We could have had HL2RP on Arma 3

Mute

`impulse-approved
Nebulae

With the types of Roleplay servers on Arma 3, it's not a long shot to think that we could've had a half-life themed roleplay very easily.

we could, but probably wont be a neb server

alex has said it would be near impossible due to their donation policy? Im not sure if the TOS prevents donations to servers with the promise of benefits or if they want a cut or something

D

Deleted member 4425

alex has said it would be near impossible due to their donation policy? Im not sure if the TOS prevents donations to servers with the promise of benefits or if they want a cut or something
think that was more or less the same answer for a gta server as well

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae

We looked into it a very long time ago, not HL2 RP but just generally the idea of a server in Arma 3.

This is very vague and doesn't really specify anything of what they consider to "affect gameplay" because even though it might seem silly; they could deem that a cosmetic affects gameplay if they wish. It'd be silly to develop something and then be shut down because of dumb rules like this.

think that was more or less the same answer for a gta server as well
GTA is even worse, they disallow any profit and that also includes profit to pay developers. FiveM have a clause that permits profit to their single selected preferred game server provider and on top of that they have code for "entitlements" which is a system allowing a player to pay money for something on a server but they get a cut of it; so it's pretty clear it's not disallowed because of Take Two (which would be understandable) but moreso because they want to ensure they get their %.

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
We looked into it a very long time ago, not HL2 RP but just generally the idea of a server in Arma 3.

This is very vague and doesn't really specify anything of what they consider to "affect gameplay" because even though it might seem silly; they could deem that a cosmetic affects gameplay if they wish. It'd be silly to develop something and then be shut down because of dumb rules like this.

GTA is even worse, they disallow any profit and that also includes profit to pay developers. FiveM have a clause that permits profit to their single selected preferred game server provider and on top of that they have code for "entitlements" which is a system allowing a player to pay money for something on a server but they get a cut of it; so it's pretty clear it's not disallowed because of Take Two (which would be understandable) but moreso because they want to ensure they get their %.

Arma 3 is in my opinion at least doable because in the event of them deeming something against their ToS I've heard their first step is to tell which thing is the one they deem against the TOS - Which you can then remove (although, I have not been able to confirm these claims). Still, there's a risk there as you can spend quite some time working on models and textures for donators to have additional cosmetics and have it shut down by them on release.

There's the option of asking current owners of Island Life communities to see how they fare with the whole ToS deal since I'm sure they have their own experience and stories and also ways to deal with stuff since if Bohemia Interactive really is sketchy (bar taking photos of military bases and getting arrested for it) then Island Life owners may have their ways to work around their tricks otherwise they wouldn't survive.

Onto the GTA one... Basically, it's a "don't make money even with your own work, and then give us your work". Rockstar already banned modding from multiplayer, so it wouldn't surprise me if this was something that was forced onto FiveM, however, their approach is still completely unbearable for communities that do not get money from a different source of income that is not the server.

Reactions: List
D

Deleted member 3818

idk much about community monetization or whatever but I know bohemia can be cunts, I've heard of them allegedly filing dmcas and threatening to get the russian secret police involved over gmod models ported from arma

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
idk much about community monetization or whatever but I know bohemia can be cunts, I've heard of them allegedly filing dmcas and threatening to get the russian secret police involved over gmod models ported from arma

I suppose that's over a Russian community right? Otherwise it wouldn't make too much sense, considering they're Czech.

D

Deleted member 3818

I suppose that's over a Russian community right? Otherwise it wouldn't make too much sense, considering they're Czech.
from what i remember it was some presumably russian guy who was affiliated or at least had some sort of connections with bohemia that went around reporting gmod content creators and threatening them to take down their models or he would get his friends in the russian police involved or something like that. idk if he was actually with bohemia but I know bohemia themselves starting threatening legal action against some people around the same time.

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
from what i remember it was some presumably russian guy who was affiliated or at least had some sort of connections with bohemia that went around reporting gmod content creators and threatening them to take down their models or he would get his friends in the russian police involved or something like that. idk if he was actually with bohemia but I know bohemia themselves starting threatening legal action against some people around the same time.

The situations don't even seem related though

Maybe it was an Arma 3 mod maker? I know some Arma 3 modders add copyright to their works since making detailed models and textures for heavily detailed fleets of vehicles and equipment is a pain in the ass enough to have it stolen by lolWutz69 from the Gerald's Modding community. Still, acting like a little kid and saying "I'll call my big brother so he beats ur ass" isn't exactly the way to go around stolen content, that's why you pay damn copyright for LOL.

I know BIS has had cases of threatening legal action against certain circles but the latest I heard was a deal related to cheaters, not modders or community owners. In fact, if anything, there were issues in the past relating Arma 3 videos with DMCA, which they themselves clarified it was not them pulling those copyright claims considering they actively encourage the A3 community to make videos and YT is crawling with hour-long movies of mil-sim deployments and Island Life fuckery. It was merely another case of YouTube throwing strikes without even checking who makes the claim or if the claim is valid at all, a classic among YT content creators, sadly.

I do recall something related to specific mods or something related to BIS, but if I recall correctly, that was related to people basically making mods that ripped off Arma 3 DLC content. A standard among game companies that allow modding, I guess.

Another legal action they had to take was against Greece since they had arrested two of their photographers or something because they took photos of a couple of greek airbases or something.

To quote Wikipedia on this;
The title eventually became ARMA 3. The Greek media reported in 2012 that two Czechs were arrested on the Greek island Lemnos, the setting for ARMA 3 after being charged with espionage. This was later confirmed to be Martin Pezlar and Ivan Buchta, both of them employees at Bohemia Interactive. The main reason for their charge is that they took photos of military installations, which under Greek law threatened their national security.[15]

D

Deleted member 3818

The situations don't even seem related though

Maybe it was an Arma 3 mod maker? I know some Arma 3 modders add copyright to their works since making detailed models and textures for heavily detailed fleets of vehicles and equipment is a pain in the ass enough to have it stolen by lolWutz69 from the Gerald's Modding community. Still, acting like a little kid and saying "I'll call my big brother so he beats ur ass" isn't exactly the way to go around stolen content, that's why you pay damn copyright for LOL.

I know BIS has had cases of threatening legal action against certain circles but the latest I heard was a deal related to cheaters, not modders or community owners. In fact, if anything, there were issues in the past relating Arma 3 videos with DMCA, which they themselves clarified it was not them pulling those copyright claims considering they actively encourage the A3 community to make videos and YT is crawling with hour-long movies of mil-sim deployments and Island Life fuckery. It was merely another case of YouTube throwing strikes without even checking who makes the claim or if the claim is valid at all, a classic among YT content creators, sadly.

I do recall something related to specific mods or something related to BIS, but if I recall correctly, that was related to people basically making mods that ripped off Arma 3 DLC content. A standard among game companies that allow modding, I guess.

Another legal action they had to take was against Greece since they had arrested two of their photographers or something because they took photos of a couple of greek airbases or something.

To quote Wikipedia on this;
in this case it was with people porting models from arma to gmod for posing and stuff, nobody took the guy seriously but I'm pretty sure he was the one who got bohemia to start taking legal action

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
in this case it was with people porting models from arma to gmod for posing and stuff, nobody took the guy seriously but I'm pretty sure he was the one who got bohemia to start taking legal action

Then I guess what BIS did was add like soft copyright for all Arma 3 mods or something.

I've seen plenty of Gmod stuff that contains Arma assets and they never really had an issue, so I'm unsure how it works.

shibe

Molecule
Nebulae

faq explains it slightly more
unknown.png

so stuff like zombie whitelist and conts wouldn't be allowed i guess as it changes gameplay

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
faq explains it slightly more
unknown.png

so stuff like zombie whitelist and conts wouldn't be allowed i guess as it changes gameplay

Hey, according to that, they have to approve it first - Meaning they have to give their explicit approval to stuff you monetize before you implement it. That means they can't pull a "well we will sue you for this" card without giving you a warning in advance.

So you can give shirts and stuff, and other perks, so long as they do not give a practical advantage? That's not too bad.

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
imagine hl2rp on a bigger map with higher population,,
need

It's not necessarily only HL2RP, Arma 3 offers so many opportunities. However, HL2RP wise, at the very least, considering there are modules that spawn enemies and stuff near players, it could be possible to have the outside of "safe zones" like cities or rebel hideouts spawn creatures like crabs, antlions, houndeyes and much more. Even water creatures like ichthyosaurs. And there are colour filters too.

The opportunities are endless, but there's also the need to secure something and ensure the server would be able to survive - It's quite the risk. Finding stability and a returning yet constantly renewing player base is not an easy task. I'm sure even for nebulous it'd have some difficulty, I'm pretty sure a small % of the community actually owns A3.

Goopy

Molecule
Nebulae
It's not necessarily only HL2RP, Arma 3 offers so many opportunities. However, HL2RP wise, at the very least, considering there are modules that spawn enemies and stuff near players, it could be possible to have the outside of "safe zones" like cities or rebel hideouts spawn creatures like crabs, antlions, houndeyes and much more. Even water creatures like ichthyosaurs. And there are colour filters too.

The opportunities are endless, but there's also the need to secure something and ensure the server would be able to survive - It's quite the risk. Finding stability and a returning yet constantly renewing player base is not an easy task. I'm sure even for nebulous it'd have some difficulty, I'm pretty sure a small % of the community actually owns A3.

tbh i think a large enough of players that roleplay cross over with Arma 3 players, but yeah. also, we'd be able to reach a new demographic. ik WW3RP got idealized as the ideal server for Arma 3, but im not sure it would work for that.

im still waiting for our ss13 server tbh

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
tbh i think a large enough of players that roleplay cross over with Arma 3 players, but yeah. also, we'd be able to reach a new demographic. ik WW3RP got idealized as the ideal server for Arma 3, but im not sure it would work for that.

im still waiting for our ss13 server tbh

Issue with both is that the "serious RP" vibe we get from Gmod is not the same nor it feels the same in Arma 3, so a few may find it odd to get used to.

WW3RP would work just fine in my opinion, but nearly nobody (I think?) would want to play a civilian considering the vast amount of opportunities Arma offers for combat.

D

Deleted member 3818

Then I guess what BIS did was add like soft copyright for all Arma 3 mods or something.

I've seen plenty of Gmod stuff that contains Arma assets and they never really had an issue, so I'm unsure how it works.
They seem to have calmed down with it since then but yeah idk how it works. There's quite a few arma 2 models but you still dont see much of anything from arma 3.

If neb were to do a arma 3 server though imo it shouldn't be hl2rp, at least not in the city life sense. It should be something that takes full use of armas capibilities and suits the type of gameplay it offers. All in all though I think branching out into other game would be a good move for neb, it could be an oppertunity to attract a new playerbase and give the community a revival of sorts.