tRPGs

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
If/when you guys use images to represent your characters, where do you get them from? (Think ref pictures or map icons)

I've settled on making mine using my very subpart art skills and MS paint (getting there getting there), but I'm curious about other options as well

(if you can recommend any software to replace paint with it'd be more than welcome as well)

i use pinterest and take a reference picture from there

maybe edit it in photoshop to fit the campaign

for a Don't Rest Your Head campaign i edited everyone's refs to fit the same style
Aleks_Kovac.png
Redhunter_Char.png
Chloe_Slater.png
Winston_Blue.png
Zurkhan.png

Reactions: List

cns - he/him/his

The Winner
Nebulae
fuckin love dnd wish i could play it more, mostly gm and my campaigns fizzle out after a few sessions cause im a bastard who hates asking people to come play
i have like 20gb of good battle maps tho and a buncha pdfs of other systems i wanna play one day besides 5e like only war or lancer

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
fuckin love dnd wish i could play it more, mostly gm and my campaigns fizzle out after a few sessions cause im a bastard who hates asking people to come play
i have like 20gb of good battle maps tho and a buncha pdfs of other systems i wanna play one day besides 5e like only war or lancer

honestly i've been considering setting up a West Marches world with @Warwick so you and loads of other people that want to play but cant have somewhere to go

cns - he/him/his

The Winner
Nebulae
honestly i've been considering setting up a West Marches world with @Warwick so you and loads of other people that want to play but cant have somewhere to go
played in a west marchs style discord it was fun, wouldnt mind it i just love dming and gming

lancer is great, doing a campaign of this now probably my favorite table top aside from dnd, only war is pretty cool too
i got back into 40k recently playing total war warhammer, space marine and soulstorm with ultimate apoc so i love that and only wars looks like the best ttrpg for it
and lancer just looks dope but i need to sit down and understand the combat

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
i got back into 40k recently playing total war warhammer, space marine and soulstorm with ultimate apoc so i love that and only wars looks like the best ttrpg for it
and lancer just looks dope but i need to sit down and understand the combat

i would fucking love to run a 40k ttrpg at some point

i heard Wrath & Glory's good

vtipoman

Electron
Nebulae
hates asking people to come play
I mean if you have to regularly convince people to keep playing that's not on you, or at least it's not the problem
imo, the way it should work is: people agree on what they will be doing and how + when (or they join the group already aware of those) -> people show up on time -> people have fun -> if there's a problem with any of those points it gets discussed

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I mean if you have to regularly convince people to keep playing that's not on you, or at least it's not the problem
imo, the way it should work is: people agree on what they will be doing and how + when (or they join the group already aware of those) -> people show up on time -> people have fun -> if there's a problem with any of those points it gets discussed

the general consensus is to get D&D players first and make them your friends

far easier than turning your friends into D&D players

vtipoman

Electron
Nebulae
the general consensus is to get D&D players first and make them your friends

far easier than turning your friends into D&D players
Yeah
Played seriously with two groups so far, both online. First one the DM + people from a "looking for players" subreddit, second one idk but probably a similar situation
People usually show up on their own a bit before the agreed on time. If they can't make it that day, they let the rest know. Everyone comes each week because (I like to think) they want to play the game. If that changes, I'm sure it'll be brought up.

On a different note my DM got me as a new D&D player to make me into a broader tRPG player haha

cns - he/him/his

The Winner
Nebulae
Yeah
Played seriously with two groups so far, both online. First one the DM + people from a "looking for players" subreddit, second one idk but probably a similar situation
People usually show up on their own a bit before the agreed on time. If they can't make it that day, they let the rest know. Everyone comes each week because (I like to think) they want to play the game. If that changes, I'm sure it'll be brought up.

On a different note my DM got me as a new D&D player to make me into a broader tRPG player haha
i got really into dnd listening to adventure zone and that led to me watching crit role and dimension 20

but yeah ive just played a few sessions with friends and then i just feel weird asking

FMDev

Funny SCP Lady
Nebulae
i wish exalted's play was as good as its world/concept was cool. here's hoping that new thing they're working on will do well.

vtipoman

Electron
Nebulae
i got really into dnd listening to adventure zone and that led to me watching crit role and dimension 20

but yeah ive just played a few sessions with friends and then i just feel weird asking
yep that's perfectly understandable
in the end it's an activity that takes time and energy, like @MaXenzie said it's much easier to get together with people who already like that investment/return than to try to make them from scratch

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
i wish exalted's play was as good as its world/concept was cool. here's hoping that new thing they're working on will do well.

exalted is the kind of thing where you read a niche greentext about johnny bravo suplexing god through a table made of Universeglass and you're like "YEEAAAAA"

and then you actually play it and its literally algebra

cns - he/him/his

The Winner
Nebulae
453300b5b84bdff8851475271f7ba1ec_original.jpg

this is a cool setting i wanted to do some dnd in, like its just a bunch of big rooms and shit it looks dope i got the pdf

vtipoman

Electron
Nebulae
453300b5b84bdff8851475271f7ba1ec_original.jpg

this is a cool setting i wanted to do some dnd in, like its just a bunch of big rooms and shit it looks dope i got the pdf
checked it out, seems interesting
even the game itself sounds worth at least giving a shot for the experience of it (and hey, one could probably play it with others as well if they really wanted to)

I recently discovered there is work being done on an SCP tRPG (it's currently in beta), so that's something I'd really like to try one day, it does seem more oriented toward oneshots and portraying shorter missions/events though

also, I've been rewatching a certain show for the sake of nostalgia/a certain enjoyment of the setting and found out it, out of all things, also has an officialy licensed tRPG, maybe worth trying out for a single session as well haha
(yes, I was a brony.)

Last edited:

Warwick

Mum Looks Like Tracy Beaker
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I’d be down

honestly every irl friend I’ve ever introduced to DnD has loved it; just sit around with a few drinks and a takeaway and have a good time the first couple sessions and before they know it they’re invested in their characters - you’ll know if someone doesn’t want to be there
Also can we all agree that one of the few advantages of online tRPGs are the sick customizable dice
dice-so-nice.gif
local man doesn’t realise real, physical dice also come in many colours, patterns, designs and materials

FMDev

Funny SCP Lady
Nebulae
local man doesn’t realise real, physical dice also come in many colours, patterns, designs and materials
foundry lets me have giant marble gamer dice that clatter like metal at 500% volume and real life does not.