Serious Star Citizen

the last man

corn lord
Nebulae
I decided to do some good ol searching and on reddit found this minimum spec comment:
  • Windows 7 (64bit) with Service Pack 1, Windows 8 (64bit), Windows 10 – Anniversary Update (64bit)

• DirectX 11 Graphics Card with 2GB RAM (4GB strongly recommended)

• Quad Core CPU and 16GB+ RAM

• SSD strongly recommended
Basically exactly my specs except 4 gigs more of ram than I have. Game is playable (ish), but breaks down to >10 fps in hubs with more players or more busy spaces. Still, playable enough for me to have spent a couple of hours at least in it.

Reactions: List

Pyromaniac

rob-approved!
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
Also before I forget: THE GAME IS ALPHA. DO NOT BUY IT IF YOU DO NOT LIKE BUGS OR OTHER ALPHA GAMES.

The most people I see complaining about SC complain about the bugs. As I said earlier you can be one of the lucky people or unlucky people but in My experience the game is stable enough to play. Sometimes I may fall through a planet when going up a hill or some other belony, but for me this is in-frequent and not common.

Not to mention features. Features keep getting added over-time and currently the game has the minimal. Bounty hunting, Mining, Trading, Piracy.

Piracy being to a certain extend as you can threaten people to give you aUEC or you'll blow them up.

the last man

corn lord
Nebulae
I haven't experienced it as I got a lucky purchase (i7-9700 and RTX 2080 and 16gb of ram along with an SSD).
haha i'm running a 2014 asus 970, a 3000-series 2013 i7 and mix and match 12 gbs worth of ram on a dying motherboard bought second hand from shenzen. Really starting to realize now that my computer really isn't as up to scratch as it used to be

Pyromaniac

rob-approved!
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
haha i'm running a 2014 asus 970, a 3000-series 2013 i7 and mix and match 12 gbs worth of ram on a dying motherboard bought second hand from shenzen. Really starting to realize now that my computer really isn't as up to scratch as it used to be
Man, The moment I purchased the computer I just realised that in 2 years this stuff would be old-gen. Now we got the 3060 for half the price of a 2080 and triple the peformance.
[doublepost=1600545216][/doublepost]
is this game still vapourware
I'd argue it's more like minecraft beta/alpha.

I can spawn in on the station I last spawned at, get my ship from a terminal and go to the hangar/pad. Go to the pad/hangar take off. Go do bounty hunting, go onto a planet or moon. Do FPS combat all w/o loading screens.

In all honesty I argue that if they polished the current game you'd already be able to sell it for 40 euros compared to games we have today.

I've also heard of people flying between the main planets with only hydrogen fuel over hours. (Quantum jumping being quicker)

the last man

corn lord
Nebulae
Man, The moment I purchased the computer I just realised that in 2 years this stuff would be old-gen. Now we got the 3060 for half the price of a 2080 and triple the peformance.
stuff being old gen doesn't make it bad. I'm running hardware that is all 6-8 years old and can still basically run everything I've ever wanted to run throughout all that time. A new series i7 and 2080 will last you forever

Reactions: List

Pyromaniac

rob-approved!
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
stuff being old gen doesn't make it bad. I'm running hardware that is all 6-8 years old and can still basically run everything I've ever wanted to run throughout all that time. A new series i7 and 2080 will last you forever
Yeah, I'm happy with the purchase. Always looking to upgrade though. My next goal in terms of setup is getting two Virpil Constelation Alpha sticks for a HOSAS setup and a stream deck.

the last man

corn lord
Nebulae
Yeah, I'm happy with the purchase. Always looking to upgrade though. My next goal in terms of setup is getting two Virpil Constelation Alpha sticks for a HOSAS setup and a stream deck.
Why two stick instead of getting a hotas package? You can get some good deals of very good hotas setups that work for pretty much everything

Pyromaniac

rob-approved!
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
Why two stick instead of getting a hotas package? You can get some good deals of very good hotas setups that work for pretty much everything
I've got a HOSAS setup already. Two thrustmasters so I dont feel a rush. Honestly really good budget sticks. but like I said. I always seek to upgrade. Not to mention the Alphas have more buttons than you'd probably need.

hbag

bitchmade
Nebulae
might buy an external SSD for star citizen since ive got a USB 3.0 port and that's got a throughput of 5Gbit/s (1 less than SATA)

the last man

corn lord
Nebulae
might buy an external SSD for star citizen since ive got a USB 3.0 port and that's got a throughput of 5Gbit/s (1 less than SATA)
noooo don't do that, external carry ssd's are not meant to be used like that and will reach its write limit in no time

waste of money

hbag

bitchmade
Nebulae
noooo don't do that, external carry ssd's are not meant to be used like that and will reach its write limit in no time

waste of money
alright the game can fuck off then im not cracking open my whole pc and taking out like 7 different cables just to put a new drive in it because it's a Special Big Boy Game That Needs To Feel Special and demands i do so

literally the worst optimization ive ever seen in a video game

the last man

corn lord
Nebulae
alright the game can fuck off then im not cracking open my whole pc and taking out like 7 different cables just to put a new drive in it because it's a Special Big Boy Game That Needs To Feel Special and demands i do so

literally the worst optimization ive ever seen in a video game
ask anyone knowledgable what the first pc upgrade you should ever do to an older system is and 99% of them will say "upgrade your system-running hdd to an ssd" because literally everything will run smoother, quicker and have less chance of losing data. It's not this special game that needs you to do this, it's a pretty standard upgrade that you do on literally any older system.

Just the other week I took i fixed a relatively new gaming system with an old HHD as its only old component (10 years old compared to about 3 year old other hardware). It took 5 minutes to start up and a solid 20 seconds to start any program or browser. Went and bought a 500 gb ssd, spent 5 minutes taking the old drive out and then putting the new SSD one in, reinstalled windows. The computer now starts in 15 seconds and can run literally anything I throw at it because I got rid of the bottleneck. It's a standard upgrade that everyone does to make their computer fast.

Any other money you spend on ANY other component in the PC won't give you your money's worth until you have an SSD. It's that simple.

hbag

bitchmade
Nebulae
ask anyone knowledgable what the first pc upgrade you should ever do to an older system is and 99% of them will say "upgrade your system-running hdd to an ssd" because literally everything will run smoother, quicker and have less chance of losing data. It's not this special game that needs you to do this, it's a pretty standard upgrade that you do on literally any older system.

Just the other week I took i fixed a relatively new gaming system with an old HHD as its only old component (10 years old compared to about 3 year old other hardware). It took 5 minutes to start up and a solid 20 seconds to start any program or browser. Went and bought a 500 gb ssd, spent 5 minutes taking the old drive out and then putting the new SSD one in, reinstalled windows. The computer now starts in 15 seconds and can run literally anything I throw at it because I got rid of the bottleneck. It's a standard upgrade that everyone does to make their computer fast.

Any other money you spend on ANY other component in the PC won't give you your money's worth until you have an SSD. It's that simple.
and then, what, replace everything again in 3 years when it reaches its write limit?

Luft

a bad memer
Nebulae
how the fuck do you spawn or pick a ship

im too stupid for that

the last man

corn lord
Nebulae
and then, what, replace everything again in 3 years when it reaches its write limit?
no, a regular ssd will probably last you longer than an hdd would because it's not as sensitive.

look, ssd aren't even the newest fancy schancy high tech super upgrade stuff anymore (that's m.2 drives), it's old stuff and has been a standard "upgrade" for years, to the point where it's not even considered much of an upgrade anymore because it's been a standard component for so long.

what do you have against it? do you not want to get your money's worth for any modern components you might have? This is like someone arguing that there's no way they'll upgrade their old crt monitor for one of those fancy new lcd displays that all the games and programs apparently want you to have if you want things on your screen to look good.

it's a matter of adding or changing one sata cable and plugging in a power cable from your power unit. It's about as simple of an upgrade you can get when it comes to rummaging around in your chassi. If you've put in any computer component into a chassi before then it'll be a breeze.

hbag

bitchmade
Nebulae
no, a regular ssd will probably last you longer than an hdd would because it's not as sensitive.

look, ssd aren't even the newest fancy schancy high tech super upgrade stuff anymore (that's m.2 drives), it's old stuff and has been a standard "upgrade" for years, to the point where it's not even considered much of an upgrade anymore because it's been a standard component for so long.

what do you have against it? do you not want to get your money's worth for any modern components you might have? This is like someone arguing that there's no way they'll upgrade their old crt monitor for one of those fancy new lcd displays that all the games and programs apparently want you to have if you want things on your screen to look good.

it's a matter of adding or changing one sata cable and plugging in a power cable from your power unit. It's about as simple of an upgrade you can get when it comes to rummaging around in your chassi. If you've put in any computer component into a chassi before then it'll be a breeze.
it's a matter of moving my chair in my incredibly cramped room, unplugging 7 or so awkwardly-positioned cables, some of which will be impossible to find later, dragging out my heavy-ass tower, and then struggling to find somewhere to ground myself in my cramped, carpeted bedroom so i dont fry £1500+ worth of electronics

and then i dont even know if my PSU has a spare SATA power cable

the last man

corn lord
Nebulae
it's a matter of moving my chair in my incredibly cramped room, unplugging 7 or so awkwardly-positioned cables, some of which will be impossible to find later, dragging out my heavy-ass tower, and then struggling to find somewhere to ground myself in my cramped, carpeted bedroom so i dont fry £1500+ worth of electronics

and then i dont even know if my PSU has a spare SATA power cable
sata is for data, you'll need that between your motherboard and harddrive. If your PSU is new then you probably have some cables left over unless you're already running A LOT of components.

not really going to try to debate you into getting one, just want you to know that you're wasting a lot of those £1500 by not having the one simple thing that makes 10x more difference in the ability of a build than RAM, CPU and GPU all put together. I'm not a harddrive manufacturer, I have no stake in you spending money on a new ssd, just hate to see people letting money and a good computer waste away

hbag

bitchmade
Nebulae
sata is for data, you'll need that between your motherboard and harddrive. If your PSU is new then you probably have some cables left over unless you're already running A LOT of components.

not really going to try to debate you into getting one, just want you to know that you're wasting a lot of those £1500 by not having the one simple thing that makes 10x more difference in the ability of a build than RAM, CPU and GPU all put together. I'm not a harddrive manufacturer, I have no stake in you spending money on a new ssd, just hate to see people letting money and a good computer waste away
yes, i know what SATA's for, i was meaning the accompanying power lead coming from the PSU. and my PSU's been the same since i first built this thing (other parts have been replaced obviously, PSU is like the only thing in it thats over a year old rn) so it's been in there for maybe 7-8 years and i have no idea how many cables it has left. I only have 1 HDD right now so it PROBABLY has a spare but i'd still like to know for certain