Suggestion LSPD be more lenient on GTA shit until cars are more readily affordable

Straven

Proton
Nebulae
Most people on the server rn cannot afford a car, so basically everyone steals a vehicle. However, everytime you steal a vehicle a mythical ping is sent directly to the PD with the exact location and detail of the car stolen.

This has resulted in me getting into a chase every roughly 5 picoseconds as unless I want to walk from the PD to burgershot or somewhere equally far away I need to steal a vehicle. Quite literally I have had to go through like 6 chases in the span of 20 minutes when all I wanted to do is hang around at Burger Shot, but oh no I stand in Burger Shot and there's quite literally a cop on his radio whispering, very clearly telling my location but engaging in 0 rp with me, whole PD show up and I am tased and arrested and boom can't play for like 40 minutes* because I wanted to travel from one location to another without having to spend the next millenia walking.

The amount of brain rot this has given me is extraordinarily frustrating as I am forced to flee else I basically cannot play the game for a span of time and my blackhole of a debt increases ever further

*correction not 40 minutes, 165 minutes

Last edited:
Reactions: List

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
imo you should be able to get a car (of mid quality (but not reliant robin quality)) relatively quickly
this game is reliant on being able to get a car and being able to drive across the map, especially when most jobs require you have a vehicle of some type
when your early-game options are either "steal a car" or "rely on the good will of others," there's an issue
basically no one is doing taxi services from what I've seen, and no one is renting a car because it'll just vanish in due time and it takes like 2 cycles of chop shopping to pay it back (and you have to leave the thing behind to even take the car)

i think there should just be a higher price disparity between the dime-a-dozen working cars, and the supercars
and people should be able to get a car, because a car is vital for a player to function in the server

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
the sooner you realise that this will be GTA RP by Neb, which historically has been a place where items of value are scarce and things are difficult to achieve, the sooner you'll be happy

having said that, games should be balanced around the average joe and not the lifeless grinder because that's what the bulk of the playerbase is, everyone should have the opportunity to get the good things without having to dedicate their life to it

I have just a little over 200 hours on the server and only recently hit $100k, I'm a bit of a grinder when the server is quiet and when the server is populated I spend all my time roleplaying with roleplaying and fucking about. In my opinion it's still hard to make money and there is nothing worth buying right now which leads to saving up and waiting for something worthwhile to spend cash on, hopefully good cars in the near future

I'm bored of running what is really, if you somewhat value your time, the only viable job in the city. In terms of game balance, I think you could get away with bumping up the legal jobs by a decent margin and increasing the chop shop money up to 1.2k with a group to compensate, if you want to keep the current cars at the price that they are now, and bump up the price of food across the table.

It's very very hard to get the tool required to do the grocery store robbery, so much that I thought it was impossible to get since the dropchance is so low. I must have done 50+ house robberies and have only seen the tool twice, the time investment for both activities is not worth it in terms of money

at the moment it's unexciting to go into a house because 90% of the time you'll find 2 spots with cash and then RNG roll on what item you are able to steal. I would like to be able to go into a house and keep searching for items and loot inside one property instead of doing a quick dine and dash before the cops are even able to get there, by being allowed to keep searching one house for goods it increases the risk of getting caught but also increases the reward making it a little bit more fair for both sides, and being engaging at the same time

Well, there will be more ways to make money soon. Right now people are just holding over until actual heists are implemented, like the jewelry store, banks and whatever else

the server is still in its most basic barebones state, with features being pumped out after only days work as they look where the interests are at. most drugs aren't even implemented yet, and PDM was only created so fast because players had a demand for it. I cut them some slack, because there's a lot to do and be worked on. I don't really have any issue with holding out and waiting, rping where I can while new features trickle in. the only reason there's so many complaints about how T0 crime works is because it's really easy to complain about, it's the only form of crime on the server as it is

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
imo you should be able to get a car (of mid quality (but not reliant robin quality)) relatively quickly
this game is reliant on being able to get a car and being able to drive across the map, especially when most jobs require you have a vehicle of some type
when your early-game options are either "steal a car" or "rely on the good will of others," there's an issue
basically no one is doing taxi services from what I've seen, and no one is renting a car because it'll just vanish in due time and it takes like 2 cycles of chop shopping to pay it back (and you have to leave the thing behind to even take the car)

i think there should just be a higher price disparity between the dime-a-dozen working cars, and the supercars
and people should be able to get a car, because a car is vital for a player to function in the server
someone should capitalize on this and get the government to supplement them in starting a taxi company, instead of lowering the prices for vehicles across the board

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
The rusty/low tier vehicles do need a severe price reduction though cause rn it is very hard to get transport other than stealing. They should cost around like 2500 dollars
I am of the opinion that the prices of lockpicks should be increased and the vehicle prices are fine as is, so there's more of a drive for someone to start up an actual taxi/uber company and fill that gap with a player-ran service that provides some rp to the server

I think that would be a step in the right direction for the server, instead of this very locked-in focus on the scripted jobs like delivery or garbage truck driving being your gateway into becoming rich and owning your own assets

boots

spooky skellys
HL2 RP Senior Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
my honest take is that the current legal jobs and the current t0 criminal activities should all pay around the same, you should be able to make more or less the same amount as chop shop as any job that is currently available, and then save the big big bucks for high-tier crim activities that are super late game

Warwick

Mum Looks Like Tracy Beaker
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
If it suits the character, maybe they would
This is part of the problem. The initial cars shouldn't be restrictive. The shitty cars that identify you as poor and make it very difficult to escape cops in - shouldn't be hard to come by.

