tRPGs

vtipoman

Electron
Nebulae
local man doesn’t realise real, physical dice also come in many colours, patterns, designs and materials
local man doesn't realise not real, digital dice can be modified as often as one wants on a feature-by-feature basis for free (and do stuff like flames when you get a nat6)

Of course, physical dice have their advantages as well- for instance, from what I've seen, more pricy options can have more unique shapes and designs than virtual dice usually do

Last edited:

Warwick

Mum Looks Like Tracy Beaker
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
local man doesn't realise not real, digital dice can be modified as often as one wants on a feature-by-feature basis for free (and do stuff like flames when you get a nat6)

Of course, physical dice have their advantages as well- for instance, from what I've seen, more pricy options can have more unique shapes and designs than virtual dice usually do
just buy plastic rocks and throw them it's more fun than clicking a button and seeing coloured lights on a screen

real dice goblins would spit on you for preferring digital dice

vtipoman

Electron
Nebulae
just buy plastic rocks and throw them it's more fun than clicking a button and seeing coloured lights on a screen

real dice goblins would spit on you for preferring digital dice
Both have advantages and disadvantages and both can feel good to use imo

Warwick

Mum Looks Like Tracy Beaker
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Both have advantages and disadvantages and both can feel good to use imo
dgmw if there's an option to roll virtual dice i'm always going to roll them

but there's no comparison between virtual and physical in terms of tactility

cns - he/him/his

The Winner
Nebulae
I’d be down

honestly every irl friend I’ve ever introduced to DnD has loved it; just sit around with a few drinks and a takeaway and have a good time the first couple sessions and before they know it they’re invested in their characters - you’ll know if someone doesn’t want to be there

local man doesn’t realise real, physical dice also come in many colours, patterns, designs and materials
Been meaning to get a game in real life going might one day once lockdown fully ends and stuff
west march would be cool tho

Reactions: List

vtipoman

Electron
Nebulae
>be me
>bard
>free healing (only takes time and a check)
>heal a lot
>GM introduces a scar mechanic (we agree) to balance out the healing
>PC loses an eye the very same session
>I love being an adventurer

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Running Star Wars Saga Edition for some friends, set between Order 66 and the formation of the Empire. Minus having to kick out one player it's been going really well. It's probably my second favorite game I've ran, beaten out by Tomb of Annihilation.

In the process of swapping from Roll20 to FoundryVTT, only downside is that the Saga Edition system isn't fully realized there yet. Everyone in the Foundry community is so nice though and he said he'll get issues worked out within the next few days.

If you're a DM and pay for Roll20 Premium, I definitely recommend switching to FoundryVTT. Same features and more, modernized and up to date while only being a single down payment of 50 bucks. If you have books purchased on Roll20, theres a Chrome extension that will export your campaign into a zip. There's a program from Patreon that turns the zip into a FoundryVTT game flawlessly. I've used it on Tomb of Annihilation and used it to make my own Compendium of 5E content with no issues. If you play on an obscure system, then there will be issues transferring character sheets/NPCs but those are pretty easy to remake manually.

It's also got all sorts of addons that are as easy to install as using the Steam Workshop. Definitely check here if the systems you use are released before you buy.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/r20exporter/apbhfinbjilbkljgcnjjagecnciphnoi?hl=en
https://www.patreon.com/kakaroto

Rb4DwVI.png

Jiudo - a Jawa Soldier. He comes from Tattooine with his companion droid, an IG-86 played by another player. Doesn't come to games so much because he's australian, and we're all US/Canada based. Before meeting the party, he was a smuggler with IG-86. They travelled to the Core Worlds for the first time as part of a job, and were left on a Space Station near Alderaan.

One of my favorite moments his character has had so far - During an escape from an Imperial controlled space station, Jiudo climbed through the vents in the hangar bay only to completely shut off power to the lights just as Stormtroopers were rolling in. He was the last person to make it to the ship and had to run through a wave of soldiers, pretty fun.

ccOyzkj.png

IG-86-9441 'Cog' - Originally was the companion droid of Jiudo, but transferred into 'ownership' of another party member partway into the game. He has a Heuristic Processor so he's a lot more free-thinking and able to act as an actual member of the party. He's playing the Soldier class and looking to go through the process of forming into a more IG-88 like skillset throughout the campaign.

One of my favorite moments he's had so far was when the party was during a prison raid as part of a contract from the Alderaani government to rescue a rogue Imperial Admiral, he made the decision to push ahead since he's tougher than a lot of the party. Bumped into a whole gang of Stormtroopers and nearly died the following turn. One of the Stormtroopers tried to throw a grenade at them, only for him to crit fail - it would have most definitely killed him had it hit.

MelWSvT.png

Vivimel Sloane - A noble human female that comes from Coruscant. Her mother was assassinated sometime after Order 66 and her father sent her away on her own believing there was a price on their family's head. She ended up making a brief stay on a Space Station over Alderaan some months later, trying to get back in contact with her dad.

While the party was working another task for the Alderaanian Government, some members of the party were pitted in a Gladiator match to curry with the Hutt. From the audience, she was able to use a few of her support abilities and passed some stealth checks to come in very clutch for the two competitors. They probably would have died without that support.

ek9CugM.png

Gume Saam - A Chadra-Fan Scoundrel that was on his way to Onderon for a job offer as a mechanic worker. During his travel he was jumped by pirates and his ship completely destroyed. The party came across him after they left Felucia, stuck in his destroyed ship debris. He's been trailing along with them ever since, working up credits and equipment again so that he may actually one day get to his dream job on Onderon.

During the previously mentioned gladiator match, one of the heaviest hitting competitors was a repurposed Battle Droid from the Clone Wars with a heavy set of armor and a grenade launcher. Gume strung together a bunch of Ion Grenades, which does damage to droids specifically, on his bandolier - activated them all at once and threw the bandolier at the droid. He missed, but grenades deal half damage on a missed throw. The total came out to 80 damage, and the droid just so happened to have exactly 40 hp. Everyone went nuts when he one shot the bad droid.

g9p8vHK.png

Jace Crewill - A human Scout-Fringer from Alderaan. He was the party's pilot and acted as a face for a good bit of the time. Ended up telling him to not meet with us anymore since he was being very rude, playing gta rp during sessions and being misogynistic/hating on other party members in and out of game for absolutely no reason at all. He also randomly turned his entire character persona into a copy of Homelander, picture included, between sessions which was very strange.

He took part in the gladiator match but ended up leaving the party to explore his new-found talents elsewhere.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Running Star Wars Saga Edition for some friends, set between Order 66 and the formation of the Empire. Minus having to kick out one player it's been going really well. It's probably my second favorite game I've ran, beaten out by Tomb of Annihilation.

In the process of swapping from Roll20 to FoundryVTT, only downside is that the Saga Edition system isn't fully realized there yet. Everyone in the Foundry community is so nice though and he said he'll get issues worked out within the next few days.

If you're a DM and pay for Roll20 Premium, I definitely recommend switching to FoundryVTT. Same features and more, modernized and up to date while only being a single down payment of 50 bucks. If you have books purchased on Roll20, theres a Chrome extension that will export your campaign into a zip. There's a program from Patreon that turns the zip into a FoundryVTT game flawlessly. I've used it on Tomb of Annihilation and used it to make my own Compendium of 5E content with no issues. If you play on an obscure system, then there will be issues transferring character sheets/NPCs but those are pretty easy to remake manually.

