News The next voyage of nebulous

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
You're still free to play your own character in that manner.

You just can't force it on everyone else, another person's entire storyline should not be subjected to what you and some random admin want.
Nothing stops you from making a character that permas right away or when you believe is a worthy moment.

Reactions: List

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
You're still free to play your own character in that manner.

You just can't force it on everyone else, another person's entire storyline should not be subjected to what you and some random admin want.

To be fair I do feel a character's death through set guidelines is more fair for everyone considering nobody's a protagonist and seeing someone die and all of a sudden reappear out of nowhere makes everything feel a bit surreal and detached.

There's no such storyline as "So yeah he was shot and then he revived and went to work the next day". Stop pretending it's for roleplay reasons, you're just too attached to a roleplay character.

Don't get me wrong, I want to taste this new, more casual/laid back approach to roleplay deaths to prioritize fun, but it is by no way something that improves "storytelling" or anything of the sort.

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
ngl, not your place to judge
it's true tho

people will hang on to characters with tooth and nail if they grow attached, even if the character died a good death

people start being the character, rather than controlling the person and moving on when they die

Deleted member 442

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
People don't realize or forget that some of the most intense RP arcs come about from an unexpected death. Going to get PK auths takes all the genuine emotions out of it, except for the person on the receiving end who is (understandably) pissed that they had no real control over the situation, because the decision to perma was put not in their hands, but other people who may have ulterior motives that are more rooted in OOC aggro.

I do feel a character's death through set guidelines is more fair for everyone

Voluntary perma is as fair as it gets for everyone. Allowing people to PK your character without your consent is inherently unfair.

Stop pretending it's for roleplay reasons, you're just too attached to a roleplay character.

ya okay jaggles.

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
People don't realize or forget that some of the most intense RP arcs come about from an unexpected death. Going to get PK auths takes all the genuine emotions out of it, except for the person on the receiving end who is (understandably) pissed that they had no real control over the situation, because the decision to perma was put not in their hands, but other people who may have ulterior motives that are more rooted in OOC aggro.

Voluntary perma is as fair as it gets for everyone. Allowing people to PK your character without your consent is inherently unfair.

ya okay jaggles.
agree to disagree

i just dont like the sound of pk contracts, nor do i like the idea of voluntary pks but it isn't my decision to make i am merely saying my opinion on it like most other people here

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Premium Member
Nebulae
it's true tho

people will hang on to characters with tooth and nail if they grow attached, even if the character died a good death

people start being the character, rather than controlling the person and moving on when they die
if someone refuses to die, just dont rp with them lol

not having forced pks is good for cooperative roleplaying - i find it way more fun to choose when to die rather than get it forced on me - its not like people dont already do this in the form of just not dealing out pks immediately

Entora

Proton
Nebulae
To be fair I do feel a character's death through set guidelines is more fair for everyone considering nobody's a protagonist and seeing someone die and all of a sudden reappear out of nowhere makes everything feel a bit surreal and detached.

There's no such storyline as "So yeah he was shot and then he revived and went to work the next day". Stop pretending it's for roleplay reasons, you're just too attached to a roleplay character.

Don't get me wrong, I want to taste this new, more casual/laid back approach to roleplay deaths to prioritize fun, but it is by no way something that improves "storytelling" or anything of the sort.
I've played on a popular minecraft serious rp server with 200+ active concurrent players and there isnt forced pks unless you commit suicide or something; its never really interrupted the experience for me. People will still want to pk their characters for the sake of storytelling. If you see someone reappear, its just like a continuing story. If you gain that much roleplay satisfaction from forcing pks on others, that's a red flag to me. Roleplay is a cooperative experience that really thrives when all actors are working together in the furtherance of something greater than themselves. Keyword: working together

And back to that other server, I'd say it is probably more serious than hl2rp has ever been with even greater lengths of essayposting. The audience is pretty similar on both servers.

If you really want to pk someone, you could talk to them beforehand or agree to both pk if you die to eachother, etc. That way it will be satisfactory to both parties instead of some forced admin pk that will inevitably leave someone salty.

Andrew

Atom
Nebulae
feel like people forget you're playing a third-person shooter
wouldn't be fun to lose the hours of grinding minigames to get something neat like a gun or souped-up car

but i still think pk's should be around for people's stories to have an ending, ergo pk contracts

Deleted member 442

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
If you gain that much roleplay satisfaction from forcing pks on others, that's a red flag to me. Roleplay is a cooperative experience that really thrives when all actors are working together in the furtherance of something greater than themselves.

this this this this this this this this this

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
if someone refuses to die, just dont rp with them lol

not having forced pks is good for cooperative roleplaying - i find it way more fun to choose when to die rather than get it forced on me - its not like people dont already do this in the form of just not dealing out pks immediately

Agreeing to a character's death would be great if the majority of the server was mature enough for it, but PK appeals have sorely proven the opposite. I'm willing to give it a try however cause I'm not that narrow-minded but you simply can't deny the facts.

I've played on a popular minecraft serious rp server with 200+ active concurrent players and there isnt forced pks unless you commit suicide or something; its never really interrupted the experience for me. People will still want to pk their characters for the sake of storytelling. If you see someone reappear, its just like a continuing story. If you gain that much roleplay satisfaction from forcing pks on others, that's a red flag to me. Roleplay is a cooperative experience that really thrives when all actors are working together in the furtherance of something greater than themselves. Keyword: working together

Can't wait to see this applied to the server then. I really hope you're in the right. The issue is not everyone is willing to "cooperate" and "work together" and I'm glad you had no issues on your server, I'm skeptical because I've seen what I've seen in this community for five long years.

But let me pinpoint one thing,

If you gain that much roleplay satisfaction from forcing pks on others, that's a red flag to me.

I don't think anyone gets any specific satisfaction from PKing a character, I think it helps the flow of the server and its characters. Someone dies means someone new appears and so on. The issue is that people just can't give up on their characters cause there's an absolute need to grind stuff left and right. I have never actually PKed anyone bar the usual CP deal and ofc I've let go of many people cause I simply thought it wasn't worth killing them. Never killed anyone as a rebel or else (I think?) and I do not enjoy the whole violent confrontation.

However, I really hope PKs being agreed on will avoid people trying to go invincible in confrontations (like people who take 7 shots to the chest and go on and kill 5 people cause "adrenaline").

D

Deleted member 243

Here's an idea. When people make a character, let them pick ironman mode or normal mode

Pk contract thingy for normal, ironman for hardcore rpers that want to fucking die

Willy del Silly

huh?
Premium Member
Nebulae
I feel like people will be more open to killing their characters off when they feel their story is over since it wouldn't be a drag to get new gear again it seems

Deleted member 442

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Here's an idea. When people make a character, let them pick ironman mode or normal mode

Pk contract thingy for normal, ironman for hardcore rpers that want to fucking die

...we're already letting people do that by voluntarily deciding on when their character dies. if someone wants to die in the first scuffle they get in, that's their choice to make. lol.

D

Deleted member 243

...we're already letting people do that by voluntarily deciding on when their character dies. if someone wants to die in the first scuffle they get in, that's their choice to make. lol.
Either-or my man

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
PK's are needed on HL2RP where character choices can set you up against the impossible. Its a very dangerous world and so it needs to reflect that day-to-day. Character stagnation in HL2RP can get very bad.

But we've also seen the (possibly hundreds of) examples of characters being offed for convenience or OOC motives, or the 14 page arguments over technicalities. I still wouldn't backport the "No-PK's" to HL2, but for GTA? Absolutely.