Serious Went to a Jordan Peterson talk

ddæ

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
Name one example.
no point, i'm about to get in the shower and it's not like you'll read then before spouting your regurgitated dreck for two more pages anyway
holy shit.

This guy just said that black people have lower IQ's.

This is what JBP does to your brain.
i dont watch peterson, i haven't fully devoted myself to one of his lectures and haven't touched his work in months - i'd certainly look out to buy his book sometime soon though, as i'm looking to get back into literature.

and you're going to sit here and tell me, that on average, a black male/female in the continent of africa is projected to have a higher intelligence than a white man/woman in europe/the americas? one in a million, literally, maybe.
Theory debunked nerd.
shut up incel
But yeh it has some merit to it.
yes, it does
Not really no, couse he gives pretty shit opinions on all of them.
which have evidently worked. he's been married to his wife healthily for decades by following his principles, physically and mentally he is healthier, refreshed. but i'm sure you hold more merit than a man whom was a professor at harvard and the university of toronto. do give your take on it.

Reactions: List

Husky

Nebulae
Mainly because everyone you argue with or disagree with, you subtly or outright imply/say they're retarded

Like JP for example
JP talks about subjects he understands, from someone on a roleplay forum that's fine, from someone who's in a very influential position to a lot of impressionable young men can be very harmful.

Dallas

event guy
Nebulae
I admire Peterson with regards to his lectures on Fascism / Communist ideologues and some of his stuff about the Bible. Not too big into his contemporary stuff, but I absolutely loved his lecture on Solzhenitsyn and the Soviet regime - that two hour lecture sent me on a whole tangent with regards to research during my Undergraduate thesis, just out of pure fascination for some of the topics he glossed over.

I'd be interested to hear what other people think of his historical stuff - I am also interested in hearing why people are drawn to Peterson so much, why has he become this icon in popular culture? What is he doing that other contemporary philosophers aren't?

basically this, as i said on page one, is where my interest in peterson begins and ends

there's certainly worse people to have as a role model in our world today; and when i look at many people in authority, peterson strikes a figure of some respectability - so not everything needs to be a dichotomy

his history is pretty spot on (broad strokes stuff, you get much more of a factual understanding of the Gulag system through Applebaum's book) but i really would love to hear his thoughts on the end of the soviet union and the eastern bloc - the violence, the destitution and the emergence of long dormant nationalities

that could be really good stuff

Husky

Nebulae
i dont watch peterson, i haven't fully devoted myself to one of his lectures and haven't touched his work in months - i'd certainly look out to buy his book sometime soon though, as i'm looking to get back into literature.

and you're going to sit here and tell me, that on average, a black male/female in the continent of africa is projected to have a higher intelligence than a white man/woman in europe/the americas? one in a million, literally, maybe.
nononono

you said black people biologically have lower IQ's.

A theory that's been dubunked since the late 1950's.

yes, it does
kk

which have evidently worked. he's been married to his wife healthily for decades by following his principles, physically and mentally he is healthier, refreshed. but i'm sure you hold more merit than a man whom was a professor at harvard and the university of toronto. do give your take on it.
Just because he says it doesn't necessarily mean he does it
Jordan-Peterson-Room.jpg

Oswald

Fish
Nebulae
Mainly because everyone you argue with or disagree with, you subtly or outright imply/say they're retarded

Like JP for example
Naw he puts in a few paragraphs of some bull shit and then when he’s called out he goes “NO YOU WRONG” and when he’s proven wrong a couple more times he doesn’t reply. But it is a fun read to be fair :smiley:
[doublepost=1542671775][/doublepost]
Statistically*
P.S; he didn’t even say biologically, you’re really grasping at straws at this point

Dallas

event guy
Nebulae
People can speak their minds and their ideas

Creating 'cults' clearly isn't the guys M.O
people who deify him clearly don't get one of the core parts of his lectures - being a blind ideologue makes you less able to reason, it makes you less able to live in the world with freedom of thought

so i do indeed cringe at the cultish trends around people like JP

ddæ

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
nononono

A theory that's been dubunked since the late 1950's.

