Serious unofficial HL2RP² launch feedback thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I'll take some time off from lamenting the usual s2k stuff to instead raise a point about something closer to my heart. The gallery of aliens - or rather, the lack thereof - to portray as player characters not limited to events and somesuch.
-Headcrabs are locked behind premium
-Antlions have that whole hive mind thing going that makes it difficult for me to RP
-All of Race X is no-go for the sake of narrative oomph whenever they're gonna appear
-Panthereyes/chumtoads/alien grunts are limited to admin/event characters due to their abilites or overall strength
-Anything fully aquatic is limited in every sense of the word
-Bullsquids have no process for whitelisting + lack of SWEP means admins possessing NPCs are ten times more immersive

The only options I see right now for myself are vortigaunt and houndeye. I already play a vort, and I still feel content with the heights of houndeyeRP I had back in early Helix, so I don't feel any pull towards that faction right now.

go to char auths, make your own alien

i did it for John Doe

Reactions: List
Nebulae
-Headcrabs are locked behind premium
Should honestly change imo, more zombies need to be seen in a post-uprising setting. Can lock another whitelist behind premium if need be

-Antlions have that whole hive mind thing going that makes it difficult for me to RP

All you need is a second guy to flag on with at the bare minimum

-All of Race X is no-go for the sake of narrative oomph whenever they're gonna appear

It is very easy for this to be done very distastefully/for them to essentially blend in with Xenians despite opfor's lore itself giving us a very different interpretation of them, so ""narrative oomph"" is right

-Panthereyes/chumtoads/alien grunts are limited to admin/event characters due to their abilites or overall strength

Grunts are limited because the armored ones are tied to the odessa controller (we still intend his reappearance at some point) and non-armored grunt models dont work properly in the content pack ( @deathwolf worth fixing in community contributions? )

Pantheres/toads arent actually restricted, go apply!!!!!

Only thing is I'm not sure there are subclasses for them, but it shouldn't be impossible to hack something together until that changes

-Anything fully aquatic is limited in every sense of the word

Le amphibian... cannot walk on le land..??

-Bullsquids have no process for whitelisting + lack of SWEP means admins possessing NPCs are ten times more immersive
Maybe worth adding antlion spit SWEP @Numbers ? Alongside basic whitelist moderation

Nebulae
Turns out tonight's raid wasn't organized in conjunction with rebel cell leaders. The soul-drain has been mitigated knowing this was just down to mishap in organizing things.

tbf it was never explicitly stated that the raids had to be organized with cell leaders. it also just wasn't a problem before because nobody bothered to request their own raids up until now except anti-tankspy. there is some leaning there to giving individual players the freedom to organize on their own attempts and not funnel the Cool Map Mechanic into the hands of a few people; so this isn't a 'mishap' so much as it is an experiment in letting rebels run around with the autonomy they espouse so much.

in practice (and since i was already made aware afterwards that a bunch of cells had plans of their own) this doesn't work out so well and i am now an advocate of uniting rebelRP with saddam tier authoritarianism (/s)

probably just making it so it requires 2-3 cells' agreement to auth one now,

The soul-drain has been mitigated knowing this was just down to mishap in organizing things.

shit like this makes it so much more difficult to fix the issues though. what is it about a repeatable raid system where you usually get the guns you lose back through trading/supply stations that is 'soul-draining'? i understand that many things contribute here to an unfun experience (lag, lack of fog early on, rpgs, imbalance, scheduling etc.) but we have been continuously changing things according to feedback after nearly every single raid and if there is no change in players' perception that is proportionate to these improvements (and the ones that are being made as we speak) then i don't know what else to do except scrap the whole thing and add instead to the perception of """pointlessness""" in the map. it is very fucking stressful to do things knowing that a single misstep can s o u l s u c k players faster than an essence thieving vort

Last edited:

Deleted member 38

john rebelrp
Nebulae
I'm quite confused as to when the state of the server reached a point where freely available assets get toolgunned away mid-fight, despite the opposite side being given means to deal with it? It's happened previously, we've had APCs destroyed.
What confuses me even further is that it was allegedly in response to failure to obey a command:
P3BsLOu.png

