Serious [Review] Art of The Week

dvn

Atom
Nebulae
AOTW 21 of 52, 2021

Two fifths through the year already, how crazy is that?
Was my birthday this week, it's been good

These are pretty neato, my favourite of the two is the latter. So I'll focus my feedback on the first one: the mountain of skulls and the guy on the top is super cool, like the details and so on. Which is also my only gripe, like, it is drawn or spray painted onto this crazy degraded wall. Which makes me think that maybe both images would benefit from a little wear-and-tear on the black paint which could age it a bit? Perhaps give it some more character? I do think maybe the text on the first one could have been split up a little more and not so bunch together, but the font choice and position is otherwise pretty good. Great work here man - if you made these PNGs there's no reason why these couldn't be on the server. Of course though, it is up to staff.

Waaaaaaaaaah I think it's too dark mang. Like, nigh time is cool but literally can't see a darn thing in any of this almost. Doesn't need to be much brighter, you'll see in some drawings like this that at night time they just wash over stuff with a dark blue usually. Either that, or I think maybe elements of the image shoulda been brighter to illuminate other pieces - like the coffee signs, or maybe a streetlight or two just to shed some light on the environment. I think you should give this another go :^)

You're right, it is good - which means I get to be very picky. Starting off with: Who the hell runs down stairs like that? Not me, I'd fall forward and die - when I think of running down stairs people tend to either leap down steps or side step their way down with their arms close to their chest. (Example 1, Example 2). Other than that, the props and effects are pretty cool - maybe if the light hitting the mans head came more from above it could look more dramatic. Great work here, man

This is cool, I like black and white ruined kind of images with harsh lighting. BUT, in this case - kinda difficult to understand the angle don't you think? Like first two characters on the left are pretty cool, but he ones going to the right confuse me quite a lot. I wanna see MORE, doesn't have to be centre stage spotlight, but maybe some ambient moonlight or something could have helped that. And with that extra lighting, maybe expose some more of what is in the dark with props or other characters. Just some ideas for you - keep it up!

Judging by the light this must be a Geonosian deployment, and the bloom on the armor is a super cool effect with the depth of field involved. Overall the main character in this image is the lighting, and its best suited to the clone at the far end. Don't really have much to add to this one, clearly the soldiers are a bit copy and pasted - maybe some individual nudges to arms and such could help in differentiating or giving some character. Otherwise there is nothing here which sticks out except the lighting and the character at the end imo - still, cool work :^)

Hi Bill, welcome to Nebulous and Art of the Week.
Some great work here with a lot of consideration for light and how things are exposed. My favourite detail is the trees that cannot be seen which are still casting shadows on the grass slope leading up to the house on the right. Gives a real consideration for the whole environment which the camera maybe cannot see. If I had to add anything myself, would've maybe been a little smidge of more light in the house just to get every detail possible - instead of being pitch black through the window but that's just me. Soldiers are great and the little blood details add a bit of narrative too - to really nit pick maybe something was needed in the gap after the first soldier from the left. Maybe a helicopter or plane? Buildings off the distance maybe? Idk, some ideas there. Great work.

You've got some solid main lighting this time which is good, and the amount of things to focus on like the helmet, goggles, weapon and so on is a plus. Maybe just needed something to fill up that space instead of rocks, like a tent, or a truck, something. Given the wider angle it would be good to fill up some of that space with something - otherwise maybe it would've been worth cropping the image to just the left portion and having a portrait.
-

@ZeroPants gets the bold for his cool graffiti designs
mfFilFv.png

Uqk2oPo.png

-

hope my feedback was useful
have a good one

danny pls turn your brightness up
we can all see the dark stuff perfectly

Reactions: List

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
Thank you.

I tend to use f.lux for my eyes, and since I'm colourblind I try to use more bolder colours.

Hopefully other than that, it's alright.

Danny

Visual Powerhouse
Nebulae
Thank you.

I tend to use f.lux for my eyes, and since I'm colourblind I try to use more bolder colours.

Hopefully other than that, it's alright.
My screen brightness is totally adequate for my liking
However I am sorry to hear you're colour blind but how am I meant to know that's why you do x y and z

Gave you the opinion you posted for idk what else to say ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

edit: sorry if this post looks ag didn’t mean for it to

Last edited:

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
Not sorry

My screen brightness is totally adequate for my liking
I am sorry to hear you're colour blind but how am I meant to know that's why you do x y and z

Gave you the opinion you posted for idk what else to say ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Oh I'm not annoyed or unhappy, I'm giving a little info is all.

I appreciate the feedback and criticism.

ZeroPants

Electron
Nebulae
AOTW 21 of 52, 2021

Two fifths through the year already, how crazy is that?
Was my birthday this week, it's been good

These are pretty neato, my favourite of the two is the latter. So I'll focus my feedback on the first one: the mountain of skulls and the guy on the top is super cool, like the details and so on. Which is also my only gripe, like, it is drawn or spray painted onto this crazy degraded wall. Which makes me think that maybe both images would benefit from a little wear-and-tear on the black paint which could age it a bit? Perhaps give it some more character? I do think maybe the text on the first one could have been split up a little more and not so bunch together, but the font choice and position is otherwise pretty good. Great work here man - if you made these PNGs there's no reason why these couldn't be on the server. Of course though, it is up to staff.
-

@ZeroPants gets the bold for his cool graffiti designs
mfFilFv.png

Uqk2oPo.png

-

hope my feedback was useful
have a good one

Woah! Thanks!

I just recently started using photoshop again and wanted to make something interesting involving half life

I made it with pretty much only stock images I found online, the two guys climbing was originally from an ad for mountain climbing and the tree was just a normal picture of a tree.

I didn't make the skull pile and citadel myself, they were stock art I found and darkened.

the guy on top of the skull pile is also a heavily darkened Gordon freeman holding a crowbar

I wanted the images to look like someone just took a bucket of white paint and dumped it onto a wall to use as a background for art, and the paint would wear away over time, leading to the borders being all worn down.

It was fun to make these, though I am stumped as to what to make next

fabevil

Proton
Premium Member
Nebulae
AOTW 21 of 52, 2021
You're right, it is good - which means I get to be very picky. Starting off with: Who the hell runs down stairs like that? Not me, I'd fall forward and die - when I think of running down stairs people tend to either leap down steps or side step their way down with their arms close to their chest. (Example 1, Example 2). Other than that, the props and effects are pretty cool - maybe if the light hitting the mans head came more from above it could look more dramatic. Great work here, man

have a good one
Ayy, man. Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it. If I do another artwork featuring a guy running down the stairs, I'll be sure to follow your advice.
Just because I am so kind, also, here's another piece of artwork I crafted the day after my submission:
unknown.png

D

Deleted member 5162

IjF42l.png

It felt soooo weird to spawn a tiny piece of M4A1 and turn it into a fully-fledged weapon. It's a slightly painful process though
Never have done tacticool posters, so this is my first one. Also Steam Workshop was down, so I couldn't download EFT Operators lol​

fabevil

Proton
Premium Member
Nebulae
IjF42l.png

It felt soooo weird to spawn a tiny piece of M4A1 and turn it into a fully-fledged weapon. It's a slightly painful process though
Never have done tacticool posters, so this is my first one. Also Steam Workshop was down, so I couldn't download EFT Operators lol​
OH, man, this one's great.

