Serious The Epic Games Store is good for gaming, change my mind

surra

Molecule
Nebulae
oh yea they said they'd support steam with dlcs and shit and servers and all that, that's what people thought but buying the game on steam and launching it on the epic games store kinda defeats the point of what epic games wants to be.

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
bump but uhhh what do u boys think about epic games buying rocket league and taking it off steam?
I'm really stoked about it actually. Psyonix has struggled to keep up with the demand from players for well over and year and it's no secret they've had a close relationship with Epic since way before Rocket League was a thing.

Should be great for the future of the game, not bothered about it moving to Epic only.

`impulse

Head Staff
Nebulae
oh yea they said they'd support steam with dlcs and shit and servers and all that, that's what people thought but buying the game on steam and launching it on the epic games store kinda defeats the point of what epic games wants to be.
How?

It wants to be a digital distribution storefront for PC gaming, and it's expanding its library. This was the best route they could have taken - all future customers will be onboarded to EGS and everyone that already bought the game can continue enjoying it on Steam like usual. Psyonix have done all the inventory stuff using their own tech so they aren't tied down to any platform

surra

Molecule
Nebulae
How?

It wants to be a digital distribution storefront for PC gaming, and it's expanding its library. This was the best route they could have taken - all future customers will be onboarded to EGS and everyone that already bought the game can continue enjoying it on Steam like usual. Psyonix have done all the inventory stuff using their own tech so they aren't tied down to any platform
oh no im saying that, if they just make it like uplay where it just launches the launcher when you hit play on steam, it doesn't exactly make sense to buy something off another store and then just keep distributing there with the only difference that you have to download the epic games launcher to play rocket league, that's what @Man Wearing a Helmet said might happen

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
oh no im saying that, if they just make it like uplay where it just launches the launcher when you hit play on steam, it doesn't exactly make sense to buy something off another store and then just keep distributing there with the only difference that you have to download the epic games launcher to play rocket league, that's what @Man Wearing a Helmet said might happen
We'll see whenever the transition happens but it makes really no difference tbh, I have Epic launcher installed so I'll happily transfer my game if they give me the choice.

:heyzeus:

Atom
Nebulae
I still don't understand how this is helping the pc gaming community like everyone is claiming it is.

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
For fuck's sake it was one of my favorite games

Big sad
So sad that an indie company just got picked up by a major studio... not like you’d want them to make future games or expand their team and budget, right?

:laughing:
[doublepost=1556812077][/doublepost]
I still don't understand how this is helping the pc gaming community like everyone is claiming it is.
Games are cheaper, developers are getting a bigger cut. Your only effort is installing another application on your computer.

This entire thread explains it.

Mic15000

The Underdog
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Epic said they aren’t planning to remove it from steam and they will continue to support it on steam, why are you all panicking?

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
Epic said they aren’t planning to remove it from steam and they will continue to support it on steam, why are you all panicking?
Apparently it’ll be removed but they’ll still support all the current owners of the game. Either way it’s really no big deal, just the hive mind.

Reactions: List

:heyzeus:

Atom
Nebulae
Games are cheaper, developers are getting a bigger cut. Your only effort is installing another application on your computer.

In what instance have games been cheaper outside of the US. I only think they did it for metro and that was only for North american people.

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
In what instance have games been cheaper outside of the US. I only think they did it for metro and that was only for North american people.
No? It was definitely cheaper outside of the US too.

Mic15000

The Underdog
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
One thing that I like is that Epic is poking steam a lot, and I wanna see if they wake steam up, they have the money to at least compete with Steam if they went full on.

If steam wakes up and there’s some “competition” we might get a lot of new games cause I mean I don’t have to buy a $400 console to play an Epic “exclusive” but just download something, like I do all the times with Ubisoft games.

If steam doesen’t wake up then they might start suffering some loss of profit, not that they care at the beginning but in the long run they might loose their big lead if they underestimate competition

And honestly breaking a big monopoly is good either way. If Epic becomes a monopoly in 5 years then I’d support a competitor.

Bronn

Atom
Nebulae

most of the games they've purchased for their exclusives were bound to make big profits no matter what as most of them are from well known franchises

games are cheaper in just a few countries, for me it was the same shit when i checked both stores, and 5$ is really not that much of a difference for the amount they earn when you take into consideration how much money they get from the exclusivity deals and epic's lower cut

steam also covers extra fees which need to be paid by the consumer instead when you're using epic

Goatson

Guardian
Nebulae
thank god i found tools to keep all my games in one place
still need to have every shitty launcher installed but i can track em and launch em from the same place without adding them all manually which is a godsend

still dont like the entire concept of buying exclusive rights to have things on certain launchers but hey what can we didly do do do

Bronn

Atom
Nebulae
thank god i found tools to keep all my games in one place
still need to have every shitty launcher installed but i can track em and launch em from the same place without adding them all manually which is a godsend

i just placed all game shortcuts in one folder, made my life 100% easier when searching for games to play

steambored

Make no mistake, this is a one-way trip.
Nebulae
If steam wakes up and there’s some “competition” we might get a lot of new games
This one sentence is just wrong. When it comes to games, it's not the game launcher "competition" that will allow for more games, if you really want more games then all you have to do is throw money into the developers bank accounts and hope that the product they throw at you doesn't end up being Anthem.

its not more games that we need but less of false advertised triple a trash that churn out the same game with minor differences every year or so

Last edited:

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
most of the games they've purchased for their exclusives were bound to make big profits no matter what as most of them are from well known franchises

games are cheaper in just a few countries, for me it was the same shit when i checked both stores, and 5$ is really not that much of a difference for the amount they earn when you take into consideration how much money they get from the exclusivity deals and epic's lower cut

steam also covers extra fees which need to be paid by the consumer instead when you're using epic
Sorry that you don't think saving $5 on a game purchase is 'that much' but it's still cheaper for you as a consumer? I don't get how you can twist that to be a bad thing at all. Epic are putting huge amounts of money into game studios which gives them huge assurance from Epic that no matter what the studios choice to use EGS isn't going to cause them to miss targets (it's necessary because it's a new platform, unrelated to the gamer backlash).

This one sentence is just wrong. When it comes to games, it's not the game launcher "competition" that will allow for more games, if you really want more games then all you have to do is throw money into the developers bank accounts and hope that the product they throw at you doesn't end up being Anthem.

its not more games that we need but less of false advertised triple a trash that churn out the same game with minor differences every year or so
The launcher and store itself are kinda used interchangably though. So far the games Epic have made deals with have been sucesssful and sold very well but they actually do curation for their store (which Steam does not anymore) so the quality of those games should be higher.

Bronn

Atom
Nebulae
Sorry that you don't think saving $5 on a game purchase is 'that much' but it's still cheaper for you as a consumer? I don't get how you can twist that to be a bad thing at all. Epic are putting huge amounts of money into game studios which gives them huge assurance from Epic that no matter what the studios choice to use EGS isn't going to cause them to miss targets (it's necessary because it's a new platform, unrelated to the gamer backlash).

The launcher and store itself are kinda used interchangably though. So far the games Epic have made deals with have been sucesssful and sold very well but they actually do curation for their store (which Steam does not anymore) so the quality of those games should be higher.

i would be fine with the 5$ if it wasn't for a few select countries and if epic covered for most of the fees like steam did for other countries

for me its cheaper to use steam so i'd rather wait the exlusives to come over to steam before buying anything game related

e: also steam has a community market, when a new case gets released on csgo for example (which is free to play), you can literally buy a brand new game with two of those cases on valve's expense

Last edited: