OUR BENEFACTORS - FEEDBACK

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
We didn't ask for the propblocks, staff placed them of their own volition.
The issue isn't the intent, it's the fact that we've just had a wipe and somehow the resistance is once-again easily getting access to a ton of automatic-weapons and armour. I saw a vast majority of players yesterday who haven't been active and couldn't possibly have worked towards the place they were in loot-wise.

I'd like to ask, were weapons handed out by event characters to rebels before the siege? If so, there's no use for a wipe because there's no economy- it's just when staff decide people should be geared.
This is about the fact that both OTA and Civil Protection had their high-end guns removed, and rebels get (arguably, bar the AR2) the strongest gun in the game spawned in x3 two maps in after an "economy wipe" which was meant to tone the die-in-four-bodyshots combat down.

"Man, it sure is unfair those three rebels got big guns" says the disgruntled combine player as he looks around at his turrets, mines, APC, heavily fortified position and cameras, nodding to himself.

Like despite caring about the principle, did any of you stop to ask if that would be fun for rebels to fight? Of course you wouldn't. I wouldn't expect you to. But you did happily use what you were given to fortify the place. Hell, some of you admit you were even hoping that Dispatch would have told you wherever in the building they broke in from just for an extra kick in the balls for them.

So which is it? Would you rather have had a heavily undergeared Resistance running at you with just pistols and shitty armor so its no challenge and they hate it? Or should they be allowed to, idk, storm the tower and try to have fun?

I probably sound like I'm being snide, but I'm trying to prove a point. "The principle" and drumming up hypotheticals reads more like pulling any reason to be upset, rather than focussing on what sounds reasonable. Its hypocritical, because at no point did you look at any of the advantages you got given yesterday and think about the wipe, I can guarantee it.

Caring that the TP was bungled? Sure. Caring that despite winning you feel shafted? Right there with you. Acting like three guns are the end of the world in light of what you all gladly used yesterday? Legitimately silly.

Simman102

the Scourge of Roleplay
Nebulae
Funny that you mention cameras because those were blown up by event characters with entity weapons who were teleported in to destroy them.
Would you rather have had a heavily undergeared Resistance running at you with just pistols and shitty armor so its no challenge and they hate it? Or should they be allowed to, idk, storm the tower and try to have fun?
Idiotic implication, both disregarding what I said and also implying what I never said.
In fact, here's what I said a day before the event:
image.png

Nobody's arguing that they shouldn't have an even chance, it's the fact that the strongest gun in the game got spawned in x3.

Reactions: List

flowerbroth

Quark
Nebulae
Again, people are just making assumptions.

Those AS Vals were meant to be reclaimed ICly yesterday but we had an internal issue that prevented it.

It will be handled.

ovxy

infamous instigator
Media Developer
Premium Member
Nebulae
"Man, it sure is unfair those three rebels got big guns" says the disgruntled combine player as he looks around at his turrets, mines, APC, heavily fortified position and cameras, nodding to himself.
The funny thing is we ran out of all our mines and turrets long before the event, and had to rely on Transhumans to provide them. Additionally, the rebel attack the day before limited us to 100 boxes of MP7 ammo and 100 batteries. Our medical stocks have already ran out.

The APC was authorized by staff, but then magically stalled, its missile launcher was disabled anyway so it only had the gun.

Of course the defenders are going to have heavily fortified positions, are you stupid? That's how defending works, but those fortifications don't have much use if the infiltrators are going to be @bring'd straight to their target.

To add onto that, we had no cue for the teleportation taking place (like we used to before however vague it was), anything close to it was excused with "ambience".

Last edited:

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Nebulae
There's the issue: the gear 'given out' - why wipe the gear economy and then just inflate it again? People say that city rp can't be done with nebulous, I'd say the biggest reason is staff's insistence on easily gearing people and making living outside the actual RP hub easy to do.
because we would get absolutely steamrolled without kevlar and at least mp7s/equivalents
being forced to do obligatory s2k is annoying enough, doing it with no armor/shit weapons is even worse
this isnt an akm situation, it was levelling the playing field

Bio Junior

Nucleus
Nebulae
Guys don't panic, no one is keeping the AS VALs, they're gonna be traded in to the GTC to obtain more "normal" gear so we can give out to people, I think that's the best solution. If admins wish to intervene however, they can just remove them. I'm not stressed about it, nor are the other 2 people that have them, it was strictly for the mission

EDIT: Reminder GTC is mostly (if not totally) comprised of EVENT chars, trading purposes only, to reduce the inflation of such big weapons and what not.

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Nebulae
Again, people are just making assumptions.

Those AS Vals were meant to be reclaimed ICly yesterday but we had an internal issue that prevented it.

It will be handled.
i feel like this was kinda obvious, people should maybe think for a sec

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Of course the defenders are going to have heavily fortified positions, are you stupid? That's how defending works, but those fortifications don't have much use if the infiltrators are going to be @bring'd straight to their target.

And that's my entire point.

The reaction to those three guns in the face of a faction that wasn't hit by wipes and actively accepted extra foritfications (on top of you and Simman nebbing a post that actively critizied rebels getting spawned anything because it made the wipe pointless) felt like a pretty obvious attempt to complain about complaining, y'know? Especially with all of the goodies cops had yesterday.

I think its pretty obvious to tell why shit fell apart yesterday tbh;

1) Because of the worry of rebels overrunning the streets, most ways in got sealed off. A flank was never opened when rebels were clearly getting absolutely destroyed by the cops managing to hold it down (fair play, I'm not MAD at the cops for that lmao).

2) Because not enough cops died, there was no incentive for them to flag on OTA to help guard the upper level, leaving it to the two people up there.

3) One got sent away, leaving one guy to face the strike team.

4) So, cops hold the streets fine and rather than the attack from the teleporter being an "oh shit" moment from an overwhelmed garrison, you have a garrison who hasn't had any real issues lmao.

All in all I genuinely do not think anything was planned, ending wise. I just think the attack fell apart when they realized the extent of the Combine's ability to hold on and the "pitched battle" became on the rebels couldn't break through, which made the resulting narrative choice fall flat.

A. Vaher

I make events of varying quality
HL2 RP Administrator
Premium Member
Nebulae
Guys don't panic, no one is keeping the AS VALs, they're gonna be traded in to the GTC to obtain more "normal" gear so we can give out to people, I think that's the best solution. If admins wish to intervene however, they can just remove them. I'm not stressed about it, nor are the other 2 people that have them, it was strictly for the mission

EDIT: Reminder GTC is mostly (if not totally) comprised of EVENT chars, trading purposes only, to reduce the inflation of such big weapons and what not.
The treasure hoard grows.

In other words, I am dearly sorry for the issues that seem to have sprung from the use and subsequent assumption of AS VALs entering the econ this early into the Season. It is being handled, as has been previously stated.

They shall be shuffled out and replaced by rusty pipes and tarpaulin. Do not worry.

Simman102

the Scourge of Roleplay
Nebulae
wasn't hit by wipes
It was, though. We lost all non-standard guns and the G36 is gone from the arsenal. Not sure how OTA was affected, but I think OICW is elite-only now.
Simman nebbing a post that actively critizied rebels getting spawned anything because it made the wipe pointless
1) I don't know why you're trying to hold my given out ratings against me (I pray RabidMaggot93 doesn't find my Twitter)
2) I nebbed it because I think rebels should have organically grown to a 100/100 MP7s stage rather than stuff being spawned in, let alone AS VALs.
Because of the worry of rebels overrunning the streets, most ways in got sealed off.
From what I understand the propblocks were added in to give rebels free control of the production blocks (which worked - they steamrolled us until they reached the plaza where a proper clash happened).
Because not enough cops died, there was no incentive for them to flag on OTA
This rule was (allegedly) waived so we wouldn't even be allowed to.
leaving it to the two people up there.
I personally would have allocated more but I was assured it had defense systems, look at my first post in the thread.
All in all I genuinely do not think anything was planned, ending wise. I just think the attack fell apart when they realized the extent of the Combine's ability to hold on and the "pitched battle" became on the rebels couldn't break through, which made the resulting narrative choice fall flat.
I think the narrative "fell flat" when it was decided that the event will be hinged on rebels being teleported into a room unreachable for the Combine. We foresaw the possibility that we would have to take the Nexus back, but not that we would straight up be propblocked from it. The "teleport in" trope is just straight up boring, it's been abused since the very first map.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
The "teleport in" trope is just straight up boring, it's been abused since the very first map.

I mean, that sort of was the whole point of this entire iteration wasn't it? There's no way on the main server in iterations gone that rebels would have gotten to do cool science shit, or the Combine would have met advisors or started crazy cults or whatever.

Like I said, I legitimately don't blame you guys for being frustrated given how well you held out. But equally, you have to admit that its very difficult to make storming a foritifed spot like a Nexus 'fair' in a way that doesn't seem weighted either against the attackers or against the defenders. So there's option C; make the pitched battle one that stops the strike team getting reinforcements.

Had things gone to plan, those three would have been up against a lot more than a single Ordinal tbh and even then, as he says, he genuinely made a choice that had impact. If he hadn't, and they'd have fucked it, you guys would have held.

Provingmedusa

Scourge of Antlions
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
hose three would have been up against a lot more than a single Ordinal tbh and even then, as he says, he genuinely made a choice that had impact.
Now fully finding out that the narrative change was hinged on my decision makes me feel bad for everyone else in the Combine who couldn't do anything meaningful. Just feels like my fault that these arguments are happening.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Now fully finding out that the narrative change was hinged on my decision makes me feel bad for everyone else in the Combine who couldn't do anything meaningful. Just feels like my fault that these arguments are happening.

Nah, not at all.

My point is that in these events, you cannot plan for every scenario. You had no idea of the wider picture, you reacted on the moment, which is good. You couldn't have known, so it was organic.

You have nothing to feel guilty over. If not for those guys on the street, the rebels would have broken into the Nexus and worked their way up to the upper floor.

Andrew

Atom
Nebulae
literal dead silence in the staff vc as we were all saying 'it's all coming down to now'
whole world was on your shoulders and you didn't even know it
that's writing, baby

Bio Junior

Nucleus
Nebulae
Nobody's arguing that they shouldn't have an even chance, it's the fact that the strongest gun in the game got spawned in x3.
Also just to add to this, the weapons were spawned in (temporarily as myself and others said) and we weren't allowed to s2k, it was purely s2rp, so strong or not didn't have a factor in the fights.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
literal dead silence in the staff vc as we were all saying 'it's all coming down to now'
that's writing, baby

dont become an author in the near future

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
that's writing, baby
Did having the outcome of an entire event hinge on one player who's not even aware it's hinging on them really sound like a good idea at the time? Because when you say it out loud, I can't say it seems like a good idea

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Did having the outcome of an entire event hinge on one player who's not even aware it's hinging on them really sound like a good idea at the time? Because when you say it out loud, I can't say it seems like a good idea

this is akin to the Deus Ex Human Revolution "choose your ending" button sequence, except you're not told shit about what the buttons actually do