D

Deleted member 1974

imgonnakillyou000001.png

First project in S2FM and Source Filmmaker by extension. I'd love feedback and criticism :smiley:

hazbinhotel000001.png

Second project!
unknown.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Danny

Visual Powerhouse
Nebulae
AOTW 22 of 52, 2021

I was not quite sure what I was looking at--at first but then I realised it's a cool big skull or something after tilting my head to the right a bit. I think that that positioning of all the little set pieces are super cool and really thought about - but you are right it's just the lighting of the whole thing which doesn't sell it very much. Like there are some weird shadows going on with the floor where some of the rocks are on the left. Maybe the gold could've done with being a bit paler too? Just to match the floor a bit more? Could've sold that as soft reflection perhaps. The skull has great detail though and I like the spider on top of it. Cool cool cool

I like this a lot, like there's a real scene that has been thought up on made here. Albeit a little complicated with a few things going on - it sells a busy city vibe which I like. With these two guys at a balcony(?) sharing some kinda conversation, the different facials make it seem like they're about to disagree on something. Got the suits in the back doing some labour and the drone flying about - super busy super cool. The positioning and posing is alright, I think maybe you just needed some more things in the background - like their is a lot of trash which has been laid out very intentionally, maybe could have built on that with an extra overflowing dumpster somewhere in the back? Maybe bringing that guy on the phone/radio forward and put it behind him against the wall. Maybe the windows could be boarded up or something? What I'm tryna say is, the meat and the body of the scene with all the characters are great, maybe the background just needed some more than just loose bits of garbage? Great work

This is great! So great that it means I have to be nit picky about it. The positioning of the models and how they're posted are pretty good, the environment the characters are in looks fab as well. I think that I personally would've added in some more shadow work around the guy by the tree since it looks kinda cut and put in, but that's all I got for that part. Behind the man who is sat down, there is some leaves or hedge thing which I think could have looked better if they were raised up a little more. I say this because it looks like they are hanging from thin air but if they started off the screen it could have looked like tree coverage perhaps. Maybe you could have added in some small details too like a loose ammo box, binoculars, camping stuff... just as ideas to put something in the environment a little more. Great work mang

These are both super cool!!!!! The second one is deffo an improvement on the first with the added scene and generally just better posing of the soldier moving forward. You really nailed the posture with how they're holding the weapon as well. The lighting is super cool and effective with how it cuts the whole soldier out from the background. However, the blood splatter is kinda whack don't you think? Just looks a little harsh compared to how bright the rest of the background is perhaps? Maybe it's just me, overall - great image here :^)

Some cool little poses here, interesting angle on the second one but I think the first one sticks out more so I'mma base my feedback on that one. Looks kind of like a tellatle game of L.a. noire inspecting angle which really sells the investigative scene with the over shoulder angle on the dead cop. Speaking of, I think maybe their legs could have done with some more work? Doesn't look like a convincing way to die to me personally so maybe a more natural laying body could've benefited the image perhaps? Just some ideas, maybe some more crumbs of stuff around as well just to build on the scene. Lighting is super well balanced though, keep it up

Environment and lighting is pretty cool, especially the positioning of the soldiers. If it were me though I might have tightened the angle a bit and moved the closest soldier so they are sat just before the doorway going outside and maybe build some more on top of the logs? Like maybe a sandbag or two up against the rocks or more supports, not sure if there are props out there for it but maybe a camo net of some kind as well to give this a real recon kinda look. So yeah, maybe a tighter angle, moving that leftmost soldier forward a bit, then building a bit more on the recon post - otherwise all the other details here are super cool :^)
-

Big bold this week goes to @Antloin, pretty cool stuff here
Q8xVCEy.jpg

-

Hope the feedback was useful
ttyl

D

Deleted member 5162

AOTW 22 of 52, 2021

I was not quite sure what I was looking at--at first but then I realised it's a cool big skull or something after tilting my head to the right a bit. I think that that positioning of all the little set pieces are super cool and really thought about - but you are right it's just the lighting of the whole thing which doesn't sell it very much. Like there are some weird shadows going on with the floor where some of the rocks are on the left. Maybe the gold could've done with being a bit paler too? Just to match the floor a bit more? Could've sold that as soft reflection perhaps. The skull has great detail though and I like the spider on top of it. Cool cool cool

