole focus on the lore (why do le cps randomly search, why do le cps randomly kick in doors, why is x illegal), and id frequently walk around with guns and 6 tons of explosives on me and never get searched, and even if i did get searched with less risky items (medical items, materials up to 12(?), etc) i would never get prosecuted

(Speaking about materials it did eventually get tied up in the whole lore discussion "lol what is 1 metal how do you quantify what 6 metal is lore wise" even doe it was clearly for balance)

so uu bandages would exclusively be carried by UM, or dropped through higher priorty rations, while you'd have to go out of your way to obtain regular bandages, either through rebels or through obtaining materials and crafting it

it stuck around for a bit, then was changed during the lore revamp era, and then that stuck around

tl;dr ooc balancing from an era where rebels were stronger

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
it was like a lot of stuff clearly put in for game balance ages ago, then that was given a lore explanation as to why stuff is this way so people arent persecuted for "15-9378/1-s; game balance we oocly decided so"

that was during an era where rebels were way more powerful, so to counteract that city activity was made way riskier so stuff theyd typically carry (batteries, medical items, ammo cartons, materials) was illegal and it would be harder to operate in the city

but eventually the whole lore-revamp era came where people split into camps of "the lore is fucking dumb lets nitpick and critique every single aspect of it down to the dot" or "the lore is clearly the pinnacle of everything and all must be done according to it"

people started going why is le empty ammo box illegal or why is le wood illegal, which does make sense from a lore standpoint, but completely disregards the balance aspect of it

to be fair this was during an era where rebels were significantly weaker to their clockwork counterparts, so encouraging city activity and loosening up on the draconian laws was been better for everything overall, but as i said all discussions on this were pretty much done strictly from the pov of lore rather than balance

Imo it eventually became too easy to operate in the city as a rebel due to the whole focus on the lore (why do le cps randomly search, why do le cps randomly kick in doors, why is x illegal), and id frequently walk around with guns and 6 tons of explosives on me and never get searched, and even if i did get searched with less risky items (medical items, materials up to 12(?), etc) i would never get prosecuted

(Speaking about materials it did eventually get tied up in the whole lore discussion "lol what is 1 metal how do you quantify what 6 metal is lore wise" even doe it was clearly for balance)

so uu bandages would exclusively be carried by UM, or dropped through higher priorty rations, while you'd have to go out of your way to obtain regular bandages, either through rebels or through obtaining materials and crafting it

it stuck around for a bit, then was changed during the lore revamp era, and then that stuck around

f0f6f803-deeb-4766-b396-1489b8c2997e.png

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
unfortunately ive clearly been cursed to live out the rest of my days posting 9 paragraph essays about a game community from a decade ago rather than curing cancer or something

"i want to create dinosaurs not cure cancer" or smth like that right

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae

to be fair this was during an era where rebels were significantly weaker to their clockwork counterparts, so encouraging city activity and loosening up on the draconian laws was better for everything overall, but as i said all discussions on this were pretty much done strictly from the pov of lore rather than balance

yeah didn’t read this

Gyarik

gu
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae

i was there besides rob, i genuinely have no idea why that happened, i told them you were facing a wall the entire time but they didn't listen

Nebulae

you-sly-dog-pointing-at.gif

(song unrelated i just like desert blues)

lowkey miss early helix c8 where it seemed like there was a good balance. we'd run around as cops regularly patting people down and interrogating them over shit, setting up checkpoints etc. meanwhile there was a shotcop in rb6 every other day and the brave mfers who did it under PK risk usually planned their escape to get away before the response

then i17 rolled around and everything got so much 'safer' city side, barely anyone tried their luck with the combine anymore - those who did seemed to start dropping like flies; i presume it was just the wide streets and huge layout making it hard to slip away/easy to get seen. by the time we'd cycled back to city8 in 2021 exactly what you said happened and it became fairly easy to get away with things, and while there was a lot of fantastic rp going on with the gangs that i experienced firsthand, i could also see that there just wasn't any way for CPs to interact with it without potentially ruining it all with a sneeze; so they were never allowed to (this also happened in joseon where i experienced it from the cop pov, i had a lot of plans for sabotaging the gangs of that time also but my presence was too threatening to the delicate balance between them so i was never allowed)

that's what i can't wrap my head around; it'd have been great to bring back the 'risk' in interacting with the city for rebels, but how do you do that without suffocating all rebel activity? how do you encourage them to go up topside in good faith when the very real possibility exists of losing your character over a bundle of zipties (do not research vlado) and other shit that should normally be "benign" (or at least get you beaten for)? all it takes is for a cop to go "get on the wall." and the moment they're within 3 feet of you, you're fucked on the escape because they'll either block your exit and baton you down with superior run speed or just shoot you

imo the answer lies (and has always lied) in personal containers, none of the d r a c o n i an contraband laws wouldve mattered if we let people hold onto their illegal stuff without having to carry them on their person; and only take them out when it mattered. most people who carry so much as a knife were forced underground simply because a permanent kill was always one CP dialogue prompt away. it's very regrettable that such an essential gameplay mechanic of being an undercover guerilla fighter was locked behind premium for most of helix

the only time i recall seeing an amazing network of surface rebelRP was in linntrix's iteration, and that was only because authing personal conts was made very easy. a system not unlike premium would've made things so much easier though, a modest space available to everyone at least that can be extended with prem membership

Tinbe

Molecule
Nebulae
imo the answer lies (and has always lied) in personal containers
I still vividly remember some occasion on i17 when I randomly found a USP-T on my citizen, so I got an apartment in D4, chucked the gun there and locked the door (didn't put my name on it ofc), since it was literally the safest option I could imagine.
Only for cops to raid D4 like five minutes later. I just watched from afar as cops swarmed across the big apartment building D4 and thought up foul curses in my head at my extremely bad luck.

