Suggestion shift the server focus away from s2k megabattles on this map, and make the combine more RP-oriented (for now)

OneClassyBanana

kilroy was here
Nebulae
S2RP will never be viable long-term for so long as people prioritize their own character’s abilities or survival over creating a compelling story/scene for all those present.

It’s far from impossible to use it more frequently in the future, contrary to the generally pessimistic consensus, but that’s a mentality that needs to change first and foremost before it can be adopted regularly.

Numbers

ok
Nebulae
S2RP is good if it's time managed correctly, otherwise it's a slog, scenarios usually dragging on far longer than they should.
the sheer amount of admin effort and coordination just to make it go right is astounding in itself, it's good for special occasions, but repeatedly doing it as the norm is just gonna strain admins

Andrew

Atom
Nebulae
the sheer amount of admin effort and coordination just to make it go right is astounding in itself, it's good for special occasions, but repeatedly doing it as the norm is just gonna strain admins
correct
i was going to say it earlier but s2rp has a cooldown to it

Reactions: List

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

introduce TTRPG/Wargame rules to it

concrete, referrable rules that people can point to and go "you have to play it like this"

if written well enough, admins don't even need to oversee S2RP beyond specifically intervening when someone verifiably ignores the written rules

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
why not use this map as a test run for an S2RP focused system?

if things don't pan out well and it gets really shitty to not only manage but also partake in, then switch back to the S2K model and such

but for this map it seriously benefits from S2RP, or at least condensing where S2K will take place

Nebulae
why not use this map as a test run for an S2RP focused system?

if things don't pan out well and it gets really shitty to not only manage but also partake in, then switch back to the S2K model and such

but for this map it seriously benefits from S2RP, or at least condensing where S2K will take place

we just had the hospital shootout today so this kinda happened

and as the guy who GMed it, let me tell you, while im happy that players had fun, i will not be doing this again for a while

s2rp needs to be exclusively small scale players-wise and even then it is so stupidly easy to interrupt if you don't chuck everyone into an admin box because you have a bunch of players standing still for 30 minutes to an hour and all the chance in the world for any outsider to bump into them and gat them on the spot

rob

Nebulae

and as the guy who GMed it, let me tell you, i will not be doing this again for a while

s2rp needs to be exclusively small scale players-wise and even then it is so stupidly easy to interrupt if you don't chuck everyone into an admin box because you have a bunch of players standing still for 30 minutes to an hour and all the chance in the world for any outsider to bump into them and gat them on the spot
partly my fault for how it escalated because i was tasked with making sure no rebel entered the hospital but when the entire server showed up i just said screw it and let them all in 😭

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae

and as the guy who GMed it, let me tell you, while im happy that players had fun, i will not be doing this again for a while

then let's move it to quality over quantity

less big scale combat encounters like that, but a focus on S2RP in them.

also ties in with my idea earlier in this suggestion with giving OTA more RP and S2K opportunities that are more condensed, with the OTA and CPs working to establish outposts in the city rather than take one location for an event and then storm through via the rooftops

STUCK IN A CAKE

Molecule
Nebulae
introduce TTRPG/Wargame rules to it

concrete, referrable rules that people can point to and go "you have to play it like this"

if written well enough, admins don't even need to oversee S2RP beyond specifically intervening when someone verifiably ignores the written rules

Trust me, I've played on closed servers with friends where we've implemented TTRPG rules into GMod Helix. With admin set stats that factor into skill checks via a 'Roll under' system - it was a great, semi-automated system and it worked well. But try to apply that to a server with 60 odd different people with multiple different characters, timezones and such - it'd be a nightmare just to manage let alone play.

I'd love it, but I wouldn't want to burden someone with the task of making it work large scale.

deathwolf

I AM SPIDERMAN, GRIST LIES! I AM HIM REALLY! ﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
what s2k happened because of wearing gas masks that rebel is stupid, I was happy to follow the no gas mask rule the only reason.i started wearing mine is because literally everyone else was

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
S2RP is/was the norm on TnB for a lot of years and let me tell you, even in a community where player respect was incredibly high compared to most and S2RP could self-govern there were frequent headaches as both a player and as staff overseeing it.

Nobody wants to lose their character and thus lose the time they've put into RPing in that particular scene, even more so when there's a perma-loss of character on the table (not that there is here, of course). Arguments over people not respecting what they were being shot at with or powergaming were so common you just expected it.

