• Fuck riot games

• Nah dude evil white men!!

Results are only viewable after voting.

swagile

Atom
Nebulae
I fall asleep watching people play MOBAs, especially LoL

ASMR is good for the soul

Women (and trans people) are marginalized already as it is in the real world. In the "gaming world", it's even worse. It makes a lot of sense to offer women and non-binary individuals, many of whom face discrimination while playing, a place of their own. That's why you have women only spaces elsewhere. I don't necessarily think it's an issue on its own to have a women only place for them to do whatever they came to do. Instead of the outrage this produced, it would be more effective to have a conversation about sexism as a whole within the gaming culture. Social rights and justice seems to be hitting a fever pitch lately. I think it's more a sign of the times that things need to change, rather than "outrage culture" or toxic feminism.

meanwhile men only spaces are being invaded by women and/or outright banned

aY5Q4R3J_400x400.jpg

Reactions: List

bubblegum

you should see me in a crown
Nebulae
meanwhile men only spaces are being invaded by women and/or outright banned

Men, in a lot of aspects, get the rough end of the stick because they are not very marginalized, especially white men. It's rough. But, regardless, it doesn't mean women only spaces are invalid.

aperson

Molecule
Nebulae
Am I right in saying this all started because it was reported that women were unfairly treated in the work space in Riot, and then in reply to these accusations they banned men from their GamesCon panel or something?

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
Am I right in saying this all started because it was reported that women were unfairly treated in the work space in Riot, and then in reply to these accusations they banned men from their GamesCon panel or something?
Not exactly

They got called out for sexist behavior in the workplace in some kotaku article so in response they have workshops designed specifically for women or non-binary people or whatever; somewhere it being said that men can't attend

I think the focus is more on the behavior of the employees towards the community rather than the action itself since they seem like giant assholes to me.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Yeah the fact they had these workshops isn't the issue for most and I don't think thats a big deal at all really.

The fact they announced them on the day of the con and weren't going to be hosting these panels for anyone else except women/trans/nonbinary folks (when a lot of people had paid to come to their stuff) is the issue. There wasn't another workshop for everyone about these things.

Then when people got annoyed that they hadn't been notified/couldn't attend certain not so famous employees started lashing out at the community and twisting it on them despite the fact the community weren't the ones under fire.

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
Women (and trans people) are marginalized already as it is in the real world. In the "gaming world", it's even worse. It makes a lot of sense to offer women and non-binary individuals, many of whom face discrimination while playing, a place of their own. That's why you have women only spaces elsewhere. I don't necessarily think it's an issue on its own to have a women only place for them to do whatever they came to do. Instead of the outrage this produced, it would be more effective to have a conversation about sexism as a whole within the gaming culture. Social rights and justice seems to be hitting a fever pitch lately. I think it's more a sign of the times that things need to change, rather than "outrage culture" or toxic feminism.

Matching discrimination with discrimination solves nothing, however. If anything, it rewards an 'us versus them' mindset and promotes the belief that people are entitled to shun who they want - clearly not something desirable when it spirals into the safe-spaceism bullshit running rife in certain circles and warps culture around based on the whims of whatever 'norm' is popular at the moment.

bubblegum

Nebulae
Matching discrimination with discrimination solves nothing, however. If anything, it rewards an 'us versus them' mindset and promotes the belief that people are entitled to shun who they want - clearly not something desirable when it spirals into the safe-spaceism bullshit running rife in certain circles and warps culture around based on the whims of whatever 'norm' is popular at the moment.

I don't necessarily think it's discrimination nor resorting to tribalism. Hosting an event primarily for people who feel like they are powerless and persecuted in a hobby they enjoy makes sense. It apparently wasn't handled very well, since they didn't host additional workshops for men. I think their heart was in the right place though with the idea.

Angel

she/her/they nonbinary transfem
Nebulae
I don't necessarily think it's discrimination nor resorting to tribalism. Hosting an event primarily for people who feel like they are powerless and persecuted in a hobby they enjoy makes sense. It apparently wasn't handled very well, since they didn't host additional workshops for men. I think their heart was in the right place though with the idea.
Youre very naive lmao

Either way, descriminating to stop descrimination is something so retardes i am surprised people can even support it.

Especially because to say women/non binaries get harassed in the game is completely wrong.

maga

Proton
B A N N E D
Nebulae
do women get actively harassed more in videogames than everyone else

like actual harassment not just being called a fucking retard in the chat

bubblegum

Nebulae
Especially because to say women/non binaries get harassed in the game is completely wrong.

