Mum Looks Like Tracy Beaker
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Having a low FOV isn’t something about luxury

People can genuinely get dizzy from it

It’s a big strain on my eyes personally
pls see where I put

(For most people)

I work in optics, most people shouldn’t be experiencing aesthenopia when playing games at 70FOV. Most people who do probably have some form of ametropia and would therefore benefit from correction in the form of glasses or contact lenses.

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
pls see where I put

(For most people)

I work in optics, most people shouldn’t be experiencing aesthenopia when playing games at 70FOV. Most people who do probably have some form of ametropia and would therefore benefit from correction in the form of glasses or contact lenses.
Motion sickness has nothing to do with any of that

Goopy

Molecule
Nebulae
id like to be able to play but even with my computer that should be able to run it, it stutters and the audio disappears for moments, sometimes the game freezes.

right now its unplayable.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
id like to be able to play but even with my computer that should be able to run it, it stutters and the audio disappears for moments, sometimes the game freezes.

right now its unplayable.

I had this happen because I had the game on my HD, not my SSD (which they said was mandatory). I swapped it over and haven't had an issue since.

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae
pls see where I put

(For most people)

helpful image, doesnt have to do with needing eye correction
xM6T5GN.png

Reactions: List

Goopy

Molecule
Nebulae
I had this happen because I had the game on my HD, not my SSD (which they said was mandatory). I swapped it over and haven't had an issue since.

Yeah... I have 62GB free on my SSD, with 465 GB max. I'm not uninstalling something for a bethesda game to take it's place. I shouldn't have to install the game on my SSD just to be able to play it, or for it to work at all. Thank you though.

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae
Yeah... I have 62GB free on my SSD, with 465 GB max. I'm not uninstalling something for a bethesda game to take it's place. I shouldn't have to install the game on my SSD just to be able to play it, or for it to work at all. Thank you though.
modern games on hardrives are dogshit anyway. even if you get it to work your loading screens are going to take maybe 10x longer this is not just a bethesda thing

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Yeah... I have 62GB free on my SSD, with 465 GB max. I'm not uninstalling something for a bethesda game to take it's place. I shouldn't have to install the game on my SSD just to be able to play it, or for it to work at all.

Tbf, they've said for months and months that if you don't have it on your SSD you're liable to run into problems because of how it loads things and optomizes stuff.

This is probably the first game I've seen where they've said its mandatory (as opposed to strongly advised).

Goopy

Molecule
Nebulae
modern games on hardrives are dogshit anyway. even if you get it to work your loading screens are going to take maybe 10x longer this is not just a bethesda thing
Tbf, they've said for months and months that if you don't have it on your SSD you're liable to run into problems because of how it loads things and optomizes stuff.

This is probably the first game I've seen where they've said its mandatory (as opposed to strongly advised).

Triple A game companies proving once again to be clowns.

What's an optimization. Please buy our micro-transactions.

There's apparently a fix where I'll need to install a third party app, going to give that a shot.

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae
Triple A game companies proving once again to be clowns.

What's an optimization. Please buy our micro-transactions.

There's apparently a fix where I'll need to install a third party app, going to give that a shot.

SSD's making loadrates faster for games is a concept a lot older than a 6 year old series of graphics cards being a minimum requirement. its not really a big ask nor a sign of poor optimization.

Goopy

Molecule
Nebulae
SSD's making loadrates faster for games is a concept a lot older than a 6 year old series of graphics cards being a minimum requirement. its not really a big ask nor a sign of poor optimization.

I'm okay waiting out a loading screen, but requiring the game to be on an SSD to even play it at all is not good game design. I'm not going to pretend to know what optimization entirely captures, but it feels like bad optimization to have it as a requirement to even play the game.

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
I'm okay waiting out a loading screen, but requiring the game to be on an SSD to even play it at all is not good game design. I'm not going to pretend to know what optimization entirely captures, but it feels like bad optimization to have it as a requirement to even play the game.
Tbf it's basically becoming the norm for games to be on SSDs

Most modern PC games will say SSDs are recommended, probably because they are designed and programmed on SSDs. SSDs are getting cheaper-ish thankfully.

Also Bethesda still using a dog shit out of date engine from the stone ages can't help

Goopy

Molecule
Nebulae
Tbf it's basically becoming the norm for games to be on SSDs

Most modern PC games will say SSDs are recommended, probably because they are designed and programmed on SSDs. SSDs are getting cheaper-ish thankfully.

Also Bethesda still using a dog shit out of date engine from the stone ages can't help

I can afford a new SSD so I may get one, but there's just so many other things I'd prefer spending it on.

But at the same time, other people with this issue have it installed on their SSD but they're still having problems, feel like it would be stupid to buy a new SSD and then it wouldn't work - and would Starfield even be worth it in the first place?

Maybe I'm being childish, I don't want to be fair to triple A game devs. It's like whenever I see that somehow a Warzone update is 60gb in size, I don't want to pretend it's the new standard when in most likelihood it's the game company not allowing time for optimization. Just feels stupidly anti-consumer.

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
I can afford a new SSD so I may get one, but there's just so many other things I'd prefer spending it on.

But at the same time, other people with this issue have it installed on their SSD but they're still having problems, feel like it would be stupid to buy a new SSD and then it wouldn't work - and would Starfield even be worth it in the first place?

Maybe I'm being childish, I don't want to be fair to triple A game devs. It's like whenever I see that somehow a Warzone update is 60gb in size, I don't want to pretend it's the new standard when in most likelihood it's the game company not allowing time for optimization. Just feels stupidly anti-consumer.
Oh I completely agree that modern games are dogshit in these areas

Some people even think the bloated filesizes are on purpose, idk if I buy that but yeah

Triple A games on launch are really bad right now. It's why I don't buy or play them on launch or pay full price for them LOL

Goopy

Molecule
Nebulae
Oh I completely agree that modern games are dogshit in these areas

Some people even think the bloated filesizes are on purpose, idk if I buy that but yeah

Triple A games on launch are really bad right now. It's why I don't buy or play them on launch or pay full price for them LOL

Generalising since I don't know if Starfield has them (since I can't play the game) but then they have the audacity to ask for microtransactions too.

The future is indie.

I wasn't really excited for this game, I didn't have a huge hype or anything. I mean my boss was, and I think he wanted someone to talk to about this game so that's going to be a bummer, but I tempered my expectations over the fact that it's from Bethesda. Unironically, any excitement for the game came from post-launch not pre-launch. Still, sucks installing a game all day only for it to not work. Oh smell.

At least I didn't actually buy it. Tried pirating it first, thought it was an issue with the torrent, then I just settled on gamepass.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Tbh, I'm enjoying the game for what it is - but then again I don't buy into hype around Bethesda games beyond them generally being fun. I totally get why people are frustrated too.

I need to go back and replay Cyberpunk for the same reason - I dropped that not long after it came out.

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae

to me its just not a reasonable argument because of everything else. a 1 TB Samsung EVO, their like top of the line one that you can run without a cable and without having a frazzy new motherboard is about 80-90 bucks
an SSD twice the size of starfield, like 250 gb is 50 bucks, less than you'll pay for the game itself

a new graphics card that you require to have the game run above 5 fps is 1000 dollars
i can agree that the expectation to shill out a gazillion dollars for a new product is not economical, but thats no different from every new graphics-intense game, and nothing's stopping anyone from playing fallout 1 and 2 instead on internal intel graphics. the SSD is the most reasonable part

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Motion Sickness and Eye Strain aren’t the same.

you literally said it was a “huge strain on your eyes”
Yes because looking at it makes me dizzy