The Outer Worlds

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
I wanted to enjoy it, but I just couldn't.

After the first impresssion, I couldn't justify buying it full price so I submitted my refund ticket and moved on.

I hope anyone who plays it enjoys it as much as possible and hope I'm just in a minority of people who share these sentiments about the game.
got a spare game pass code kicking about though, if you want to try powering through the first hour later on without the risk to wallet.

Reactions: List

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
got a spare game pass code kicking about though, if you want to try powering through the first hour later on without the risk to wallet.
Nah it's fine mate, honestly - thanks for the offer, highly appreciated.

But I think I'll sit it out and focus on other games, maybe give it another shake down the line.

It's honestly not a pleasant feeling, I know some people revel in shitting on games and what not but when smth you were looking forward to trying makes you feel like that, it's such a downer.

PilotBland

community antagonizer
Nebulae
The pre-release stuff all looked pretty fucking boring and broken and buggy.

I'm not an Obsidian hype-boy, F:NV was good but that's genuinely all I know they did.

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae
I played the game for 44 minutes and by the time I got to the first town I was bored.

keep in mind, this is all subjective; i hope anyone who buys the game enjoys it fully

The story didn't grip me at all.
The movement system felt clunky and was probably giving me motion sickness
The combat was...Boring. When the first enemies you fight are generic bandits; not a good start imo.
The games visual design is too bright, even with the brightness turned down - there's no option to disable bloom.
All in all, by the time I reached the first town I had lost any interest in continuing.

I half think I didn't give it a fair shake, but I seriously didn't enjoy what I played and didn't feel comfortable continuing.
Obsidian games in this genre usually have notoriously slow starts, I remember giving up on New Vegas when i first started playing it aswell. It takes a while to warm up to, and the first 40 minutes definitely isn't giving the game a fair chance. It's still your money though.

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
Obsidian games in this genre usually have notoriously slow starts, I remember giving up on New Vegas when i first started playing it aswell. It takes a while to warm up to, and the first 40 minutes definitely isn't giving the game a fair chance. It's still your money though.
The start of new vegas was much better than outer worlds imho

you're actually given a pretty decent choice right at the start of NV (help the town or help the powder gangers), you weren't dropped straight into boring fetch quests from the get-go.

GenericPlayer

i like firetruck and moster truck
Nebulae
i mean, im playing through it rn and while I can see some resemblances to new vegas, it does feel like it's missing something, and I don't just mean the theme obviously

something feels off, whether it's just the aesthetic of it or if it's the animations or something

will keep playing through it though, see what it's like, get a feel for the main questline first

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
i mean, im playing through it rn and while I can see some resemblances to new vegas, it does feel like it's missing something, and I don't just mean the theme obviously

something feels off, whether it's just the aesthetic of it or if it's the animations or something

will keep playing through it though, see what it's like, get a feel for the main questline first
It is absolutely an obsidian game and I really appreciate the unique setting and interactions and everything, but at the same time I find something about the style incredibly off-putting.

Its not really anything to do with the characters or dialogue or interactions or design so much as it is incredibly bright and flashy its almost uncomfortable? Its cartoony, but serious at the same time. I know they were going for that but it just feels odd.

GenericPlayer

Nebulae
It is absolutely an obsidian game and I really appreciate the unique setting and interactions and everything, but at the same time I find something about the style incredibly off-putting.

Its not really anything to do with the characters or dialogue or interactions or design so much as it is incredibly bright and flashy its almost uncomfortable? Its cartoony, but serious at the same time. I know they were going for that but it just feels odd.
i imagine that when the modding scene rolls around for the game it'd probably be much better

an ENB would probably solve that problem

key

Nebulae
I refunded it.
I played the game for 44 minutes and by the time I got to the first town I was bored.

keep in mind, this is all subjective; i hope anyone who buys the game enjoys it fully

The story didn't grip me at all.
The movement system felt clunky and was probably giving me motion sickness
The combat was...Boring. When the first enemies you fight are generic bandits; not a good start imo.
The games visual design is too bright, even with the brightness turned down - there's no option to disable bloom.
All in all, by the time I reached the first town I had lost any interest in continuing.

I half think I didn't give it a fair shake, but I seriously didn't enjoy what I played and didn't feel comfortable continuing.
But a lot of the people who worked on it aren't at the company anymore.
Dxe69DhV4AEis7e.jpg

I just want one game, ONE GAME THAT BRINGS BACK THE JOY OF CHILDHOOD

FUCK

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Dxe69DhV4AEis7e.jpg

I just want one game, ONE GAME THAT BRINGS BACK THE JOY OF CHILDHOOD

FUCK
Don't get me wrong; it is not a bad game. It is absolutely an Obsidian game and I'm going to push on and probably end up sinking hours into it anyway because it has everything I loved about NV in it.

But I also feel like how you feel will be set in stone in the first hour or two. The style is weird. Its like the 50's brought to life in the space age.

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
try not to depress the fuck out of me, it's been a long fucking day and I've only just been able to get round to downloading this off the fucking EGS

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
try not to depress the fuck out of me, it's been a long fucking day and I've only just been able to get round to downloading this off the fucking EGS
As I've said, you'll probably love it. I'm actually enjoying it - its just a very unique style that is weird to get used to visually because the starting planet is very vibrant. But again, I'm also only in the opening hour or so, so that could be it.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
tfw everyone's review is "its a good game, but i dont like it"

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
tfw everyone's review is "its a good game, but i dont like it"
Nah, I like it. Its just - I suppose I'm used to a lot of recent space games where its a lot more grim and not as openly vibrant and stylised. Its like the 1950's in space - from the creature designs to what I've seen of the planet, the ships, etc.

Mic15000

The Underdog
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

I'm downloading it too, I had to spend 3 hours updating windows to 1903 CAUSE MICROSOFT HATES COMPUTERS, but finally worth it thanks to the 99 Mb/s I'm downloading it :smiley: (Via Microsoft store)

GenericPlayer

Nebulae
okay so ye after playing for around an hour or so, I think that while it's a decent game, it's not really personally justifiable for the price

the first mission regarding edgewater and that deserter camp thing really reminded me of like how you get that choice to divert power from helios one to shit like outer new vegas and shit, which I thought was pretty cool, but the actual town of edgewater itself looks really like, bland? or maybe it's just too empty

Maybe that was the point, but it doesn't actually feel like anyone works there, or lives there, just feels like a set piece

The enemies are another thing, with combat and movement really reminding me of bioshock of all things. Was also expecting more dismemberment to be honest, which sounds nitpicky but like, coming from new vegas of course it was a bit weird

also no mod support (for now, but they are thinking of adding it later)
all in all will probably refund it and wait for a sale later on, will revisit it then, but I don't doubt that it's a decent game in of itself

everyone has their own tastes however, so I do recommend that you go try it yourself to see what you like

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
I'm downloading it too, I had to spend 3 hours updating windows to 1903 CAUSE MICROSOFT HATES COMPUTERS, but finally worth it thanks to the 99 Mb/s I'm downloading it :smiley: (Via Microsoft store)
country side life, barely scratch 500kb/s