Yes. Whether or not you agree or disagree with Riot Games' actions recently, it would be very dishonest to deny that men dominate online video game and the culture is toxic those who aren't men.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/8hvmih/the_girl_problem_an_open_letter_to_the_overwatch/

I want to refrain from offering personal anecdotes, but my experience has been similar to the person who posted that thread. I've been in many FPS games where people have been nasty and sexist.

swagile

Atom
Nebulae

honestly, its just like in real life

most people don't give a shit, but sometimes you get a shitter who's like "OMG A GAMER GIRL!!!" when a woman speaks in a video game

sometimes its a girl acting cutesy and you have to tell them to shut the fuck up and play the game

just like IRL

its just more pronounced since gaming is such a huge medium + its seen as a "guy" thing

Angel

Nebulae
Yes. Whether or not you agree or disagree with Riot Games' actions recently, it would be very dishonest to deny that men dominate online video game and the culture is toxic those who aren't men.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/8hvmih/the_girl_problem_an_open_letter_to_the_overwatch/

I want to refrain from offering personal anecdotes, but my experience has been similar to the person who posted that thread. I've been in many FPS games where people have been nasty and sexist.
Never denied that the majority of Online video games are populated by men (even though feminist websites try to claim it's a 48-52 split (lul)
Don't put words in my mouth, to begin with.

Secondly,
I don't comment on games I have no idea about.

However I do know about League.
Female players do not get more harassment in League, they get the exact same.
There are millions of players, you never get matched against the same people in ranked - and there is no voice chat.
There is no way to identify that someone is or isn't a girl.

As for your personal experience... I have no reason to believe you're a woman, so I'm also not going to give a shit about it, especially because this 'women get more harassment' thing is a bit bullshit innit. I don't exist in saloon and other bullshit publication or 'bullyhunter' echo chambers, so my brain hasn't been infected with that.

Especially because psychological studies indicate that the scarcity of women usually leads to better treatment of them by men than the reverse, and I'd rather believe those than some crappy article on a crappy publication about 'muh harassment', especially because I have seen multiple anecdotal evidence, in this community.

D

Deleted member 5658

Honestly, I just try not to think about the bull-crap that happens within the community in the background and try to enjoy myself. Ignorance is bliss. We all know people like making a mountain out of a molehill so I just think more people should stop engaging when people are trying to add fuel to the fire.

swagile

Atom
Nebulae
Never denied that the majority of Online video games are populated by men (even though feminist websites try to claim it's a 48-52 split (lul)
Don't put words in my mouth, to begin with.

Secondly,
I don't comment on games I have no idea about.

There are millions of players, you never get matched against the same people in ranked - and there is no voice chat.

As for your personal experience... I have no reason to believe you're a woman, so I'm also not going to give a shit about it, especially because this 'women get more harassment' thing is a bit bullshit innit. I don't exist in saloon and other bullshit publication or 'bullyhunter' echo chambers, so my brain hasn't been infected with that.

Especially because psychological studies indicate that the scarcity of women usually leads to better treatment of them by men than the reverse, and I'd rather believe those than some crappy article on a crappy publication about 'muh harassment', especially because I have seen multiple anecdotal evidence, in this community.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...201302/what-is-scarce-becomes-very-attractive

this is the scarcity theory in play

look no further than the cosplay community; 6's, 7's, and the rare 8 all made up to be a 10 in the eyes of men in the cosplay community because of the scarcity of such women, and why a lot of women have made a fortune off of cosplay, due to nerdy guys with low prospects for female attention and huge wallets due to disposable income (teens), or high paying tech jobs

Bronn

Atom
Nebulae

League has a voice chat

VO.0.jpg

Angel

Nebulae
League has a voice chat

VO.0.jpg
Voice chat got added a few patches ago and its for parties. Thats friends. Its not for soloQ. Since were talking about constant and sistemagic harassement and that almost all articles about it are prior to voice chat, that is entirely irrelevant.

Edit; im going to assume you just googled 'league voice chat'. In essence, steam also has a voice chat - you can 'call' your friends

From the article you took that picture from
Before you understand what this voice chat is, it’s important to understand what it isn’t. This is not a way to talk to randos in your game. You will not match into your ranked game and get flamed because you don’t opt in to voice chat with your team. That is, unless some rude-dude drops a Discord link in chat.

Last edited: