Suggestion shift the server focus away from s2k megabattles on this map, and make the combine more RP-oriented (for now)

Erkor

Narrative/Lore Management
Nebulae
you still have cop chars
quite a few of us don't and the simple reality is that - believe it or not - our ota characters are still characters and dont exclusively exist to s2k

e:

while we are free to make a character mentioning it to headcops, the simple fact of the matter is that those that don't have a cop character might simply not be that interested in making a new cop character

Reactions: List

Andrew

Atom
Nebulae
quite a few of us don't and the simple reality is that - believe it or not - our ota characters are still characters and dont exclusively exist to s2k

e:

while we are free to make a character mentioning it to headcops, the simple fact of the matter is that those that don't have a cop character might simply not be that interested in making a new cop character
yea i know i just think that it'[s a valid point cuz there's still ppl who r just usin ota for s2k n nothing else
the actual characters did get sidelined yes

imagine how different it woulda been if the ota faction was made entirely into ng this map and taken out of the dynamic
players funneling their ooc disdain for rebels into ic, massive fights, murder sprees etc. wouldve been.... wack tbh bad idea

ota do need to exist as the faction they are, u guys should get a smokescreen weather event to go outside and build stuff outside every few days to appease the rp and whatnot
or better, rip people off the street via undercovers and interrogate them for an hour before releasing them just to freak the heck out of em

Andrew

Atom
Nebulae
Cop chars, unless they're undercover, do nothing as well. And we can't have 1000 undercover cop chars
i've been on my cop less than an hour this map and i've rp'ed with transhumans and other cops, they don't do nothing

Bio Junior

Nucleus
Nebulae
i've been on my cop less than an hour this map and i've rp'ed with transhumans and other cops, they don't do nothing
Right staying inside of a sewer is 100% fun all the time, if you're happy with your level of RP, you do you

Verräterpackaging

Happy dude from around the clinic! :D
Nebulae
OTA can be very fun to RP with, but I also wanna do some city rp sometime, if u guys show up right next to the PD it will cause a firefight. But just banning you to the sewers and safehouse is no solution either. Hmm, I'll think of something!

Andrew

Atom
Nebulae
OTA can be very fun to RP with, but I also wanna do some city rp sometime, if u guys show up right next to the PD it will cause a firefight. But just banning you to the sewers and safehouse is no solution either. Hmm, I'll think of something!
a soldier showed up to charlie's last night

OneClassyBanana

kilroy was here
Nebulae
Real talk here — while I do believe that a concentrated shift away from a mass S2K mentality is both A.) important and B.) believe it or not, possible, I’ve found that threads like this rarely yield much in the way of actual tangible solutions.

At the end of the day, the discussion always tends to drift back to the same things being said by the same people. Even if Sil didn’t explicitly mention the CMB outright, I’m willing to bet that they’re the first faction that would have come to mind when most people saw the thread title.

‘cept the thing is, he’s right not to mention them alone. ‘cause it isn’t just them. It never has been just them. The repeated insistence on, and in turn repeated return to, the team deathmatch mentality is caused by this seemingly unending cycle of a few people on either side — or in this case, on any of the many sides at play, even if it tends to still be the same people — deciding to poke the bear for shits and giggles. But that’s not something that ever really gets discussed in these threads. Because it almost invariably comes back to ’solutions’ in the form of some new restriction or another targeted at an entire half of the server instead of addressing the actual problem.

It’s happened in some form or another, at least once, on every map we’ve had so far.

All of this to say is that while I’m all for a shift as a community away from the constant shootouts, I’m already seeing this conversation take a turn that so many conversations like it have taken in the past. Y’all can’t keep blaming the CMB for this shit when rebel players have been doing the same thing, massively unregulated and generally with the explicit intent to provoke, for ages. Some new patrol restriction on a half of the server that’s already taken the brunt of arbitrary restrictions on the chin for months in a row isn’t going to solve a damn thing.

I appreciate Sil for throwing the post up because I agree it’s a change that needs discussion, but this is already going down the same road the last several threads exactly like it have already gone down.

Last edited:

Verräterpackaging

Nebulae
Real talk here — while I do believe that a concentrated shift away from a mass S2K mentality is both A.) important and B.) believe it or not, possible, I’ve found that threads like this rarely yield much in the way of actual tangible solutions.

At the end of the day, the discussion always tends to drift back to the same things being said by the same people. Even if Sil didn’t explicitly mention the CMB outright, I’m willing to bet that they’re the first faction that came to mind when most people saw the thread title.

‘cept the thing is, he’s right not to mention them alone. ‘cause it isn’t just them. It never has been just them. The repeated insistence on, and in turn repeated return to, the team deathmatch mentality is caused by this seemingly unending cycle of a few people on either side — or in this case, on any of the many sides at play, even if it tends to still be the same people — deciding to poke the bear for shits and giggles. But that’s not something that ever really gets discussed in these threads. Because it almost invariably comes back to ’solutions’ in the form of some new restriction or another targeted at an entire half of the server instead of addressing the actual problem.

It’s happened in some form or another, at least once, on every map we’ve had so far.