Nebulae
I still vividly remember some occasion on i17 when I randomly found a USP-T on my citizen, so I got an apartment in D4, chucked the gun there and locked the door (didn't put my name on it ofc), since it was literally the safest option I could imagine.
Only for cops to raid D4 like five minutes later. I just watched from afar as cops swarmed across the big apartment building D4 and thought up foul curses in my head at my extremely bad luck.

yeah. it always seemed nightmarish to me as a player to even attempt to balance this dynamic; you can't give cops stuff to do unless it also runs a train over the rebels (and forces them to stay underground, and thus cops never finding anything interesting), but inversely (and this was something i rarely mentioned at the time) you also can't make it too easy for rebels to hide their shit because that eventually results in cops also never finding anything interesting

what people want is the sweet spot of maximum entropy - those moments where you just barely hide your gun under a bed before you get sweeped and the cops somehow miss it and you live. or having a conversation with a cp squad with a sidearm in your inventory because you have to kill a snitch in two minutes and you might be one provocative sentence from getting them to search you. etc. but that needs a rebel playerbase with a genuine risk taking mindset (regardless of how much or little their opposition suffers for it), and that's another story entirely at that point

Nebulae
it fucking sucks ass that the old screenshot thread is locked away now in a hidden subforum cause one of my favourite pics was me talking with two detectives and a cop with a revolver in my inventory on c08 wish i could post it here

bq is down to pull stuff from the archives on request

but nothing beats scouring the elder scrolls of ye olden screenshot thread for 30 minutes to an hour just to find that one spontaneous flashback that occurs to you midday

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae

but nothing beats scouring the elder scrolls of ye olden screenshot thread for 30 minutes to an hour just to find that one spontaneous flashback that occurs to you midday

the flashback: an extremely traumatic and painful experience someone actually found funny

Mute

`impulse-approved
Nebulae

it really aint that serious dont think a shitpost is worth the effort of doing that but it still is a really nice memory and one of my favourite encounters on the server

as much as im happy the server took the direction it did and it looks like everyones having a shit ton of fun i do really miss the city hijinks that would occur and cityrp will always hold a special place in my heart regardless of how headache inducing and boring it was at times. the feeling of being a rebel/cop and encountering someone from the opposing side, and actually playing through with the goal of creating an entertaining encounter rather than winning was always so fucking fun, even if it meant putting your char on the line. i think its nearly impossible to recreate that dynamic anywhere else

Andrew

Atom
Nebulae
you-sly-dog-pointing-at.gif

(song unrelated i just like desert blues)

lowkey miss early helix c8 where it seemed like there was a good balance. we'd run around as cops regularly patting people down and interrogating them over shit, setting up checkpoints etc. meanwhile there was a shotcop in rb6 every other day and the brave mfers who did it under PK risk usually planned their escape to get away before the response

then i17 rolled around and everything got so much 'safer' city side, barely anyone tried their luck with the combine anymore - those who did seemed to start dropping like flies; i presume it was just the wide streets and huge layout making it hard to slip away/easy to get seen. by the time we'd cycled back to city8 in 2021 exactly what you said happened and it became fairly easy to get away with things, and while there was a lot of fantastic rp going on with the gangs that i experienced firsthand, i could also see that there just wasn't any way for CPs to interact with it without potentially ruining it all with a sneeze; so they were never allowed to (this also happened in joseon where i experienced it from the cop pov, i had a lot of plans for sabotaging the gangs of that time also but my presence was too threatening to the delicate balance between them so i was never allowed)

that's what i can't wrap my head around; it'd have been great to bring back the 'risk' in interacting with the city for rebels, but how do you do that without suffocating all rebel activity? how do you encourage them to go up topside in good faith when the very real possibility exists of losing your character over a bundle of zipties (do not research vlado) and other shit that should normally be "benign" (or at least get you beaten for)? all it takes is for a cop to go "get on the wall." and the moment they're within 3 feet of you, you're fucked on the escape because they'll either block your exit and baton you down with superior run speed or just shoot you

imo the answer lies (and has always lied) in personal containers, none of the d r a c o n i an contraband laws wouldve mattered if we let people hold onto their illegal stuff without having to carry them on their person; and only take them out when it mattered. most people who carry so much as a knife were forced underground simply because a permanent kill was always one CP dialogue prompt away. it's very regrettable that such an essential gameplay mechanic of being an undercover guerilla fighter was locked behind premium for most of helix

the only time i recall seeing an amazing network of surface rebelRP was in linntrix's iteration, and that was only because authing personal conts was made very easy. a system not unlike premium would've made things so much easier though, a modest space available to everyone at least that can be extended with prem membership

never forghetti the amount of times we'd hear 'we'll do something similar to prem for all users soon but at reduced storage capacity' and the amount of times it was suggested
just like not updating the loading screens which still have spelling mistakes

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
never forghetti the amount of times we'd hear 'we'll do something similar to prem for all users soon but at reduced storage capacity' and the amount of times it was suggested
just like not updating the loading screens which still have spelling mistakes

☝️🤓