Serious I feel depressed a majority of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
You might say that Evil, but here's thing thing - John has Aspergers and this is the only outlet he has. It's very easy for us to play arm-chair psychologist and say; "Oh you need to go out and make friends", friendship isn't something you can just seek out of the blue.
Not exactly arm-chair psychology

Humans are social creatures and therefor excel mentally when engaged in social contact

It doesn't have to be friends or strangers, even just talking to your family is healthy and stimulates your brain positively.

As simple a thing as tagging along when his parents go shopping/grocery shopping (if he really has been doing this for a while) is literally one of the best things he can do without leaving the security of his parents

Not occupying your brain with stuff and stimulating it is not good as it

A: leaves more room for self loathing
B: can fuck with you mentally

T. Somone who studies psychology among other things

Last edited:

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
Not exactly arm-chair psychology

Humans are social creatures and therefor excel mentally when engaged in social contact

It doesn't have to be friends or strangers, even just talking to your family is healthy and stimulates your brain positively.

As simple a thing as tagging along when his parents go shopping/grocery shopping (if he really has been doing this for a while) is literally one of the best things he can do without leaving the security of his parents

Not occupying your brain with stuff and stimulating it is not good as it

A: leaves more room for self loathing
B: can fuck with you mentally

T. Somone who studies psychology among other things

The issue is I am extremely poor at general social contact, making me more likely to make a larger mistake.

This larger mistake will cause me to feel worse than I did before, thus causing the cycle to repeat after a long sum of time.

D

Deleted member 1405

i suffer from GAD and because of that get depression, but its more so around the winter time. Depression sucks man I know that, but seriously you gotta make life style changes. Being in the sun has helped me so much, if you're in an area thats rainy and shitty out that might contribute to you moods, i think it's called SADS or something like that. Try to cut back on the computers, I know it may be hard and this may be your only outlet but maybe try something different if u wanna get better, but once again we aren't doctors and can't help you. Take everything ppl on here with a grain of salt because we don't know you and aren't your doctors, good luck man I've been in that dark place before I got better with medicine I hope you can too

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
The issue is I am extremely poor at general social contact, making me more likely to make a larger mistake.

This larger mistake will cause me to feel worse than I did before, thus causing the cycle to repeat after a long sum of time.
No mistakes no progress

Not putting yourself out there is the worst mistake you can make

Baby steps is the name of the game

Reactions: List

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
No mistakes no progress

Not putting yourself out there is the worst mistake you can make

Baby steps is the name of the game

I don't know who I'll make the mistake with.
I might make a mistake with someone that I really trust, and then that mistake causes me to lose them.

It's all too scary and risky for me.

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I don't know who I'll make the mistake with.
I might make a mistake with someone that I really trust, and then that mistake causes me to lose them.

It's all too scary and risky for me.
The whole point of doing it with someone who knows you and who you put your trust in is that if you let them know whats up then the "mistake" won't be a mistake, but just a bump on the way to getting back on top

Hence why you should let your parents know and use them as a crutch in public until you have the confidence to go out on your own

Deadpool

A turtle made it to the water
Nebulae
ive read 3 pages of this and im at loss
you have to get out of this mindset even if its that hard with your aspergers and depression otherwise youll just sink lower and lower and youll keep having these self esteem issues and being too self conscious about superficial stuff. maybe for a start try to stir up conversations with your parents about a topic, like history, or something they like, watch a show with them on the tv, do something like that, in your house, with your parents

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
The whole point of doing it with someone who knows you and who you put your trust in is that if you let them know whats up then the "mistake" won't be a mistake, but just a bump on the way to getting back on top

Hence why you should let your parents know and use them as a crutch in public until you have the confidence to go out on your own

I know I can go out on my own.

My dad doesn't let me, and I don't live in a normal house. I live behind a few gates, in a field, about a mile away from anyone that I know's house, and about 3 away from the nearest park.

Plankster

Atom
Nebulae
i really think that you should talk to your parents about it, they know you better than anyone and it's not like your own parents will pick on you or abuse you for telling them you're depressed.

and as a lot of other people said you should try to get a hobby like playing an instrument like drums or guitar for example. that could really helps you focus on other things and eventually you could try to join a band or start one to become a bit more social. if you don't wanna learn an instrument you could also start playing a team sport like football or hockey

but as evil says, you need to try and put yourself out there, even though you might commit mistakes and you definetely need to get prof help man

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
i really think that you should talk to your parents about it, they know you better than anyone and it's not like your own parents will pick on you or abuse you for telling them you're depressed.

and as a lot of other people said you should try to get a hobby like playing an instrument like drums or guitar for example. that could really helps you focus on other things and eventually you could try to join a band or start one to become a bit more social. if you don't wanna learn an instrument you could also start playing a team sport like football or hockey

but as evil says, you need to try and put yourself out there, even though you might commit mistakes and you definetely need to get prof help man

My parents already know that I have depressive thoughts.
I play 2 instruments, Trumpet & Piano.
No one want's me in their band because no-one's making bands in my school, that need a pianist/trumpeteer.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I agree with @ye man.

Until maybe two months ago I was in a pretty rough place with myself for various reasons - I'd become withdrawn, all that shit. I know this may not help you but one day I literally decided enough was enough - I wanted change. I joined a local gym, I resolved to fix my life and I started working towards becoming social again and regaining what I'd let slip.

And it's already made the world of difference. I feel better because I'm taking steps, however small, to fix myself up and fix my problems. As everyone else has said your parents are your first port of call. You can drag yourself up from this.

Plankster

Atom
Nebulae
My parents already know that I have depressive thoughts.
I play 2 instruments, Trumpet & Piano.
No one want's me in their band because no-one's making bands in my school, that need a pianist/trumpeteer.
what about the team sports? exercise and socialize

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
what about the team sports? exercise and socialize

I've tried. Whenever I do team sports, people either slack off, or are too absorbed by the game that they won't socialize.

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
what sport? try something else

I've tried Rugby and Cricket.
I refuse to try Football & Basketball because I really don't enjoy those sports in the position I play (Goalie).

Plankster

Atom
Nebulae
I've tried Rugby and Cricket.
I refuse to try Football & Basketball because I really don't enjoy those sports in the position I play (Goalie).
Well do you have to play goalie? Have you tried other positions? Try maybe hockey or something

Deleted member 5501

The Civil Authority Grindset
B A N N E D
Nebulae
I know why I feel depressed, but I don't know how to really fix it.
I want to learn how to not care about things.
Any tips?

I have had friends and relatives who have and still do suffer from depression. If I have learned one thing from experiencing it from an outside perspective is that you should stay away from anti-depressants, they can be addictive and they are only temporary if they do even work for you. I'd suggest setting yourself some feel-good goals, little things that allow you to boost your mental state in a positive light. These goals can be anything from going for a run or doing something completely different and unlike yourself to do!

I cannot say I myself am perfect but I hope my advice at least helped in one way or another.

Deleted member 61

donator without a cause
Nebulae
I actually will second the 'do acid and discover yourself' notion.

I have a couple friends who did shrooms and acid and now they can't stand cigarettes.

It's a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.