Pokemon GO

Jimbo

Molecule
Nebulae
either it's gonna fulfill it's intended purpose and force socially deprived folks from their homes or it's gonna end the world, either way, feel free to discuss it
Tz84EuC.png

Mendel

Aboriginal Indigenous American
Nebulae
ive read around 3 articles with stuff, no doubt there's more, but so far ive read
  • a kid hit by car while playing go
  • a kid mugged and stabbed while playing go
  • a kid found a dead body while playing go (wtf)
+ a lot of injuries like cuts and bruises from tripping, and apparently police in australia have had people come into the station because it's a place of interest lmao

D

Deleted member 225

kinda wanna try it out but i dont really feel like having a pokemon go notification pop up on my phone whilst at school

aperson

Molecule
Nebulae
kinda wanna try it out but i dont really feel like having a pokemon go notification pop up on my phone whilst at school
there's no notifications, haven't had a single one yet

Red Dress

Proton
Nebulae
ive read around 3 articles with stuff, no doubt there's more, but so far ive read
+ a lot of injuries like cuts and bruises from tripping, and apparently police in australia have had people come into the station because it's a place of interest lmao

Much like Ingress, people need to have common sense when playing. Some tip from a long time Ingress player:

WHY ARE THE SERVERS ALWAYS DOWN?!?

Pokemon Go is an online game going through a big initial release. But with any game release that requires servers, you never have enough servers for the initial demand. This is because you get a lot of early adopters who don't stay with the game, they just download it on day one and then never boot it again. If you bought enough servers to cater for these players, you end up wasting a lot of money in the long run. The smart (but frustrating for us players) thing to do is wait for the player numbers to stabilise and then slowly roll out more servers.

Cool, I've managed to log on. Wait, what? I have to go outside and walk around? For real?

Yes, you do. It's called Pokemon Go, as in Go Outside

Can I play this game only on WiFi/without data

Playing on free wifi hotspots will be challenging. Data is mandatory for this game

Can't I just use a GPS spoofer app or something?

You can but that doesn't mean you should. Spoofing is cheating and against the terms of service (TOS). It will likely get you banned by Niantic, resulting in you losing all your progress. But more importantly, you're not just cheating yourselves, but others. Go is effectively a MMIRL - Massively Multiplayer In Real Life - Game. Cheating cheapens the work of those who player for real. Spoofers in Ingress are known for ruining players actual hard work and are reviled.

This game EATS my battery

Yes, it does. Having the app active, using gps and rendering 3D objects is draining on your phone's battery. This about getting an external power pack, maybe something from the Anker rage, which is the most popular brand amongst ingress users

Can I play this game by bike/car/bus/train/plane/space shuttle?

First and foremost DON'T PLAY POKEMON GO WHILE DRIVING FOR THE LOVE OF ARCEUS When you are driving, you should be giving your undivided attention to that and not Pokemon Going/Ingressing/Texting/Whatever. Please be safe. Now you can get your passengers to help, but please see below about extra accounts.

As for bike, biking and Pokemon Go'ing is okay, but again, please pay attention to what you doing. This is quite common in ingress and is known as 'bikegressing'. You're unlikely to trigger the speed limiter.

The speed limiter is an action/time/distance check to see if you've exceeded the in-game speed check. Basically (in ingress, so presumably in Go), the game checks the time and distance between two actions, then works out the speed to do that. If the speed exceeds 30mph (I think, might be 30kmph), the game will 'soft ban' you. You won't be able to take any actions for an unspecified amount time.

This can make playing on the bus challenging (due to frequent start/stopping, it often doesn't trigger the limiter) and on the train impossible.

Update It appears the speed limiter is a lot more forgiving in go than it is in ingress, only restricting egg incubation. All other actions seem possible even when you've exceeded the limiter. Also, it appears to be around 15kmph, not my original stated 30kmph

Why is this place a pokestop/not a pokestop? Who do I talk to about getting it changed?

