Votes: 13 20.6%
  • I've been roleplaying for too long

Votes: 25 39.7%

• Total voters

Dallas

event guy
Nebulae
love the events, the stories, the cool stuff that we make happen

got in the way of my priorities for sure - so now it has the backseat to everything else, will dip back in now and then but the days of it taking over are over

you need to find the right story to tell - and keep it short
[doublepost=1555012280][/doublepost]
Speaking personally, whenever I decide to roleplay on the server - I usually do it for the benefit of others rather than myself. I'll usually have an interesting character idea and want to see how people react and engage with it, I find enjoyment out of giving enjoyment to others

Kinda why I'm still here doing this stuff to be quite honest.
this is where it all went wrong for me, did things that were only for other people, got nothing out of it myself and it started to wear me out

Reactions: List

cns - he/him/his

The Winner
Nebulae

got in the way of my priorities for sure - so now it has the backseat to everything else, will dip back in now and then but the days of it taking over are over

waiting for the play tickets

Isuckatgaming

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae

[doublepost=1555012280][/doublepost]
this is where it all went wrong for me, did things that were only for other people, got nothing out of it myself and it started to wear me out

write the storm you bastard

Postino

Atom
Nebulae
The Roleplay Blackpill is what I call it when a person has roleplayed for so long to the point where it loses all levels of fun. This is not because they have simply played to much of it- no. It's because they got too involved.

The 'Roleplay Blackpill' is when a person has dug too deep into a communities OOC facets. This can be either by the forums, TS3 (the prime source back in the day[godspeed for still using it], more so Discord in nowadays), factions, that sort of thing. It's when IC becomes clouded with OOC, where you no longer have the ignorance that actually makes shit fun. That is what I consider the Roleplay Blackpill.

It's something I experienced early on. My fondest memories of literally ANY roleplay server were having no fucking idea what was going on. The lore, setting, characters, drama- none of it. There's a certain level of fun you have on a server when you are not OOCly bound to it, not influenced by anything asides from what your character knows- which translates to what YOU know. I find its far more to fun to not know whats going on, and to just play.

I had several more long paragraphs written out, but I wont include those. I want to hear your guys' experiences with the big bad blackpill. Does knowing too much just make it an unenjoyable experience?

Give your opinions, I suppose.
YOU BEAUTIFUL BASTARD

You got the issue spot on.
I've always tried to come back to roleplay because of nostalgia but I know all the work-arounds there's just no air of real mystery or danger anymore

Nebulae
dont take anything seriously, dont get sucked into teamspeak, make friends with new players, and you wont ever get bored.

usually it limits how far you get but its still fun seeing where it takes you.

Dallas

event guy
Nebulae

A young, fresh faced Blackquill [Ollie] listens to some advice from the resigning Server Director Dallas [Malcolm Tucker]​

when @Blackquill came into LP with that animie phoenix wright or w/e avatar i fucking KNEW the guy was going right to the fucking top

and you know what, he's still going, so i was wrong to rant that he wouldnt last in that video, lost temper

shibe

Molecule
Nebulae
The Roleplay Blackpill is what I call it when a person has roleplayed for so long to the point where it loses all levels of fun. This is not because they have simply played to much of it- no. It's because they got too involved.

The 'Roleplay Blackpill' is when a person has dug too deep into a communities OOC facets. This can be either by the forums, TS3 (the prime source back in the day[godspeed for still using it], more so Discord in nowadays), factions, that sort of thing. It's when IC becomes clouded with OOC, where you no longer have the ignorance that actually makes shit fun. That is what I consider the Roleplay Blackpill.

It's something I experienced early on. My fondest memories of literally ANY roleplay server were having no fucking idea what was going on. The lore, setting, characters, drama- none of it. There's a certain level of fun you have on a server when you are not OOCly bound to it, not influenced by anything asides from what your character knows- which translates to what YOU know. I find its far more to fun to not know whats going on, and to just play.

I had several more long paragraphs written out, but I wont include those. I want to hear your guys' experiences with the big bad blackpill. Does knowing too much just make it an unenjoyable experience?

Give your opinions, I suppose.

greatly said and feel exactly the same way, can't find any kind of enjoyment out of roleplay anymore no matter what i do. you know all the secrets, probably the most major blow off for me was the amount of favoritism you see around in OOC. some people will lighten this by saying "nah bro you know who's a good rper if they're your friend!", but the thing is that nothing feels genuine for me anymore.

all the cool shit you're seeing is one way or another done by OOC authing. all those stores with great potential are utter useless shits you have to slave away on.

all those cool guys with big weapons and suits look cool, but aren't doing anything out of the ordinary, they're bored as shit which is why they'll be often be displaying unserious characteristics and fucking about, because there's nothing to do, most people aren't going to waste their time roleplaying if there's a chance they'll lose their hard for worked script.

i always heavily dislike the awkward tyrinnical stance of cps where they beat you up for shit like speaking another language and like more the free do your own thing NYC kind of HL2RP, which is exactly the view you get when you join the server for the first time, i suppose it's the big reason why people like Lewis' art so much

lastly im happy as fuck i never went on teamspeak, the few times i went on it while roleplaying i couldn't ever get serious by the people speaking about OOC shit or shitty drama from nebulous cloud, just shows how many people see this more as a MMO where they gotta grind

Last edited:

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
If I'm being entirely honest though I think my absolute biggest gripe and the biggest thing that puts me off are the people who refuse to accept they're uncreative but will rag on everything else as a deflection. I'm not talking about the people who'll hold their hands up and admit they simply don't find enjoyment anymore such as @cns - those people I have nothing but respect for because at least they can be honest about it and can admit it just isn't for them anymore.

I'm more so talking about the people who are clearly passionate and talented roleplayers but will spin their own personal narrative to justify why it is they can't do something even if there is ample proof that they're an absolute minority in that category while painting it as fact.

I could go into details but I'm sure everyone has seen such discussions pop up on the forums from time to time, whether it be the Civil Protection players who claim its "impossible" to do anything rogue despite such actions being taken by many people in the faction, or those in the rebel half of things who will repeatedly make the same character while refusing to branch out into the other options on the table and claim they have little to actually do. Helix, for me, has been like a breath of fresh air even if it hasn't captured me the way I was captured three or four years ago. Things feel dynamic and fresh even if I'm not personally involved. That goes for a lot of people who quit during the rigmarole of CW but returned when the switch happened.

Not everyone has reached the end of their time RPing or even in this specific community and it always frustrates me to see people who aren't really doing anything other than dragging others down and trying to tarnish the enjoyment they have as early as they can because they aren't able to expand or try new things. Even newer players are bombarded by these sorts of posts.

Its easy enough to understand why so many people get burned out as quickly as they do when they take the word of others instead of giving it a go themselves. If I hadn't of done that I would have never come to LP.

Stalker

the very best rp man on planet earth
Nebulae
Becoming staff is the quickest way into the roleplay blackpill

You stop having any restrictions, you can fly about and see all the map the day after it comes out, know what's going on where and have rp interrupted by a lot more OOC stuff

Even trying self imposed restrictions doesn't help much because you move about so much helping people, seeing rp scenarios you wouldn't usually and ooc things you wouldn't have available as a normal player

God bless the few staff able to balance both :(

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Becoming staff is the quickest way into the roleplay blackpill

You stop having any restrictions, you can fly about and see all the map the day after it comes out, know what's going on where and have rp interrupted by a lot more OOC stuff

Even trying self imposed restrictions doesn't help much because you move about so much helping people, seeing rp scenarios you wouldn't usually and ooc things you wouldn't have available as a normal player

God bless the few staff able to balance both :(
The biggest thing for me was honestly being able to see the things players in this community would never admit to openly - all the shit-talking in LOOC or PM's, the leaked logs from TS or Discord you get given (especially as SD) and whatever else. It can really fuck up your reputation and trust of people when you see them for who they really are compared to their public personas.

I don't regret being SD but it was honestly the biggest reason I stepped away.

Stalker

the very best rp man on planet earth
Nebulae
The biggest thing for me was honestly being able to see the things players in this community would never admit to openly - all the shit-talking in LOOC or PM's, the leaked logs from TS or Discord and whatever else. It can really fuck up your reputation and trust of people when you see them for who they really are compared to their public personas.

I don't regret being SD but it was honestly the biggest reason I stepped away.
"Ah yes i see my good ooc friend x is roleplaying and having fun, we've been good for a while and never had an issues"

>opens console and you're being shit talked in looc by them

"oh"

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Also quick shoutout to @Dallas for putting up with my constant lore questions back on LP which led me into writing the stuff for CW and helped me in wanting to stay around to see where it went even if I didn't do a good job.

Writing lore and giving other people a good foundation is one of the things I still do find rewarding as hell to do.