Serious unofficial HL2RP² launch feedback thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinbe

Molecule
Nebulae
then Valve spent making the models for OTA
Au contraire, Blackquill. The beta models of OTA lack loadbearing webbing on their vests that real-life militaries use to attach pouches and such onto the soldier's outfit.
(This is the best image I could find because every other has that big honking OICW obstructing the model torso)
E3_Hydra_tunnels.jpg

These only came about when the game released with the finalized models, as seen here.
Npc_combine_s.jpg

Reactions: List

Cindy

*sigh* ud know this if u read the silmarillion...
Nebulae
The pair of you have put more hours of thought into the nuances of something that is basically never ever talked about in the games then Valve spent making the models for OTA

And that's pretty great, because it shows the source material isn't the be all end all.

Theorycrafting around limited fictional material is honestly pretty fun. I get to ask stupid questions to things game developers have no reason to actually consider at length and decipher possible answers anyways, all to the benefit of a hobby I really enjoy: Bringing said fictional material to life in an interactable, simulated medium that can be used for storytelling, gameplay and so much more.

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
Au contraire, Blackquill. The beta models of OTA lack loadbearing webbing on their vests that real-life militaries use to attach pouches and such onto the soldier's outfit.
(This is the best image I could find because every other has that big honking OICW obstructing the model torso)
E3_Hydra_tunnels.jpg

These only came about when the game released with the finalized models, as seen here.
Npc_combine_s.jpg
Yeah but they only changed the model probably because of the leak right

I doubt anyone sat down and contemplated the lore implications of making an OTA vest not orange

Personally I'm mad we never got to see the OICW.

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
I'm just glad we were never one of those servers that made all combine gear biolocked with a lock breaking mechanic that gave you a chance to die/ break the gun.

went on one of them servers once, someone's group ambushed a combine squad, handful of pistols and SMGs, every single one of them broke trying to break the biolocks. waste of time
Also they could've at least just used the XCOM logic that an enemy's weapon self destructs upon death of its user

Makes more sense then some biolock

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Something I've always loved about HL2 is people forget how insanely close The Resistance was to outright losing before A Red Letter Day tbh.

Kleiner had just fixed the teleporter issue which Mossman hadn't had chance to leak as she only finds out that day. If she had chance to leak it, the Combine would have fixed the Nova Prospekt teleporter and been capable of instantly sending manpower/troops anywhere they wanted. It was game over from that point.

Cindy

*sigh* ud know this if u read the silmarillion...
Nebulae
"THE SUIT HACKS IT THE SUIT HACKS IT"

Then you watch jonny bluesuit literally pick up AR2's from dead OTA gordon killed

something I really wanted to explore as far as rebel science was concerned was replicating/stealing the Combine's gene-coding technology and giving it to their partisans so they could interface with Combine technology (like the AR2)

considering roleplayers came up with biolocks and valve came up with genecodes to the exact same problem of keeping certain weapons out of the player's hands, it kinda validates it as a way to apply that kind of quality control.

and as i said above w/ rebels hijacking the genecoding sequences to allow them to fuck w/ combine technology, there's always a cool way to expand upon stuff like to explain possibile inconsistencies and to also give weight to these things in a roleplaying context.

Tinbe

Molecule
Nebulae
I hate the "AR2" because it was supposed to be a giant flare gun, they barely changed it at all when it was turned into a 'firearm'.
Sounds like a skill issue, I love the "each pellet contains 30 rounds" autorifle concept. Makes it feel like a pseudo-alien gun (although there's no reason the firing chamber is exposed besides looking cool).

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
Sounds like a skill issue, I love the "each pellet contains 30 rounds" autorifle concept. Makes it feel like a pseudo-alien gun (although there's no reason the firing chamber is exposed besides looking cool).
Main thing I dislike about reanimation projects, they typically remove that and make it work like any earth gun.

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
Sounds like a skill issue
This is stupid, seriously.

I don't like lazy asset reuse when it adversely effects everything else (that's why the SMG shoots a grenade far too big for it, for example, it was supposed to be for the OICW) and that's a "skill issue"?

Take your darned glorified dark matter pellet gun out of here.