All pokestop and gyms locations are based on ingress portal locations. This data was generated by user submission during the first few years of ingress and is almost completely community sourced. Due to increased player numbers, the portal submission rates became too much for Niantic to moderate and so they disabled location submission. This may come back in the future, but it's unknown if it'll come to Pokemon Go, or will just be an ingress feature.

Remember that the portals in ingress are supposed to be locations of 'cultural, historical, artistic, community or religious importance'. So the fact that so many churches are pokestops/gyms is not part of some insidious plot. It's just the nature of portal submission from ingress.

I have a pokestop/gym I can access from my bed/sofa/office, is this cheating?

No, and you're very lucky. These are known in ingress as 'couch portals' or 'home portals' and can provide many resources. This would be a good location to deploy a lure module.

Someone just shouted at me for trespassing on their lawn/drive/bedroom/secret government facility, but I was just trying to get a pikachu

Fundamental rule of any AR game - use judgement and be aware of your surroundings. Pokestops are not supposed to be on private property or anywhere that is dangerous to get to, but sometimes they are. If you find a dangerous or otherwise inaccessible stop, leave it be. You don't have the right to access any stop.

Someone keeps taking my gym, how do I make them stop?

Golden principle of Pokemon Go, it's not, nor will it ever be your gym. Possession of any location is fleeting, a mere poke-moment in the passage of time. This game is based around the challenge and back and forth of competitive play between the gyms. If you keep losing control of a specific gym, use that to motivate you to become a better train.

Note: This feeling is a lot worse in Ingress, where losing a portal means you've lost an amount of resources and potentially had a multi-day operation ruined. At least in Go you get your pokemon back.

Could I just make two accounts on different teams and alternate to grind my leve
l

This is again against the TOS and is known as 'multiboxing' in ingress. It's a form of cheating and once again, ruins the experience for others

What if my SO/parent/guardian/spirit animal plays on the other team. Can we not play together?

This is in a grey area. As long as you are both playing legitimately and not 'win trading', you might be okay. But generally, if you want to play with someone actively, think about being on the same team.

Is it okay to approach other players when I'm out playing?

Exercise caution and be sensible. Some people don't like being approached by strangers, even in what is ostensibly a multiplayer game. As with anything regarding games out in the real world, always be sensible and think about the consequences of your actions.

Is this game safe? I'm scared of the real world

This game is only as dangerous as you let it be; always be aware of your surroundings and basic health and safety.
  • Wear sunscreen, sunburn hurts
  • Wear a good pair of walking boots, preferably waterproof, blisters hurt and smelly feet suck
  • Look both ways before crossing the street!
  • Don't go into dangerous areas
  • If you're going to go out at night, make sure your visible
  • If you're a minor, take an adult with you
  • If you're an adult, be aware of how it looks if you're loitering around a park at with your phone held up
  • Carrying a bottle of water is always sensible
  • I kid you not, having a paper map can be useful. You don't want you battery to die for you to realise that you're lost and you don't have google maps.

I hope this helps. I've been playing Ingress for years and have a good few portals approved. I'm enjoying Go and am looking forward to seeing more people coming into the amazing world of AR gaming.

Last edited:

Dr.Towers

Nucleus
Nebulae
It's funny (it's not) how the entire point of this game was to make children get out more but mainly highlighted how the outside world is a dangerous and inhospitable place

Numbers

ok
Nebulae
pokemon go away

tbh it'd happen if pokemon was in real life.

think about it these fucking teenagers go die in a cave to catch and enslave them all.

time we bring something new to the market folks.

Pedophile

Gotta fuck them all!

Reactions: List

Chicken

Nihilanth
B A N N E D
Nebulae
AR function doesnt work :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Deleted member 906

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Pokemon GO is the eater of worlds. Consuming those foolish enough to wander into the unknown

external

Nucleus
Nebulae
my dad got a installer instead of waiting

hes renaming all his pokemon offensive terms but doesn't feel hooked enough to go to my school library and explain how he's just trying to catch them all

Nebulae
my dad got a installer instead of waiting

hes renaming all his pokemon offensive terms but doesn't feel hooked enough to go to my school library and explain how he's just trying to catch them all
Your dad plays pokemon wtf how young is he?