Players generally want everyone else to be the one that dies so they don't have to.

Even when people point to Toride as an example of it working flawlessly that's only because the 'main' combat went well, where most of the attention was. That wasn't the case for the entire battlefield.

Lewis!

フローラルの専門店
Nebulae
The most fun I've ever had with a role play combat system was a server using a stat based roll system which had various outcomes based on your weapon, stats and buffs/debunks.

Worked well on the small and large scale and would have made the hospital event run 10x smoother

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
S2RP is/was the norm on TnB for a lot of years and let me tell you, even in a community where player respect was incredibly high compared to most and S2RP could self-govern there were frequent headaches as both a player and as staff overseeing it.

Nobody wants to lose their character and thus lose the time they've put into RPing in that particular scene, even more so when there's a perma-loss of character on the table (not that there is here, of course). Arguments over people not respecting what they were being shot at with or powergaming were so common you just expected it.

Players generally want everyone else to be the one that dies so they don't have to.

Even when people point to Toride as an example of it working flawlessly that's only because the 'main' combat went well, where most of the attention was. That wasn't the case for the entire battlefield.
For this element, earlier I mentioned it but I don't think I highlighted it as specifically as I meant to.

In S2RP, don't make kills an automatic PK. In those moments, the gunplay should be quick and action-oriented; a kevlar vest might protect against a few extra bullets, but if your only line of defence for your head is a gasmask and a beanie then you're going down hard. same applies to civil protection; those hoods and masks aren't going to keep you safe from much, headshots will definitely take you down quick and easy. incorporate that into a roll system, and in those S2RP moments it's definitely possible for a shootout to occur where it really is up to the luck of the dice or the ingenuity/strategy/planning of the sides to see who wins.

PKs are more appropriate in full lonewolf settings. if you've ran into enemy territory on your own, and you get shot and killed, then your character was undeniably killed. doesn't matter what story you wanted to tell, you lonewolfed and it was undeniably you who got shot. but in a group situation, maybe 3 or 4 of you go in a squad, then yeah, if one of you dies in that S2RP shootout then maybe it was just another squad who went out and died, after all it's a war and people live and die.

really this probably deserves its own suggestion thread due to the huge nature of it, but changing the PK rules to make S2RP situations not result in PKs except if someone lonewolfs or the S2RP came about specifically with the intent of killing a specific character, with valid reason (or more simply, with PK auths) would hugely tie into and support my focus with this suggestion.

Andrew

Atom
Nebulae
For this element, earlier I mentioned it but I don't think I highlighted it as specifically as I meant to.

In S2RP, don't make kills an automatic PK. In those moments, the gunplay should be quick and action-oriented; a kevlar vest might protect against a few extra bullets, but if your only line of defence for your head is a gasmask and a beanie then you're going down hard. same applies to civil protection; those hoods and masks aren't going to keep you safe from much, headshots will definitely take you down quick and easy. incorporate that into a roll system, and in those S2RP moments it's definitely possible for a shootout to occur where it really is up to the luck of the dice or the ingenuity/strategy/planning of the sides to see who wins.

PKs are more appropriate in full lonewolf settings. if you've ran into enemy territory on your own, and you get shot and killed, then your character was undeniably killed. doesn't matter what story you wanted to tell, you lonewolfed and it was undeniably you who got shot. but in a group situation, maybe 3 or 4 of you go in a squad, then yeah, if one of you dies in that S2RP shootout then maybe it was just another squad who went out and died, after all it's a war and people live and die.

really this probably deserves its own suggestion thread due to the huge nature of it, but changing the PK rules to make S2RP situations not result in PKs except if someone lonewolfs or the S2RP came about specifically with the intent of killing a specific character, with valid reason (or more simply, with PK auths) would hugely tie into and support my focus with this suggestion.
s2rp doesn't end in pk's