It's also got all sorts of addons that are as easy to install as using the Steam Workshop. Definitely check here if the systems you use are released before you buy.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/r20exporter/apbhfinbjilbkljgcnjjagecnciphnoi?hl=en

Rb4DwVI.png

Jiudo - a Jawa Soldier. He comes from Tattooine with his companion droid, an IG-86 played by another player. Doesn't come to games so much because he's australian, and we're all US/Canada based. Before meeting the party, he was a smuggler with IG-86. They travelled to the Core Worlds for the first time as part of a job, and were left on a Space Station near Alderaan.

One of my favorite moments his character has had so far - During an escape from an Imperial controlled space station, Jiudo climbed through the vents in the hangar bay only to completely shut off power to the lights just as Stormtroopers were rolling in. He was the last person to make it to the ship and had to run through a wave of soldiers, pretty fun.

ccOyzkj.png

IG-86-9441 'Cog' - Originally was the companion droid of Jiudo, but transferred into 'ownership' of another party member partway into the game. He has a Heuristic Processor so he's a lot more free-thinking and able to act as an actual member of the party. He's playing the Soldier class and looking to go through the process of forming into a more IG-88 like skillset throughout the campaign.

One of my favorite moments he's had so far was when the party was during a prison raid as part of a contract from the Alderaani government to rescue a rogue Imperial Admiral, he made the decision to push ahead since he's tougher than a lot of the party. Bumped into a whole gang of Stormtroopers and nearly died the following turn. One of the Stormtroopers tried to throw a grenade at them, only for him to crit fail - it would have most definitely killed him had it hit.

MelWSvT.png

Vivimel Sloane - A noble human female that comes from Coruscant. Her mother was assassinated sometime after Order 66 and her father sent her away on her own believing there was a price on their family's head. She ended up making a brief stay on a Space Station over Alderaan some months later, trying to get back in contact with her dad.

While the party was working another task for the Alderaanian Government, some members of the party were pitted in a Gladiator match to curry with the Hutt. From the audience, she was able to use a few of her support abilities and passed some stealth checks to come in very clutch for the two competitors. They probably would have died without that support.

ek9CugM.png

Gume Saam - A Chadra-Fan Scoundrel that was on his way to Onderon for a job offer as a mechanic worker. During his travel he was jumped by pirates and his ship completely destroyed. The party came across him after they left Felucia, stuck in his destroyed ship debris. He's been trailing along with them ever since, working up credits and equipment again so that he may actually one day get to his dream job on Onderon.

During the previously mentioned gladiator match, one of the heaviest hitting competitors was a repurposed Battle Droid from the Clone Wars with a heavy set of armor and a grenade launcher. Gume strung together a bunch of Ion Grenades, which does damage to droids specifically, on his bandolier - activated them all at once and threw the bandolier at the droid. He missed, but grenades deal half damage on a missed throw. The total came out to 80 damage, and the droid just so happened to have exactly 40 hp. Everyone went nuts when he one shot the bad droid.

g9p8vHK.png

Jace Crewill - A human Scout-Fringer from Alderaan. He was the party's pilot and acted as a face for a good bit of the time. Ended up telling him to not meet with us anymore since he was being very rude, playing gta rp during sessions and being misogynistic/hating on other party members in and out of game for absolutely no reason at all. He also randomly turned his entire character persona into a copy of Homelander, picture included, between sessions which was very strange.

He took part in the gladiator match but ended up leaving the party to explore his new-found talents elsewhere.

the dickhead having homelander as his character ref is extremely fitting

vtipoman

Electron
Nebulae

Rb4DwVI.png

ccOyzkj.png

MelWSvT.png

ek9CugM.png

g9p8vHK.png

Foundry also looks and feels nicer and less generic, but that's up to personal preference (+ it has the Dice so Nice addon if that's your thing)

Though, you do have to host it on your own computer and have others join directly, so that brings a few downsides as well

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Do the players have to also pay $50 for it tho

you pay 50 quid for a license that you can lease out to other players if they want to DM

so long as only 1 Foundry game is being DM'd on 1 license at a time, anyone can be the DM using one person's license