kk

Just because he says it doesn't necessarily mean he does it
Jordan-Peterson-Room.jpg
how dare a 56 year old man look 56

Deleted member 374

jesus christ denton
Nebulae
they do, scientifically - they're also less socially developed on average due to cultural upbringing and natural evolution - though as for the claims of deserving slavery; i wont comment. do i believe black and white people should coexist peacefully? yes, but you can't deny scientifically that white people are more socially and mentally developed than black people, and i would go on by extension to say that white and black people shouldn't live together. think whites in europe, and blacks in africa. not even me trying to be an edgy right-winger, just factual.
yikes

Angel

she/her/they nonbinary transfem
Nebulae
I am also interested in hearing why people are drawn to Peterson so much, why has he become this icon in popular culture? What is he doing that other contemporary philosophers aren't?
I need to comment on the fact that I find it amazing that a 'thinker' is able to fill auditoriums, based on exactly that, his ideas, something which has been missing for a while, unfortunately.

The reason I believe he is so popular comes from two things, although they're very much the same

- He says common sense things, things we have all held as obvious, but they have recently been under attack by the growing extremism, so it is refreshing for people who still identify with the center, who have been been left out of the loop because each side seems to be more insane than the other by the day
- He captivates due to his ability to maintain calm (most of the time) when he is in a debate, while being very articulate in the way he constructs his arguments, something that has been vanishing from the public discourse. On the right, you have the 'owned libtard cry venezuela xD' and on the left you just scream 'racist, sexist and transphobic' to shut down the other side

He is not as abrasive/crazy as Milo (I think Milo is hilarious, but I think he is, many times, wrong) or as politically coloured as Shapiro.

With news and information being digested so much, 3 minute, 5 minute, 7 minute segments where you can't fit anything, people have been left with a thirst for long form dialogue, and the technology is now here to allow it - Podcasts. 1 hour, 2 hours 3 hours... Joe Rogan's podcast is insanely popular, because you actually get guests who can develop their thoughts+throw jokes in there to make it easy
I think it is the same reason someone like Neil Tyson is well known, they both managed to make something 'boring' (astrophysics, psychology) into something interesting by being good narrators.

here he says why he thinks he is popular himself at 1 minute

entire segment is worth watching anyways

now, endangering myself of stepping ON THE TRAP
This guy just said that black people have lower IQ's.
That's because... people in Africa, have, on average, lower IQ than people in Europe who in turn have an average lower IQ than people in Asia.
Although these statistics seem to be evident, the reasoning as to why that is does not seem to be race, but a multitude of factors.
You have to give context to his statement, because depending on the context, that statement might or might not make sense.

Then again, throw random sentence completely out of context to make someone look eViL is easier

if you need to find the statistics www.google.com

Reactions: List

Deleted member 374

jesus christ denton
Nebulae
That's because... people in Africa, have, on average, lower IQ than people in Europe who in turn have an average lower IQ than people in Asia.
Although these statistics seem to be evident, the reasoning as to why that is does not seem to be race, but a multitude of factors.
You have to give context to his statement, because depending on the context, that statement might or might not make sense.
it's no secret that those who live in africa tend to have lower standards of living than those who live elsewhere. it's almost as if being befallen by poverty, disease, starvation, and political violence isn't conducive to education and learning.

Mancom37

Atom
Nebulae
In itself the question of IQ does not take in consideration things that are required for jobs such as ones that depend on the creativity of the person.

Deleted member 374

jesus christ denton
Nebulae
In itself the question of IQ does not take in consideration things that are required for jobs such as ones that depend on the creativity of the person.
iq is a very rigid metric based on a very rigid set of variables. you cannot accurately quantify intelligence.

Mancom37

Atom
Nebulae
iq is a very rigid metric based on a very rigid set of variables. you cannot accurately quantify intelligence.
I know, I am saying that we should not disregard iq as a tool but still understand how it does not cover the "know all do all" of how a society should work.