I struggle to comprehend why such a command is issued in the first place by staff during a generic player vs. player engagement, but what's even weirder to me is the fact that, contrarily to my understanding of the command (to drive it up - higher - which I did, I drove it up a hill and when combat ended there I brought it back down), it meant to remove it from the fight?
MKBl6Pw.png

Tinbe

Molecule
Nebulae
shit like this makes it so much more difficult to fix the issues though. what is it about a repeatable raid system where you usually get the guns you lose back through trading/supply stations that is 'soul-draining'?
I simply struggle to enjoy PvP S2K in general, so I suppose the souldrain from raids is just another manifestation of it. Wording I used in the near aftermath of the raid resulted in the phrasing being a little too colorful. Vortigaunts are such a valuable component in nearly any fight that I can't just not attend certain fights with good conscience. Problem there, however, is that I've always, always struggled to see that value due to my own lack of skill.

Finding the golden median of positioning in a firefight has been difficult to me for the longest time. Short-to-medium has consistently been instant death from full-auto fire of any sort, medium-to-long is shaky grounds because people underestimate how fast they can drop a vort with semi-auto fire, and it's just plain impossible to hit anybody at longer distances because your targets are the size of four pixels that oftentimes blend in with whatever else is around them.

In that sense, I think my experience is probably different from others, and the reason they put green checkmarks on my initial (and emotionally driven) post was because something else about the raids doesn't sit right with them. However, I can't speak for other people, so I'll merely clarify that I likely have my own quirky gripes.
tbf it was never explicitly stated that the raids had to be organized with cell leaders. it also just wasn't a problem before because nobody bothered to request their own raids up until now except anti-tankspy. there is some leaning there to giving individual players the freedom to organize on their own attempts and not funnel the Cool Map Mechanic into the hands of a few people; so this isn't a 'mishap' so much as it is an experiment in letting rebels run around with the autonomy they espouse so much.
Of course, I was trying to say it was a mishap on the rebel player side in terms of organizing the raid, I don't know enough about staff affairs to judge whether it was a mistake on your part.
Should honestly change imo, more zombies need to be seen in a post-uprising setting. Can lock another whitelist behind premium if need be

All you need is a second guy to flag on with at the bare minimum

It is very easy for this to be done very distastefully/for them to essentially blend in with Xenians despite opfor's lore itself giving us a very different interpretation of them, so ""narrative oomph"" is right

Grunts are limited because the armored ones are tied to the odessa controller (we still intend his reappearance at some point) and non-armored grunt models dont work properly in the content pack ( @deathwolf worth fixing in community contributions? )

Pantheres/toads arent actually restricted, go apply!!!!!

Only thing is I'm not sure there are subclasses for them, but it shouldn't be impossible to hack something together until that changes

Le amphibian... cannot walk on le land..??

Maybe worth adding antlion spit SWEP @Numbers ? Alongside basic whitelist moderation
Baller, we gaming.

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
Don't think taking out headcrab from premium will do any good at all it barely is played anyways as people resort to immediate left click upon the sight of a zombie/crab. It's a benefit some premium players enjoy and as you probably guessed premium is necessary, but as a whitelist it's not exactly game changer.

If you want people to enjoy something non-premium you could make lower level Race X available, I understand certain creatures will not be a common sight (Pit Worms, Gene Worms, Voltigores...) but something like Pit Drones which are seriously not that hard to RP and play shouldn't be an issue to implement, plus you can even have the occasional Shock Trooper, after all they're soldiers of their Race, so it should be more normal to see them away from their home world and exploring.

No.

deathwolf

I AM SPIDERMAN, GRIST LIES! I AM HIM REALLY! ﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
needs dev work

deathwolf

GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
in practice (and since i was already made aware afterwards that a bunch of cells had plans of their own) this doesn't work out so well and i am now an advocate of uniting rebelRP with saddam tier authoritarianism (/s)
the day I am forced to work with some of the people I have seen in the resistance I will leave ;p

deathwolf

GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
casually ruining ecosystems since 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.