Mute

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
If it suits the character, maybe they would
suits one of my chars, want the rat bike, would still prefer not to have to grind like 10 hours just to get the base bike without any mods and then probably 10 more to customize it the way i want it to be

boots

spooky skellys
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
The rusty/low tier vehicles do need a severe price reduction though cause rn it is very hard to get transport other than stealing. They should cost around like 2500 dollars
2.5k is very little, but ranging from 7-10k is very feasible as a new player and what I think those cars are worth.

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
This is part of the problem. The initial cars shouldn't be restrictive. The shitty cars that identify you as poor and make it very difficult to escape cops in - shouldn't be hard to come by.
suits one of my chars, want the rat bike, would still prefer not to have to grind like 10 hours just to get the base bike without any mods and then probably 10 more to customize it the way i want it to be
Let's say you can afford a car within 2 days of playing. What else is there for you to work towards on the server beyond that in its current state? I don't see the need for the rush, because it's quite literally the only asset to get right now. There's not even that large of a vehicle selection to shop through either

boots

spooky skellys
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Let's say you can afford a car within 2 days of playing. What else is there for you to work towards on the server beyond that in its current state? I don't see the need for the rush, because it's quite literally the only asset to get right now. There's not even that large of a vehicle selection to shop through either
I mean of course there is nothing to do yet or things to buy, but the people that have been playing should be driving around in those cars instead of not being able to afford them, since we are basically in stage 1 of the server, which is essentially newcomings/starter zone of the game, they should be able to afford those things and wait for the next update for better cars and better payouts to be available so they can then work towards those.

I'm saying there should be linear progression which atm we are waiting for better things just so we can afford the previous good thing

Mute

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
i mean on the contrary why are shitty basic vehicles being gatekept on a grand theft auto v server, a game and map thats developed around the player spending like 65% of their time in a car

im not playing to grind and make my way up to something, im playing to have fun, achieving the goal of owning a bike wont make me want to quit when its not really even something im "working towards" currently, the only reason i grinded is so i can get out of debt and have enough cash to eat/drink

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
̶e̶n̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶e̶c̶h̶a̶n̶i̶c̶'̶s̶ ̶g̶a̶r̶a̶g̶e̶

right now, people need to work towards being rich enough to afford a car that makes them look poor
surely you can see that's an issue

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I mean of course there is nothing to do yet or things to buy, but the people that have been playing should be driving around in those cars instead of not being able to afford them, since we are basically in stage 1 of the server, which is essentially newcomings/starter zone of the game, they should be able to afford those things and wait for the next update for better cars and better payouts to be available so they can then work towards those.

I'm saying there should be linear progression which atm we are waiting for better things just so we can afford the previous good thing
i mean on the contrary why are shitty basic vehicles being gatekept on a grand theft auto v server, a game and map thats developed around the player spending like 65% of their time in a car

im not playing to grind and make my way up to something, im playing to have fun, achieving the goal of owning a bike wont make me want to quit when its not really even something im "working towards" currently, the only reason i grinded is so i can get out of debt and have enough cash to eat/drink
could always go down the path of not grinding and working towards a vehicle. alex has made it clear enough by now that he thinks everyone cruising around in their own personal cars right now wouldn't be healthy for the server

look at @Aether . He wanted a news van. He went through three weeks of rp without said news van, and not really grinding out money to buy one. He started a news company instead, and found other means to get it done. Now, he got himself a news van on discount that he gets to cruise around in because of his contributions. On the other end, you have people doing nothing but grinding garbage delivery saying that vehicle prices are too high, not really offering much of anything at all, for anyones experience (even their own). I'm not saying vehicles should be gatekept that much, it just seems like it's clear to me that headstaff wants people to focus elsewhere.

There's plenty of people that could have purchased their own car by now, but instead of buying a car they got arrested a few times over, spent their money elsewhere or w/e else. there's people in this thread that have over eighty grand but haven't made the choice to purchase a car, and are complaining that vehicle prices are too high

I for one, would much rather see people taking the initiative and starting their own businesses, such as a taxi company, a law firm, a pawnshop and so on. things like garbage truck driving, package delivery or chop shop exist for new/unestablished players to get enough money to spend at other roleplay based establishments, make connections and then eventually find a higher paying job with a foundation of roleplay to afford things like cars or houses

Pyromaniac

rob-approved!
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
Most people on the server rn cannot afford a car, so basically everyone steals a vehicle. However, everytime you steal a vehicle a mythical ping is sent directly to the PD with the exact location and detail of the car stolen.

This has resulted in me getting into a chase every roughly 5 picoseconds as unless I want to walk from the PD to burgershot or somewhere equally far away I need to steal a vehicle. Quite literally I have had to go through like 6 chases in the span of 20 minutes when all I wanted to do is hang around at Burger Shot, but oh no I stand in Burger Shot and there's quite literally a cop on his radio whispering, very clearly telling my location but engaging in 0 rp with me, whole PD show up and I am tased and arrested and boom can't play for like 40 minutes* because I wanted to travel from one location to another without having to spend the next millenia walking.

The amount of brain rot this has given me is extraordinarily frustrating as I am forced to flee else I basically cannot play the game for a span of time and my blackhole of a debt increases ever further

*correction not 40 minutes, 165 minutes
The only thing that confuses me here is you have to run away every time you steal a vehicle, it feels like you must be doing something wrong since half the time I arrive to such a report the car is gone, a quarter of the time I arrive barely in time to catch the vehicle or still miss it only when I am in the area (e.g. hanging around mirror park if there's many reports there) and the other quarter of the time I see people driving vehicles OBVIOUSLY stolen but not triggering the radar or having been notified of their theft because, well, no local saw it.

And the ping is the exact location of the witness, not the stolen vehicle from what I can tell.

As for the radioing, it's also a reputation you build. You've been banned at burgershot (probably due to trouble caused) and most officers have interacted or heard about you enough to know that approaching you solo when intending to perform any LEO action has risks associated so calling backup is worth it.

E: I wanna make it clear I am not trying to dismiss how you feel and it's still important to say the way you see or feel things, I'm trying to illustrate the reasons behind this.

Last edited:

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
could always go down the path of not grinding and working towards a vehicle. alex has made it clear enough by now that he thinks everyone cruising around in their own personal cars right now wouldn't be healthy for the server

look at @Aether . He wanted a news van. He went through three weeks of rp without said news van, and not really grinding out money to buy one. He started a news company instead, and found other means to get it done. Now, he got himself a news van on discount that he gets to cruise around in because of his contributions. On the other end, you have people doing nothing but grinding garbage delivery saying that vehicle prices are too high, not really offering much of anything at all, for anyones experience (even their own). I'm not saying vehicles should be gatekept that much, it just seems like it's clear to me that headstaff wants people to focus elsewhere.

There's plenty of people that could have purchased their own car by now, but instead of buying a car they got arrested a few times over, spent their money elsewhere or w/e else. there's people in this thread that have over eighty grand but haven't made the choice to purchase a car, and are complaining that vehicle prices are too high

I for one, would much rather see people taking the initiative and starting their own businesses, such as a taxi company, a law firm, a pawnshop and so on. things like garbage truck driving, package delivery or chop shop exist for new/unestablished players to get enough money to spend at other roleplay based establishments, make connections and then eventually find a higher paying job with a foundation of roleplay to afford things like cars or houses

until the best way to make money is through RP, people will continue to use the NPC-dependent jobs. grinders care about the optimal way to make cash per hour, and if you just continually punish grinding, they will stop playing sooner than they'll pivot to doing something else. see "rested XP"

player-to-player transactions don't create money, it just transfers it from one person to another

NPCs create money out of thin air

hopefully when this wave of businesses get accepted, we can pivot into RP-dependent moneymaking

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I think that we're getting a bit lost in the sauce here, so I'm just going to throw this in here and hopefully it'll turn some heads.

We keep talking about the economy, and while I personally agree - shitty vehicles that barely break 80-100 should cost sub 20k - this isn't, or at least shouldn't be the focus of this thread. The original point was, as far as I can tell, that cops should be more lenient about stolen cars due to the current nature of the server.

And I think there's some points to be made in that. Yes, obviously Negan is criminal #1 and virtually everyone has heard of him. Yes, if Negan turns up in a car despite the 130k debt, he almost certainly has not bought it himself. However, this is where we should focus on roleplay. Negan should say something along the lines of "it's my cousins/friends" and police should go (unless they directly saw him steal it or someone else has given witness testimony that can be disputed in court now we have a judge) "oh okay" and should go about their business, and that should be okay.

We shouldn't really care if someone is in a stolen car, because to be frank, no one has really cared about it for the past 2 weeks where I and virtually everyone else have been in them. I know it kinda devoids the PD of pursuing stolen car charges (that is, beyond chop shop reported stolen cars) but lets be honest, they still have more than enough other stuff to tend to anyway, and that's okay.

So how's about we reel this back a little, chill and just roleplay with eachother and not focus too much on getting assets over just having fun? Welfare covers the cost of food and water from burgershot after all, so it's not as if we must grind.