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
hl2rpers in the year of our lord 2023 still debating biolocked weapons and why models were made the way they were

they were just trying to make a cool ass tech demo ish game with cool looking guns and bad guys, thats it fellas

Erkor

Narrative/Lore Management
Nebulae
Also they could've at least just used the XCOM logic that an enemy's weapon self destructs upon death of its user

Makes more sense then some biolock
holy shit this reminds me of actual genuine lore i wrote or proposed on exontic gaming that said combine soldiers EXPLODE ON DEATH so their gear remains unstealable

literal deus ex man in black levels of goobery

Reggie

fresh prince of baghdad
Nebulae
turn the fog down- i get the point is to limit the capabilities of vorts and snipers but at this point it's ridiculous. there hasn't been single clear day in weeks. you shouldn't make sub-classes of weapons inherently by turning up the fog- instead limit the use of these weapons by building an environment where fights take place that naturally limits their abilities instead of just using the fog as a crutch. make players think about snipers when they cross, large, open areas.

Tyrone

Electron
B A N N E D
Nebulae
turn the fog down- i get the point is to limit the capabilities of vorts and snipers but at this point it's ridiculous. there hasn't been single clear day in weeks. you shouldn't make sub-classes of weapons inherently by turning up the fog- instead limit the use of these weapons by building an environment where fights take place that naturally limits their abilities instead of just using the fog as a crutch. make players think about snipers when they cross, large, open areas.
Yeah, add more cover to areas and have wide open spaces. If a sniper/vort is killing too many, start drawing up plans to kill them etc

ovxy

infamous instigator
Media Developer
Premium Member
Nebulae
Most of the fog is map fog but I agree that we shouldn’t amplify it with stormfox fog

bilack

Electron
Nebulae
Most of the fog is map fog but I agree that we shouldn’t amplify it with stormfox fog
Yes, I think gunplay should play out naturally rather than be artificially influenced with stuff like stormfox fog. If you have a sniper, grab yourself a couple of piss jars and camp on a vantage point over a nice open area. If you have an SMG, better stay away from open areas and try to limit the fight to urban CQC. If you have a rifle, do whatever pleases you.

Combat is best enjoyed raw.

Deleted member 4609

Doomboy / Femguy
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Yeah, add more cover to areas and have wide open spaces. If a sniper/vort is killing too many, start drawing up plans to kill them etc
Yes, I think gunplay should play out naturally rather than be artificially influenced with stuff like stormfox fog. If you have a sniper, grab yourself a couple of piss jars and camp on a vantage point over a nice open area. If you have an SMG, better stay away from open areas and try to limit the fight to urban CQC. If you have a rifle, do whatever pleases you.

Combat is best enjoyed raw.
The fog exists as it does right now because it perfectly matches the draw distance of the map, down to the exact unit.

You would not be able to shoot beyond it regardless if the fog were completely removed or not as other players, props and map elements wouldn't render past it anyway.

One of the reasons why this map works so well despite its size and attention to detail is that it severely limits your draw distance, which includes the rendering of players, so the fog /exactly/ stops people quite literally popping in and out of existence on your screen as you walk towards them.

There is no way to scout players from a long range, they will only be drawn when incredibly close to you, which for example means snipers would never be able to hold a chokepoint or gather intel ahead.

This map cannot provide a good experience for snipers, Combine or Vort, that isn't incredibly jarring, thus sometimes I do bring fog in to the rendering edges to make the adjustment more seamless.

bilack

Electron
Nebulae
T
The fog exists as it does right now because it perfectly matches the draw distance of the map, down to the exact unit.

You would not be able to shoot beyond it regardless if the fog were completely removed or not as other players, props and map elements wouldn't render past it anyway.

One of the reasons why this map works so well despite its size and attention to detail is that it severely limits your draw distance, which includes the rendering of players, so the fog /exactly/ stops people quite literally popping in and out of existence on your screen as you walk towards them.

This map cannot provide a good experience for snipers, Combine or Vort, that isn't incredibly jarring, thus sometimes I do bring fog in to the rendering edges to make the adjustment more seamless.
That makes more sense, I didn't know that.

It would look odd to see people disappearing in thin air at further distances. Cheers for the clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.