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
s2rp doesn't end in pk's
outstanding

though i think some people might still think it does, as i did. probably a clarification to the rules would be in better order for it

but, all in all, i think:
shifting more to an S2RP focus with wider scale battles like that being done less frequently but with more oversight and attention
keeping the S2K locations more limited so that it doesn't rage through the entire city
giving OTA and CPs more opportunities to RP and S2K via the IC establishment of Outposts throughout the city (being built with a minimum player count/NG count) that OTA can build, undercover CPs can report back to, and both can defend in S2K
possibly establishing better rules to cover the S2RP system so that it isn't interrupted as much and doesn't cause as much hassle to staff & players (maybe done through either a blunt and honest "[AREA] is in S2RP, timescale accordingly" /event'd or having specific rules for S2RP engagements be written up)
possibly also establishing rules or a chart that allows for specific /roll additions/takeaways so certain weapons, armour, conditions (i.e. injured, on drugs, etc.), and character types (i.e. OTA, Synths, Vortigaunts, Xenians) have different bonuses or debuffs in S2RP

would be good to integrate into the server, mostly just needing staff to communicate with factions to get these elements established and headstaff to write in the rules & the chart.

worst case scenario, the rules end up being terrible and next map we switch over without them. but at least for this map, this city, having these in-place will make the RP experience a lot more enjoyable for a wider scope of people

Andrew

Atom
Nebulae
outstanding

though i think some people might still think it does, as i did. probably a clarification to the rules would be in better order for it

but, all in all, i think:
shifting more to an S2RP focus with wider scale battles like that being done less frequently but with more oversight and attention
keeping the S2K locations more limited so that it doesn't rage through the entire city
giving OTA and CPs more opportunities to RP and S2K via the IC establishment of Outposts throughout the city (being built with a minimum player count/NG count) that OTA can build, undercover CPs can report back to, and both can defend in S2K
possibly establishing better rules to cover the S2RP system so that it isn't interrupted as much and doesn't cause as much hassle to staff & players (maybe done through either a blunt and honest "[AREA] is in S2RP, timescale accordingly" /event'd or having specific rules for S2RP engagements be written up)
possibly also establishing rules or a chart that allows for specific /roll additions/takeaways so certain weapons, armour, conditions (i.e. injured, on drugs, etc.), and character types (i.e. OTA, Synths, Vortigaunts, Xenians) have different bonuses or debuffs in S2RP

would be good to integrate into the server, mostly just needing staff to communicate with factions to get these elements established and headstaff to write in the rules & the chart.

worst case scenario, the rules end up being terrible and next map we switch over without them. but at least for this map, this city, having these in-place will make the RP experience a lot more enjoyable for a wider scope of people
genuinely not a proper response but i feel that everyone's old enough at this point to respect each other's decisions more than we would've six years ago. in response to the rolls/addition/takeaway business.
and if they aren't? we awaken The Duval. Give him an inventory full of cocaine, a hidden-vest (to be torn off) and a pipe-wrench.

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
genuinely not a proper response but i feel that everyone's old enough at this point to respect each other's decisions more than we would've six years ago. in response to the rolls/addition/takeaway business.
and if they aren't? we awaken The Duval. Give him an inventory full of cocaine, a hidden-vest (to be torn off) and a pipe-wrench.
we make a tarkov gulag in the Admin Box for anyone who wants to be a shitter in S2RP

Nebulae
I'm pretty sure you don't even have to stash it, just keep it unequipped

It makes no sense to allow combat ready rebels everywhere as national guard, it makes undercovers and criminals get away insanely easy as a result and makes isolating lone shooters that fire upon the PD checkpoint just that much harder
I hope for a day where the rebels shed their mask suits and adopt the superior modular vest and gas mask/helmet bodygroups instead maybe applying for a custom vest if needed. the bleh suit is big stink and needs to go.

You would think the rebellion that absolutely loathes almost everything the combine have and do from their uniformity/collectivism and their radio codes would be more against using black suits as essentially a uniform something that stands against individuality which should be something we see in rebels especially considering after 8 months they've still chosen to be a disorganized unified "militia" if you can even call them that.

Generally Fruity

Proton
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
I hope for a day where the rebels shed their mask suits and adopt the superior modular vest and gas mask/helmet bodygroups instead maybe applying for a custom vest if needed. the bleh suit is big stink and needs to go.

You would think the rebellion that absolutely loathes almost everything the combine have and do from their uniformity/collectivism and their radio codes would be more against using black suits as essentially a uniform something that stands against individuality which should be something we see in rebels especially considering after 8 months they've still chosen to be a disorganized unified "militia" if you can even call them that.
You say this, and it is true, but few roleplay it. They do not play characters, but avatars.

deathwolf

I AM SPIDERMAN, GRIST LIES! I AM HIM REALLY! ﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

bro if you don’t wanna wear a blacksuit don’t wear one why do you care what other people wear like how does it affect you just make fun of em ic if your character cares