Starfield

PepicWalrus

Electron
HL2 RP Senior Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Breaking News.

The guy who released the first ever nude mod for Skyrim has just released the first ever nude mod for Starfield. We applaud his consistency.

No I will not be taking questions why I know this.

Reactions: List

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
this game seems divisive as fuck
everyone I've spoken to either loves it or hates it

i think there was an expectation problem leading into the game's release
Can't be disappointed if you have no expectations

If you tell yourself every game will probably be shit, you're either right and can be smug about it or you're wrong and pleasantly surprised.

That being said, if some games I'M looking forward to turn out to be shit well...

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Can't be disappointed if you have no expectations

If you tell yourself every game will probably be shit, you're either right and can be smug about it or you're wrong and pleasantly surprised.

That being said, if some games I'M looking forward to turn out to be shit well...

moreso that people were expecting this to be no man's sky or elite dangerous

when really it was just gonna be a Bethesda RPG, and closer to Outer Worlds

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
moreso that people were expecting this to be no man's sky or elite dangerous

when really it was just gonna be a Bethesda RPG, and closer to Outer Worlds
History runs in cycles.

Those who forget, are doomed to repeat and so on and so on.

World is a fuck
Starfield is an FPS in 2023 with no FOV options
BIllions must be motion sick.

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Can you really land anywhere on a planet though?

PepicWalrus

Electron
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Can you really land anywhere on a planet though?
Kinda, when you land the game generates a tilespace, each tile is like 1km x 1km and there's a few stitched together.

Planets aren't really planets. You can't travel from one play space to the next. You walk to the edge and you'll hit an invisible wall.

So "anywhere" is relative I guess. The tilespace doesn't really matter where you actually select on the planet. But you can discover PoIs and they'll get marked on that planet.

But it is not like Star Citizens fly down from orbit at any point and touch down.

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae
the one thing that i thought would be redeeming for starfield, open world starship flying, isnt even part of it

flying your ship is literally skipping the most interesting bits

flying your ship
they were completely transparent about this before launch the only man that got hazzled was you, getting hazzled by yourself
dialogue's the best it's been in any bethesda game to date and the faction quests/cities feel like self-contained games

the great upside to their individual instances instead of an entirely open world is that it feels like every quest the ywanted to do with a location in mind, they could do. theres so many unique sidequests unburdened by limitations. additionally, a place like neon city which is essentially cyberpunk doesn't overstay it's welcome, the thematic pacing doesnt really let you get overbored with any one concept before you move on to the next one

in skyrim or fallout they would've had to go "where on this map can we fit a house and location to suit this quest" and then script it, whereas on starfield they can put anything anywhere and it shines through with the sheer variety of interesting concepts

idk why so many of u guys are disappointed about a product as advertised, this is not cyberpunk's oversell, overpromise, underdeliver and for once john bethesda didnt lie

PepicWalrus

Electron
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
they were completely transparent about this before launch the only man that got hazzled was you, getting hazzled by yourself
dialogue's the best it's been in any bethesda game to date and the faction quests/cities feel like self-contained games

the great upside to their individual instances instead of an entirely open world is that it feels like every quest the ywanted to do with a location in mind, they could do. theres so many unique sidequests unburdened by limitations. additionally, a place like neon city which is essentially cyberpunk doesn't overstay it's welcome, the thematic pacing doesnt really let you get overbored with any one concept before you move on to the next one

in skyrim or fallout they would've had to go "where on this map can we fit a house and location to suit this quest" and then script it, whereas on starfield they can put anything anywhere and it shines through with the sheer variety of interesting concepts

idk why so many of u guys are disappointed about a product as advertised, this is not cyberpunk's oversell, overpromise, underdeliver and for once john bethesda didnt lie
I disagree they were completely transparent. The only thing they said you wouldn't be able to go from space to ground.

Their entire marketing made it seem like there'd be reason to fly around. But there's none. You launch, open the menu, travel to new planet, land. There's zero reason to stay out and fly around which they definitely tried to make it seem like there would be.

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae
I disagree they were completely transparent. The only thing they said you wouldn't be able to go from space to ground.

Their entire marketing made it seem like there'd be reason to fly around. But there's none. You launch, open the menu, travel to new planet, land. There's zero reason to stay out and fly around which they definitely tried to make it seem like there would be.
its optional to fast travel for convenience but u can also just use the grav drive for the same result where you stay in your ship the entire time until you land also u get random encounters and merchants and stations to dock with and rocks to mine and stuff in space theres plenty of reason

also the game doesnt let u do this fast travel system unless ur going between two places you've already been to. you have to pick a landing location when u get into orbit after grav jumping. and it doesnt let u do it when ur carrying contraband

idk what game ur playing that im not

Postal

Molecule
Nebulae
this game seems divisive as fuck
everyone I've spoken to either loves it or hates it

i think there was an expectation problem leading into the game's release
yes but everyone's favourite streamer who cheated on his wife and recorded people(children) in toilets is having a meltdown over pronouns and says its woke >:(

Last edited:

rob

Nebulae
I'm mainly just disappointed in the performance, struggling to maintain 60fps on high settings in 1080p with a mid-end PC

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae
I'm mainly just disappointed in the performance, struggling to maintain 60fps on high settings in 1080p with a mid-end PC
valid
feels fps-locked on purpose even though it probably isnt
even with vsync off im always on 60

its a shame they went with fsr instead of dlss, it's even more of a shame theres such a thing as graphics card support exclusivity, though i dont blame AMD given almost every other game only really has nvidia support

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
valid
feels fps-locked on purpose even though it probably isnt
even with vsync off im always on 60

its a shame they went with fsr instead of dlss, it's even more of a shame theres such a thing as graphics card support exclusivity, though i dont blame AMD given almost every other game only really has nvidia support
AMD openly said they didn’t block DLSS support lol

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae
AMD openly said they didn’t block DLSS support lol
i meant like native exclusivity and whats baked in
its not native to the game, bethesda hasnt added it and u need a mod for it to work
im talking about the fact that they dont do both presumably on account of some BIG SCHMONEY DEAL

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
i meant less exclusivity more whats baked in
its not native to the game, bethesda hasnt added it and u need a mod for it to work
im talking about the fact that they dont do both presumably on account of some BIG SCHMONEY DEAL
Nah that’s what I’m saying, they were only paid to do FSR but it’s Bethesda who didn’t want to do DLSS

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae
Nah that’s what I’m saying, they were only paid to do FSR but it’s Bethesda who didn’t want to do DLSS
they couldnt even be bothered to do an FOV slider so it doesnt surprise me LOL

game is still a banger though im loving it so far

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
they couldnt even be bothered to do an FOV slider so it doesnt surprise me LOL

game is still a banger though im loving it so far
FPS games with no FOV slider should be illegal lmfao

It's such a basic, commonly expected feature. It's like having a game without a pause button or basic volume settings.

Luft

a bad memer
Nebulae
you could literally remove the feature to fly in space and just make the traveling between planets a click in the main menu

theres no purpose in flying in space or flying in general outside of the missions requiring you to do so