Votes: 13 20.6%
  • I've been roleplaying for too long

Votes: 25 39.7%

• Total voters

Freelok

Electron
B A N N E D
Nebulae
The Roleplay Blackpill is what I call it when a person has roleplayed for so long to the point where it loses all levels of fun. This is not because they have simply played to much of it- no. It's because they got too involved.

The 'Roleplay Blackpill' is when a person has dug too deep into a communities OOC facets. This can be either by the forums, TS3 (the prime source back in the day[godspeed for still using it], more so Discord in nowadays), factions, that sort of thing. It's when IC becomes clouded with OOC, where you no longer have the ignorance that actually makes shit fun. That is what I consider the Roleplay Blackpill.

It's something I experienced early on. My fondest memories of literally ANY roleplay server were having no fucking idea what was going on. The lore, setting, characters, drama- none of it. There's a certain level of fun you have on a server when you are not OOCly bound to it, not influenced by anything asides from what your character knows- which translates to what YOU know. I find its far more to fun to not know whats going on, and to just play.

I had several more long paragraphs written out, but I wont include those. I want to hear your guys' experiences with the big bad blackpill. Does knowing too much just make it an unenjoyable experience?

Give your opinions, I suppose.

Reactions: List
D

Deleted member 6062

i know who the other janitors are out of character

i don't know much about anybody else, only have a few steam friends from this community and they don't tell me much nor do i want them to

D

Deleted member 2994

i wouldnt call it a blackpill, i'd call it getting burnt out

you get burnt out on any game if you play it long enough—it just happens incredibly fast in hl2rp because you're basically forced to dedicate yourself to it if you have any position with even a modicum of importance
but it happens with anything, quit rp long enough and you'll come back and enjoy it- sure it won't be as fun as the first time you played, but it'll still be fun
that's just life

obvs seeing how the sausage is made, nepotism and incompetence etc. makes the whole system seem like a shitshow, but you can't say that's not the case with every community out there, rp or not

Deleted member 2925

pilotbland's best friend
HL2 RP Server Director
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
At times I do wish I never involved myself with the teamspeak as much as I have due to how much drama and overall annoyance it’s brought to my time here at Nebulous, though there are also moments I cherish that if I had never been on teamspeak, I would have never gotten the opportunity to experience them.

I do agree to an extent and I find that a majority of the people who are all for “we need to change the map because there’s no rp” and “rebel rp is boring because there’s no events” are also the people who suffer from this. They’ve lost their ways of creating rp for themself rather than having staff and event team members do it for them.

I hope to regain the same level of interest as I had when I first joined the community on i17 CW - though the chances are not high.

Server is still fun at times and I don’t plan to leave any time soon.

Deleted member 61

donator without a cause
Nebulae
Knowing the inner working and mechanics of the gameplay hurts more in WW3RP than it does HL2RP in my opinion. I sometimes do feel a bit burnt out at times but I'm not sure the game is to blame for that.

Frosty

Schlong
Nebulae
I can't meet a new char without checking who they are OOC on the scoreboard. Really does ruin it tbh since I assume everyone has an OOC motive for whatever they're doing even though they won't 90% of the time

Pyromaniac

rob-approved!
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
I mean, I don't think of the server as more or less fun then it was, of course, it was fun learning everything step by step but in all honesty, I never really 'stopped' learning, Playing this server has given me interest in multiple things (such as what the Philosophy might be behind the CP mask | how much morphine is a default dosage <- Was medical RP | The Fight/Flight/Freeze response also getting me interest in what an Adrenaline Rush is, I made forum posts on all of those except the default morphine dosage)

TBH I never really stopped learning, I guess the closest I have gotten to your definition of a 'Black Pill' is a burnout I was experiencing not too long ago where I just started losing interest in the server, but then having given it a week and I am enjoying it as much as I used to.

Also, I feel like your term of 'Black Pill' comes close to the blue pill in the matrix (Blissfull Ignorance)

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Its the nature of every community that the more you play and the more you do in it the more you come to an understanding of how it works and what the community is like - I don't think you can avoid it unless its a community you don't plan on staying at or don't bother to get to get involved in any way except on the server.

For me, being SD here has irrecoverably damaged my perception in regards to how I engage the community - I find it extremely difficult to just look at anything as a player anymore here, though I still have fun when I do play.

Freelok

Electron
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Its the nature of every community that the more you play and the more you do in it the more you come to an understanding of how it works and what the community is like - I don't think you can avoid it unless its a community you don't plan on staying at or don't bother to get to get involved in any way except on the server.

For me, being SD here has irrecoverably damaged my perception in regards to how I engage the community - I find it extremely difficult to just look at anything as a player anymore here, though I still have fun when I do play.

I don't believe it lies in any specific community. I think playing one server for too long can ruin most, if not all, other servers in the genre. You learn the dramas of that community, how the schema works there, the players and all that. And then you apply it to another server where most things hold the same. Hell, most of the people are the same. As I'm sure you know, everyone server hops to what is popular- it's almost like you're playing with the same exact characters, just in a different setting.

I'm not sure where it happened for me, but somewhere along the line as sorts of RP just became tainted. The only way I truly find myself enjoying roleplay is if the server is truly outlandish and fun (sadly, those either don't exist or are owned by scumbags), or if I am owning said server. I can understand where you're coming from with your experience of being an SD.

Also, I feel like your term of 'Black Pill' comes close to the blue pill in the matrix (Blissfull Ignorance)

I'm referring to the 'Black Pill' as the loss of that ignorance, similar to the actual black pill.

Suppose the red pill is learning of the community, getting enriched with the people and all it has to offer. The Blackpill is getting too in depth and running of course, ruining enjoyment.

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
Speaking personally, whenever I decide to roleplay on the server - I usually do it for the benefit of others rather than myself. I'll usually have an interesting character idea and want to see how people react and engage with it, I find enjoyment out of giving enjoyment to others

Kinda why I'm still here doing this stuff to be quite honest.

Isuckatgaming

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I don't think knowing OOC stuff puts me off.

Knowing stuff definitely deletes some of the mystery yes, and while that feels great early on, having some OOC knowledge about how things work can open up new avenues.

I myself just got burnt out completely on roleplay itself and don't find enjoyment in it anymore, anytime i try i just end up leaving the server bored and sour

Nebulae
I remember mediating a silly argument between a bluesuit and a baldie while playing on my cop a couple of weeks ago. I was going about it pretty naturally until I checked the scoreboard and found out one of them was being played by @cns . Suddenly my world turned upside down as I started questioning why I was holding up a b a s e d forumgoing roleplayer in a generic scenario. In reality, nothing was really wrong and I didn't need to do any of that.

Stay away from the scoreboard, fellas. OOC perception ruins everything.

cns - he/him/his

The Winner
Nebulae
I remember mediating a silly argument between a bluesuit and a baldie while playing on my cop a couple of weeks ago. I was going about it pretty naturally until I checked the scoreboard and found out one of them was being played by @cns . Suddenly my world turned upside down as I started questioning why I was holding up a b a s e d forumgoing roleplayer in a generic scenario. In reality, nothing was really wrong and I didn't need to do any of that.

Stay away from the scoreboard, fellas. OOC perception ruins everything.
Don't feel down, I honestly couldn't care less.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
One of the biggest things I think that curbed my enjoyment was realising what people will get somewhere based on who they are as opposed to others.

There's some people who can (for example) defect on whatever character they want and you know they'll be included and accepted. Someone else does it and they'll be PK'd for being a former Union official.