All of this to say is that while I’m all for a shift as a community away from the constant shootouts, I’m already seeing this conversation take a turn that so many conversations like it have taken in the past. Y’all can’t keep blaming the CMB for this shit when rebel players have been doing the same thing, massively unregulated and generally with the explicit intent to provoke, for ages. Some new patrol restriction on a half of the server that’s already taken the brunt of arbitrary restrictions on the chin for months in a row isn’t going to solve a damn thing.

I appreciate Sil for throwing the post up because I agree it’s a change that needs discussion, but this is already going down the same road the last several threads exactly like it have already gone down.
And you replied to all threads exactly this - and I don't disagree with you, but still - there was no solution yet from you. You're smart, you can have a go and propose something. I havn't figured this out yet myself.

OneClassyBanana

kilroy was here
Nebulae
And you replied to all threads exactly this - and I don't disagree with you, but still - there was no solution yet from you. You're smart, you can have a go and propose something. I havn't figured this out yet myself.
Yeah, I’ve been hesitant to put anything forward, and I’ll own that. Because I’ve not got the fucking energy to keep trying to appease everyone after handling inter-faction PR for the Combine side, more or less by myself, after half a year.

During C24 and Boreas specifically, I spent more time patching up hurt feelings and smoothing things over in both of the Discords than I spent actually playing the damn server. That stuff sort of drains your faith in your own abilities to put forward a solution that anyone will actually agree to.

Call it pessimism, call it what you like, but after almost eight months of trying and seeing people keep defaulting to tribalism anyway, it ain’t easy to feel like there’s any solution I could possibly offer at this point. ‘cause clearly I ain’t the fuckin’ guy for it if I haven’t managed to get through to people after trying to encourage some community cooperation for so long.

/shrug.

Verräterpackaging

Nebulae
Well, here's the thing I see - noone really here is that much invested into S2K, not the OTA, or the rebels, or the CPs. There are like... 4 to 6 guys I know who actually have S2K as their main reason. But that's not the point really. Everyone just wants to RP their role, develop their char. Perhaps, a more passive approach from both sides could fester that. But, I am still trying to figure some stuff out that is actually viable.

OneClassyBanana

kilroy was here
Nebulae
Well, here's the thing I see - noone really here is that much invested into S2K, not the OTA, or the rebels, or the CPs. There are like... 4 to 6 guys I know who actually have S2K as their main reason. But that's not the point really. Everyone just wants to RP their role, develop their char. Perhaps, a more passive approach from both sides could fester that. But, I am still trying to figure some stuff out that is actually viable.
The approach I’ve always tried to push for that never seemed to gain any traction is just … not jumping for the gun right off the bat. I think a good handful of folks really struggle to not flip the TDM switch in their brain as soon as they see glowing blue eyes or a Lambda brassard.

But even then, ‘just don’t immediately shoot eachother’ isn’t exactly a viable suggestion either, because then it gets into the grey area of ‘it’s something my character would do’. Which is its own mess of complications to sort out on its own when looking at this kind of thing.

Not to demean characters with an aggressive slant, mind, but it does create this dilemma where you have to account for player and character agency in trying to solve the problem of continuous shit-stirring. And I’m not sure that agency can be preserved without the collateral of someone else’s RP being put down a different path as a result of another character’s actions.

Which is sort of the point of having an RP server with a continuous narrative anyway, but clearly is something that’s stirring up some frustrations in other circles too.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
The Combine side have always been the side that's easier to restrict because they're a faction with guidelines, rules and restrictions.

That being said people are very quick to judge and assume. I'm probably gonna get some shit for this, but there's a good number of rebel players who do unironically view themselves as being in the 'good' faction with 'actual characters' that don't destroy roleplay and thus there's the assumption that any negativity or 'bad actions' must be done by the other side.

Its been a thing for years now and its never really gone away, but you can't really bring it up without it sounding weird. People don't like to think they're a negative force, really.

Also, the S2K last night was not only objective based but has been planned for a week or more.

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
The important push for this is finding a solution on how to provide OTA with this fair RP experience that I'm wanting for Civil Protection too; with CPs, it's absolutely possible for them to go plainsclothes and do espionage (which I've heard has happened, and I am genuinely pleased to see this). For OTA though, you naturally run into problems where they are the bulkier faction who can't really blend in. from a gameplay perspective, with the roles switched, Civil Protection are now playing the rebels, but what role can the OTA be?

well, naturally, they take on a role similar to Vortigaunts. Powerhouses who have a lot of versatility and can be an important backbone for their respective side, with the difficulty of them being unable to venture out and blend in since they stick out fundamentally too much and are naturally going to be hunted. So instead of trying to play OTA as the S2K kingpins, in RP we should be giving them more opportunities to actually make use of their superhuman endurance and power.

As CPs infiltrate, perhaps have them try to rebuild a localised Dispatch system, or have them get access to their own "infiltration" missions to establish outposts into the city. Have them work alongside Civil Protection to make these little spy posts, so Civil Protection have places to return to and record their findings in safety. Naturally they may not always be able to access the sewers to go back to safety, so having these hidden-in-plain-sight locations build first by OTA in secret and then occupied by both OTA and CPs incase there are attacks can give them that S2K element whilst also being more RP focused.

That, personally, is one of my ideas on how to integrate OTA into the RP-side of things. They have the capacity to build those bigger outposts, and defend them if need be. After all there are plenty of apartment rooms for example that are completely empty and unused, so why not make use of them in the map?