I like this a lot, like there's a real scene that has been thought up on made here. Albeit a little complicated with a few things going on - it sells a busy city vibe which I like. With these two guys at a balcony(?) sharing some kinda conversation, the different facials make it seem like they're about to disagree on something. Got the suits in the back doing some labour and the drone flying about - super busy super cool. The positioning and posing is alright, I think maybe you just needed some more things in the background - like their is a lot of trash which has been laid out very intentionally, maybe could have built on that with an extra overflowing dumpster somewhere in the back? Maybe bringing that guy on the phone/radio forward and put it behind him against the wall. Maybe the windows could be boarded up or something? What I'm tryna say is, the meat and the body of the scene with all the characters are great, maybe the background just needed some more than just loose bits of garbage? Great work

This is great! So great that it means I have to be nit picky about it. The positioning of the models and how they're posted are pretty good, the environment the characters are in looks fab as well. I think that I personally would've added in some more shadow work around the guy by the tree since it looks kinda cut and put in, but that's all I got for that part. Behind the man who is sat down, there is some leaves or hedge thing which I think could have looked better if they were raised up a little more. I say this because it looks like they are hanging from thin air but if they started off the screen it could have looked like tree coverage perhaps. Maybe you could have added in some small details too like a loose ammo box, binoculars, camping stuff... just as ideas to put something in the environment a little more. Great work mang

These are both super cool!!!!! The second one is deffo an improvement on the first with the added scene and generally just better posing of the soldier moving forward. You really nailed the posture with how they're holding the weapon as well. The lighting is super cool and effective with how it cuts the whole soldier out from the background. However, the blood splatter is kinda whack don't you think? Just looks a little harsh compared to how bright the rest of the background is perhaps? Maybe it's just me, overall - great image here :^)

Some cool little poses here, interesting angle on the second one but I think the first one sticks out more so I'mma base my feedback on that one. Looks kind of like a tellatle game of L.a. noire inspecting angle which really sells the investigative scene with the over shoulder angle on the dead cop. Speaking of, I think maybe their legs could have done with some more work? Doesn't look like a convincing way to die to me personally so maybe a more natural laying body could've benefited the image perhaps? Just some ideas, maybe some more crumbs of stuff around as well just to build on the scene. Lighting is super well balanced though, keep it up

Environment and lighting is pretty cool, especially the positioning of the soldiers. If it were me though I might have tightened the angle a bit and moved the closest soldier so they are sat just before the doorway going outside and maybe build some more on top of the logs? Like maybe a sandbag or two up against the rocks or more supports, not sure if there are props out there for it but maybe a camo net of some kind as well to give this a real recon kinda look. So yeah, maybe a tighter angle, moving that leftmost soldier forward a bit, then building a bit more on the recon post - otherwise all the other details here are super cool :^)
-

Big bold this week goes to @Antloin, pretty cool stuff here
Q8xVCEy.jpg

-

ttyl

thank you : )

fabevil

Proton
Premium Member
Nebulae
AOTW 22 of 52, 2021

ttyl

Thanks for the feedback. I feel like with these advices, I can get better and better with my artwork. Maybe I'll be doing another one today, since I'm feeling kind of funny today. The history behind this pose was just "Oh, I found a cool map on the workshop with a Beta vibe" and decided to work on it. Originally, it was supposed to be something totally different, then I decided to put a citizen leaning on the wall of a bridge (not a balcony, sorry) and gradually added more on top of it until it became the finished product. This pose was also a test for how to improve my lighting techniques. I felt pretty satisfied with my earlier artwork's lighting but I decided to go for something different here and I believe it really set the tone for what I was going for.

fabevil

Proton
Premium Member
Nebulae
357ADDF978086BC0E8AF31AD4F48C71B2AD4B336

It's here, finally. My first scenebuild, using Scene builder. Again, I decided to be experimental here and wanted to test out new light features such as Rim Ligthing and Glow effects (for the grenade).
Enjoy!